z

Young Writers Society



Lightening In The Common Room

by TheUnknownPoet


Was that just lightening in the common room? KayDee said to me
I don't even know i thought in my head, should i capitalise this E??
I have an absolute hole burning in my knee, is this an metaphor or reality?
and did she? even mean? to question those previous sentences and is that an a deliberate mistake or done quite unintentionally?

who knows?

who...the (an inappropriately repugnant word which won’t block my page)...even cares?

actually


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:54 am
Snoink wrote a review...



LOL! Clever way to satirize it all... I find it especially humorous that your reviewers generally didn't catch the satire. ;)

My main problem was this:

(an inappropriately repugnant word which won’t block my page)

It was a bit too obvious for my tastes... I would have rather you just used another word. That way, that line doesn't overpower the satire too much. ;)

This gets a star! :)




User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 1579
Reviews: 36

Donate
Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:31 am
Sabine wrote a review...



I have to say this is one of the more clever poems i've seen on this forum. I'm a little surprised at the obtuseness of the previous reviewers. I especially like the second line.

I do have a little problem with this line:

"who...the (an inappropriately repugnant word which won’t block my page)...even cares?"

the parenthetical statement seems a little, well what do I mean, purile? I don't mean that meanly, it just seems like an oddly sanctimonious note in a poem that is otherwise witty and successful at thumbing it's nose at convention. Also, I think perhaps you meant 'blight' rather than 'block'? I could be wrong. (And, to be totally honest, if it were me, I'd have said "an unnecessarily vulgar..." instead, but that's just me.)

All in all though, both clever and interesting, when I read it made me smile. very good job.




Random avatar

Points: 1527
Reviews: 6

Donate
Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:25 pm
TheUnknownPoet says...



so basically the grammaical errors were the point of the poem...who really cares if something is capitalised or there is a random piece of punctuation which is just sitting anywhere. i find this constant scrutiny of those who have no real influence on anything quite humorous. but hey i guess it was a diffecult point to grasp...kind of




User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 2840
Reviews: 36

Donate
Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:14 am
EL FINITO wrote a review...



Wow i must say i did not enjoy the poem at all if its a poem, your puntuations were too much and misplaced. The idea of the "poem" was blunt and the gramatical errors were to much that i cannot analyse them one after the other. Alot of work has to be done to this "poem" to make it a poem.




User avatar
436 Reviews


Points: 83309
Reviews: 436

Donate
Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:54 am
AquaMarine wrote a review...



Hi!

Well, this is kind of weird, I have to say. I understand some of the lines, but then the first lines don't quite seem to fit with it. Maybe it's just me being silly in the morning. I'm not quite sure if you want a proper review on this, but I will anyway. :D

But the first thing that jumped out at me were your "I"s. You need to capitalize them! It's really distracting, not to mention grammatically incorrect!

who knows?

who...the (an inappropriately repugnant word which won’t block my page)...even cares?

actually

Well, if you aren't going to say the word then there's really no point even putting the "(an inappropriately repugnant word which won't block my page)" in there, is there? It doesn't really add to the poem.

I'm still not quite sure where you wanted to go with this. It all feels like broken pieces of different things you wanted to say put together; this can sound good but at the moment it sounds fragmented and disjointed.

Good luck!

~Amy





You got rid of them. Yes, that's just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World