z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Lost System -Chapter two- Diplomacy

by TheMythMaster


-Chapter two-

Diplomacy

From afar Kemetar appeared almost to blend into the ring of asteroids surrounding the small planet. However as Fintans ship drew closer he observed the planet's scarred surface. Since Kemetar had come into the commonwealth all parties had grown richer. The mining planet provided an abundance of materials that allowed for strong trade alliances. Perhaps it was his personal connection to the planet -it being the first planet he’d been to as part of an official delegation- but Fintan felt that the small planet was a vital part of the commonwealth’s many factions.

Fintan wore a simple black and white suit, his bright blonde hair was hidden under a top hat, meaning that his small badge was the only thing distinguishing him as royalty. Leaving his chair in the small transport craft, Fintan entered the cockpit, to better observe the planet. The captain gave him a short salute upon noticing his entry.

Kemetar was primarily a mining planet, in fact the asteroid belt that circled the planet was solely created from the excess rock that was excavated from the large quarries, Kemetars atmosphere was so thin and it’s gravity so weak that often debris from the higher layers of the quarries would be tossed up and so join the asteroid belt. It was due to this low atmosphere that the only city on Kemetar was built along the sides of a large canyon that stretched along half the planet.

Their ship landed shortly, and walking down the boarding ramp Fintan noticed with sadness the absence of his usual welcome. Replaced instead with three Sparken soldiers and a governor-general.

“Hello, Prince Fintan.” The General said he, like the other Sparkens, was red skinned, with orange hair, and wearing armour with a large breastplate, in the centre of which was a dark crimson stamp showing three horns. His arms were bare, Sparkens grew scales on their arms that provided as much protection as any armour. His large boots, unlike the simple red ones of his soldiers, had a large silver plate at the toe with spikes pointing out. And the most notable point of distinction, was that where his soldiers had the lower half of their face covered by a mask with small visors that came up to cover their eyes and a small band of metal, sometimes adorned with a jewel on their head -letting their orange, red, or black spiked hair show- the governor general had a round helmut the covered only the top of his head also with a visor for eye protection and two short curved horns on the top.

“Greetings. Is not general Alzan here?” Fintan asked. Alzan being the one who had led the invasion and the one whom Fintan had previously spoken with.

“General Alzan is away at the moment, I am General Ilfar and I have taken over as governor general in this system.” The General motioned for Fintan and his retinue to follow, “come, we shall discuss more in the fortress”

Fintan, and his two bodyguards followed the general to the Sparken fortress. The landing pad was just outside the main gate which consisted of two large pillars each with a beam on top. The beams formed part of an upside down triangle meeting in the middle of the gate at an angle and rising on either side. Entry into the fortress courtyard was blocked by a large metal door which lowered into the ground with a grinding sound and the walls surrounding the fortress were made up of evenly spaced pillars with electrical barriers in between. Inside the courtyard there was the main palace which appeared to be a large red box with another rectangular box on top, and a nearby tower connected by a bridge along which there were several large gun emplacements pointed skyward. As the gates came back up to close behind them Fintan noticed the short exhaust tower on the right side of the courtyard as a large black cloud and foul smell mushroomed out of it.

They soon came to the main doors of the Sparken fortress. Where one of the soldiers swiped an access key and the doors opened outward. Ilfor turned to Fintan saying: “we may leave our guards here.” And entered the building as his guards took up posts beside the door. Fintans guards looked to him he hesitated for a moment but Ilfor continued inside and Fintan motioned for his guards to wait for him. Without his guards he would be no match for Ilfor, but It was a risk he would have to take.

The hall was silver with red trim, and hidden lights where the walls met the ceiling. With more grinding clinks a door on the left wall opened revealing a stairway, atop of which was a landing that opened into a large room with windows on three walls and a long meeting table in the middle. Into this room Ilfor led Fintan.

“You may sit. Now what is it you wish to discuss?” Ilfor began. Fintan took a seat, and laid out the concerns in the fashion he’d previously decided on. Since the invasions Fintan had been trying to find the right words to explain himself, however now he wondered if his words would be in vain. Fintan explained how the Sparken occupation had been both sudden and unnerving, the previous Sparken emperor TIlcor who had united the various warring tribes had come to a peace agreement with the Relia Commonwealth and the crown understood the occupation as a direct violation of this, furthermore, though FIntan made sure to disguise his personal affection for Kemetar in particular, he made it clear that the Commonwealth operated on a system of trust and mutual benefits and though the Sparkens were welcome to pass through or even set up a base on Kemetar -and Fintan went to lengths to make sure Ilfor understood that the base should be exclusively diplomatic- the Sparken occupation appeared to be of a militaristic nature. Throughout the discussion, Ilfor listened politely without making comments, and though Fintan was sure he understood correctly, as he continued Ilfors silence and the permanence that the fortress reflected, began to turn Fintans cautious optimism to dread and when he finished his doubts seemed confirmed.

Ilfor nodded once. Strode across the room, and clapping his hands together answered in a sardonic tone.

“I see your argument was very well thought out. However while the peace agreement may have been respected under Tilcor, he was stabbed one to many times by his wife and Emperor Ragnr sees no reason to continue an agreement his father made, the Sparken empire is under Emperor Ragnr’s command and no others.” Ilfor frowned and raised his hand when Fintan continued to protest. “It is time for you to leave now, and be advised against disregarding our authority here again.

Fintan, muttered something polite and left quickly feeling thoroughly defeated. He walked quickly, nearly running, down the hall feeling at every moment as though the general would appear behind him to arrest him. As he exited the fortress his guards fell in behind him and the general's earlier words came back to him, ‘governor general, in this system.’ The Sparken empire would only grow, this was not a diplomatic temporary stay as Fintans father had told him, the Sparkens had begun an invasion of the Relia System.

His guards silently followed him to the ship. And Fintan breathed a sigh of relief at seeing the ship unharmed.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
542 Reviews


Points: 41664
Reviews: 542

Donate
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:46 am
Liminality wrote a review...



Hi MythMaster! Lim here with a review.

First Impressions

I quite liked Fintan as a character! I could relate to his quiet, diplomatic demeanour and his fondness for Kemetar. I was definitely rooting for him when he was trying to convince the Sparken general. The chapter generally has an ominous feel. I like that it’s more focused on one point/ event, because that highlights the impact and also makes it easier for me as a reader to follow.

Characterisation

Fintan wore a simple black and white suit, his bright blonde hair was hidden under a top hat, meaning that his small badge was the only thing distinguishing him as royalty.

I like this character introduction. It shows in just one line that Fintan is a more low-key character than Aster is (and contrasting characters are neat!) and describes his appearance.

Their ship landed shortly, and walking down the boarding ramp Fintan noticed with sadness the absence of his usual welcome.

I also like this detail and the choice to use “sadness” there. To me, it kind of suggests he’s a more sentimental / ‘softer’ character than the others we’ve met so far.

Ilfor was also set up to be polite but intimidating, and I could guess that Fintan’s persuasion wasn’t going to work. I like the way their characters bounced off of each other here and created what felt like a natural consequence.
“I see your argument was very well thought out. However while the peace agreement may have been respected under Tilcor, he was stabbed one to many times by his wife . . .

^ This was a good line! The indirectness and the bit of dark humour makes him seem all the more intimidating a character.

Ending

I thought the ending was a little bit abrupt. Before the chapter ends, Fintan kind of rehashes something that we already know:
The Sparken empire would only grow, this was not a diplomatic temporary stay as Fintans father had told him, the Sparkens had begun an invasion of the Relia System.

I kind of feel like I’m missing a sense of what Fintan’s next action will be, or how he is going to fit into the story that’s already been kickstarted by Aster in the previous chapter. Something like that would be really nice to have and create momentum moving into the next part.

Setting and Atmosphere

Something I liked about this chapter was the ominous atmosphere and how that foreshadows the results of the meeting with Ilfor. Kemetar itself already seems rather bleak, with it having a “scarred surface” and only having one city. The part where Ilfor says the general stationed there had changed was already making me think hmm, something’s not quite right here. When both of them leave their guards at the gate was also a good moment of foreshadowing, especially because of Fintan’s remark that he couldn’t take Ilfor in a fight.

I think the paragraphing and layout of the chapter has improved a lot since the first one. I felt like the story flowed a lot better here and was able to appreciate the setting more. I find it interesting that the hall is described as being mainly silver with a “red trim” – that feels the opposite of big halls you’d usually find in the real world, and so that gave it a sci-fi vibe for me.

With more grinding clinks a door on the left wall opened revealing a stairway, atop of which was a landing that opened into a large room with windows on three walls and a long meeting table in the middle.

I also like this description of the meeting place. It feels very confining, and so creates an atmosphere of hopelessness for Fintan’s cause.

Overall

I enjoyed seeing another corner of the world that you’ve developed, and being introduced to this new character. I’m definitely eager to read on and find out what else is happening to do with the Sparken’s invasions and how Aster plans to stop them.

Hope this helps, and feel free to ask for more feedback!
-Lim




User avatar


Points: 33
Reviews: 3

Donate
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:40 pm
VagueFairee wrote a review...



I'm really liking this story so far. Reading through I have noticed a few grammar mistakes here and there.

For example; "Hello, Prince Fintan.” The General said he, like the other Sparkens-

It should be; "Hello, Prince Fintan," The General said. He, like the other Sparkens-

Also, in that last paragraph; Fintan, muttered something polite and left quickly feeling thoroughly defeated.

It should be; Fintan muttered something polite and left quickly, feeling thoroughly defeated.

These are simple mistakes that are easily fixed in a rewrite, I know you said you wanted to rewrite this chapter anyway, these are just some of my thoughts on it. Overall, the pacing is good and I like the aliens descriptions.

Maybe in a rewrite you could focus on showing the conversation between Fintan and the General, with the General seemingly interested in what Fintan says in the beginning (listening politely), but as Fintan goes on he shows disinterest, or stiffens up in annoyance, that would be a good way to bring more tension into the scene as both Fintan and the reader slowly realise the General isn't going to listen to anything Fintan says, that he's not to be trusted.

Those are just my two cents, great work so far and I look forward to seeing where this goes next.






Hey, @VagueFairee thanks for your review!

I think you made a good point about giving more dialogue from Fintan and the Generals conversation, I was kind of experimenting with a certain style here but I think it doesn't really fit. When I rewrite this I'll give a more complete account of the conversation.

Thanks for the grammar tips, I was in a bit of a hurry to get to the next chapter when I wrote this so I figured there'd be a lot of grammar mistakes.

So, thanks again for your review, it always helps to know what is and isn't a mistake and that people enjoy my stories.

-Myth




It always seems impossible until it's done.
— Nelson Mandela