My Messed Up Life - Part 1

by TheWorldIsMyLife

I ran as fast as I possibly could to get away from the hell I lived in. My life was a mess. Where could I go where someone would respect my decisions? Where would there be someone who would put everything right? I didn’t stop running. The trees in the forest looked evil, but it was hard to tell because it was pitch black. My vision was blurred with tears as I tried to isolate myself from life. I tripped as someone grabbed me and pulled me to them. Wiping my eyes, I could make out a familiar face, a face which had lied to me. I cursed at him and slapped him. He did nothing but wrap his arms around my waist. His warm breath touched my face and I stopped shouting for a moment. He just stayed there but I realised what I was doing. I broke away from his hug and slapped him again. I tried to get away again but he grabbed my wrist and turned me to him, “Why are you trying to leave me?” he asked, his expression almost frightened me. I stared into his longing eyes for a few seconds then lowered my head.

"You are a liar and I hate you, Xander,” I muttered. I removed my wrists from his grip and sprinted away, scared about what he would try to do next. In front of anyone, I was tough and didn’t care what happened but when no one could see me I would cry and was terrified of everything. I continued running until my legs couldn’t take the pain any more. My shoes were literally covered in mud. Where was I even going? Why was I bothering? Should I just have given in to him and made him happy? No, what the hell am I thinking of?

I was lost. I looked around to see if I knew anything about where I was but there was nothing. It was dark, cold, desolate. All I could see were trees. I lay on the muddy, leafy ground as the rain poured on my icy skin. I felt abused. I inspected my cuts and bruises all over my arms. It looked late, midnight maybe? I decided to sleep. There was no way I would be able to find home any time soon. I couldn't stop thinking. What if Xander was following me? After I fell asleep, my dreams were weird. I stood in the corner of a square, plain room. Xander was across at the other side of the room. Yet he wasn’t that obsessive person who I knew, he didn’t even seem to acknowledge my existence. He was with someone else and I instantly felt a pang of jealousy which was really odd. I didn’t love him, he had lied to me. He was a cruel person who deserves to be dead. I am so mean... Xander saw me in this somewhat ridiculous nightmare. He ran up to me and slammed me against the wall. He began screaming words at me but they didn’t make any sense. Suddenly, he called my name and fell to the ground. I just glared at him, and I seemed to know what was going on (but thinking back, this was totally impossible). I felt him take my hand and he said my name again and again, this time quieter. The girl he had been with approached me from behind and held my shoulders. They smiled at each other. They seemed to be conferring about what to do to me but I was completely oblivious to their silent conversations. Xander lay down in front of me and the girl copied him but behind me. I only stood and didn’t react to anything they did. He whispered my name again. It seemed to never end, both of them saying my name constantly. His face transformed into some sort of black smudge all over his face. I turned back to the girl whose face had transformed in the same way. Xander said “Darling, wake up now,” in a different voice and the dream ended.

My breathing picked up and I was absolutely frozen from the cold night. The sun was only just rising. I sat upright and saw someone else standing in front of me.

“You would not wake up, no matter how much I called you,” he said. I smiled at him. It was weird how he said 'would not' instead of wouldn't.

“Sorry, I needed to sleep,” was all I could say to him. His name was Nathan. He was a tanned guy my age with perfect black hair and chocolate brown eyes. His shirt was khaki and the first few buttons were undone. He looked amazing.

“Were you dreaming about something weird? Your skin was so cold but you looked like you were sweating” he asked, seeming concerned. But when did he touch me? Wouldn't I wake up from that?

“No I wasn't dreaming,” I lied, “I don’t know what’s up with that,” I laughed unconvincingly.

“If you say so,” he said. I smiled again and picked myself up from the wet ground. He reached out a hand for me to follow him as he smiled his mysterious smile back at me. I took it, but pulled him to a hug instead. I cried again, feeling weak and oversensitive. I hardly knew him now. People told me he was an idiot and no one should get involved with him but he seemed nice enough.

“Hey,” he tried to assure me everything was fine. It didn’t work, he had never been too good at helping me feel better, but he tried. He put his hand on my cheek and I placed my pale hand on his wrist so I knew that he wouldn’t leave me. He kissed my short, coffee coloured hair slowly. The tears continued to flow down my cheeks and they touched the fingers which held my face. He lifted my head to kiss my lips. It didn't really seem romantic, just friendly. I didn't want it to mean anything because it had been a while. We were six the last time we met, but I guess he was helping me a bit. I remembered the times we used to spend together. We hadn’t been talking much lately. But it was only coincidence that he found me. He stepped away and held my shoulders. “Do you want to tell me about it?” he asked. I shook my head silently, my eyes closed with shame. He just nodded and wiped my eyes for me, I was glad because I didn’t really want him asking about it. He took me back into a hug and we seemed to stay like that for ages, not saying a word. Eventually, my crying stopped. Not long after I had finally sorted myself out, he took my hand. “Come on, I think we should be going. We do not want you to catch a cold now, do we?” I smiled and we walked hand in hand. I didn’t know where he was taking me but he seemed sure.

As we walked on to the streets (where I did actually recognise my whereabouts) I saw Xander. Just as I dreaded, he came over. Turning to Nathan, I buried my head into his chest. “What is the matter, honey?” He asked. I don’t know why he called me honey but I guess that’s his way of saying things.

“I know him,” I said, pointing somehow discreetly at Xander.

“Oh darling, it will be fine,” he reassured me, knowing me too well; he had known something was wrong.

“What has he done to you?”

“He... He lied to me, that’s all,” I stuttered. I was unsure about my words for some odd reason. Xander stood in front of us and was glaring at me. I tried not to look at him. Nathan comforted me whispering things like “it will be fine” and “you should not worry.” It wasn't long before Xander started talking and made the situation less awkward. I wished he hadn't changed it.

“Oh please, get rid of your stupid little boyfriend and talk to me for once instead of being a wimp,” Xander spat at me.

“He isn’t my boyfriend. And why should I talk to you? You mean nothing to me,” I glared.

“What happened to us?” he tried to use his gorgeous face to get around me. It wasn’t working.

“You know what happened. You deserve to die,” I was so angry with him, plus I couldn't make it obvious how weak I was.

“Hey, hey, no need to be so harsh. I –“ I cut him off.

“Would you like to tell me and Nathan what you did?” I interrupted.

“I did nothing. Besides, I don’t care anymore,” he said. He left and Nathan took my hand again. He said nothing to me now but walked a lot faster than earlier. “Why are you walking so fast?” I asked, clearly confused. Nothing. He maintained his speed and I tripped now and again trying to keep up with him. We reached my house. When we got on to the porch, he only said, “Tell your mother you are safe,” and ran off, leaving me to ponder a bit to myself as I opened the door. Then I remembered how mad Mum will be...

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:54 am
megsug wrote a review...

Hello World,
I'm here finally. Sorry for the wait. I've been busy with school.

May I suggest, on first glance, to separate each paragraph with a line. It makes pieces easier to read. Break up some of the larger paragraphs. Your pacing is very fast, so it's a bit difficult to correctly comprehend the way you have it.

The forest reminded me of Snow White. The trees almost evil looking. It was autumn so the ground was a blanket of leaves.

You do your description a disservice here. I agree with Lava, it's a bit hard to completely know what you're going for with 'Snow White,' but your description after that is understandable. Though I suggest you add a bit more, I think you can get rid of the first sentence.

[/quote]I continued running until my legs couldn’t take the pain any more.[/quote]
I agree with Mia here. Something could definitely be added. How was her run?
Did she have twigs catch in her hair? Did she almost slip? Did mud splash up on her legs?
Or perhaps you want to explore what's going through her mind. Personally, I love writing panicked practically crazed thought processes. One could fit here.

I decided to sleep. There was no way I would be able to find home any time soon.

I find this a bit hard to believe. She just laid down on the ground and went to sleep? The character doesn't come across as one who is accustomed to doing so. It would take her a few minutes at the very least.

Xander was across at the other side of the room. Yet he wasn’t that obsessive person who I knew, he didn’t even seem to acknowledge my existence. He was with someone else and I instantly felt a pang of jealousy which was really odd. I didn’t love him, he had lied to me. He was a cruel person who deserves to be dead. I am so mean... Xander saw me in this somewhat ridiculous nightmare. He ran up to me and slammed me against the wall. He began screaming words at me but they didn’t make any sense. Suddenly, he called my name and fell to the ground. I just glared at him, and I seemed to know what was going on (but thinking back, this was totally impossible). I felt him take my hand and he said my name again and again, this time quieter. The girl he had been with approached me from behind and held my shoulders. They smiled at each other. They seemed to be conferring about what to do to me but I was completely oblivious to their silent conversations. Xander lay down in front of me and the girl copied him but behind me. I only stood and didn’t react to anything they did. He whispered my name again. It seemed to never end, both of them saying my name constantly. His face transformed into some sort of black smudge all over his face. I turned back to the girl whose face had transformed in the same way. Xander said “Darling, wake up now,” in a different voice and the dream ended.

Very nice dream scene. It's strange and wacky which I like. It's what dreams are really like. You described it well: weird.

[qutoe]“You would not wake up, no matter how much I called you,” he said.[/quote]
To make your dialogue a bit more natural, I would suggest making some of your words contractions.

“Your skin is like ice, but you were sweating. Were you dreaming about something weird?”

The bolded bit seems force because I think you were trying to describe it your MC. It's fairly obvious that's what you were doing. Perhaps asking if she is okay first would make it a little more natural.

“Hey,” he tried to assure me everything was fine. It didn’t work, he had never been too good at helping me feel better, but he tried. He put his hand on my cheek and I placed my pale hand on his wrist so I knew that he wouldn’t leave me. He kissed my short, coffee coloured hair slowly. The tears continued to flow down my cheeks and they touched the fingers which held my face. He lifted my head to kiss my lips. It wasn’t romantic, just friendly. It didn’t mean anything, but he was helping.

This paragraph, which does continue but this is my main issue, is a little confusing. Nathan's actions are a bit strange for a friend that has been a bit estranged, apparently. Perhaps a little insight into their past relationship would help it mesh better.

Xander stood in front of us but did nothing.

Why not? From what we've seen he's a fairly angry person. Not to mention, this is a strangely awkward situation. It doesn't seem natural.

“You know what happened. You deserve to die,” I was so angry with him.

She was afraid and crying and now she's threatening him? Character consistency is very important. Make sure she acts the same all the way through.

“Why are you walking so fast?” I asked, clearly confused. Nothing. He maintained his speed and I tripped now and again trying to keep up with him.

Ooh. Very interesting ending.

So, I really like where this is going. I find the ending very intriguing. I think Nathan is more than he seems, and I love that mysteriousness.

I'll get to your other chapters as soon as possible. I'm looking forward to going on.
Megsug

Wow this is a very detailed review, thanks :) I'll make those changes soon.

JohnLocke1 wrote a review...

The beginning to your story was interesting, but it become too confusing and hectic from then on. Work on organizing these grand ideas that you have so that your readers can easily see what you want them to see. If a reader doesn't know what's happening, your story loses so much meaning. Also, your dialogue did not seem real to me. You need to try reading your dialogue out loud to yourself to try and see if it would actually be said in normal conversation. Besides all of that, you have a very promising story ahead. Happy Writing!

Macyblak wrote a review...

LOOOOOVE this story. The beginning was just enough to really pull me in. Wonderfully sculpted.

Thanks :)

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:39 am
Raelyn723 wrote a review...

I like this a lot. I think the whole thing is very intriguing and it leaves me wanting to know more. I love that you started with action because it can get really boring when people are just endlessly describing things. But then again, I think you could use a little more description. Maybe a little bit of what the characters actually look like would be nice, woven into the writing so it's not boring and all that.

You seem a little bit rushed at times too. Like, she just falls asleep in the forest? I understand why, she's exhausted and lost and wouldn't be able to find her house if she tried, but it seems like it would take a while for her to actually fall asleep. You go directly to the dreaming practically right after she lays down. Then wouldn't she be worried about Xander following her? She seemed almost scared of him, and I almost get the vibe that he was abusive or something from this (it is just the beginning though so I could be very wrong) so I feel like she would stay awake even after deciding to sleep to make sure she didn't hear footsteps or something.

Which leads me to Nathan. I liked how you portrayed his character and made it seem like he was caring and made an effort to comfort her even if he couldn't (which I think already shows a sort of flaw, like MiaParamore said you should incorporate), but again, maybe moving on to fast from her dream? Was there a significance to the dream that will show up later in the story?

And then you said " He lifted my head to kiss my lips. It wasn’t romantic, just friendly." which, to me, is weird. I think that "friendly" kisses might be, like, on the cheek, or the hand, the forehead, or the hair or something. But a kiss on the lips seems very romantic. I don't know, maybe it's just me because nobody else has said anything about that.

I like how you dove right into Nathan and Xander, though with how protective it seems your trying to make Nathan seem over the MC, I thought he might have had a stronger reaction to Xander.

Overall, this is a really great piece and I'd love it if you kept me updated on when you update ;). Sorry if I was harsh or clueless (I've been told I can be both) but I do hope I helped at least a little! Keep me updated and keep writing!

-Raelyn

Thanks for the review, I know what you mean about the kiss but Nathan is a weird character (I guess in a good way though). I'm trying to get it all as perfect as I can and, with the help of these reviews, I'll probably manage it :D You've helped :)

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:32 pm
Lava wrote a review...

Hey againWorld!

So, this is a very confusing and interesting start. It's a great way for trying to hook the reader in.
I did have to read once again to be sure of what was happening. This can be fixed if you add proper spaces and paragraphs while writing it out. For example, put the whole dream sequence in a separate para. White space makes it easier for reading.

I felt this to be quite contradicting. I'm not sure what exactly goes on in Snow White, but the words you used made me picture a white, snow covered forest and then the image fell flat. As for the other description, I agree with Mia down there, but since it's chapter 1, I'd like too see where this leads.

This Xander is an interesting guy. I would like to see how he progresses through the story.

There was quite a chunk of excitement in this chapter which I felt was lacking in the second, but I'd love to read more. Do PM/write on my wall for the next installment.

Cheers!
Happy New year!

I'm trying my best with the description but I suck, haha. Happy new year! And I'll tell you when I put up the next chapter, thanks :)

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:30 am
MiaParamore wrote a review...

Hey there!

So, I read through this and even though it wasn't the most exciting work I can see it was interesting. I'm dying to know what exactly had happened to make the girl hate Xander so much. At this point, the reason that he lied does seem a bit silly but we'll see what you have in store for us in the future.

I found Nathan actually cute. The way he treated the MC was tender and caring. So, he's a good hero for a romantic novel. That being said, I'd like you not to make him perfect. Work on him like he's a human-give him some flaws. I'm sure you'll make a good, interesting character out of him.

Even though you did describe the surroundings to some extent, I was a bit bored when she was running. When I have to imagine her, I can see only blackness and a girl running so fast that it seems she's flying. So, give some surrounding around her. Even though she's sprinting, she does have some time to look around.

You've kept their ages a mystery. I like that, but make sure you do work on that. Right now, since it's the beginning, it's not important but your readers should have an idea how old their MCs are.

So, you've left us at a cliff-hanger and I'd totally love to see where it goes from here. Do keep me informed, 'kay?

One caution: Since it's romantic and till now seems like a love triangle, you'll have to make every effort to make it different and not let it become a cliche. So, be careful.

Best of luck! Hope this helps! ^_^

Thanks, that's a giant help. I'll make sure I add this stuff in to the second part before I submit it and I'll edit this to make it more interesting and descriptive. Hopefully :)

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:37 am
MiaParamore wrote a review...

Hey Gaiya! :) You've got a pretty name.

So, I won't lie. The reason I clicked your piece was because of your title. I was really interested to know more about Africa. It's a continent that has always fascinated me, and I was dying to read something from there.

About the 'ask Google' thing, I think it was a bit of humor on your part? If it was, then I liked it. But other ways, I'd go with Hannah. She does have a point. But ultimately, the choice is yours.

In Nigeria, very few families had Christmas trees and decorations during Christmas. This is so in my home.
You could write the second line like this-'My house was no exception.' Just a suggestion.

Ah, okay, so I am hoping that this turns out to be a novel? You've left us at a very interesting point so please don't disappoint me.

So, I liked the beginning. You could totally turn this into something really exciting. As far as your grammar is concerned, it's strong. Your writing is amusing too.

My major problem with this was that you're yet to show us the African side to all this. It would be cool if you come down with some specific things related to your culture. That would be something interesting for the readers. So keep that in mind. Remember, that's the reason I clicked your piece.

Also, since it's a diary, you need to give it a particular format. There's s'posed to be something along the lines of 'Dear Diary' blah blah and a foot note with your name(the character's name). You could see several diaries online, or simply read The Princess Diaries. It's not exactly the best read in the world but it will give you an idea of how a diary should be written.

Other than that, I don't have much to say since it was short. But please keep me updated with this story. I'd like to read more.

Cheers!

~Mia

MiaParamore says...

Sorry, I posted this here. It was for some other review.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:35 am
adelina says...

i'm speechless seriously,
but you do have to work on your character speech

adelina

Speechless in a good way? :D

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:11 am
pahoem wrote a review...

I am very interested in your story, however, it is too hard to try and read with the way you have it formatted. When somebody speaks it should be on a line of its own. Also subjects that explain different things then before should be the beginning of a new paragraph as well.

Maybe you know all this and are like uhhh yeah crazy lady the stupid website messed my awesome story up. ;) Try to fix it when you can and drop by and let me know when it's cleaned up a bit!

Aw damn it has messed it up :( I'll try and fix it then let you know

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
— Martin Luther King Jr.