Dirt in My Own Grave ch. 2

by Teague

Author's Note: I hate how this ends, couldn't find a good spot without rambling for ten years. But anyway.

TEMPERATURES ARE IN CELSIUS. Because Renee is in Canada and that's how they roll in Canada.

And yes, Renee doesn't talk on purpose.

Chapter 2 (Working Title: Railway Departing)

Renee stared at the twin mulch sacks with a look of sour distaste. They were innocent-looking enough; plain burlap with the company’s logo stamped in bright red, but she couldn’t look at them without being disgusted. The bags were twenty pounds apiece, forty total. She couldn’t imagine carrying all that weight on her body all the time. She couldn’t believe she ever had.

“Renee, bring that first sack here, please,” her mother, Anna Lancaster, said. Anna was kneeling in front of a small flowerbed, floppy green hat askew, brow and arms coated with filth and sweat. The flowers in the bed were small, the blooms closed tight. Planted out of season and horribly underfed, the flowers had little chance of surviving the summer.

Renee wrapped her rail-thin arms around the sack and heaved, managing to move the heavy burlap a few inches before her arms gave way and the sack fell to the ground with a soft plop. She stared at it dumbly. Anna sighed.

“That’s alright, dear, I’ll get it myself. Send your brother outside and get back to your room; I know you’re not done packing.”

Renee turned and slid open the glass door – a task in and of itself – and shut it behind her. She turned to where her brother, Marsden, was sitting on the couch, watching television. He turned at the sound of the door closing. As his eyes met hers, Renee said nothing, simply pointing outside.

“Mum wants me?” Marsden guessed. She nodded. He swept his feet off the coffee table – which he had been told a thousand and three times not to do – and pushed Renee aside. She went spinning into the dining table, even though he hadn’t pushed her that hard.

He smirked.

“Have a good time in the loony bin, Railway,” he said before slipping outside. Renee glared at his back through the glass before trekking down the hall and into her tiny bedroom, where a tiny suitcase lay open and half-packed on her tiny bed. Tiny, tiny, tiny. Just the way she wanted it. Just the way she wanted herself.

She checked herself in the mirror. A skeleton with skin stretched taut stared back at her out of gaunt, lifeless eyes. She smiled. To her, she was perfect. Could do with losing a little more weight. That biscuit half that morning… it was ruining her. She felt sick of herself.

She turned to her bed and finished stuffing things into her suitcase. She zipped it shut and sat down on her bed, crossing her bony legs and folding her bony arms. It was cold. She hopped up to check the thermostat across the hall. It was set to a reasonable 24 degrees, but she cranked it up to 27 anyway. Marsden would get mad as usual and yell at her for being so selfish, but she didn’t care. She’d be away from him soon enough.

But she’d also be fat soon enough. Sending her away to fatten her up. Renee felt like a hand-picked hog before it’s sent to the slaughterhouse.

She didn’t know what was worse – putting on weight or dealing with Marsden.

That night, she climbed into her mother’s car and rode in silence to the clinic.

It didn’t look bad from the outside. It was made of logs, like a real rural cabin. The Canadian flag wove proudly from in front of it. The pine trees surrounding it were full of chirping birds. The sky was cloudless, a few early stars peeking out in the fading sunlight. Anna took her daughter by the hand and guided her inside, Renee’s free hand clutching her suitcase. The adults inside exchanged words with her mother. Some papers were rustled and signed. More words. A kindly lady stuck her face in Renee’s and introduced herself as Kathleen.

“Hello Renee. Welcome to Miracle Meadows Rehabilitation Centre. We’re glad to have you.”

Anna gave Renee a pained grin.

“You’ll be fine, sweetheart,” she said, kissing her rail-thin daughter’s forehead. “I’ll visit you as often as I can, and I’ll bring Marsden, too. And remember, we’re always a phone call away.”

She gently hugged her before shaking Kathleen’s hand and exiting the cabin doors.

Renee watched them swing shut with an overwhelming urge to follow after.

Kathleen took Renee by the forearm, the older woman’s fingers closing completely around the withered limb. She relieved Renee of her luggage and helped her to her feet.

“Come now, darling, we’ll set you up for the night. You arrived too late in the day for us to start you today, so we’ll introduce you to the group proper tomorrow morning. For now, I’ll just show you to your room and give you a quick tour of the facility. Okay?”

Renee nodded, following like an obedient puppy dog. The centre changed from a quaint, comfy cabin to a less welcoming, manila-walled hallway. The rug changed to tile, and the two women padded along the nearly deserted hallways. Kathleen pointed left and right as they passed.

“These rooms are for individual therapy. That one is for group sessions – those are every morning, and sometimes, emergency meetings are called. Past those big double-doors is the cafeteria. Since you’re an anorexia patient, you’ll be required to sign in and be observed as you eat. The doctor’s office is right across the hall. You’ll get to meet Dr. Nichols soon enough. Those glass doors lead to the recreational room, and out beyond that is the patio.”

They turned down a hallway that boasted chairs, some store-bought prints of famous paintings, and a sparse window or two. Every now and again was a large wooden door, each numbered with name cards posted below.

Kathleen stopped her at the end of the hallway.

“This is your room. Your would-be roommate checked out earlier, so you’re alone for now, but you should have another in a few days. Go on, get settled. I’ll leave you alone for tonight, and you’ll be promptly awoken for the morning meeting. Sleep well, Renee.”

The older woman departed, leaving Renee staring down a homely pair of beds with an oak nightstand between them, and a shelf and closet on the opposite wall. A window hovered above one of the beds, and Renee placed her suitcase on it and sat down next to it.

She held her arms against the cold, even though the thermostat was a reasonable 24 degrees.

She slid under the gloriously warm blankets and stared at the wall until she fell asleep, as numb and bitter as the cold her body felt.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Pixielit wrote a review...

Aha! So I was right.... wasn't I? Is Eric in that same place?

I liked this chapter. Renee seems very reluctant to go to this place, and it seemed like the silent treatment was her revenge. I don't know much about Celsius, but it did seem a little high... I agree with the others--you had great character definition, and a good description of the setting. I could picture the scene in my head as I read it, and it made the chapter all the more real.

Oh, and I have a question about the rehabilitation facility in your story. Is it for.. everybody? Alcoholics, drug addicts, and 'cutters', too? or just for anorexic/buliemic types?

Pixielit

ps. Alice, I got all three of those.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:29 pm
zankoku_na_tenshi wrote a review...

Wow, Razor. This was a brilliant chapter, I'm really, really impressed. I really like all the metaphors you used to help pull us into Renee's feelings, to help us understand her predicament. I felt like I could sympathize with and understand her from the very first paragraph. So just. Wow. I was thinking, when you first told me about this, that the other characters might end up feeling a bit tacked on compared to Eric, so thanks for allaying my worries: I was totally wrong. Brilliant chapter.

“Mum wants me?”

Random thought: Do they actually say "Mum" in Canada, or do they say "Mom"? Not really a critique, I'm asking because I don't know.

He swept his feet off the coffee table – which he had been told a thousand and three times not to do

XD This was funny, but I thought this sentence was a little bit awkward: we can't tell if he's been told not to sweep his feet off the coffee table or not to put them on it in the first place. I mean, common sense tells you which, but the structure of the sentence still makes you pause and have to read it again.

To her, she was perfect

As one of the other reviewers said, from what I know about anorexia, it's kind of unlikely that Renee would ever think of herself as perfect.

I dunno if I'm wrong or if this doesn't make sense or what-have-you, but I found it a little odd that they're leaving at night, rather than morning or afternoon. Eh, I dunno.

Anyway, great chapter, I'll move to the next one ASAP! ^_^

Bro333 says...

More More More!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the ending was great although ive seen better well done!

Jennafina wrote a review...

Hey, Razors! I'm kind of the perfect person to give this a critique. (I'm currently on pass, getting to use the computer for the first time in 32 days! Yay.)

Just a guess, but I think you might have got the mulch thing from my bloggy. It was a little different for me, but you did a really good job of describing it. The only thing is, for me, it (the 40 lb bag) did not look innocent once I knew what it meant. It looks huge. It's horrible. I couldn't look away, and kept getting reminded of it every time I saw something even vaguely similar.

Anorexics generally aren't left to sleep through the night on their own. They have this tendency to stop breathing and die. There are these things called "Checks" which happen every fifteen minutes all through the night. The staff come up and shine a flashlight in your face to make sure you're still alive. In the beginning, it would probably wake her up.

I never saw myself as perfect, or even close. Ever. Not at my lowest weight, definitely not at my highest. I can't imagine anyone with an eating disorder feeling that way. The thinner the anorexic gets, the less her brain works. With that, comes the feeling that she's too big. Not just fat-- a hideous monster. Too much person.

Also, there are two types of anorexic. Type one is restricting, type two is purging. The first type is the one usually portrayed in the media-- all starvation, all the time. The second type sometimes binges or eats more than they normally allow themselves, and then do stuff to make up for it like vomiting, overexercising, or fasting. I don't know which type Renee is, but there's a definite difference, and it will change the way her experience is in rehab.

Just some ideas. If you mail this to me I'll write more. I have to go now. :)

Jenna

Alice wrote a review...

Ello Saint!

That seems a bit weird to me for some reason. If it was a very out there fantasy I'd suppose it'd mean she used to be a pack mule, but since apparently it isn't so far she used to be fat right? (I'm stating this because it made me pause for a moment and think about what it meant. Thinking about the story while reading strikes me as a good thing, but having to pause to understand something doesnt.

Anna was kneeling in front of a small flowerbed, floppy green hat askew, brow and arms coated with filth and sweat. The flowers in the bed were small, the blooms closed tight. Planted out of season and horribly underfed, the flowers had little chance of surviving the summer.

Nice description, but it strikes me as mildly infodumpish.

Now we get a good idea of whats going on with Renee, in a really good way. It doesn't slam into us like an ambulence or leave a cryptic hint that makes us pause and think about it. Perfect.

Nice Similie.

She didn’t know what was worse – putting on weight or dealing with Marsden

How old is Marsden? He sounds like a jerky teenager. Speaking of ages how old is Renee? She seems like she'd be 17-22 which is very vague.

Too abrupt to be compatable with the rest of the story.

manila-walled hallway. The rug changed to tile,

Ew! Let me at the multicolored paint please!!

That one is for group sessions – those are every morning

From what I've heard group sessions wouldn't take place every morning, just once or twice a week.

Those glass doors lead to the recreational room, and out beyond that is the patio.”

That reminded me of One Floo Over the Coo-coo's Nest for some reason and made me smile ^_^.

I want to hug her! I want to cuddle and coddle her and shove protein pills down her throat! She's a good character, which is an aimiable quality in any character.

Still so far I love it!

Hope I helpped
~Alice

Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:14 am
Sam wrote a review...

Razor!

*squee* Renee is a great character--I'll be interested to see how you handle all of the fun psychology stuff as we go along. As addicts, your characters are really well rounded and are good at convincing us of "their side", even though society says they have to get better. Enticing us to the Dark Side is a sign of a really well thought-out cast.

THE WHOLE STORY

I've had the really unpleasant experience of not eating for awhile--frankly, it sucks. Not only do you get gross-skinny, but your hair starts to fall off, you alternate between being normal and being really (with sixteen exclamation points) hungry, and worst of all, you're always dizzy. You tend to get tired easier, too, and in order to avoid being around when the hunger hits, you adopt a weird sleeping cycle. Not only that, but when you get sick, you get sick, and it lasts longer than the average [eating] Joe. If you're not getting your nutrients, you turn a weird gray color, and start getting all sorts of unpleasant side effects such as bleeding gums, diarrhea, and, like Renee, weakness. Some people tremble constantly, too, and people who aren't eating are a lot colder than normal people [you did this with Renee + the thermostat, but just for the record ^_~].

Taking all of these symptoms into account, you have a character planned out by Mother Nature--someone who wears sweaters in July, has thin hair, and sleeps in small bursts. When you're writing about characters who are sick, whether the illness is mental or physical, you have to think like them in order to correctly portray how they act. Say Renee is going to a party [hypothetically, not that she actually would]--would she be afraid of people watching her eat? Would she bring a coat? Wear extra makeup to make her skin a better color? Put her hair up? Angst about avoiding drinking, because she's so skinny? Would she be afraid of passing out if she got into the pool, or anywhere with concrete?

You did a good job of the mirror self-talk, but make sure that you change the perception of her body every time you switch between the aerial view and when you're filtering through Renee. Unlike somebody who has a cold, the symptoms of mental illness are there all the time. While they might have good days or bad days, it's something that not only affects how they look to the world, but how they look to themselves, too.

[Before I forget--you mention her as rail-thin twice. It's a cool picture, but not twice in the same chapter.]

__

*snuggles Renee* You know where to find me if you have any questions. ^_^ If I space out when you post the next chapter, go ahead and poke me via PM, MSN, or send up a signal flare.

BigBadBear wrote a review...

Razor,

Another really, well done chapter, but still, I’m not getting that feel that I got for WoaS. This chapter, I thought, was totally disconnected to the last chapter, save for the fact that Eric (is that his name?) and Renee both are at the clinic for help. I like the new idea you have going here, but I’m just not feeling the same as I did for the first draft. This is still good, but not as good as the other one.

Some things that you’ve done excellently with: 1) Characterization of Marsden. 2) Description of the setting 3) Getting the emotions just right and 4) Making us feel pity for Renee.

But, however, there is one major concern that I have talked about in the line-by-line critique attached to the bottom of this page. Your dialog, Razor. It’s not the best that it could be. It’s really forced at the moment, and I know that everyone hates to hear those words. It’s really hard to get everything just right. Besides Marsden, everyone basically sounds the same. Anna, Kathleen. You know. Can you give them a flair of their own? It’s really not that difficult. How about giving one of them an accent? Those are always fun to work with, and give them a load of characterization. Dialog, I think, is the only major concern here.

Still, this is very well done, Razor. I’m so excited to read more, because I’ll always be there. (Crap! I’m not the first critiquer! Ugh. Sorry.) So, please PM me with the next update, will you, Razor? Just ‘cause you’re that awesome?

Can’t wait to read more,

-Jared

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:53 am
chocoholic wrote a review...

Nice. I like this a lot more than the first bit. I really like Renee already, and I definitely want to find out more about her. I'd like to point out one thing about the temperature, though:

reasonable 24 degrees, but she cranked it up to 27 anyway

Here in Australia we use Celsius, and even in the middle of Winter (i.e, right now) the thermostat never goes past 22. Most of the time we keep it around 20, and the house will boil even as 21. Just thought I'd point it out to you because when I read this I'm siting here thinking, 24 is reasonable? That's not right.

I know quite a bit about anorexia and I always want to know more, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the next part. Do you think you could let me know when the next part is up?

Good job!

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling