z

Young Writers Society



When I do it once, I have to do it twice.

by Treanna_Kills


When mommy hits me once, mommy hits me twice,
Then mommy says she’s sorry, and that it wasn’t very nice.
I know the pain is real, and I know it isn’t right,
But mommy says she loves me, so I just hold her tight.
Kids at school say I’m bad, they sometimes say I smell,
I guess I take after mommy, cause I just scream and yell.
Teachers say I’m rotten, and shouldn’t be in school,
And wearing the same shirt twice, makes me feel like quite a fool.

When daddy did it once, daddy did it twice,
Then daddy said he’s sorry, and that it wasn’t very nice.
I know the pain is real and I know it isn’t right,
But daddy says he loves me, so I let him hold me tight.
The boy I like at school called me a slut today,
I can’t explain my actions, I’ve always felt this way.
Daddy says they’re jealous, they can’t love me like he can,
Daddy says they’re just boys, that I need a man.

When I do it once, I have to do it twice,
I close my eyes as it starts to feel quite nice.
I know the pain is real, and I know it isn’t right,
I clench the blade, until my fist turns white.
Kids at school say I’m bad, I know that they can tell,
I guess I hadn’t noticed the scars as they started to swell.

Teachers say I’m troubled, they say that I need help,
I must say I agree, but it’s much too late for that now.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
461 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 461

Donate
Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:24 pm
GingerLizzy wrote a review...



This was actually quite good and you had a funky little rhyming scheme, although I find the scheme maybe a little too "happy" for the story behind the poem.

You had a very deep meaning that was really quite scary. It's not super original, but the twists that you put into it made it become your own, and that's always nice to see. The repition kind of got on my nerves, but ther next minute, I really liked it. Line five in stanza two didn't really fit in with the whole rythmn of the pome, and made it falter a little. I think it needs to have more syllables.

And the last two lines didn't really fit well with me. They put a dampener on the end of your poem but I can't really say way. This is because I'm not so sure how they do and i haven't a clue how you could improve it.

Hope this helps... To an extent,
Ginge

:]




User avatar
922 Reviews


Points: 42011
Reviews: 922

Donate
Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:16 pm
GryphonFledgling wrote a review...



Intense poem here... Very sad.

Your rhyming was nice, but your rhythm seemed a little choppy or uneven in some places. Have someone who has never read it read it out loud to you and you'll be able to hear the places where the rhythm doesn't work quite right.

The subject was one we have seen many times before, but I think that you did a good job with your poem and making it original. The repetition threw me off at first, but now that I reread, I like the way that it ties all of the stanzas together.

The only thing that really didn't work is the last two lines. I like them, but they don't rhyme and they are out of touch with the rest of the poem. Unlike the repetition of the rest of the poem, these two seem kind of individualistic. Perhaps if you made them rhyme, they would work a bit better, but right now, they seem kind of out of place, even though they do do a nice job of summing up the hopelessness of the poem...

*thumbs up* Nice job.

~GryphonFledgling




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 60

Donate
Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:09 am
kinzygirl223 says...



WOW.
Intense.
I really liked it.
I dont have much to say.
This almost mad me cry though soooo good job.




User avatar
220 Reviews


Points: 1478
Reviews: 220

Donate
Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:45 pm
Sleeping Valor wrote a review...



I am horrible at critiquing poetry because there really are no rules to poetry. BUT, since I read it, I am compelled to say something.

I liked this poem, for all it is sad/disturbing. =P It's pretty strait-forward, and unless I am insane, it ryhmes nicely. There's also a good rythme, which I think was only interupted in your last stanza and during the like about wearing the same shirt twice.

*claps* Nice work. Hopefully you'll get some more helpful critiques soon. =P

^_^ Keek!





I say, in matters of the heart, treat yo' self.
— Donna, Parks & Rec