Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Narrative

Synesthesia Narrative Draft (will add more later)

by ThePenultimateGinger

I’ll probably swear a lot in this oops

Hell this isn’t even for a school project

The inside of my head is a remarkably bright place. Behind my eyelids and above my nose rages an ocean of colour and light, crashing against the sides of my skull. The colour leaps and pulses with each new sound I hear, spinning a tapestry of brilliance. This sea of sound and light leaves little room for my thoughts at times, but over the years I’ve learned to deaden some of the ordinary sounds of life. My own grassy voice, the static background house and school noises, the screams of my enemies as I slay them in battle are all muted tones unless I concentrate on them and separate them out from the voices and music. I was born with a condition called Synesthesia, where when one sense is stimulated, another sense is also activated. The word is rooted in Greek, where it is defined as “concomitant sensations.” There are many different forms of it-I actually have a friend who sees colour in numbers-the form I have is sound-to-colour. I actually wasn't aware of this condition until I was about eleven when I described a sound in my favourite song as “purple” to my father, and he looked at me like I was stark-raving-mad. I just figured everyone experienced a high C sharp as a sharp lavender shade, dyed silver around the edges. I wasn't, and to be honest, I’m still not sure if this means I’m crazy. Makes for interesting conversation, though.

My synesthesia has dramatically helped me as a musician (I play clarinet, string bass, guitar, and my dad has finally succeeded in persuading me to learn piano and organ. He’s been attempting to teach me ever since I was physically capable of comprehending music notes.) The piano, for me, is a rainbow of colours, though not in the ROYGBIV order. It cascades up and down, the notes falling like raindrops of rose, silver, burgundy, maroon, sky blue, copper, golds of all shades, and navy blues. Chords are even more exciting, they ring like...well to be fair, I don't know what they ring like. They sound like chords. I don’t know how to explain it, it’s like describing sight to someone who has never seen. My clarinet (and most prized possession, leave me alone I'm not Squidward,) is all hues of lavender and purple. Which is why wrong notes and cruddy intonation get at me, so much-it’s a disgusting colour that gives me a bad headache. Have mercy on us poor synesthetes, your playing can cause us actual pain!

Voices for me are on a spectrum of warm to cool, with the most common shades being greens and oranges. Rarely, someone with a metallic voice comes into play, and that can be the highlight of my day...unless it’s a sharp, reflective, chrome-y voice that throws light everywhere and gives me a migraine. Those are some of the worst, right along with neon and sickly pastel voices. One of my greatest flaws as a social creature is how I react to people, just based on their sound. Someone could be a genuinely decent person, and who I could have a great relationship, but their voice bothers me so much. This is also bad for the teachers who have to put up with me. Some classes I hate going to, and I don't learn, and I can't absorb the information just because the teacher is the most wretched shade of green imaginable.

--

“The Kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance.” 

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:40 pm
ShadowVyper wrote a review...

Heyo Ginger,

Shady here with a review for you on this fine Review Day, courtesy of the Red Team. My style tends to be to make comments as I'm reading about things that stand out to me (both positive and negative!) and then to give a general summary at the end about what I thought about the piece. Let's get started...

The colour leaps and pulses with each new sound I hear, spinning a tapestry of brilliance.

You have absolutely stunning descriptions. I don't have synesthesia but I have friends who do, and let me tell you, just the imagery that you used was breathtaking. It really helped me envision the sensations that you're describing and was just very well done.

~ ~ ~

Overall, it's really fascinating to me how well you've described your condition. Synesthesia really fascinates me, but frankly I wasn't aware that it could be sound to color, and I've never thought about how it can affect you in every day life -- such as straining relationships and making it difficult to learn in school, simply because of the way someone sounds. It definitely sounds like it adds in a significant challenge to your life -- and yet you're able to talk about it in such a beautiful, creative way.

I really enjoyed your honesty and your skillful writing in this piece. It was very good and I thoroughly appreciated it. Well done!

~Shady 8)

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:15 am
interstella wrote a review...

Wow! I'm jealous. Even though I don't have synthesia, this piece made me vividly imagine what it's like. (I hope my piano playing and singing doesn't bring any synesthetes pain.) I can imagine what a pastel sounds like- a fake voice dripping with sweetness, maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Impossible Year" by Panic! At the Disco, the song I'm listening to right now, seems blue to me... perhaps you can give it a listen and tell me what you think? Anyway, this is a wonderful piece. Your descriptions put so many pictures into my head. The first paragraph is beautiful; it's exceptional prose.

My one critique, since this is a draft, is to break up your paragraphs into smaller, related bits. It's easier to digest as a reader, or at least for me.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your writing, and hope nobody's voice or playing pisses you off too much. If you ever want to talk about music or the like, I have no social life :)

-Stella

Broooooooo I just listened to that a few hours ago and I%u2019m working on a painting of it,,it%u2019s not solid blue (more red and gold, his voice is very warm) but it%u2019s definitely there
Dark navy blue that kinda turns up at the edges?? Idk how to explain it sksksks

interstella says...

Yeah, I get it. It's a good song- what a jam

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:08 am
RowenaLynn says...

YAY! You posted something! Love it! I've heard you talk about your synesthesia before, but I never had known all that much about it. Awesome. Now I wonder what my voice's color is... And what is flute to you? Who's got the best looking color voice? (Benedict Cumberbatch??) :D

Basically I think that its really cool and I honestly don't even have anything to say right now about fixing it...
Anyways... Awesome! I'll go edit my ch 2 now... gaaaah. Thanks again for the review tho.

I don%u2019t have a favourite voice, really, but beneficial carrotprices is very nice to watch
I have a least favourite
sssspeth smh
I just got super into figuring out Synesthesia because 1) it%u2019s kinda Wack 2) the main reason I love the watchmaker is one of the main characters has it and I%u2019ve never seen it really portrayed the way I experience it and that was pretty rad cause I could relate on a spiritual level and I got super..aware I guess and interested in what makes people like me have fucced up brains and it%u2019s all kinda Wack and wth why not

RowenaLynn says...

:D

These emojis are rubbing me the wrong way why can%u2019t they just be standard :%u2019(

RowenaLynn says...

Idk there are some pretty awesome ones.

RowenaLynn says...

:daddarth
Idk if this will work but here goes

This site has been redeemed

I will not condemn you for what you did yesterday, if you do it right today.
— Sheldon S. Maye