The Traveler

by TaylorMcCloskey

The Traveler

I want something new.

I want to be taken away from this place.

I want to be on the road.

I want to be in the jet stream.

I want to travel the unknown.

I want to smell tulips as I stroll through the streets of Amsterdam.

I want to walk through the vineyards in Italy.

I want see the people full of life in the pubs of Dublin.

I want to feel the chilly air blow through my hair in the mountains of Finland.

I want to have a conversation with someone that has such an understanding for the amazing place they live in.

I want to be gone.

I want to be everywhere.

I want to be a traveler. 

Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said:

Thanks for sharing this poem about someone who suffers from what is called wanderlust, the very urgent desire to travel.

wanderlust (ˈwɒndəˌlʌst)
n
a great desire to travel and rove about
[German, literally: wander desire]
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/wanderlust

Indeed I felt the urgency in this poem The need to escape the boredom cause perhaps by a very predictable daily routine that stifles the human spirit and makes on feel as if one is a caged bird. Unfortunately such travel demands one very important thing-money.

I found it safe to assume by the way the speaker talks that he or she lacks this requirement. After all, had the speaker all the money necessary to travel, then the speaker would not be expressing want, the speaker would be talking about the joys he has traveling to the far-flung places that are mentioned. So at the rout of the problem I see lack of funds.

I like the repetition of the pronoun “I” since that accentuates the desperation to get away from whatever situation it is that is unpleasant. It gives the impression of being a petition to some higher power for assistance. A desperate cry for a freedom felt denied. An outcry against an injustice felt inflicted and undeserved.

Looking forward to reading more of your work

Suggestions

. . . . that has such an understanding . . . .

[ . . . . that has a deep or profound understanding . . . . ]

Please consider adding adjectives to some of the nouns in order to create more vibrant visual images of the locations being described.

Fascinating read! Looking forward to reading more of your poetry.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:40 am
Inconceivable says...

Hello Taylor! I enjoyed this poem. I find it rather relatable as I live in a small town and I haven't been to many places. I like the imagery you present in each of the places you talk about. It allows the reader to think of what might be in these places, even though you may not have been there. It allows for this room to kind of wonder what may be in Amsterdam, Italy, or Dublin. It's simple, meaningful, and even a bit emotional. I like it. Please, keep writing!

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:13 pm
Midnightmoon wrote a review...

Hi there! Welcome to YWS! I hope you enjoy it here. I think I'll jump right in here, and I'm sorry if it's a little harsh.

So first off, a really neat idea for a poem! It has a really good rhythm. Mostly what I want to point out is some of the lines. They're a little to long to fit in well with the rest of the poem.

"I want to smell tulips as I stroll through the streets of Amsterdam." So I would just break this into two lines, like this;

"I want to smell tulips
as I stroll through the
streets of Amsterdam." I would also put "The tulips."

Now, the reason I'm pointing this out, is because the first part of your poem, and the last part, are lines of five words.

"I want to be gone.
I want to be everywhere.
I want to be a traveler." It's all lines of five. So the really long lines that you have, really mess up that rhythm you have going and makes it really awkward to read. So just break them down a little.
Anyway, really neat idea for a poem. Keep writing!

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:36 am
DarshayataDeka wrote a review...

Hi! Thought I'd drop in for a quick review.

I noticed that you are a new member of YWS. Welcome to the society! Having joined YWS just a month ago, I can assure you that all the other members are very friendly and helpful.

Now, coming to the subject of your poem. I think your poem is an ode to all those young enthusiastic travelers and explorers around the world. Referring to a number of different places around the world which you'd like to visit makes the poem more powerful because it reflects the energetic and adventurous spirit of a traveler. Writing about the different things which you may be able to experience in those places (like seeing the lively people in the pubs of Dublin and feeling the chilly wind blow against your hair in the mountains of Finland) gives a certain speciality to the poem. Personally, I think that this wonderful poem tries to present traveling and exploration as a metaphor of a young person's curiosity about himself and the world and the perilous journey he dares to undertake to find that out and realize his dreams by giving up the comfort and safety of his home. I'm not very sure but I think that there is a grammatical error in the tenth line:

"I want to have a conversation with someone that
has such an understanding for the amazing place
they live in."

It should have been:

'I want to have a conversation with someone who
they live in.'

Another thing I'd like to tell you is that the message conveyed by the first two lines of your poem conflict with that of the aforementioned tenth line. The lines are:

"I want something new.
I want to be taken away from this old place."

These lines show that you are tired of the monotonous life in your city and want to explore new places. But, then, in the tenth line, you say you want to converse with people who love the place they live in, thst is, their hometown, when, you yourself are seemed to be bored of it. Anyways, my interpretion of the poem may have been wrong.

You are a wonderful poet with a lot of creative and imaginary skills and you have the talent to present your work to the readers in such a way that they can visualize the whole event in front of their eyes and be able to relate to it. Keep up the good work!

You know how hard it is to feel like an extreme falcon-headed combat machine when somebody calls you "chicken man"?
— Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid