Me, Myself, and I Ch. 1

by Tikki2968

Chapter One

"So... You are coming over, right?" I heard a lot of shuffling on the other side of the line as my friend, Maggie, was digging through her dresser. We had been besties since Preschool, back when people actually noticed me. We just ended up sitting right in front of each other and within a few minutes, we became closer to each other than we'd ever been with anyone else.

"Of course I am Lillith. Why wouldn't I? I come over there literatly everyday so you aren't lonely." I listened as she decended the stairs and call out to her mother that she was going shopping with a group of friends. "I just wanna make sure Mags. I seriously hate living in-"

"I know Lil, you tell me this every day." Her door opened and closed again and her dogs started barking like crazy, "You hate to live in a life where no one sees you, hears you, or feels you. I do, and that's all you really need, right? As long as I'm around, you're never alone, no matter how many times you try to get rid of me." 

"Yeah, you tell me this every day. I'll see you later, 'kay?" She said goodbye and we hung up. I continued my walk down the side of the street towards my house. The sidewalk didn't have many people on it, which was good for me. If it was crowded, I would get pushed back and forth between multiple people, going different ways, and then I would end up going down the dark back allies. 

By the time I got to my house, Maggie was waiting for me outside. I know I'd just saw her at school, but I was always happy to see her, as she was me. We ran to each other and I hugged her.  Her long jet-black hair tickled my face and smelled, strangely, like strawberries. When I pulled away from the hug, I looked at her pale face and green eyes. Maggie was beautiful, that's an under statement. Sometimes I couldn't believe the way that she had no imperfections, and once, I tried to find one.

It was our first day of seventh grade, and she had shown up in a brand new outfit that fit her figure perfectly. Then, to top it off, she put on some makeup from the newest and best brand. I was really jealous that she had those things, so I tried messing it up. I 'accidentally' tripped while carrying my lunch and it'd spill all over her. She just laughed along with everyone else, and when she found out I was doing it on purpose, she wasn't mad at me. We worked it out and got even closer to each other.

"Okay, you ready for a night filled with awesomeness?!" I nodded and we both ran inside. My mother wasat the counter cooking dinner, so she looked up when Mags and I came in. "Hello Maggie! How was school?"

"It was great! I'm going upstairs, okay." My mom nodded and we both ran upstairs to my room. It wasn't much, a small television, a dresser, a few stuffed animals, and a bed. I had to live in the attic, so I had a very limited amount of space. "So, horror, comedy, romance, or all three?" She already knew I would pick all three, so she listed them in the order I wanted. We set them to the side by the television, sat on my squeaky bed, and started talking about our annoying teachers, how hard our math tests were, and just some gossip we heard around school.

Eventually, we watched the movies and got bored. We fell asleep next to each other, hand in hand. We would never let go of each other, because that is all we had. We loved each other for the other person, and she could see me because of it. 

Virgil wrote a review...

This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review as requested. I'm a little frustrated because previously this review actually happened to be done before I went and took a shower though apparently the autosave didn't work this time around. Without further ado, let's jump right in.

I found this to be a little short for a first chapter! Not a problem, just an element that I noticed. This is quite dialogue based for the first half or maybe even the whole chapter. At the same time, I felt that the characters didn't receive a lot of development in this particular first chapter. I'll touch more on that later.

The dialogue here is off. First we're seeing Maggie addressing Lillith and after that, Maggie is being addressed by Lillith. This is wrong because each time there's a new speaker in dialogue, you're supposed to begin a new paragraph, which doesn't happen here. I also wanted to note the two spelling errors in this paragraph. 'Literatly' should be 'literally' and 'decended' should be 'descended'.

Here, 'allies' should be 'alleys' since that's the plural version of 'alley'.

You forgot to put a space between 'was' and 'at' in this paragraph. There's still a problem with the dialogue here. Start a new paragraph when the main character's mother begins to speak. I suggest finding both a reliable grammar checker and learning how to proofread yourself seeing as a grammar checker won't catch every mistake that you might and you might not catch an error that a grammar checker might. There are a couple in this chapter for reference though I'll let you catch the rest for yourself.

That being said, the largest flaw of the chapter is the lack of fleshing out. Of anything. Half of the chapter is being told and not shown when this should be the opposite especially in the first chapter, which this is. There's nothing that particularly captivates the reader with this beginning and that's because the reader doesn't have a reason to care for the characters. Not only that, nothing relating to the plot seems to happen here. Nothing important anyway. At least give us a taste of what this novel is going to be like. There's nothing that stands out. The characters and the plot are a little bland and while this can most certainly change in the second or third or even fourth chapter, there's supposed to be a hook in the first chapter.

I wanted to clarify--are Maggie and Lillith just friends or are they girlfriends? I found that to be a little confusing because at the end of the chapter they fall asleep in the movie theater though I'm not saying that it's impossible that the two of them are close platonic friends. The end of the chapter sounds a little romantic although the beginning points out that they're friends and 'besties' (which I'd change to 'best friends', personal preference) so I'm a little confused. A bit of clarity on that would be nice.

Overall, I wanted more to be shown and not told and for the chapter to be fleshed out, basically. Work on that and work on the pacing because this feels unnecessarily rushed out in a way when more can be developed naturally.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a nice day.

Tikki2968 says...

Thanks a lot! I can't spell anything right most of the time. It's mainly because I'm on a terrible phone most the time. And yeah it's short... I've had a few people say that. If I write another chapter, it'll be longer and the characters will get a bit more... properly introduced (I guess) I've kinda wrote like this forever, so I get if there are a few errors. I'm still learning...

MrMuddyPig says...

Does this have to do anything with me, myself and Irene?

Tikki2968 says...

No, I have no clue what that is.

MrMuddyPig says...

It's a comedy movie.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:54 pm
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello!! Welcome to YWS, we're so happy to have you!! :D Glad to see you're jumping right in posting your first piece! I picked this out of the green room because you classified it as teen fiction and that's my favorite kind of fiction.

This is an interesting start! I'm intrigued by Lilith's feelings of not being noticed (and I'm guessing she also doesn't feel very loved or accepted) and how she got to that point. You kind of allude to it not always being this way or not always being this bad, so I'm curious to know what happened or how this developed.

I'm also curious to know more about her friendship with Maggie. In the beginning of the chapter when they're talking on the phone, it almost sounds like Maggie doesn't want to come over or this is a chore for her to have to hang out with Lilith every day because Lilith doesn't feel that anyone else notices or cares about her. I would totally understand why Maggie would feel that way, but she comes anyway. And once she's with Lilith, everything seems great and fine and I can tell they really do care about one another and are good friends.

One thing I would be concerned about as the story progresses is making sure Lilith is a well-rounded character on her own. It's hard because this is the first chapter and I'm sure you have a lot more planned for the story and both of these girls, but right now Lilith feels very dependent on Maggie. I get feeling lonely and wanting people around and relying on her only friend, but is she able to function on her own? Can she be happy when she's by herself? If she can't, then I forsee bad things coming for her when Maggie makes some other friends or gets tired of always having to be there for Lilith. But maybe not :)

My only other concern with this first chapter is that not a whole lot happens. I'm glad we got an introduction to Lilith and Maggie and their friendship and we got a look at part of the conflict (this feeling of not like anyone cares about her) but I think I want a little more oomph or a little more pulling me into the story and making me feel like I need to keep reading to see what happens next.

Overall though, I think this is a fine start! I'm not going to get super into nit-picks and things like that because I'm guessing this is a first draft and I don't think nit-picks are super helpful in first drafts. But please let me know if you have any questions or if there's something you'd like feedback about that I didn't mention! Feel free to shoot me a private message or write on my wall if you have any other questions or need anything at all as you get used to the site! :D

Tikki2968 says...

You aren't the only one who wanted a bit more, but you are right about this being a first draft. Honestly, I just remembered this one idea that I had a long time ago (back in third grade) and decided I would write the first chapter of it and see what other people think of it! Thanks for telling me your opinion on it!

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:46 pm
smwoods19 wrote a review...

I really like what you have so far, but there are just a few spelling errors I would like to bring to your attention. When you said "her hair smelled, strangly, like strawberries" you had spelled strangly wrong. It is spelled strangely. Also, you had said "and when she found out I was doing it on purpous", however you spelled purpous wrong, it should have been spelled purpose. Other than those few spelling errors, I really like your story. Happy writing!

Tikki2968 says...

I know I might have a few spelling errors, but I have a GREAT excuse. I'm typing on my phone, which has the entire screen cracked, so it's kind of hard to see what I'm pressing

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:45 pm
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Tikki. Pan here to fry up a review for you today.

I am intrigued! When I first read the synopsis of this chapter, I assumed that it was more of a metaphorical not being noticed, as in Lilith feeling overshadowed or pushed into the background. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that she literally isn't noticed by anyone. I'm fascinated to find out why, as well as why her friend is the only one who can perceive her.

