z

Young Writers Society



Adulthood

by TriSARAHtops


I.
Adults know what they're doing
They can make decisions and meet deadlines
They don't fuss about or fumble
That's what I assumed

Adults don't have doubts
They know how to be assured and affable
They're never frightened and never fearful
That's what I thought

Adults have it all figured out
They're confident and comprehending
They've got their wisdom and their wit
That's what I believed

***

II.
There was a time when my parents knew all the answers
When adults were infallible and I was oblivious
Now I still feel unworldly
And there's so many answers I'm yet to find

Growing up used to be a far-off future
Something I could never imagine applying to me
It was always so very distant
But now it's suddenly here

I'd thought I'd have grown out of school-girl crushes
Uncertainty would no longer plague me
And my shyness would have long worn away
Yet they're all darker clouds than ever before

***

III.
I'd assumed I'd know what I was doing
That I could make decisions and meet deadlines
And have grown out of all my fussing and fumbling
But I don't know how to be so in control

I thought I'd have no doubts
And I could be assured and affable
No longer feeling fearful or feeling frightened
But I'm still bewildered by the world

I believed I'd have it all figured out 
By now I'd be confident and comprehending
I'd have some wisdom and my wits
But I still don't know who I am


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:47 am
View Likes
Aley wrote a review...



Hello, TriSARAHtops.

So I think you've got some good things going on here with the way you're breaking this down into multiple sections. I think that's probably on the right track for what you're looking for. You've got a good flow too, and I like that you took the initiative to erase the punctuation. I'd probably encourage you to get rid of capitals the more you go down, so like the first one have it just like it is, maybe add back the punctuation, then the second one erase it so that just the sentences have the capitals, and then the third one don't even capitalize "I" or anything. I think that would probably artistically appeal towards the message of this poem.

However, I do have something to say about that as well. Mostly I feel like you're rushing things a little too quickly and repeating yourself a little too much. Instead of trying to write this with it reflecting on words you've already used directly, write it with a first person present point of view the whole time. Go from, "I thought I'd have no doubts/ And I could be assured and affable" to something like "I doubt I will be able to [insert a specific doubt you have right now], and I am never sure of anything. I really want to strangle that woman too! God I'm so afraid of [fear]" and that sort of thing. That's going to make it a lot more relatable because you're going to be dropping the pretense of making this cute and cuddly. Instead, go for the meat of the problem. Cut off the flesh, the niceties, the sweet innocent words, and get to the bones. You say you thought your parents were always sure of themselves? Well show us. Show us a time when you went to your parents and you know now that they had no idea what they were doing, and they were scared, but they looked like heros to you because you knew that your parents could never be scared, could never cry, or whatever that thing was. Then, show us the reality at the end of the stanza.

You could even replay the same event three times. The first time when you were a child, the second time, from the point of view of an older sibling seeing the situation, [doesn't matter if you have had or had one in the situation (which could also be completely imaginary)] and then the third as the adult in the situation too. Show us everything, one incident, and exactly how each point of view would see it. Make it something dramatic for both an adult and a child, like the dog got hit by a car, or something that will draw out your emotions now as an adult where you would need to be strong for a child.

I hope this helps draw out the emotion in your poem and if you take my advice and write it, I'd really love to read it. Give me a shout!

-Aley




TriSARAHtops says...


Ahh thank you so much! :D Really appreciate your feedback, and definitely taking it into consideration when I get around to looking back over this.



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 527
Reviews: 6

Donate
Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:22 pm
View Likes
Pternoha wrote a review...



Ah, adulthood! So intimidating, and so bloody overrated.

I remember having been in that same situation. And I still am not quite sure who I am to be honest.

The articulation of the poem is quiet smart, from the first part exposing a perceived, childish perceiption of adults, to the third part contrasting that to what, or who, you are on the verge of "official adulthood". It is billiant, in that it captures the fact that one does not become an adult in a blink. Becoming your own sentient adult, well equipped to deal with the hurdles of life, is lifelong enterprise.

The lack of punctuation is not particularly negative. Quite the contrary actually, I feel tht the stanzas are enough to set the "formal" flow of the poem, and the lack of punctuation gives some leeway for personal interpretation of that flow.




TriSARAHtops says...


Thanks for the review!



User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 59
Reviews: 42

Donate
Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:19 pm
View Likes
EPICnumber1 wrote a review...



Hi Epic here...

I thought this poem was pretty good. You expressed you words through the poem as if it were a personal thing.

I think you could have added punctuation to help the flow of the poem.

I also like the last line, 'But I still don't know who I am' It adds a bit of uncertainty to the poem (as a good thing). You started off saying how much you think that the adults have it all figured out but then you become the adult and you still don't know who you are.

I completely get what this poem is about (I'm not an adult myself yet though) but the way you wrote it, it helps the reader understand you view point and relate and empathise.

The only nit pick I have would be to add punctuation but other than that it's great. By the way I know not all adults are always in control, I've seen some close to me completely loose it.

Overall great poem!

Keep writing
EPICnumber1
~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~
~




TriSARAHtops says...


Thanks for the review! :D




The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats