z

Young Writers Society


12+ Language

Bread Crumbs Don't Like Pigeons

by TheSilverFox


Walking down the street towards home (or what used to be it),
I peppered the pigeons with bread crumbs,
Shouting out to everybody I saw -
"Damn fine day to be dead, huh?"

I tried to hitchhike every car in a mile,
And they pulled up to me, curious,
But looking ever so surprised when I said,
"The sun sets over there, right?"

Whoever said that beggars can't be choosers,
Obviously didn't meet somebody like me, I thought;
I'll live the life the way I want,
And won't let foreclosure get in the way.

So I let them tour through my apartment,
Told the fellows hearts are so easy to break,
Threw the flower pot out the window,
And slammed the door on their faces.

Yes, the sky's never been so blue,
And I've never had so much joy before;
The trash can's a fine damn place to sleep -
Doesn't smell as bad as I thought.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 370
Reviews: 30

Donate
Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:14 pm
View Likes
sinistercutlass wrote a review...



What a great way to end the first stanza: "Damn fine day to be dead, huh?"

I love this guy's f&*k-all attitude (sorry; I don't know if this review editor thing has a censor or not... ironic, given the point I'm trying to express). Even if the group of people with such attitude includes the nasty Donald Trump, I still find literary characters like this compelling.

His attitude acquires a layer of poignance when it's revealed that he's suffered house foreclosure. A very current, very pervasive 21st century fear.

The way I understand it, the worst possible has happened to this character, and he's not interested in keeping up the pretenses any longer. There's a kind of joy and relief in that shucking off of responsibility, and you expressed that well.

My favorite lines come in the last stanza: "Yes, the sky's never been so blue, and I've never had so much joy before." Though he's lost ownership of his house, I feel he's got a new lease on life, in a sense.

Haunting work. Well done.




User avatar
565 Reviews


Points: 1395
Reviews: 565

Donate
Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:46 pm
View Likes
Stori says...



Told the fellows hearts as so easy to break


What does this line mean? I know poetry readers are supposed to interpret things on their own, but it simply doesn't make sense even when I read the entire stanza.




TheSilverFox says...


Whoops, sorry, I made a mistake there; it's supposed to be "are," not "as." I fixed it, so it should make much more sense now.



Stori says...


Glad I could be of help.



User avatar
745 Reviews


Points: 1626
Reviews: 745

Donate
Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:14 pm
View Likes
Lumi wrote a review...



Ninetales <3

This will be brief because, in the realm of what you've shot for, you've delivered a package that quite thoroughly does the job of bringing the message to us. And so now we, the readers, take away the soul-inspired notion that there are things to be optimistic about in the world regardless of our troubles.

And that's a freakin' great message. And I won't condemn this for being simple because I am a fan, reader, and writer of simple poetry. Most of my writing is just romantic--and that's it. So with that in mind, I want to praise you for delivering so well. Of course, there are some ways to improve, so muscle through this with me.

Firstly, stanzas three and four are completely useless and need to be reforged into more substantial material. What you're looking at are two stanzas dedicated to just describing the notion of homelessness and then describing the house that isn't supposed to matter. What would be more effective is to delve into an actual scene where the narrator lived a happy life in the house. A lover, parent, kid, any sort of connection that brings the reader closer to your narrator. It's a core component that's missing, and I think it brings your potency down drastically. In fact, that's my major critique of this entire piece! I don't feel connected to the narrator, and I don't particularly care for him.

I like the notion, though. So your sentiment and core components are solid. But in editing, it's best to give tender love and care to proper characterization of each element of your poem. Remember that all elements within the confined space of your lines are inherently connected by their juxtaposition. In this train of thought, you can pull off a much more potent poem by adding elements of emotion that make the reader think: "There's so much lost, but look at how beautiful the sky is; look at how much there is to live for."

That's how you pull off something incredible. Ultimately, this entire piece is a matter of adjusting perspective, and I quite enjoy it. I just think that your skills are capable of bringing out more. Much more.

Message me if you want to discuss this further.

Ty




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 34
Reviews: 60

Donate
Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:42 am
View Likes
AllisonArgent says...



I like it.great keep up the good work.




User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 524
Reviews: 54

Donate
Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:58 am
View Likes
StupidSoup says...



:o meester Silver, you iz a poet!

I love how simple this is! Honestly, you just put out a story and ya take one look at it and bam, add a last sentence that repeats. O_O I liek it.

Anywho, the last sentence is a but clunky but I understand how hard it can be.

Well, that's all I have to say, I seriously don't do reviews though I really like poetry so \.3./





I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney