z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Multiple poems in one! (I had multiple written)

by TimelessMage


A musing of time

The problem with time is that there isn't enough.

It runs and runs,

Quickly!

There isn't enough.

Haraka haraka Haina Bakaraka!

Hurry, Hurry, but there is no blessing!

And then it stops.

And then continues at a crawl,

Like a line of ants, baking in sunlight,

Out of water in the Sahara.

Moving ever so slowly,

Creeping along

The sands of time trickle through.

At the End of it All

Time dies as the dragon flies.

Soaring, a streak of red in deep azure.

Things slow, grinding down.

Time dies with armies on the rise

The glint of steel, victory unsure.

People fight, “for King and Crown!”

Time dies as a baby cries.

A mother’s love the only cure.

Hut empty, save that lonely sound.

Time dies as we realize

We are too young for this world, immature

Unfinished, we walk this ground.

Waiting

Since time immemorial,

You waited.

Seeing the flowers bloom, then fade to dust.

The mountains rose and finally fell,

-And yet– you were there.

All of it seen, from your solitary meadow.

The tall pines and great oaks grow,

replaced by cement walls and narrow streets.

You waited.

You were there when the screams of pain and yells of victory were heard,

You saw the men come over the hill, tired and weary, but joyful over the end of war.

You observed them when they were shot, caught surprised by an enemy.

Blood splattered on your face and clothes, but still you don’t move.

In the death of earth you were there,

Your meadow yellowed, ravaged by the death of both man and nature

And you waited, silent and still, face an impregnable mask.

Passive since the dawn of time,

Observing all that has transpired. Nothing loved, nor loving you,

Alone.

What have those marbled eyes seen, what secrets and whispered thoughts have you observed?

The earth is dead, its hot beating heart now a cold iron core.

You still wait here, unmoving.

In a world devoid of heat, life, or any meaning, you wait.

And wait until the universe itself is dead, shelf life expired,

Packing it up, putting it away like children's toys back into their basket,

and close it behind you.

Scars

These scars on my cheeks are from tears falling,

Trickling down, welling up in my eyes.

Salt of tears hits my tongue, bitter.

That sound of sobbing, of things unsaid is

A symbol of pain, a crucifix of suffering.

I am like you


We all have some scar or two,

Often unseen by fickle eyes of humanity.

We put on makeup, play pretend, acting,

Faking the fact that we are fine.

But none of us are


Some simply hide better,

Saying they don’t have

Scars.

Hurt.

Pain.

The past.

We surround ourselves with masks,

Some of our own creation


Not all scars are on cheeks;

Some are memories, thoughts, impressions.

These scars on body and soul are a permanent display of damage,

Of what I was,

But not of who you will be.



Sixth Sense

A sixth sense.

A premonition, an unexplainable reason

For knowledge of a tragedy

Of tales untold, of mystery.

For your reason for knowing is rooted in the world

But mine rooted in the incomprehensible

Hackles raised on the back of my neck.

Something approaching, intent of evil

Of murder done. Of harm untold.

The feeling passes.

Just a person walking behind,

Life touching through a tangent to mine.

Insides

Something crawling in my stomach,

Clawing at my insides.

Anxiety. Fear. Dread.

Something is in my stomach, lead.

The depression was much too real,

But felt all too fake.

find the lie,

keep it inside

My prerogative,

Survive.


A mask, a hidden side.

A darker face,

Something hidden,

Unseen, hidden to the public eye.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22098
Reviews: 455

Donate
Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:00 am
Hijinks wrote a review...



Hi there TimelessMage! I noticed your set of poems has been lingering in the Green Room for a while, so I thought I'd drop by with a review for you. :) As a general rule of thumb, you'll often get more reviews if you post poems separately or just in pairs maybe—that way people can focus on the one specific poem and give you more detailed feedback.

I'm going to centre my review on Waiting & Scars so that I can give you some specific feedback and interpretations on those two.

Waiting
I'm a big fan of poems written in the second person addressed to a "you"! So that automatically gets some bonus points for me. I like how at the start, it's kind of ambiguous who this "you" actually is, and then throughout the poem it gets revealed to us in small details. That does a great job of building interest and..."plot", I guess, for lack of a better word!

There's an interesting mix of beautiful nature imagery and pretty grotesque war imagery that I wasn't expecting! Not to say that's a bad thing, at all—it's a very effective technique to subvert your readers' expectations sometimes and I think it works well in this poem. Actually I'd encourage you to draw on the contrast between these two families of imagery even further! Really lean into the beauty of meadows and fields and forests and the discomfort of war/human conflict. (That doesn't necessarily mean you have to be super gory or anything; you can just lean into the emotional aspect of discomfort.)

I thought the varying line length worked well visually and added sort of a flow to the poem as I was reading. A bit like how people say to change up sentence length to make a piece flow smoother, I think sometimes that changing up line length can have a similar effect.

Overall—this poem has some very strong imagery and you do a good job of building up to the ending. I like how the tone feels sort of observatory? Like in a nature documentary, almost! That, combined with the second person pronouns makes for a very engaging and interesting reading experience.

Scars
The concept you've based this poem on—physical scars vs invisible/"scars on the soul"—is really interesting! You play around with the boundary between these two things by combining physical imagery + emotional/invisible pain to create the image of tears leaving scars on a person's cheeks. I really love this image! It's very creative and unique. Honestly I think you could probably base a whole poem around exploring that image/concept in more detail if you wanted to.

You also do a great job of exploring a lot of the senses (taste, touch, hearing, etc.). I will say though, that occasionally these descriptions are just kind of surface level i.e. "That sound of sobbing, of things unsaid is" —> what IS the sound of sobbing though? Can you describe that using sensory imagery? I feel like adding these kinds of details would create an even more immersive experience for your reader.

Lastly, some of the images you introduce feel a bit disconnected from the overarching theme of bodily imagery. I'm thinking especially the introduction of "masks" towards the end don't really fit in with the descriptions up until that point. I think it might be best to stick to a cohesive family of imagery, otherwise certain descriptions might come across as a bit out of place/jarring for the reader.

Overall—really interesting poem! I enjoyed reading it and I think the images and idea you're exploring have a lot of potential. Talking about pain and emotions can easily fall into the trap of cliche sayings, but you do a good job of avoiding those and coming up with your own creative descriptions instead.

I think that's all from me! Let me know if anything I said doesn't make sense or if you have any questions.

~Hijinks




User avatar
211 Reviews


Points: 23158
Reviews: 211

Donate
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:32 pm
OrabellaAvenue wrote a review...



Hello, this is Orabella here with a review!

I'm so sorry this has spent so much time without getting reviewed. It's such a shame because these poems are absolutely amazing! You got me to feel without any characters to worry about (which I should say is not an easy task!)


Let's start with the first, shall we?

A musing of time I think perfectly describes time. How time is ever-changing and how it can be interpreted. How slow it can be and how it can seem to fly by.

I really loved this imagery:

Like a line of ants, baking in sunlight,

Out of water in the Sahara.

That's such an interesting comparison to time, and something I definitely wouldn't have thought of to compare to time, but it makes sense nonetheless!

I like how you referenced sand, which is a strong connection to time and makes great imagery for the reader, and you did it twice! The Sahara being a desert adds to the sands of time feeling, and it's so interesting the way you did that.

I do have one question: what does this mean?

Haraka haraka Haina Bakaraka!


I don't know, maybe I'm uneducated or I'm just blanking on something I should know, but I don't understand what's being said here.

The one "real" piece of advice I have for you on this poem is capitalizing the m and the t, as that's what you do with the other poem titles later on.


Next is your poem At the End of it All.

I also love the imagery in this one as well. I took a look at your profile, and knowing that you love fantacy, I'd say this perfectly portrays a fantasy world in the form of a poem. Which I think is so interesting because I've never seen that done before!

I particularly like these lines:

Soaring, a streak of red in deep azure.

I don't really know why. I think it's just the sheer amount of information that can be taken from this one line that makes it so interesting to me. The streak of red could mean a line of fire from the dragon, or it could represent a sunset, as if the world is about to be thrown into darkness. It might also mean blood in water.

The glint of steel, victory unsure.

Steel makes me think of swords and armor in a battle, and an eerie feeling of uncertainty sets in with those final two words. Even without mentioning any individual characters at any point, I'm still worried about the people in the battle and what they're fighting for; if they'll ever get it.

Throughout the poem, you have a really interesting rhyme scheme that I didn't notice until re-reading it. I'm not sure exactly how it's structured, but it's so interesting to go back in and find those rhyming words. And yet you still made the lines fit so well with each other! None of the rhymes were forced, and the poem flows naturally.

Nothing I found for this one that I thought should be fixed.


Waiting is one of my favorites from this collection.

It's beautifully written, and oh my gosh the feels.

I'm not sure, though, who is the subject of the poem? Who is "you?" And who is the one writing the poem? A long passage of time has passed, so neither of them can be alive, right? At least not through the whole poem? I feel like they're either objects or ideas - like time or love.

Oh, wait, I'm blind:
Blood splattered on your face and clothes, but still you don’t move.

So now I'm even more confused. I think I'm trying to over-analyse this, sorry. XD The fact that we don't know who or what it isn't definitely doesn't take away from the poem in any way, and might I say makes it even better with the mystery of who it could be.

Again, the imagery in this poem is so beautiful. The beautiful things on the planet; the flowers and the mountains and the trees all fading to dust is so dreary yet so beautiful, and they way you described it all is incredible.

This line, especially, is absolutely amazing.
The earth is dead, its hot beating heart now a cold iron core.

I've never thought of the center of the earth like a beating heart, but I actually love that idea so much. It makes it seem so much more important and sweet to think of it as alive, and so much more bitter to know it's dead. (Also, as a bit of a science nerd, this is exactly what will happen to the earth. The core will cool eventually, and it's actually a major part in protecting the earth from the sun. The core cooling will likely destroy most life on earth. So, in a way, it's accurate to say the earth will die when that happens.)

I also love how thus far, all the poems have connected to time in some way. I like the correlation between all of them, and yet all of them are unique.


Scars is another favorite of mine.

Okay, I'm going to say it again, the imagery is amazing. You're so good at painting a picture in the reader's head.

Also, you're so good at making me feel. I was genuinely sad while reading this, and it was so easy to connect to emotionally.

This is my favorite line:
We surround ourselves with masks,

Some of our own creation

I love the concept of masks in general, and I think it makes wonderful themes and ideas. I also love how it can mean so many different things, but in general, it hides things. Things about yourself or things that relate to you. Things you may or may not like.

I also like the addition of the italicized lines. They add another sense of depth to the poem, even without being italicized, and I love the messages they carry. They're another reason I think that this poem seems so emotion-driven.

Also, this just shows how great you are at writing different forms of poetry. The style is so different than the ones before, also constantly changing perspectives and ideas while still making it beautiful and interesting. That's not an easy feat!


Sixth Sense is really interesting! I like how it gets darker and darker, and then it changes with that simple line, "The feeling passes."

To me, the way the poem is told feels like a person that knows things that they couldn't possibly know, and how they dismiss it later on. From this short poem, I feel like a whole story could be written. It already has a way to foreshadow things that could come, and a character with an interesting ability. Or not. It works just as well as a stand-alone poem.

I like the way this poem feels eerie, too, and how that feeling doesn't really go away. For me, it's really hard to write anything that can get the reader on edge, but you do that even before the halfway point of a very short poem!


And finally, last but absolutely not least, we have Insides.

Definitely one of the creepiest of your poems, this immediately filled me with dread. And you have a completely new rhyme scheme! Like the other rhyming poem, this one doesn't feel forced and flows freely.

For that very last verse there, it feels a bit off with the repetition of the word "hidden." If I were to change it, I'd find some synonyms and use those instead.

I really like the use of some opposite words, like real and fake for example. I think sometimes it can not make a lot of sense in poems to use opposite words to describe the same thing, but you pulled it off extremely well!

I also liked your use of clawing and crawling. They themselves can be considered rhyming words I believe, but they're different enough that I didn't get stuck when reading them, or think they were the same word.

My favorite lines for this were:
find the lie,

keep it inside

My prerogative,

Survive.


Thank you so much for writing and sharing this! I had a blast reading and reviewing, and you should definitely write more poetry! You're too good to stop!

Keep writing, and have a fantastic day/night!





As a former (and rather excellent) liar herself, Aru knew that, sometimes, speaking the truth felt like wrenching a thorn out of your side. But doing the opposite meant pretending it wasn't there. And that made every single step ache. It was no way to live.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality