12+

Wolf eyes, chapter 1

by Teddybear

1

Zita tucked her knees into her chest and slowed her breathing, straining her ears to hear outside the solid wooden doors of the closet she had hidden herself away in. She heard the giggling of her siblings as they searched for her and the thumping of her own heart. She resisted the urge to shush the beating in her chest and pulled herself into a tighter ball, attempting to bury herself in the piles of coats behind her without making a sound.

The giggling got nearer and her breath hitched. She froze and listened, eyes widened in fear as she stared at the sliver of yellow light under the door. The giggles stopped and a voice replaced them, “I wonder where the chicken girl went!” Foy proclaimed in an exaggerated drawl, followed by the giggling of the other kids. Zita heard his footsteps approach the door and saw his shadow block out part of the sliver of light. She was trembling now, burying her head in her arms and trying to block everything out except the steady beating of her own heart.

“I guess we should get out coats!” Foy continued, followed by more giggles, “So we can check in the coop!” Zita winced, her entire body was shaking at this point and she was struggling to keep her breathing steady.

The door burst open and Zita spilled out, ending up sprawled out on the hardwood floors of the hall, “What’s this!” Foy exclaimed, that exaggerated tone stilled heavy in his voice, “One of the chickens got in the house!” There was laughter from the kids, who had formed a circle around her. Zita looked up to see a triumphant gleam in Foy’s eye as he twisted his face into a cartoonish expression of surprise.

“Let’s take her back out to the coop!” He exclaimed, getting cheers from the others, who scrambled to get their coats. Zita struggled to fold in her wings so they wouldn't get trampled but failed, only managing to get a considerable number of her feathers yanked out by the dozen feet that pinned them to the ground.

Foy grabbed her under the arm and hauled her to her feet. She yelped in pain as another of her feathers was pulled from her body and fought against his grip but another of her siblings grabbed her other arm and held her steady. She looked to her second captor and her gut sank, Titin, the oldest of the kids, and the strongest, with a hulking figure that towered above even Foy, who was a head taller than Zita himself.

She tried to wrench her arms from their grips and tried to kick their legs from under them to no avail. She received only laughs for her efforts from the other kids, who had secured hats and scarves on their heads and necks and were eagerly awaiting another game of ‘torcher Zita’. The boys hauled her outside despite her shouts of protest and brought her to the back, where a sad little chicken coop in the shape of a miniature barn with multi-colored horned chickens clucking around outside.

The boys forced her forward, chanting out taunts that made her blood boil, “Bock, bock, bock little chicky!” One of the kids chanted, followed by a chorus of “bock, bock! Bock, bock” she struggled and shouted, knowing full well that no one would hear her through the dense forest surrounding the house, or the miles of fields beyond that.

“Come on little goth chicken, why don’t you go join your brothers and sisters!” another voice called. She resisted the urge to growl. Titin and Foy forced her through the too small opening in the coop, the sharp edges of the wood and straw digging into her arms and ripping out even more of her feathers. A chorus of laughter erupted from the bystanders at the sight of her slight form crammed into the tiny little coop, one wing sticking awkwardly out the opening.

Zita struggled to force her way back out but she was stuck, her right wing had gotten stuck in the feeding room and her left arm was pinned to her side at an awkward angle. Once the others had had their fun they left her, going back into the house out of the chilly late-autumn air to were supper was being served by Jincol. She struggled, shouting out for help as her left wing flapped uselessly outside and scared away the chickens and her right wing pushed against the solid wooden back wall of the coop.

As the sun disappeared over the treetops and the air became fidged with the promise of the nightly frost she managed to free her left arm and stick it out the opening. She used her new vantage to forced her head out next, some of her hair snagging in the cracks between the wood and ripping painfully from her scalp. She hissed in pain and forced the rest of her body out of the tiny opening, her breath fogging in front of her as she did.

Zita finally managed to free her other wing and collapsed, exhausted, onto the prickly grass, all her limbs spread out like a starfish. Starfish don’t have big ugly bird wings on their backs, a voice sneered in the back of her mind, starfish aren't chicken people. She told the voice to hush up and stared up at the stars, ignoring the biting cold and instead focusing on the sounds of the night. She heard fairy wasps jingling like tiny bells, small animals moving about in the underbrush, crickets, and frogs creaking and croaking. She closed her eyes and let the sounds surround her, wiping away the reality of her world.

She didn’t bother trying to get in the house, it was little Dron’s job to lock up all the doors every night, a task he took great pride in completing, whether everyone was inside when he did it or not. Zita sighed and sat up, scanning the windows of the house to find all the lights extinguished, perfect. She got to her feet and folded her wings behind her, trying to ignore the painful tingling where her feathers used to be.

She went barefoot into the woods, avoiding the sharp rocks and prickly plants with practiced ease and making it the creek. Her eyes darted around her, scanning for any of her siblings who might have been locked out as well and gone to the woods for shelter, not an uncommon occurrence, as she searched for a particularly large, flat stone. She found it and lifted it from it’s resting place on the river bank, revealing the hollowed dirt beneath it. She set the stone aside and grabbed the bundle of black cloth that lay in the hollowed area and quickly replaced the stone.

The bundle of cloth was, in fact, a messenger bag, filled with several days of food and a change of clothes, along with the bare minimum hygiene products, such as a hairbrush and a few bars of soap so she didn’t draw to much attention when entering big cities. Along with the bag was another piece of black cloth with a set of little silver fastens attached.

She grabbed the second piece of cloth and draped it over her wings, completely covering them, and fastened the hooks, one under the wings and one around her chest. Once the wing covering was secure she draped the bag over her shoulder and followed the creek, leaving the big white house with the black roof behind her.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:28 pm
RowenaLynn wrote a review...

Hey! Great story idea.
First, I was confused about what species Zita was... And her siblings are the ones giggling? I was just slightly confused about that. After a little while it made a little more sense, but it still felt off for me.
I love the fact that she starts low, and has lots of room for improvement and to grow throughout your story.
I also really enjoyed this line...
"Starfish don’t have big ugly bird wings on their backs, a voice sneered in the back of her mind, starfish aren't chicken people."
This really helped gain insight into what Zita is and how she thinks about herself.
Because this is the first chapter, it's hard to say if something is 'missing' because some things HAVE to be 'missing' from the beginning so that readers will actually keep on reading. I was confused about who Dron was, but then again, it can be in later chapters.

I now realize that there is a rewrite of this chapter... I will submit this anyways and then go read the rewrite. This may not even be relevant anymore... Well, keep writing and I liked the story idea!

Teddybear says...

Thanks for the comment, even if it is LESS relevant than it would have been when I first posted this. It helps regardless. I'll go read your other review now and see what you thought of the other version.

Boluk wrote a review...

Wow. Never in my life did I think that I would hear "little goth chicken" on this website. Well, I suppose there's a time and a place for everything. Sorry for my rambling you see I'm Boluk, a pitiful man who has a dream to become a filmmaker and right now I wish to review your story
With that in mind Lights, cameras, Action! Let's get ready for the review.

What I like: the pacing and general flow of a story can make or break it. Luckily for you, the pacing is quite excellent and really well done. You seem to give us a good view of how your character Zita feels about the world around her. It gives the sense that she was so used to the world around her that it basically became mediocre. The prose is excellent for most of the time. And it has some pretty darn good descriptions if I must say. (Which I do.)

What I dislike: for me most of this story would've been better if it was from the the the the the first-person view. I think that because it mostly just makes some of the descriptors not Really seem to have a purpose. I suggest using a fact checker to check your work grammatically.

Nitpicks: There are some Grammar errors in this story. Then again I also have grammar troubles I must admit

Overview: Overall this story is amazing and it gives us a unique perspective and view of the world. I am Boluk and keep writing

Thu May 03, 2018 6:50 am
Kanome wrote a review...

Hello, TheMulticoloredCyr. I am here to provide you a review. Let’s get started, shall we?

Impression on Story thus Far:

I enjoyed the way you portrayed Zitta. Is she some human/bird hybrid? You didn’t really explain what kind of person/animal/creature she is throughout the chapter. The only hints I got was ‘chicken girl’ and ‘goth’ so I am assuming that she is a fallen angel of some sort. I felt bad for Zita though. She was bullied because she is different from the others, which is one of the major issues of today. You incorporated your story with a real life issue and I like that. Now we see Zita starting off on a journey on her own. Can’t wait to see what this journey awaits for her. I don’t have much to go on right now because @BagelMarie pretty much pointed out all my concerns. Keep up the great work. Keep writing and enjoy the rest of your day.

- Kanome

manilla wrote a review...

HI! Manilla here for my first review day review (I'm late lmao)!

--

So It wasn't clear until some of Zita's actions were described that Zita is an anthro' chicken girl. That's really unique - I haven't seen many anthro bird characters that weren't all epic and grandeur. Zita has humble beginnings that you can really work off of.

Foy and Titin seem to be...Human? That's my guess.

You jump right into the beginning at a good pace. Your pacing was decent throughout the story. @BagelMarie may have covered most of my points, but I'm confused about Zita and the whole starfish scenario. Does Zita want to be changed into a starfish anthro? And what about the "Wolf Eyes" in the title? Will a wolf come rescue unfortunate Zita?

You put us into a lot of suspense, but don't forget to give the reader context as well. Just because it's clear for you doesn't mean it's clear for the reader! :P

-Manilla out
(Feel free to disregard any comment you deem unhelpful or rude. That was not my intention.)

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:29 am
BagelMarie wrote a review...

Hello there!

I really enjoyed this read, I'm already heartbroken for Zita and excited to learn about her and her journey! I love your use of detail - I could really feel Zita's hair and feathers being pulled out. And although you only gave us a very small glimpse into this world, I can't wait to read more about it: not just the lands, but also the creatures and races as well! I love your writing style; it really drew me in and made me want to keep reading!

Now, onto the review!

I have to admit that the way Zita's race was introduced was a bit confusing. I mean, the kids were calling her "chicken girl" so at first I was picturing some kind of anthropomorphic chicken. Is she an angel? Some kind of hybrid? A completely made-up race that maybe Zita doesn't even know about yet? Granted, this is just the first chapter so I'm sure the in-depth description is yet to come haha, but for now it was a little confusing.

Also, I feel like maybe Zita's time in the closet could be depicted as more of a fearful experience. Until they started beating her up, I thought they were playing hide-and-seek. I know you possess the descriptive powers to really punch up the anxiety and fear! ;) Maybe she could be sweating, eyes filling with tears, chin trembling, thinking "please go away", etc. Or maybe the kids' laughter could be described as more sinister and cruel?
I wonder if we could also get a little more of an idea of this house. Since it sounds like Zita is leaving and won't be returning, we should know as much as possible about it in this chapter. Is it an orphanage? A boarding house? A school? Are the kids actually related, or are they just housemates? How long has Zita lived there? How many other kids live there? Are all the other kids human? Or is it a place for races of all kinds? Has Zita been picked on all her life, or did it just start when Foy and Titin came along?

...straining her ears to hear outside the solid wooden doors of the closet she had hidden herself away in.

I think the rule about ending sentences with prepositions is technically outdated and no longer relevant, but I actually think revising this sentence would make it a little clearer:
"...straining her ears to hear outside the solid wooden doors of the closet where she was hiding."

Zita heard his footsteps approach the door and saw his shadow block out part of the sliver of light.

The 'sliver' descriptor is repetitive, and actually unnecessary. You could just say "...saw his shadow block the light."

She looked to her second captor and her gut sank, Titin, the oldest of the kids, and the strongest, with a hulking figure that towered above even Foy, who was a head taller than Zita himself.

