z

Young Writers Society



Careless Whispers on Cool Summer Eves

by TreeHugger12


I wrote this awhile back. During the time when a scandal had erupted in the country. In the Philippines, being a relatively small country, this was a very big deal. Some "videos" of a sexy actress had leaked and everything about them was dug up by the media. They had a video of them dancing together while this song played. Leave a comment and I hope you enjoy!

----

Every time someone hears the song “Careless Whisper”, they think not of the beautiful song but of the song distorted by a scandal. This song, for me, however, will never tarnish and the original beauty of its melodies will never be forgotten.

Each time I hear that song, a sense of nostalgia comes over me like warm water washing over me, trickling and dripping off my skin, relaxing me. The intoxicatingly soft and sensuous melodies of the jazz saxophone send me back to the most blissful moments of my carefree childhood. It’s strange that of all songs, this one was the most memorable from my childhood.

I was about nine when my forever active grandmother became the officer-in-charge of a tourism promotion in one of the most historical places in the Philippines; the walled city of Intramuros. Oh, How I remember those days! How I wish I could go back and relive every moment within the old, battle worn, crumbling walls of Intramuros.

The days were short there as I glanced from exhibit to exhibit of every region in the Philippines that presented the quality of their products, the intricacy of their unique traditions and culture and the beauty of the land they called home. I had seen the vast expanse of the Philippines within a few weeks without ever stepping a foot off of the borders of the Greater Metropolitan Area. In those short weeks I had met many people, seen famous faces like those of our president and the People’s Champ, Manny Pacquiao and learned of things I could never have imagined about our country and its people. But, it was not that which I wish to revisit. No, it was the cool evenings of the summer or weekends spent under the skies and stars of Intramuros that I wish to revisit.

Sometimes, I would walk along the cobblestone streets and Spanish style houses of the city and hear the clip-clops of horses and kalesas, feeling as if I was thrown back into the 18th century. Scenarios of everyday life during the colonial period played in my head as I walked thoughtfully along the old walls. Then, a car would honk its horn and I was back to the present, kind of disappointed but happy nonetheless. Early in the evenings, I would walk the expanse of the walls with my grandma, occasionally stopping, as she attended to her business. I sometimes pretended to be a Spanish guard patrolling the borders of the city and looking at a vast sea of water like my grandma told me was there before, instead of the vast sea of traffic jams, towering buildings and the golf course which was on the other side of the wall.

I still remember going to the ruins of a cathedral, somewhere behind the main events tents. It had been destroyed during the Japanese occupation. It had no roof, but most of the walls were whole but some had their top parts blown away by the bombs during the 40’s. The front of the building was still standing like the shape of a huge house, complete with all the windows and doors and a balcony. I imagined it in its heyday; a beautiful cathedral, with white walls and pictures of angels and saints adorning its ceiling, an ornate altar with a chalice made perhaps of silver or gold with beautiful stones embedded in its rim. I also imagined a huge cross made of wood with gold tips and Jesus hanging there, with that merciful and forgiving look in his eyes as blood dripped from the wounds on his forehead. But that was before the war, now it’s a ruin.

During the day, it was just a blank picture of the ruins, as the day died, the music came alive. My grandmother usually had something else to do and left me under the care of employees and security guards. Live performances by jazz groups and singers on an improvised stage made of the large pieces of the broken building and sang the nights away. The mango trees behind the stage seemed to have caught the stars with their leaves and sometimes danced to the soulful tunes played by the performers. Couples on picnic blankets showed their public displays of affection (a.k.a. PDA) and caressed each other under the starlight, whispering sweet nothings and careless whispers into their love’s ear. I, on the other hand, was just sitting on one of the benches, listening, watching and feeling the moments. The romance, happiness and pure ecstasy filled these cool summer evenings of that year. It was with but one song that I took a mental picture and this memory of those happy summer eves watching the stars in eyes of couples and imagining about the past, one song that fills my heart with the memories of joy from those times, the one song that was distorted in the view of many because of one ill decision, one scandal; the one song that forever remains in good terms with me no matter what happens, “Careless Whisper”.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
59 Reviews


Points: 6502
Reviews: 59

Donate
Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:25 pm
TreeHugger12 says...



Honestly, I didn't think anyone would like this. So... thanks!

Oh and I did use to write poetry, but I think I stink at that too. But I tried again so here's the link. Tell me what you think. :)

post677526.html#p677526




User avatar
411 Reviews


Points: 42428
Reviews: 411

Donate
Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:04 pm
BenFranks wrote a review...



Hi there.

Imagery and perhaps content wise this is interesting, but it's only really interesting if the reader's intrigued. I think the subject, author's note and opening paragraph develops the captivation to a certain extent, but then everything finds itself very formal. This is where you're going to get a kind of reader divide, where the people who are genuinely interested in what you're writing continue to read and the people who find it a little bit too much of a reminisance, might stop.

In terms of structure and flow, this was ace. I enjoyed how you went from each subject to the next and how you've narrated it to form a good sense of clarity. It also gives us a strong idea of your opinion towards things, without seeming to heavy -- which is good.

Anyway, hope this helps & keep up the good work.
Ben




Random avatar

Points: 3529
Reviews: 18

Donate
Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:58 pm
MinisterOfHighHopes wrote a review...



Hi TreeHugger!

Interesting. I think this is a very descriptive and eloquent piece. Have you ever tried to write poetry? I think you would be good at that. I liked the reminiscence in you piece. It makes it very interesting. I like how you tied everything in with the song too.

Keep Writing.

-Minister





"While we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."
— Albus Dumbledore