The Apartment

by ThekingsAdvisor

Kiel looked outside of his new rooms window, It hade been two days since he had moved into this house. He loved to look down at his backyard, the lush golden grass and the line of red roses to the side made it mesmerizing to look. But what bothered him was the old apartment building right by the side of the garden. The apartment was a three stories complex, it was consisted of red bricks and lush greens that grew on the walls and in the broken windows.

Kiel stared at the windows of the apartment, and reminiscent about yesterday, about that shadow figure that he saw last night. Just from thinking about it gave him goosebumps. Today he was on a mission, a mission to explore that apartment at night. He checked his blue bag to check the contents inside again, he filled the bag to the brim with essentials that he thought he would need, a flashlight, first aid and a lot of bandages.

After two hours the sun had set, and it was time for him to get out. With quit, and quick steps he was out of the house. Kiel than slowly walked toward the apartment, he tried to keep quite as he walked through the asphalt street.

About two minutes later he was in front of the shabby apartment. Kiel felt goosebumps rung through him as he inspected the apartment, the already cold air of the night  become colder to him as he inhaled slowly, fearing that his breath might wake someone up.

Kiel turned on the flash light, and he went in. The lobby of the apartment reeked of a rank smell, and the whole floor seemed to creek from the slightest movement. Kiel while covering his face explored the lobby.

The lobby wasn't as big as he thought it was, the lobby was as big as his room. Kiel noticed the staircase that led to the upper floors, slowly he went up the stairs. Kiel noticed that the rank smell thickened the more he went up the stairs, and when he was in the second floor his nostrils were invaded by a metallic smell.

Kiel retrained himself from throwing up as his heart beat faster, harrowing imagination filled his mind as he explored the floor. The floor was a long hallway sided with doors that led to rooms, and in the end of the hallway he saw the stairs that led to the last floor.

The closer he got to the stairs the worse the smell became. When Kiel was in front of the stairs he noticed that he had stepped in something sticky. He looked down, and to his horror a pool of blood had covered the floor. A chilling scream went off in the apartment as Kiel fainted in the pool of blood.

The pool of blood then came to life and sucked him in slowly devouring his body into the floor.

Fishr wrote a review...

Hi! What I liked about this story was it reminded me of R.L. Stone’s Goosebumps series of books. I devoured all of them. And loved them to bits!

Now, as for improvement, there is quite a bit of repetition of using the same words repeatedly to describe tense situations. ‘Apartment’ was used quite a bit. Instead, try dwelling. ‘Goosebumps’ was used several times. Try plugging in goosebumps into an online thesaurus and see all of the synonyms offered and then choose the best word you feel would work.

Take a second look. Comb through, and remove repetition. Good luck!

RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello, My Friend!

This was so cool! Following those gorgeous descriptions, I love the gradual change from someone admiring the gardens, and something typical like an asphalt street, before it turns into something brilliantly horrific. The blood, and the semi-sentience of it as it swallows him, was so chilling and created such a mysterious ending.

As far as a more technical review goes, I have nothing to recommend! The pacing, descriptions, and atmosphere were all just right. Great writing job ~

My favorite part would definitely have to be the manifestation of the blood, and Kiel being consumed by it. So cool! So creepy! Awesome work, there!

Overall, this was a brilliant example of scary flash fiction. Nicely done! :D

First Impression: Well this is quite the tale here. I really like how this flows here, just rather innocent and a very simple description to get us going but then the way it just gets gradually more suspicious and then that ending is really well done here.

Oooh this is a lovely touch of description here to get us started off. It gives us a perfect little contrast there first describing how it is that this place feels all relaxing and why Kiel here enjoys it before showcasing the reason why this neighboring bit is causing so much trouble.

Oooh well this is certainly a pretty bold way to deal with this particular apartment situation, just walk straight in there without thinking too too hard on the problem and hope to be able to handle what's inside. At the very least I think Kiel does seem to be fairly prepared for this excursion.

About two minutes later he was in front of the shabby apartment. Kiel felt goosebumps rung through him as he inspected the apartment, the already cold air of the night become colder to him as he inhaled slowly, fearing that his breath might wake someone up.

Oooh loving the tone being set here. The constant creaking and definitely that smell seem incredibly suspicious here and it looks like its all being set up to be something that's certainly going to be at the very least horrifying to look at if not outright dangerous.

Oooh well thing are continuing to get more and more horrifying and it seems that we're somehow headed right towards the source of whatever this happens to be here. Something is most definitely about to go down.

Oh my. That was not the ending that I was expecting with exactly how that was proceeding in that particular moment. I do love the shock value though, the slow moment of just finding the blood, then the very understandable fainting followed by that very powerful last paragraph. Very well done there.

Overall: Overall I think this is a lovely piece here. Its put together really quite well here. I think you've done a lovely job of really setting up a scene and then setting up Kiel quite nicely as well before we get to that rather terrifying end there.

Kate

Horisun wrote a review...

Howdy, and belated welcome to the site! Hope you've had a great day thus far!

This was one well executed horror story! The conclusion with the pool of blood was bone chilling, and your descriptions were excellent, achieving one strange and unsettling atmosphere. I particularly liked lines like these:

It hade been two days since he had moved into this house. He loved to look down at his backyard, the lush golden grass and the line of red roses to the side made it mesmerizing to look.

the already cold air of the night become colder to him as he inhaled slowly

and especially this bit here,

Kiel noticed that the rank smell thickened the more he went up the stairs, and when he was in the second floor his nostrils were invaded by a metallic smell.

Your use of a verb in the above line to describe the metallic scent "invading" his nose is so much more powerful compared to something like "he smelled something metallic." I was really impressed with that line in particular, but all of your descriptions serve the stories tone real nicely!

The pacing is rather quick, which sometimes shoot the author in the foot when they're trying to build suspense. Especially in horror, it's super important for there to be lots of tension before the pay off. You already do that well in the paragraphs describing the interior of the apartment, but by extending the descriptions a little more, and really putting yourself in your narrator's shoes, the reader feels the characters dread all the more.

This is pretty subjective, and totally up for your discretion, but I might suggest opening this short story as Kiel is entering the apartment, rather than with his preparation and exposition beforehand. The fact that he lives in a new house, likes looking out the window, etc. is information that doesn't become relevant again before he dies, and (in my opinion) him entering the apartment is a much stronger hook than him in his room.

(^^^ This might be another thing that throws the pacing a tad: Kiel doesn't enter the apartment until about halfway through the work, but nothing before that is vital to the construction of this story- except for some additional exposition, which could instead be sprinkled throughout his venturing into the apartment. Take this with a grain of salt, though, because I could be off the mark here.)

This was an excellent piece of flash fiction, and I'm glad to have read it! As I said before, I loved the descriptions throughout this piece. It had a powerful setting, wonderfully spooky atmosphere, and a very interesting premise- I don't think I mentioned this yet, but I really liked the 'monster' design for this piece. A pool of blood that sucks people in is very creepy, and very cool- All in all, one heck of a read! :D

With that said, keep on writing, and have an excellent rest of your afternoon!

Thank you i really appreciate the review, and yeah you are correct i wanted to make the story longer, but my burst of confidence was slowly waiting so I had to conclude fast. (Fun fact I was inspired to write this because of the house in front of my backyard, and I thought that house was creepy so i wrote a little story about it).

Horisun says...

Of course! I totally relate to the loss of confidence mid project, lol, happens to me all the time too. I think the story resulting though from the burst of inspiration is incredibly solid though : )

And on the pedestal these words appear:/'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;/Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'/Nothing beside remains.
— Percy Bysshe Shelley