Beowulf Project Part 1

by TheEccentricScribe

So, for a while now I have been plotting out a novel which uses a character briefly mentioned about in the beginning of Beowulf, called King Scyld by the Beowulf poet. His life is pretty awesome, but there exists less than fifty lines describing it. I thought it might be interesting to turn it into a novel. Since I don't really think of this as a fanfic, I am just posting it here. I hope it's enjoyable.

Book I: Nameless

In the blood of spirits the words are spoken.

You have listened to the songs of valor, to the fierce wars and faithful loves, to the wandering twists and turns. It has been asked, and so it has been told, of the choice between pasture and glory, emblazoned on an endless shield on a war-story unfinished. Then someone, singing of arms and a man, let his pen still when his hero’s rage overwhelmed them both. Silent before a nameless bard we have heard tell of the king’s grief at the hands of a wretched monster, and how noble kindred came to great relief. The hall-strife, the struggle in the deep tarn, and the heat-blasted cavern echo to us. He lived and died a great hero, that Geatish king. But his tale is told. New blood stirs in history, and forges ahead to a time before.

No muse yet heard, she is reborn for you, and now you, her child, will make her sing. He kissed her and called her sin to hide his shame, but why? Why, brooding master of fire, do you condemn her boundless song? She must be heard. I know this from the simple piper, the ancient bard who married angels and demons, works of a prophet-poet. But prophecy is his.

I sing of a good king.

I

Briny waves crashed into the breaking sand, the stark lamplight radiant on the sea like the glimmer on a sword’s metal as it breaks to the hilt. The beach lay like a great, white-bellied beast that reclines in the sun, stretching, unworried by what goes on about it, for no creature dares match its might or question its place. There stood a humble dwelling, home to a fisherman, a stout and strange hermit who had lived there always, people said. His net was full of shimmering fish, when the light came. It was not the light of the sun or the moon, not the light of fire. It was the light of prophecy, of gods, of worlds other and times unknown. The hermit let his net drop, and the fish went free, and he turned from himself and answered the call.

“My son comes to you,” said a voice in the light. “He flees from Saturn, the older Urizen, and from a jealous king. His story has been told in different ways, but you must bring him to a new destiny.”

“My power is fading. All of us dim, our kind, for they do not listen.” The hermit sighed. “How will I make them listen?”

The once-king smiled. “Gods do not fade; it is the hearts of men that fade, and they call false divine truth when they can no longer see from the darkness. I no longer may serve the duties of a king, but the younger Urizen has nodded his head as I grasped at his knees. Jupiter has granted a new kingdom to my son. Teach him piety, teach him balance, teach him reason. Your duty is to make him kinglike, not king.”

The ancient hermit nodded in obedience, and the once-king left, as did the light of visions. He returned to his net, and bided his time.

II

When the tiger walks, the forest quiets and stills in a reverence that goes deeper than fear, though not without fear. The deer, the rabit, the trees and even the wind know the steps of that sylvan lord and tremble at his roar, and so they bow and hide, for tooth and claw tear flesh, but kingship is in his golden eyes. Even so, the waves of the sea were gentle, awed, as they brought in the dark, briny vessel, the wood stuck with barnacles. Heavy as a tomb, it settled into the sand.

The hermit saw it land, and nodded once. His measured stride brought him closer, and he knew what that ship held, though not who. He knew the name of the father, not the son. There was a moment of silence as his big, gnarled hands, fingernails dirty with sand and palms stained with fish oils, rested on the lid of the strangely designed ark. It was not made to be sailed, not by its passengers.

“Not to direct his own step,” whispered the hermit, breaking the silence. Then he opened the wooden portal. The smell was musty, of the unwashed, untended but not sickly. Light revealed the cargo: golden coins hammered thin, cups crusted with gems, swords made well but not ornamental, shields inlaid with careful design. It was the treasure fit for a lord. And there, beside the mast, he lay unconscious, dressed regally, but unmoving.

The old man approached his lord, inspecting the motionless body. He was young in years, his face barely graced with the first signs of manhood. A strange heaviness was holding shut his eyes, a sleep not natural, and his body was not without battle-wounds, though none serious. Grim, silent, the hermit began his duty without pause.

III

In sleep the mind coils so tight around itself, all embarrassed self-consciousness is lost. Ideas are not looked at from abstraction, but eyes and object become one magnificent hum of deep feeling. In sleep this intimacy of ignorance and oneness is a comfort. In daylight, it is terror and madness, if not death. Imagine the loveliness, the despair of your darkest hour. In that day, at that time, you were you and could look down on your despair as yours. But not him, not this strange orphan. He awoke in pain, but the pain was him, not his, and he was despair. But he could not hold the despair in his mind’s eye, for an eye can not look upon itself. This is what it is to be nameless, if you despair.

The hermit was quiet and offered food. He was not a man of words, for words made spaces between things, spaces he considered cumbersome. Extra words, at least, were dangerous The right words, however, were indespensible. So they did not talk. They ate. The meal was fish, some fruit, biscuits. Simplicity was his choice, always.

“Who are you?” asked the orphan.

“I am a fisherman.” The words came with a totality that somehow closed the question.

“Do you know who I am?”

“The son of someone great, with duties as great or greater.”

“Why can I not remember who I am, or where I am from? I know the names of things, and something of the world, but I know not my name, and little of myself.”

“You have not yet fully woken from the sleep that brought you here.”

“Why do you not answer my questions fully?” His young voice held authoritative impatience.

“Because answers are as empty or as full as their questions. When I end a sentence, I am done with your question.”

Somehow the words were not unkind. Still, the orphan wanted to not like the grizzly old man, wanted to hate his sun-baked, wizened face and grey beard filled with sand and drifting, careful eyes. But he liked him anyway.

IV

There is something special about orphan stories. Poets need parents to create their characters somewhere along the way, even orphans. But there is something different here. It keeps showing up. Why? Maybe we like to sing our own stories, and the orphans become our own children. The tragedy might be a useful device to employ, to get sympathy. But when it really happens, there it is. An orphan won’t sit at a poet’s side; keeping pace with him takes endurance. You have to follow close, or the space will grow too big.

The hermit taught him what he knew. He taught him how to fish, how to weave, how to forage. The boy already knew how to hunt, and was better at it than the old man. But the hermit discouraged hunting.

“Do you think it is wrong to kill animals for food?”

“No.”

“Then why are you against hunting?”

The hermit sat up, inhaling slowly, then exhaling slowly. “I am not against it. But it should not be the center of a way of life. It is not balanced. Hunting favors the rush of blood, the call of Urizen, trains you into a way of thinking that is not proper for civilization.”

“There is no civilization here,” scoffed the orphan.

“It only takes one man to be civil, or savage,” said the hermit patiently.

“And hunting is savage?”

“Living life as a hunter, yes. Letting the hunt be part of you is not. You must find the middle way.”

“What is Urizen? You say it often.”

The hermit gazed off with cool eyes. “There are powers behind all things in this world. Some people worship them as gods, others recognize them as companion forces, and still others ignore them completely. But they are real, whatever stance you take. Each power has its place, and is connected to others of its kind. I am connected to the sea, to the beach. Urizen’s pure prophet has not yet been born, but when he is, many things will change. Prophets until now have only served the lesser faces of Urizen, lesser powers who are him, but less than him.”

“Is Urizen good?”

“No. Not by himself. He is broken.”

“You speak as if you were one of these powers.”

The hermit looked at him calmly. “I am.”

The orphan smirked, looking at the old man’s graying hairs and wrinkled mouth, skin deeply touched by the sun and body bent with age. “You do not look like a god to me.”

The hermit smiled. “How many have you seen?”

Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:33 am
Master_Yoda wrote a review...

Hey Scribe

I know I assumed that this would be long and drawn out, but hence I was wrong. There is little to add to this beautifully crafted story. I had never read these lines in beowolf, but the story itself is one that deserves to be made into a standalone epic.

Here is my review of this chapter, and I hope that it does help a little.

:arrow: The piece itself: I remarkably enjoyed the disconnected voice of the hermit. I'm not sure if this was intended, but it gave off a certain tone of superiority. The boy's character is also fairly distinctive. Perhaps a little too distinctively naive to be believable, but at this stage I don't think this is the case. I believe that you do need to work in future chapters on adding layers to the boy's character if you want it to continue to be believable in the future. Meanwhile, you've done a splendid job making us curious about him. Yes, I think that you write a superb prose matched by few, if any, on this site.

:arrow: As far as description goes: Your vivid painting of the story is a pleasure to read. It's like the Silmarillion with a story. It reads almost like music. You effectively balance verbosity and flow emerging with something wonderful.