This whole sentence was pretty confusing, but it looks like it could be cleared up with a few quick revisions:
"She looked to her second captor and her gut sank. It was Titin, the oldest and strongest of the kids, with a hulking figure that towered above even Foy (who was already a head taller than Zita)."

‘torcher Zita’.

"torture" :)

...where a sad little chicken coop in the shape of a miniature barn with multi-colored horned chickens clucking around outside.

Another sentence that needs a little revision in order to be clearer.

“Bock, bock, bock little chicky!”

I believe the sounds chickens make are usually spelled "bawk"... but I could be wrong about that hehe.

“bock, bock! Bock, bock” she struggled and shouted, knowing full well that no one would hear her through the dense forest surrounding the house, or the miles of fields beyond that.

There should be a period at the end of those quotations, I believe..

Zita struggled to force her way back out but she was stuck, her right wing had gotten stuck in the feeding room and her left arm was pinned to her side at an awkward angle.

I would change this comma to a hyphen or a semicolon - the second part of the sentence is a separate thought.

As the sun disappeared over the treetops and the air became fidged with the promise of the nightly frost she managed to free her left arm and stick it out the opening.

Could use a comma after 'frost', and I think you meant "frigid" :)

Starfish don’t have big ugly bird wings on their backs, a voice sneered in the back of her mind, starfish aren't chicken people.

Since this sentence contains a thought, it would be more effective if you italicized it or put it in quotes:
Starfish don’t have big ugly bird wings on their backs, a voice sneered in the back of her mind, Starfish aren't chicken people.

She heard fairy wasps jingling like tiny bells, small animals moving about in the underbrush, crickets, and frogs creaking and croaking.

I love the description in this sentence, but it almost feels like a run-on. I would replace the commas with semicolons to really give it some distinction and separation:
"She heard fairy wasps jingling like tiny bells; small animals moving about in the underbrush; crickets; frogs creaking and croaking."

She didn’t bother trying to get in the house, it was little Dron’s job to lock up all the doors every night...

Another comma that would be more effective as a hyphen or semicolon.

...all the lights extinguished, perfect.

I think that comma could be a period, to give 'perfect' more emphasis and drama.

Her eyes darted around her, scanning for any of her siblings who might have been locked out as well and gone to the woods for shelter, not an uncommon occurrence, as she searched for a particularly large, flat stone.

Awkward run-on sentence:
"Her eyes darted around, scanning for any of her siblings who might have been locked out as well and come to the woods for shelter (which was not an uncommon occurrence). As she searched, she also kept an eye out for a large, flat, and very familiar stone."

The bundle of cloth was, in fact, a messenger bag...

This sentence has an overabundance of commas. Changing this first bit could help a lot:
"The bundle of cloth was actually a messenger bag..."

That's all I've got! There were a couple of other little punctuation typos here and there, but those are easy fixes with a quick reread ^^ Sorry it grew to be so long, but I hope it helps! I really, really enjoyed this chapter, and I will definitely be following this story to see how it develops! I especially can't wait to find out more about Zita and why the story is called "Wolf Eyes"! :D Feel free to take or leave any of these revisions; they're just suggestions, and you know your story better than I do.

Definitely keep writing this, and I can't wait to read chapter 2!

-Bagel

Teddybear says...

Thanks for your help, I'm writing this on a google doc, and I have someone else helping out, but a fresh pair of eyes never hurt. And, just so you know, 'Wolf eyes" is a temporary placeholder for another title later on. I'm only really putting it here so I can get people like you to offer their opinions because this is a school project (project-based schools are awesome) and I'm getting credit for it, so I want it to be the best it can be. (And the phrase 'Wolf Eyes' does have a significant meaning in the story, like, if you've read the Heroes of Olympus, think 'Bob says hello' type significance, or, from the first series, 'you drool in your sleep')

BagelMarie says...

Ahh I see, well I'm still excited to keep reading! ^^

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer