Hell: Fire and Ice (Edit)

by Thisislegacy

“Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice” Robert Frost, Fire and Ice lines 1-2. Fire and ice are both described as punishments of hell but many descriptions in the Bible state that Hell is “the fiery lake” Revelations 21:8, “eternal fire” Matthew 25:41, and “furnace of fire” Matthew 13: 41-42. In Dante Alighieri’s The Divine Comedy, Dante describes Hell as fire until the very center of Hell, where he then describes Hell as ice. However both fire and ice are appropriate punishments for going against the words of God, and it is implemented nicely in Alighieri's The Divine Comedy.

With fire, people are being actively punished with no mercy, and if a person goes against the teachings of God, then that person does not deserve mercy. In Alighieri's The Divine Comedy, the punishment for going against the Church in Circle Six is burning in a fiery tomb. These people were once involved in the Church, and as the words of Matthew 13:42, “They will throw them into the blazing furnace”. The punishment for Simonists (people that sold pardons to forgive people of their sins) is being hung upside down with their feet on fire. Many of the punishments for directly going against the words of God without actively hurting people involve fire in one way or another, which is appropriate because fire attacks without mercy, and one cannot get used to the fury that comes with fire.

Being frozen in ice is a slower punishment because it makes a person think about all the terrible things they have done in their lifetime. The only thing that someone could do while being frozen is think, so their eternal torment is thinking about how they could have avoided this fate, while being able to do nothing about it. In Alighieri’s The Divine Comedy, only traitors to their homelands, murderer’s of family, murderer’s of dependents, and traitors to benefactors were frozen, as these people are the only ones that cannot have the “eye for an eye” treatment that is seen throughout the rest of the story. It is fit for the people that have done the worst things to just have to be forced to think of what has been done. Even Satan himself is forced to think about how he could have ruled the universe if he had not lost the War of Heaven to God because he is frozen to his waist, and the force of him trying to escape is what makes the pits of Hell so cold.

Overall, it can be seen that both fire and ice are appropriate punishments, and it is implemented in Alighieri’s The Divine Comedy very nicely. “Into the eternal darkness, into fire and into ice ”

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:56 am

Hi there thisislegacy! I noticed you said this was due tomorrow so I'll write some quick thoughts on it.

The major issue I see is that the paper doesn't really take a side on the question "Is fire or ice more appropriate for the depths of Hell?" If this was an informational essay about how Dante uses the metaphors of fire and ice to describe Hell, this would be fine. However, I feel like the assignment is actually to pick a side and use passages from the text to defend your thesis statement. At least, that's what most of the essays I had to write in high school did. In the future, I would clarify the assignment and nail down the thesis statement, then find text passages to support your thesis.

Many of the punishments for directly going against the words of God without actively hurting people involve fire in one way or another, which is appropriate because all these people knew what they were talking about and doing it before doing their actions.

I feel like this statement is poorly supported, as I'm not getting the same conclusion. Why is being frozen not an appropriate punishment for people who actively go against God's word? It would also be eternal and quite painful. If you were going to take the side of fire, I would use specific examples to explain and back up this sentence.

The paragraph on ice is stronger, which leads me to think that your thesis statement should favor ice over fire as the better representation of Hell. A good persuasive essay would present the evidence in favor of the thesis, then anticipate the counterargument and rebut it. So if your thesis statement is "Hell is really ice", the obvious counterpoint would be "Then why does the The Divine Comedy talk so much about fire?" I would think about where in the text could explain this and use quotes from the text to counter the potential counterargument.

“I hold with those that favor fire, but if I had to perish twice... for destruction of ice is also great and would suffice” Robert Frost, Fire and Ice lines 4-9.

This is a great poem for the intro, but the way you've shortened it feels odd, like something is missing. Personally, I would just go with the first two lines "Some say the world will end in fire/Some say in ice" to set up the idea of you discussing fire and ice in The Divine Comedy.

Overall, this has some solid points and the text is explained well. However, I think there needs to be a stronger position on the question with more examples to back it up. Keep writing and good luck on the assignment! :D

Thisislegacy says...

I was trying to stay neutral because I agree with both sides and the teacher doesn't want me to be neutral lol. But I see your points, I need to strengthen the fire argument

niteowl says...

I can relate to seeing both sides, but in a paper it's usually best to pick one based on what side's easier to argue for haha.

Thisislegacy says...

Yeah but it is more fun to bother my teacher.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:27 am
Dossereana wrote a review...

Halo there my dear friend @Thisislegacy, I am here to do a review on your new work.
description
Okay your description is really good here nice work, your doing really well with that bit of the work.
Numbers
okay I do not really now what you doing with all the numbers I will point some of them out.

Fire and Ice lines 4-9.

Revelations 21:8,

Matthew 25:41,

Matthew 13: 41-42.
there you go, I do not really no what your doing here, I do not really no why the things of Matthew and Revelations or there I really am a bit confused with this.
how much dose hell get in to this hell thing
I notes ed that you are saying the word hell a lot.
hell but many

descriptions in the Bible state that Hell[b] is

where he then describes [b]Hell as ice.

describes Hell as fire until the very center of Hell

See you say it a lot here I do not really no why but you do say it a lot. I think that you should change it just a little. like take some of them out. so That is all that I can say the reast was really good, nice work, also I hope that I was not coming a kose and being a bit to harsh.
@EalgeFly out to seek and kill

Thisislegacy says...

Hell is a place, the numbers are references. Hopefully that helps you understand this some more.

Dossereana says...

thank you for this peas of imfomashin, also have you got any poems for me to review? :D

The brain is wider than the sky.
— Emily Dickenson