Concerning Gods (short piece)

by Tessitore

The universe was created out of darkness. A spark came, and the spark moved over the finites of space and created life and the means to keep life. When Earth was created the roaming beasts were dumb and fierce. When they died, it took a while for the monkey’s to start their reign. Originally the prime species was no different from its hairier cousins, but this breed began to think and to fasten tools for the hunt and fire for the cooking, and then speech came along. Primordial at first thought it was, they had something above all others, the communication that was their lucky card. He believed that if it wasn’t for speech the species would have fallen extinct years ago and then this wouldn’t have all come to pass.

With speech came religion and with religion came the gods.

The gods were uncertain of their purpose at first. Altars were built in their honor and monkey’s and beasts were sacrificed to them. The gods soon learned to manipulate the fear that they struck into the speaking ones, and then they started to reign.

All gods fall, and so did the first ones. At first the speaking ones stopped speaking about them, and the gods faded while other gods sprang forth. And then the speaking ones simply didn’t remember and the gods died.

When the first gods started to die it rained blood for a thousand nights and no crops grew and the speaking ones almost died again.

And then the speaking ones started evolving to the point of history and words and letters, and they wrote down their gods, and the memory of the gods was preserved forever. This was the Golden Age.

The speaking ones loved and feared their gods. They asked them for food and shelter and happiness and vengeance. The gods learned to listen, and the gods learned how to create, and they answered the prayers of their followers and soon the gods forgot where they came from and became arrogant.

And all this he watched with no real interest, for the workings of gods and the speaking ones—humans—did not please him. What he was about was far greater then mere earth-bound creatures. The gods forgot that though the humans imagined castles in the sky that were built for the gods, the gods were at the mercy of their followers. If the followers forgot the gods, the gods would die. This was true then and it is true now.

And yet the gods felt themselves immortal, powerful and unstoppable. This was something that he only disputed when it intruded on his own lifestyle. For why should he bother to tell the truth to these creatures when it was obvious they wanted the lies? If they wanted truth they would not have forgotten who created them in the first place.

But the talking, writing monkeys evolved and the earth expanded and soon gods were everywhere and every once in a while, a god would be forgotten, and it would disappear into nothingness. There were no more dramatic rains of blood anymore… those days were long gone (though legend still speaks of it).

No, these gods were menial and stupid compared to the God that he served. This god that was completely and utterly oblivious to the presence of this planet in itself. The God simply hosted them, allowed them to live by living Himself. And he made sure that the God kept living.

It was a simple enough task, really. Just make sure God doesn’t die.

Firestalker says...

Wow you really got researching didn't you. Great!!

very interesting style. Hmm, no real characters...that's unusual. I'm not sure that this would be considered an actual story, but it was pretty interesting reading all the same.

ohhewwo says...

It is an interesting story. It's kind of in that style that sounds like someone is actually telling it to you.

I'll be looking forward to a continuation. Oh yeah, and I like your new avatar.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:30 am
Elelel says...

He he, yes. I like that too. It's also how I;ve sort of always seen gods ... like I never outright thought "humans created gods" but it was one of those things that lurks in the abck of my mind and never is spotlighted directly...

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:04 am
Shadow Knight says...

Actually, i love this peice, i mean, it's true. It's a fiction non-fiction. No character's needed, none used. I love how you called the god's arrogant, and how they were created by humans, like i said, i believe that is true.

Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:36 am
Tessitore says...

Reichieru wrote:It was kind of dull, really. Not much about it hooked me. There were no characters, and little promise for a real story.

LOL. Yeah. I get that a bunch.

I suppose when I take a few paragraphs I really enjoy out of my latest story and plop it down it doesn't make sense. But until I actually write more of this story, this is all you guys are getting. This piece is a part of another piece that's part of another piece, etc., all written in the third person in a story about things like gods. Except that we haven't met them yet...

damn.

Um, yes, well, I could see how it would be boring. But thank you for responding anyway!

Rei says...

It was kind of dull, really. Not much about it hooked me. There were no characters, and little promise for a real story.

Tessitore says...

Thanks for the review and pointing out the mistakes. I hadn't even read this over this morning before posting it. I wrote this around midnight last night while writing "The Dark", my current story. It's in the middle of it and there's a piece before that ties in a bit, but nothing that I want to post, really. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Bobo says...

An interesting take on gods. It reminds me of Douglas Adams' The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul. There are a couple of spelling errors at the beginning, and the point is a bit confusing, but I like your style a lot.

Only the suppressed word is dangerous.
— Ludwig Borne