z

Young Writers Society


Mature Content

A Ruby Heart, and a Ghost's Whisper

by ThePhantomPrince


I'm not here asking for feedback, I just need to get it off my chest, thank you for understanding.

Dear Ruby,

I hate you. Sigh, I wish that were true, it would make everything so much easier. I also wish I could tell you that I don’t blame myself for what happened, but that’s not true either. You weren’t supposed to be a hero remember? You always said we were just soldiers, but whether you like it or not you died a hero. I cut ties with everyone after that. I know it was cowardly, but I guess I realized that you, not heroin, were my drug of choice. I needed my fix more than ever, but it was all gone. I know you would have wanted me to move on, and I did, well I tried. I met a girl who I’m certain you would have liked. She was spunky, and crazy, just like you. To my knowledge her combat prowess was non-existent, but no one can be like you, can they? Alas it was not meant to be, funny how things like to repeat themselves. She’s still alive though, so at this point maybe I should count that as a win.

I’m sorry I didn’t say anything on your birthday. I wanted to so bad, but the words just never came out. You know I never believed it was on valentine’s day, but I suppose that’s all I’ve got now. You would have turned 18 this year. Congrats you’re an adult. Don’t worry, you can still be a kid at heart. An adorable, lightning blade badass. I miss you. I miss late night jobs, hanging with the crew, Summer making terrible waffles, and Lex tackling Rose when he thought she wasn’t looking. Most of all though I miss you. We buried you with your blades, and with mine as well. I know how much you liked them, even if they weren’t your style. You died a warrior’s death, so with any luck, you could be my Valkyrie. There’s a million things I want to say to you, but hopefully when I see you next I’ll have a lifetime of things to tell you. Goodnight my little red reaper, sleep well.

With love,

Ghost


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
276 Reviews


Points: 16802
Reviews: 276

Donate
Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:01 pm
rosette wrote a review...



Hi, PhantomPrince.
This is an awesome piece and I truly loved it. I'm very sorry for whatever happened with you and Ruby - she sounds amazing and completely wonderful. You made this so heartfelt and emotional, I can literally feel what you, the narrator, are experiencing. And let me tell you, it really touched me. Especially that second paragraph - that was my favorite. <3
The whole idea of writing a letter is awesome. Works like these have always been a weakness of mine and honestly, it's just going to inspire me to write one myself whenever I feel down and sorrowful.

I don't know how it is for any other teens out there but those first statements, the I hate you and then, I wish it were true really spoke measures with me. Its not just sincerity there, it's truth.

Once more, I'm sorry for whatever you are going through and I hope you get through it. We're all here for you and thank you for sharing this with us.
Much love,
-TheKid




User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:31 pm
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello hello!

This is a beautifully written letter, and I'm sorry for your loss. Ruby sounds like a cool person and she was obviously very special to you. You don't want feedback, you wanted to get this off of your chest. I totally get that. This is obviously a personal thing that came from your heart so someone saying "you should write it this way...." isn't really helpful or useful to you. In the future, if you post a work like this and you're trying to get it out but you don't need feedback, you can post it on your YWS blog or on your wall or in a forum so you don't have to spend 200 points and people won't feel obligated to leave a review for it.

But since we're here, let me tell you what I liked about this letter. First and foremost, I could tell it came from a very real place and there is nothing made up or contrived about this. I can tell you put thought into your words and I thought all of the analogies and metaphors you put in were really beautiful. I also really liked the theme throughout about soldiers/combat/warriors. I felt for you when you mentioned how you've tried to move on, but it's tough because you obviously miss Ruby a lot.

So overall, I think this is a beautifully written letter with a lot of heart. I'm so sorry for your loss and your pain, and feel free to PM me any time if you need anything! <3





To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.
— Allen Ginsberg