z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence Mature Content

Chapter Three

by TheOneNamedZoe


Since Xelos was asleep, Solex took this time to go out and get some fresh air. Curious, she walked towards the inhabitants area. She tightened her thick coat around her, watching her breathing form clouds in the cold air. She stared at the entrance of the village, rather hesitant to go in. She made it this far, might as well go in.As she walked down the path, she realized just how rough they lived their life. She had never seen just how bad it was, believing it was simply what she edited in the book.

Coughing and sneezing noises filled her ears, along with the soft drone of flies. Some were living in houses, some weren't. The houses weren't even well built either. Something smelled rancid. She turned her head to the scent and found that someone was cooking a dead animal well past it's due date.

Covering her mouth, she turned around to run back home, when one of them grabbed her coat, trying to tear it off so it could be their own. Another tried to take her bag, their grimy hands digging into the pouch and pulling out food. Screaming, she yanked away and ran faster towards the exit. Her screaming grew even louder as her footing cautioned around dead bodies. The living inhabitants stared at her as she ran, their bodies covered in wounds, scabs and frostbite, and tried to grab her on her way out. Luckily, she dodged the germ-infested hands. Their home was just in sight! She put her hood up and escaped the village, making her way back to their cabin.

“Xelos!” she opened the door with urgency. She threw her bag down and ran her hands through her hair. He was out cold. Sighing, she grabbed Xelos's arm, yanking him up out of bed.

"Hm?" He looked at her, confused. "What is it?" He asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes."You look troubled." He shook her hand off.

"The only thing that is troubled are all those people out on the streets!" She pointed to the door to emphasize, her eyes wide with horror. She grabbed his arm again, trying to pull him out of bed. He didn't budge."Xelos," She whined at him."We need to do something!" Her hand was thrown back yet again.

"What can we do that we haven't already done?" He shrugged, pulling out his book and scribbling into it as he spoke."The Gods are not doing anything to fix their needs so it shouldn't be too harsh of measures." With that, he closed the book and rested himself back in the mattress, hugging his pillow and sighing. "Why were you even out there in the first place? Stay inside, you're sensitive to these things."

Her face scrunched up in irritation. "You aren't sensitive because you haven't seen it!" She grabbed his hand again, along with her shield, andyanked him out of bed.

"Alright!" He gave up, letting herpull him out of the house, and get dragged off. "Brr, You could have at least let me grab a sweater..." He used his free arm to rub one of his bare arms as they made it back into the village.

Now that the inhabitants saw Xelos,they were angered. They shouted at him in agony, asking why he hadn't done anything to soothe their woes, their wounds, their dead. Xelos now saw for the first time as well, and he looked shocked at the sight. His throat seemed to close up, yet he managed to speak out.

"I-Inhabitants, please come to your senses." They managed to quiet down when he spoke."The gods would have done you good if you deserved it right now-"

One threw a huge rock at him, and the screams rose out again.

"Hey!" Solex guarded him with her shield. He cowered, but recovered; slashing down a rock aimed at her.

"People, I will heal you! Don't worry!" Solex yelled out, scared. Once again, she was dodging others who were trying to claw at her.

"Solex, don't promise that!" He looked back towards her while yelling,"the gods might not let you do-" Neither of them saw the giant rock that was hurled at Xelos, hard in the side of the head.He fell to the ground, a bleeding wound showing. Without hesitation, Solex pulled him up and they ran back home, dodging everyone once again. She locked the door and put Xelos in bed, hoping he'd heal up.

A few hours passed, and Xelos finally woke up. Solex was staring out the window, shaking her head. He stumbled out of bed, holding onto the bedframe. "Solex?"

She just continued to shake her head. "Don't look."

"Solex what.." He wobbled over. "What are you looking at?"

"Don't. look." She covered the window. "Just lay back down, okay?" her voice quivered.

He pushed her aside, looking through. "Honestly Solex, saying that is going to make me more suspicious than-!" He felt his heart stop as he watched from inside; that all the work they pulled together was falling apart.

They were fighting, punching one another, stealing eachother's belongings... Two people stood on higher pedestals, announcing a war that would soon arise.

"I can't believe it..." He whispered, pulling away from the window, dragging his hand down his face. "I... I can't believe you!" He looked towards his scared sister, having a mirrored expression.

"Xelos... I just wanted to make things better-"

"Well you didn't," He barked, pacing left and right."And the war is happening much sooner than we had planned!" He dug his hands into his hair, loudly growling under his teeth. "We... we aren't going to have enough time, because of you!" He stopped to point, poking her chest. He was trembling. "You... You want to help?" He pulled his finger away and pointed to the door. "Start by doing anything you can to calm them down so this war can be slowed!"

She nodded quickly, grabbing her things and running outside.

"I... I need to calm down..." Xelos just laid back in his bed, holding his pillow in a more protective manner.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:33 pm
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Kaos here for a review!

Solex decided to go out and get some fresh air. Curious, she walked towards the inhabitant's area. As she walked down the path, she realized just how rough they lived their life. She had never seen just how bad it was, believing it was simply what she edited in the book. Coughing and sneezing noises filled her ears, along with the soft drone of flies. Some were living in houses, some weren't. The houses weren't even well built either. Something smelled rancid. She turned her head to the scent and found that someone was cooking a dead animal well past it's due date. She covered her mouth and ran back home, screaming as her footing cautioned around dead bodies. The living inhabitants stared at her as she ran, their bodies covered in wounds, scabs and frostbite.


This first paragraph seems rather scattered, so I suggest you chop it up into more than one paragraph. The only function I can see of it is to set up the atmosphere. It feels choppy as it goes from thing to thing, addressing everything in one big starting paragraph. Instead of this I would have rather liked to see the description sprinkled throughout the chapter. I do like the atmosphere that you set up here, it's just messy in how you tell everything instead of it feeling more connected.

“Xelos!” she opened the door with urgency.

"Hm?" He lifted from his bed. "What is it? You look troubled."

"The only thing troubled is all those people out on the streets!" She pointed to the door to emphasize, her eyes wide with horror. "Xelos, we need to do something!"

"What can we do that we haven't already done? The god's are not doing anything to fix their needs so it shouldn't be too harsh of measures." He rested himself back in the mattress, hugging his pillow and sighing. "You had your fresh air, didn't you? Stay inside, you're sensitive to these things."


I didn't find the dialogue all that believable, as the characters talk sort of monotone, despite you using exclamation marks and all the like, which actually made me feel like the main character was being melodramatic. Instead of having an excess of exclamation marks, which I suggest you cut out, use the concern through the dialogue. I feel the reaction of the main character should be toned down from what you have here, a sort of more depressed and overwhelmed feeling. I like that you make Xelos dismissive of what the main character is saying, but make it more believable, or tune it to where it sounds like a parent would when dismissing a child's problems.

For grammar, it should be "The Gods'" as you are addressing something that the characters believe are real (or at least I think) and that there are plural gods.

Further on in the chapter, it seems that Xelos is a sort of healer. This makes more sense as to why the people of the town are mad at him, but I feel like you should capture their anger in a different way.

Back to the topic of exclamation marks. Quit using so many. You can express that a character is loud or mad or anything of that sort without having to use so many exclamation marks in a short amount of time. It weakens the dialogue heavily, and I suggest using more body language to express these sort of emotions. It seems that you sort of avoid using this.

He pushed her aside, looking through. He felt his heart stop as he watched all the work they pulled together fall apart.

They were fighting, punching one another, stealing each others belongings... Two people stood on higher pedestals, announcing a war that would soon arise.

"I can't believe it..." He whispered, pulling away from the window. "I... I can't believe you!" He looked towards his scared sister, having a mirrored expression.

"Xelos... I just wanted to make things better-"

"Well you didn't, and the war is happening much sooner than planned!" He dug his hands into his hair, loudly growling under his teeth. "We... we aren't going to have enough time, because of you!" He lifted her up by her shirt collar, trembling. "You... You want to help? Start by doing anything you can to calm them down so this war can be slowed!" He threw her back down.

She nodded quickly, grabbing her things and running outside.

Xelos just laid back in his bed, holding his pillow in a more protective manner.


Use something other than ellipses, because there's an excess of that too in this chapter, but especially near the end of the chapter. It does the same as using too many exclamation marks by making the dialogue melodramatic.

I felt that neither of these main characters were sort of in the right, it felt like you were trying to make Xelos that, but that didn't really end up happening for me. Both of their characters feel very wavering on their actions, which don't really make sense. Solex locking Xelos up for them to heal didn't really make sense to me either or how it helped town.

Your pacing in this chapter goes by too fast. You're trying to establish that the town is broken and that a war is going to break out soon but you don't give it time to be created and it seems like you're just trying to get into the war that's supposedly going to happen soon. Rather, there's a lot of running back and forth in this chapter. We go back and forth from Xelos laying down in bed and the town rampaging. Keep the characters in one setting instead of having the reader have to go back to dialogue of Xelos in bed and Solex yelling, "We need to help the town!" The ending in this chapter confused me. Xelos was angry about the war, yet just goes back to laying down. It makes the character seem nonchalant more than anything else. Xelos is screaming our ears out about the war about to happen, yet doesn't really do anything.

I've picked up on Solex is Xelos backwards, and I haven't read the other chapters so I don't know the reasoning for this.

I hope this helped and have a great day.






Read the other chapters and a lot will Make sense.
There is too much I have to explain as to why said characters do this.
And Why Solex is a flipped Xelos.
And a lot of other things.
(Also, you read the prologue)



User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:39 pm
Dracula wrote a review...



Hey there, TheOneNamedZoe, and Happy Review Day! Having not read the other chapters, I'll just focus on nitpicks and grammar sorts of things.

Curious, she walked towards the inhabitant's area. As she walked down the path, she realized just how rough they lived their life.
Inhabitants' is correct, not inhabitant's. This is because further on, you say 'they', so you need to be using plural forms.

believing it was simply what she edited in the book.Coughing and sneezing noises filled her ears, along with the soft drone of flies.
You forget a space between the two sentences. Also, I just want to say that I love your descriptions, especially 'the soft drone of flies'. It lends a very magical tone to the story. :)

"I-Inhabitants... please come to your senses. The god's would have done you good if you deserved it right now_"
Full stop.

"Hey!" Solex guarded him with her shield. He cowered, but recovered; slashing down a rock aimed at her.
I love Xelos and Solex's relationship. She's not afraid to speak her mind, and he's learning to accept his destiny. And throughout it they're protecting each other. I think you've written this well.

They were fighting, punching one another, stealing others belongings... Two people stood on higher pedestals, announcing a war that would soon arise.
I think it should read 'stealing EACH others belongings'. That extra word makes the sentence flow better.

There you go! That's all I could see to point out. Keep writing!






Thank you for the review! If you liked it, please feel free to read the others!




Democracy! Bah! When I hear that word I reach for my feather Boa!
— Allen Ginsburg