Stolen Innocence

by TranscendingIllusion

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Each night before I sleep,

It watches me;

I feel its eyes slide over my skin,

Then leaves harmlessly.

Though it’s started to follow me,

When I shower;

Through the strands of steam,

It covets me.

When I clean my teeth,

It stands behind me;

Choking breath,

Stabs at my neck.

And when I try to sleep,

Slices of light cut through my opening door;

The monster stands at the end of my bed,

Its cannibal eyes eating away at me.

This night however,

It slithers under my quilt;

Its cold and painful embrace,

Engulfs me.

In salty tears I sob softly,

The creature returns to the door;

I open my sticky mouth,

“Goodnight. Father;”

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:27 am
harris141195 wrote a review...

Very well written. Firstly it kinda describes the way you feel when you are being looked upon and the way you have described it is very nice. I also write poetry of this kind. Thats the reason I was able to connect with this piece very well. Gr8 Work once again and keep Writing.

Regards
Harris141195

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:07 am
LacyRayne wrote a review...

Hello! Lacy Rayne here(:

This poem was disturbing, but in a "i loved it" kind of way. The only thing I have to say is that the poem did not have a lot of imagery, I feel like it could be improved by using more.

At first, I also kind of though this was going to be a mental poem, like depression. But all the same, I loved it!

I feel like theres nothing bad I can say about this poem, it was really deep and horrifying. This is the stuff I love to read and what makes it so good is that its real. Its true. Not something you did just to do it. It was raw emotion!

I loved it and I want you to keep writing(:

Thank you for the review, and glad you loved it for the good reasons :D
I kind of have to disagree with you on the imagery statement because I feel that i wrote a lot and really concentrated on the imagery; as well as I've had comments saying the imagery was good. If you could point out where you think i should have used it that would be good :)

And id agree that the feeling of the poem when i was writing it was very emotional and raw as you said :)

Thanks again :D

Niraco wrote a review...

Gosh this poem sent shivers through my core. Poems which disturb are some of the best, in my eyes. Which is the case with your poem. It's dark, creepy and somewhat horrifying.

I find it horrifying due to the last line:

“Goodnight. Father;”

I read this line over and over again and the shock value did not decrease. Father?

I think there are two ways to see this poem. The father is controlling of his daughter. Perhaps he is merely trying to do what is best for her. Perhaps the daughter sees him as a monster as she feels her freedom is short. But, for me I translate the poem as the father...well...it seems he abuses his daughter (or son, I just realized the poem is gender neutral).

I came to this conclusion main due to the second stanza:

Though it’s started to follow me,

When I shower;

Through the strands of steam,

It covets me.

The phrase 'when I shower' brings up connotations of bareness and helplessness. In a shower everyone is defenceless and prone to any dangers which may lurk.

Which is why I think that the father is an abuser.

After coming to this conclusion I grew much more fonder of this poem. It is close to my heart and home. Which then made me fear for you as the writing. I hope to gosh you haven't experienced anything such as this.

Moving away from the grim ending, I did love some of the images you gave.

Choking breath,

Stabs at my neck.

That was my favourite image. It was so horrible and sickly which just made the poem even more fun to read.

hey sorry for the slow reply I've been meaning to reply for a while but haven't had the time.

really glad that you liked my poem and through it was horrifying at the same time. really glad that the last line had the effort i was going for

The child in the poem is gender natural; and though I made the monster male I do want to stress that monsters and such acts of violation don%u2019t have genre. But yes, when you are in the shower everyone is defenceless making the character genre natural :)

As I have said in previous comments nothing in this poem has happened to me the idea came to me one night before I went to sleep.
Really glad that you liked the imagery that I used, it was important that the reader could invasion the poem and each part of it; because it makes it feel so much more real.

Thanks again for your kind words and your review, thanks :D

As you can tell, I've tried to upload my reply a few times but it wont let me in one go haha.

mephistophelesangel wrote a review...

Hi TranscendingIllusion!

This poem was disturbing. In a GOOD way, not the bad way. But this poem created a very real imagery and made me gape while staring at the ending.

At first, I thought that it would be more mental kind of poem, like an imaginary monster. I even was very sure of it when you said

Its cannibal eyes eating away at me.

, the 'monster' catching my attention even more. And then, when it 'slithered under my quilt', it was literally holding my breath and when a piece of literature makes someone do that, you know that it is good. Then when I realized that the monster was 'my' father... wow. A sickening twist that makes me wish that the event is not real and would never happen to anyone.

Just a little typo I saw -

[It’s cold and painful embrace,]

It should be

[Its cold and painful embrace,]

because if it reads as 'It's', it is [It is cold and painful...] haha :D

A great poem, I'll remember this for a long time.

Keep writing! Mephis

Thank you for the review and sorry its taken me so long to reply.

Glad that you liked the poem for the reasons you said, and that you thought it was going to be imaginary and then you realised it wasn't; its good to have mores twists.

I'll edit my piece as well to get fix the typo you pointed out :)

Thanks for your review :)

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:30 pm
Purple wrote a review...

Hey there! How are you? Purple here to give you a review! Let's get down to business.
This is an amazing poem with an intense theme and strong imagery. I actually have no complaints really this is really powerful and well written. I just hope this isn't your actual situation..and if it is feel free to message me anytime.
Have a good day :)
~Purple

Hey purple thanks for the review. Really glad that you liked my poem and didn't have any actually complaints ^.^ thank you for recognising the imaginary but understanding that the ending was very dark.

Thanks for the review and such nice comments ^.^

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:17 pm
Androidaviator says...

This was rather unpleasant, but a very good poem. The twist that you made your father the monster really took me by suprise. Keep up the good work

Thank you for the review. Really glad that you liked the poem but was disturbed by it. That was the feeling I wanted to reader to experience. Glad that it took you by surprise :D
Thanks again :)

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:18 pm
Deadman wrote a review...

Deadman here with a review for you. I'd like to say I wasn't expecting the end at all. I was expecting something to be depression related at the end! Just wow, what a surprise. Oh and of course eww. Well that's interesting, and now I'm scarred because you painted that entire image in my head. That's good that you were able to paint an image though.

Pros-
1. Great image, I could see all of that happening.
2. It wasn't a long poem, but it felt like it was a page from a book. That's a good thing, though because that means you described things incredibly well.
3. Interesting turn at the end. It's interesting that the monster was the father. Like I said I was expecting a depression related thing.

Cons-
1. My only con would be I hope to God that this isn't real, or based on an experience. If it is, that's terrible, and i'm incredibly sorry.

Great poem really. You formed it well, and described everything rather well. It was quite nice. I do hope I managed to help you out a little, and I really hope to see more poems from you in the future. However, until then, happy writing!

Cheers,

Deadman XD

Wow that's for the review!!! Really glad that you didn't expect the ended I really wanted the read to be completely caught by surprise.

Mostly happy that you could see and understand the imagery because it was do important when I was writing it so glad that it paid off. :)

I didn't want to make the poem to long but I wanted to include a lot so thank you so much for recognising that and saying that it worked :D

As for the twist glad that you liked it from a tots and unexpected point of view. :D
But as a disclaimer this isn't actually happen to me
Or anyone I know. The idea came to me one night and I love writing
Poems with huge twists and turns :)

Thanks again for the great review ^.^

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:06 pm
Oakenshield says...

Wow this was really creepy o_O but I don't like this idea that the monster is the father. It feels just bad....sorry but this poem was to hard

Thank you for the comment. This was basically the result that I wanted some the poem it isn't particularly a nice topic but it goes without saying this stuff happens.
I classed the poem as a horror so I guess you got a horror poem lol
Thanks :)

LazyLlama says...

Ooh okay, then this was a really good Horror poem!!!

I like anchovies~ but nobody calls me that.
— alliyah