Onto nitpicks! I tend to start with smaller comments and then conclude with some overall pointers at the end of the review. Here we go.

"You hate to live in a life where no one sees you, hamears you, or feels you. I do, and that's all you really need, right?

I've bolded the typo, which I'm assuming is meant to be 'hears'. However, I've got two nitpicks with this:

1) It's what I call For The Audience dialogue. By talking about Lil's strange invisibility, Maggie is outlining something that both of the characters in the scene are aware of, and the only reason she is saying it is to inform the reader about the situation. As a consequence, it feels like Maggie is talking to the reader rather than Lilith, so it comes off as a bit false.

You don't need to rush to tell us the situation straight away. The reader doesn't need to know everything yet. Take your time.

2) I'm also a little surprised that Maggie would be like 'if I can see and talk to you, what more do you need?' It's pretty insensitive. Lil's life must be hell! If you want Maggie to come off as a supportive friend, I'd change what she says here to something more sympathetic.

If it was crowded, I would get pushed back and forth between multiple people, going different ways, and then I end up going down the dark back allies.

There's a missing word. It should be 'and then I would end up going down the dark back allies'.

I know I just saw her at school, but I was always happy to see her

There's something wrong with the tenses here. The piece is in past tense, so when you're referring to something even further back in the past you need to use the past perfect. If you changed it to 'I know I'd just seen her at school, but I was always happy to see her', it would be better.

Maggie was beautiful, that's an under statement.

Comma splice! What you've done here is put a comma where there should be either a full stop or a semi-colon. There's more to know about these kinds of errors, but I won't go into it here. You can read this YWS topic for more information about comma splices.

Anyway, I think a full stop would fit better than a semi-colon here, so it would be: 'Maggie was beautiful. That's an understatement'.

However, if you want to inject a bit more tone into it, you could have it as something like:

'Maggie was beautiful. No, that's an understatement.'

I 'accidentally' tripped while carrying my lunch and have it spill all over her

Grammar nitpick. It might be better expressed as 'I 'accidentally' tripped while carrying my lunch and spilled it all over her'.

We set them to the side by the television, sat on my squeaky bed, and started talking about... stuff.

What stuff? Show us a little of the conversation. Help us get a flavour for how they chat and interact as friends.

Overall Points

1) Generally speaking, your grammar is good. Very few complaints on that front. Just make sure you run your work through a spellchecker and look it over for typos, because they can easily slip you by if you're not careful.

2) Even though I'm very intrigued by the fact that nobody sees Lil, I think it would be better if you showed this plot point to the reader by way of events rather than just telling us about it. For instance, if you included a moment where someone bumped into her and didn't even seem to notice, and then showed a little more of her mother ignoring her, we'd get the feeling that something wasn't right without needing to be told what it was. It's always more engaging if you let the reader work some things out for themselves rather than telling them off the bat.

3) However, my main criticism of this chapter is that there isn't enough of it! I'm intrigued by the premise, but too little happens - there's nothing to really hook me in and make me keep reading at the moment. The opening of a story usually focuses around the point at which something changes in the main character's life, but this seems to just outline a bit of backstory and a normal day in Lil's shoes. I want to see more. Chapters are usually at least three times the length of this, so don't be afraid to sprawl out and dedicate more time to things. Introduce something out of the ordinary, something that challenges the status quo. Perhaps this mysterious boy who can also see her?

If you lengthen the chapter and include a hook, it will improve it by leaps and bounds. Even as it stands, I'm really interested to know more about Lil's predicament. I'll be looking out for the next chapter.

Hope this helped! If you've any questions about what I said, just ask.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Tikki2968 says...

Thanks a lot for this reveiw. I didn't notice the spelling error, and I'm glad you pointed that out to me. About the chapter being a bit short... I always write the first chapter a bit shorter than the others, but I can promise you there will be a lot longer chapters in the future. I will have more people added in the next chapter and more instances where Lil isn't seen.
As for what Maggie said about her being enough, I meant for her to sound like she was insensitive. Maggie is supposed to represent a 'friend' who thinks that as long as they're are there in your life, it's perfect.

Panikos says...

That's fair enough if it's intentional. In regards to the chapter being short, it's more about the fact that very little happens in it rather than the length, and by lengthening it you might be able to introduce something that grips the reader more. Glad the review was useful though.

So verily with the hardship, there is a relief, verily with the hardship, there is a relief.
— Quran Ch 94:5-6