z

Young Writers Society



Strangers

by TinyJarStoredDreams


I know thousands of people,

All of whom are strangers.

.

They don't acknowledge me if I am seen on the street,

Yet I always wave.

.

They don't notice me;

I will always notice them.

.

Not everyone is nice,

But everyone is mean.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 1511
Reviews: 47

Donate
Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:40 am
View Likes
SARAHJO wrote a review...



Can I just say that this basically describes my life? You took such simple words and made them into something so meaningful, it's hard to know that such a thing existed. This has to be one of my favorite poems yet just because I can relate. It makes you think just how many people will walk into your life and then walk right out without ever being seen again. How many people are in the world and just what they mean to us, even if we don't even know their name.

Bravo, child. Bravo.




User avatar
476 Reviews


Points: 561
Reviews: 476

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:56 am
View Likes
Apricity wrote a review...



Hello, Tiny. Subtle here for a review on review day!

I have to say, interesting poem. Very interesting and intriguing, because that's how I feel about the world most of the time. You're only thirteen? Pretty cynical for your age there, you're too young to be so realistic about society. You should enjoy your childhood more! Alright, now that I've gotten over my patronizing ramble, let's continue with the proper review.

I'm not sure why you inserted periods between the stanzas, because they did nothing at all. If you are aiming for a line break here, try shift+return for a single line break.

As for the content, I really like the idea behind this poem. It expresses the reality of our society today, how most people don't acknowledge each other anymore. Our society is too fast, there just isn't enough time for people to slow down anymore. I surmised this is the message in your first two stanzas?

I know thousands of people,

All of whom are strangers.

.

They don't acknowledge me if I am seen on the street,

Yet I always wave.



They don't notice me;

I will always notice them.

.

Not everyone is nice,

But everyone is mean.


Wonderful use of contrast here, I especially like the meaning behind these four lines and how true they are. The first two line, has a faint undercurrent of anger beneath it and a trace of danger. I love the ending, I really do. Yes, not everyone is nice. But we can all be sure, that everyone can be mean. Everyone has that quality inside of them, and like a volcano it can erupt any second. That goes for everyone, every single soul that lives on earth. So, great poem there. I think you just summed up society in this poem! :D

-S.s




User avatar
305 Reviews


Points: 431
Reviews: 305

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:45 am
speakerskat wrote a review...



Hey there Kat here to review for you on this lovely review day

What's with all the periods... interesting I can say I have never seen anything quite like that in a piece of writing before, and I review a lot of poetry :)

Also, wow this is a really thought provoking poem here very confusing but very insightful at the same time and can be taken many different way. I like that, but in your case I feel like it was just a little to bland, maybe a stanza or two more or ome more description words... As a reader I need to really know what you are thinking and how you feel from your writing . But I do however like the open endedness that you did creat with how you wrote and your grammar looks superb!

In the first line it seems like you are saying that we know eople or think we know them but will never really know them and we bump into tons of people in our everyday lives. In the second stanza I take that to mean that they see you but think you are n outcast eve though you try to be friendly you will never really know anyone of them. in the third stanza it seems like the people are pushing further and further away from you. and in the fourth and final stanza I totally get because it takes a big person to be nice and that is hard and that takes work and getting to know people but it is easy to be mean and to be a stranger to everyone, to never get involved in other people's lives and even though sometimes you think you know someone you never truly will. This is the beauty of open ended poems though, really leaving room for the readers to form their own stories from yours.

I would love to read more and know how you intertpreted this lovely poem.

Keep it up
~Kat




User avatar
285 Reviews


Points: 237
Reviews: 285

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:43 am
GreenTulip wrote a review...



Hello TinyJarStoredDreams, this is GreenTulip and I am here to offer you a review.

This is well done, and it could go well with a poem that I wrote a while ago. It's called "Just Another Face" and it is found in my portfolio here. :)

Okay..now time to get down to business.

The lines that I liked the most were:

Not everyone is nice,
But everyone is mean.

These lines tell the truth. With even the gentlest of souls can be the meanest if they are pushed to it. This describes how one may feel in a crowd.

Good job, well done, and keep it up.




User avatar
205 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 205

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:39 am
AEChronicle wrote a review...



"Not everyone is nice,

But everyone is mean."

Very interesting oxymoron here. So true to life, though. We put on a good face, but all the while the one on the back of our heads are telling a very different story. I find myself realizing that I feel the exact same way your poem feels, all the time, so I guess I like it because it speaks to me, which is the whole point of writing, in the end.

It's short, but it doesn't need to be long in order to convey your message, which you have done well.

Thank you TinyJarStoredDreams!




User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:38 am
Willard wrote a review...



Strange here, and I have a review for you on this review day!
Quick side note, I love your avatar.
This poem is creative, weird, and really interesting. At first glance, most people would think "This isn't horror! Come on, man!" But for some reason, I think the narrator is Death. Not the Grim Reaper, but actual death with a human quality added to him. Death is coming soon to many people, but they won't acknowledge it. He knows them well, but they don't. He finds a downside in every single person. That's probably the best thing I got out of this poem. I give you a round of applause.
Overall, weird but enjoyable
Strange gives you..
7.1/10
Great job
Keep writing
Stay groovy, my friend *Hair flips*




AEChronicle says...


Lol, I was sifting through my reviews, and noticed this, and just got how well it suits you :) Well, you're name, at least....



User avatar
667 Reviews


Points: 11727
Reviews: 667

Donate
Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:28 pm
Messenger wrote a review...



Messenger here to review! So . . .

uh . . . I read this, and then read it again, and I am not getting it. It was actually very written with the opposite lines, although you have on really long one that should probably shortened. My main problem with this piece was that I didn't see a purpose or message in it, and the last lines seemed out of place.

The only reason I guessed that it is written like this is that it is written from a person's point of view who is kind of messed up in their brain. If not I don't get it. Maybe you could explain it to me and I would get it better.

I think you could possibly add the lines to make two four-lined verses, because I think it may help keep the flow steady. It seemed a little choppy having to start a new line so often. Sorry I can't be more helpful.






I wrote this from a crazed stalkers point of view so I was trying to make it seem like he was going deeper and deeper into insanity. Thanks for reviewing c:



Messenger says...


OK, that really makes things look differently. If I had been sure of thhat at the beginning it would have helped.



User avatar
39 Reviews


Points: 396
Reviews: 39

Donate
Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:27 pm
View Likes
Sophiewrites wrote a review...



Hello!
I am very glad to have stumbled upon this little work of yours, I really enjoyed reading it, so I thought I'd give you a short review.
Your work is full of simplicity and yet emotions. I love the first two lines:
,,I know thousands of people, All of which are strangers.''
You put so much meaning behind them, making me wonder about when do we really know someone, when do we become friends and strangers once again? However, I think it should be ,,.. people, all of which..'' but maybe you capitalized it on purpose?
I also enjoyed the last two lines
,,Not everyone is nice,
But everyone is mean''
What happened to the narrator to be so negative towards people? It again, makes me wonder!
A last small thing, I think it would look better if you changed the layout, by making the corresponding lines closer and leaving out the ,,-''

Keep up the good work,

-sophiewrites






Thanks c:




If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates