Bittersweet

by ThanaTitania

What splendor did twilight bring thee?

Made of silver, sprang into beauty.

Through stones of glamour fancied by your light,

Deceived me, brought me to tears at night.

For in painful discourse, a promise from a fleeting yesterday.

And the pledge of tomorrow's uncertain mercurial story.

Flew fast and so soon, was you my lovely season

Taking the dawn, taking the moon.

Affectedly uttered a constant reminder of throe,

My beautiful novel that I never wanted to have gone through.

In winter of tears and smiles, be forever bounded grave of that past

For against it was the odds that faltered our story to last.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:21 am
kman134 wrote a review...

Hi. This is Kman134. i'm here to review your work.

I enjoyed the elements of death and sadness that was in this poem. this kind of symbolism makes me think about how short life is and how everyone we love will die in the end. I'm aware that sounds a little nihilistic and depressing, but that is the truth in certain cases. the vocabulary is very well done and nicely formed, and the emotional tone was somber and serene.

the rhyming scheme in the first few stanzas was well established, but then it shifts to free verse in the next one. while i'm all for creative writing, it is best if you stuck with the rhyming to put it in sync. if not, then it won't be able to flow correctly and it would be a little off.

Anyways, this was a pretty good poem. i hope to read more.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:45 pm
InfiniteRectangles wrote a review...

This review is brought to you by InfiniteRectangles

Hello, InfiniteRectangles here with a review for you!

I liked your use of vocabulary in this poem. That being said, sometimes I feel that the vocabulary takes away from the message. It sounded nice, but the message isn't clear. I had to read through it twice to understand what it was about.

You started to establish a rhyme scheme in the first few stanzas, and then you lost it. And then rhymed again at the end. If you are going to add a rhyme scheme to your poem, it needs to be consistent. The flow was also off in a few places. Try reading the poem out loud to see how it sounds. That might help you with the flow.

That's all I have to say as you've already got two very thorough reviews. Keep writing and have a wonderful day/night! (Also, welcome to YWS!)

ThanaTitania says...

Thank you for reading my poem and for the comments.. You guys inspire me a lot...

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:15 pm
Virgil wrote a review...

First of all, hi there and welcome to the site, ThanaTitania! If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask me or any other names in green or red. This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review and without further ado, let's jump right in.

I wanted to first make a note on the rhyme scheme--to the reader, there isn't one? At the beginning of the poem for the first four or so lines, the poem seems to have adapted to a AABB. However, in lines five and six, yesterday and story don't rhyme. What perplexes me even more and beyond this point is that at the end of the poem in the last two lines rhyme. I'm going to suggest picking a rhyme scheme and sticking to it if you're going to be using this element.

Delving more into the actual content of the poem, I can see that this takes a bit of a focus on minimalism. Short poetry usually does seeing as the two and complementary colors. Blue and yellow. Green and red. The point is that the two aspects go well together and this isn't an exception. The flow and theme of the poem are two points that I want to touch on. For the flow (I found this to be a weaker point of the piece), I suggest reading aloud what you've written to find the parts with weak diction or syntax. A lyrical poem shouldn't feel as stiff and the word choice should feel more natural.

Finally, the message that this is attempting to get across. To the reader? There isn't one. I'm unsure of what theme you're trying to convey with this--you seem too focused on making the words sound pretty and using a strong vocabulary. Ultimately, this isn't what makes a poem. Word choice and vocabulary can add though it can also subtract. An example of this is the phrase 'uncertain mercurial story' or the other pilings of adjectives.

There are a lot of words relating to emotions used though not shown. The rule in writing 'show, don't tell' can also apply to poetry in this sense. Make the reader feel these emotions instead of just reading these emotion words and go from there in editing and revisions. Keep playing around with this poem to get a stronger outcome and a theme with more clarity to the audience.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

ThanaTitania says...

Thank you for reading my poem and criticizing it.. This will be a great help.. I'll make sure to follow your advice next time..

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:39 am
myjaspercat wrote a review...

Hey there ThanaTitania, welcome to YWS!
Myjaspercat here to review your piece

So, I don't really have an Line-by-Line for you because to be honest I was just slightly confused by your piece. The ideas and the imagery were beautiful however it didn't seem to connect all together (at least to me.) I can't really pinpoint one true emotion in this piece -more like a couple of "skinny" emotions which isn't really all that great because it makes the connection to your piece a little harder. But, all that aside, why don't I show you a few lines that I did like before I get on to the nitty-gritty.

Alright, so for this line, I really enjoyed the whole "uncertain mercurial story" thing because I felt like it really tied in a strong emotion of uncertainty and that the fact that the future (no mater how close it is) is always uncertain.

However this leads me to another point. I'm going to assume that the definition of mercurial that you're going for is: (of a person) subject to sudden or unpredictable changes of mood or mind. Now, my problem is that it makes the line a little redundant. But it's up to you if you want to keep the word in here or not, just thought I'd bring it to light.

Here I don't know why I like this line. I just do.

Now on to the nitty-gritty, nit-picky stuff.

What splendor did twilight bring thee?
Typically, you ask a question and it relates to the poem as an entirety, however I don't really see that here. I'm still slightly confused onto why you had the question at the beginning of the poem.

Glamour doesn't really feel like the right word here.

Other then that, I think that covers my nit-picks. Now we can talk about the piece as a whole.

First, you don't have to capitalize every single line. I know that sometimes it's a stylistic choice but it can become jarring to your readers. Think about it this way, if you were to put the poem into a paragraph, you wouldn't want to have randomly capitalized lines in the middle of the sentences right. Well, imply that here. Unless the line is the start of new sentence, then you should leave it be. This leads me to my next point...

You don't have to have punctuation at the end of every line. I know that you don't since there are two lines without it, however you have enough to cause a bit of a problem. Remember that every time there's punctuation, your readers are going to pause and when you have too many pauses it can really lag down the flow of the piece.

Other then that, I don't really have much else. I hope I helped some. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Good luck and continue writing.

ThanaTitania says...

Thank you so much for reviewing my work. This will be a great help..
I feel so overwhelm right now.. I never thought someone would actually read my poem here. So thank you..

coffee and writing is a superior duo
— LadyBug