:arrow: As far as dialogue tags go: While I think you've done marvelously when it comes to your choices of the tags, I cannot help but feel that they avert your readers attention from the picture you've painted. Because your dialogue itself is so emotive, you don't need to describe the way in which it was said. As such, a simple "said" will suffice, and your reader will continue to stay focused on the words themselves.

Also, specifically in the following section, I would add some more dialogue tags to ensure that readers are always certain of who's talking when:

“Do you know who I am?”

:arrow: As far as your hermit is concerned: If I interpret your picture correctly, I see you as trying to portray him as a rational, impersonal fellow who tries to tell things objectively rather than subjectively. If this is the not the case, ignore this comment, but if it is I do think that one or two lines detract from this image. Only subtly, but I do think that a couple of his dialogue lines become a little too personal:
When I end a sentence, I am done with your question.”

I see this line as slightly personal. I am done with your question. I think that it would be more suited to his personality to remain constantly objective and impersonal. I also think you would do better to leave this sentence out entirely, but this is a mere matter of opinion.

Given the confidence the hermit holds throughout the rest of the piece, I don't understand why he doubts himself here.

I do hope that my review proved helpful. When faced with a piece so marvelous, it's tough to add to his work. When something is a masterpiece, to improve it is nigh impossible for one who is not a master. You write such a marvelous story that it was an honor to read.

Have a great one! :)

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:32 am

For Lethero: Geats are the people of Beowulf. hence, Geatish. Also, the "dangerous It" passage was, as you deduced, merely a typo: should be a period.

BigBadBear: This is not my story. It has already been told in fifty lines by the Beowulf poet. I am merely lengthening it out. Ergo, the similarities between this story and that of Jesus Christ, if any do exist, were there already. I have not come up with the plot; I'm just putting some flesh on it. As it stands, the Christian story is not really the first of its kind - indeed, it has a great deal of resemblence to Nordic tales that existed well before Christianity came there, from which Beowulf is probably a descendent. Beowulf of course is itself a Christian poem, but has large roots in paganism and Hellenism, etc.

As always, I greatly appreciate your comments.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:08 am
BigBadBear wrote a review...

Hey Scribe!

About halfway through this piece, I began to pick on something quite unexpected, and quite plesant. But not at the same time. In fact, I really don't know what to make of it. But before I get to that, I'll tell you some things that you probably would like to hear.

You have a fantastic way with words. You can make them flow like a river. Some of the passages, however, were quite clunky, but for the most part, it was really good. You use that very descriptive and flowery writing that most fantasy writers have. I usually don't like reading fantasy, but who knows? Your story is rather interesting. There are no huge, major errors in this piece, other than the one thing that completely stumped me and made me start it from the beginning.

Are you familiar with the story of Jesus Christ? Not his ministry, but his birth? I mean, this seems awful like it to me. For one, a God appears unto a man and tells him that He is sending a child to him, and when the child finally comes, the man accepts him into his family. Like the hermit, Joseph (Jesus' father) raises him up and teaches him how to be a carpenter, just like how the hermit teaches the boy to be a fisherman. Also, it was interesting how you included the bit about how the hermit should make the child kinglike, but not king. God didn't want Jesus to be king, but he wanted him to be kinglike.

I don't know if you knew that the story you are writing right here is insanely similar to Jesus' story, but it is. And it's pretty cool. Just make sure that you're making this story your own, you hear? Reading the Bible is one thing, but reading it in a fantasy world is pushing it just a little bit.

So! Keep writing, because you're doing fantastic. I just thought I'd bring that up.

-Jared

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:55 am
Lethero wrote a review...

Book 1: Nameless

He lived and died a great hero, that Geatish king.

Do you mean greatist?

Ok, it was a little weird to read. I'm not saying it was horrible, just weird. Also, the sentences went a long time with no period. So, my suggestion would be to dice a few of those long sentences into seperate sentences.

III
Extra words, at least, were dangerous The right words, however,

If you're trying to add emphasis put it in italics, otherwise, just put a period after dangerous.

The meal was fish, some fruit,and biscuits.

I would feel better if that and was there.

Overall:
It was ok, but not captivating, in my opinion. Now, from the way you told it I can tell it you were trying to make it seem like an old story in legends. That is good that you let the audience know this.

Well, that's all I had to say about this. If you need anything else reviewed, just PM me.

Signed,
Lethero the Werewolf

*Sad football bagpipes*
— DougalOfBiscuits