Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

Neil Gaiman (Books and Comics)

by Tessitore

I think that THE MOST popular thing that Neil Gaiman has ever done was the Sandman graphic novel collection, but just for kicks and giggles...

Why do you like Neil Gaiman?

Which is your favorite book? And why?

I'm making this into a poll, too. Oh, how daring.

And for those of you who haven't read any Neil Gaiman--here is where we will pimp him to you. Because he is awesome and you need to read all his books--NOW.

Rei says...

I've just read Coraline. Not bad, though I prefer is short stories and poetry.

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:52 am
Tessitore says...

lin night wrote:
Bobo wrote:I've never read any of his books, but I've met him and got his signature, so booyah!!! He and David somethingorother made a crazy movie called Mirror Mask, and my video class saw the first showing of it (before the premiere!) and they came and talked to us. It's so trippy! You'd probably love it. It's like my favorite movie now. So yeah, look out for it. You can search for it online if you want. So yeah, Neil Gaiman is awesome.

I'm jealous.

So am I. Damn you.

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:14 am
lin night says...

I'm jealous.

Bobo wrote a review...

I've never read any of his books, but I've met him and got his signature, so booyah!!! He and David somethingorother made a crazy movie called Mirror Mask, and my video class saw the first showing of it (before the premiere!) and they came and talked to us. It's so trippy! You'd probably love it. It's like my favorite movie now. So yeah, look out for it. You can search for it online if you want. So yeah, Neil Gaiman is awesome.

Rei wrote a review...

I've never actually read much of his work, but I loved what little that I have. you know, little bits in anthologies, and things. I think North American culture doesn't have much respect for comics, though. I like that we're catching up with Japan, though. I mean, the Toronto Public Library has comics now. I find that very cool.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:19 am
lin night wrote a review...

Of the Sandman saga I've read Preludes & Nocturnes, The Doll's House, and Brief Lives. Honestly, every collection I read blows me away. The issue titled "24 Hours" from Book 1 - which featured images of normal everyday people driving nails into each other's hands while lathering out confessions, people who eventually kill each other after partaking in a minor orgy - in particular has stuck with me. Some of the ideas Gaiman came up were simply ingenious. He wasn't afraid to broach taboo subjects or show graphic violence, making arcs like the serial killer convention in Book 2 even more shocking and brilliant.

Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:21 pm
Tessitore says...

Neverwhere was the first actual book of his that I read. My mother got sick of seeing the Sandman comics, wondered what the big deal was and, since she can't stand comics, bought Neverwhere and American Gods. She finished Neverwhere and handed it to me, and I read it, and I loved it. Though Door is too cool for words, the Marquis is AWESOME. I love him.

*read Sandman* some Libraries carry them (mine do) if you don't want to dish out $20 for one. Or you can always just find a corner in your local Barnes & Noble or Borders and pretend you're interested in buying and just read it there. if you like any of his books, you'll love Sandman. Guarantee it.

iced.cappuchino wrote a review...

I've read Neverwhere (AMAZING BOOK!), American Gods and Stardust (half, because one of my friends ran off with it before I could finish it.)

My favorite so far would be Neverwhere. I love the Marquis. ^__^

I also read Good Omens. Which is Neil Gaiman AND Terry Prachett, two-in-one goodness. :)

I am gayness.
— ScarlettFire