z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone Language

Lockdown Part 2

by Tawsif


Karim Khan presses the bell. The tune that rings is the chirping of a cuckoo. He had to go through a lot of trouble to get that door-bell, but he wanted it. Nothing in the world is as peaceful as a cuckoo’s chirping.

Barna, Karim Khan’s eleven-year-old son, opens the door with a spray in his hand. He’s giggling, because this is the first time he’s going to spray his dad.

“Arms up, daddy.”

Karim Khan lifts his arm and Barna begins spraying. On the hair, the face, the neck, the shoulders, the armpits, the arms, the back, the shirt, the trousers.

“Don’t forget the shoes.”

“Oh, yes.” Barna giggles again and starts spraying the shoes. First he sprays the upper surface, then Karim Khan lifts his legs before Barna sprays the soles.

Barna asks as Karim makes his way inside, “Dad, why the shoes?”

“Well, we can’t take any chances. I just came home walking at least half a kilo. I’ve walked on roads. I might be carrying the virus under those shoes. Who knows?”

“Come on, dad. Under the shoes?”

“Yes.” Karim Khan walks over and grabs his son’s shoulders. “Under the shoes. Like I said, we can’t take any chances. And it’s not a joke. You need to take this seriously, okay?”

This is one of those moments when Barna can’t understand his dad. Karim Khan is naturally a very amiable person, but when he gets serious, there’s an air of severity about him that almost frightens Barna.

“Okay.”

Karim Khan pats Barna on the shoulders. “Good boy.”

Karim Khan takes his shirt off and dips it into the large bowl full of bubbles of soap. He watches as the soapy water takes in the shirt, as it slowly creases and wets.

Will that be enough? Soap water?

Karim Khan has been very cautious lately. The spraying was his idea. He was the one who decided that every time someone leaves the house and comes back, Soap Water will be sprayed on them. The Soap Water is actually four teaspoonfuls of detergent in one and a half liter of water. That’s the formula IEDCR—Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control, and Research—came up with.

Since the lockdown, a weekly supply of foods has been allocated for the campus. On Sundays, a blue pickup-van goes all round the campus, stopping by each of the buildings to give away supplies as per demand. Vegetables like bottle gourd, pumpkin, potato, papaya, ladies’ finger, bitter gourd, pepper, capsicum, carrot and Malabar spinach, and also non-vegetables like chicken, beef, Rohu fish, Catla fish, and a dozen packets of biscuits—you can find an entire market in the van. 

Karim Khan is particularly careful about the supply since it’s the only thing that comes from the outside into the campus. First, he washes his own hands before touching anything in the supply. Second, he takes the all the supply from the ground floor to his apartment in the second floor by himself and doesn’t let anybody come anywhere close. Third, he takes the supply to the kitchen, drops it all on a massive black bowl filled with Soap Water. Fourth, after exactly five minutes, he takes everything out of the bowl and washes it all with water. Only after that does he allow his maid to touch the supply. The maid, Rahima, discouraged Karim Khan to wash the supplies with Soap Water since it could make the food smell like detergent. Kamrul Khan didn’t listen to her, and it turned out he was right; the food hasn’t smelled at all so far.

He has kept a sanitizer in his car, just beside the gears so it doesn’t escape his eyes. He always washes his hands first before touching anything in the car.

In his apartment, he washes his hands at least ten times a day, and makes his children and wife do the same.

He thought about closing all the windows in the house. Keeping the lights on all the time in the day, he considered, would definitely be enough to inhibit darkness. But his wife, Tamanna Sultana, didn’t agree on this. She thought shutting all the windows would only create a dreadful atmosphere in the house. The children would be nervous. Karim Khan wouldn’t mind the dreadfulness, but it was the concern of his children’s state of mind that made him keep the windows open.

He has a son and a daughter: Barna and Mala. Now, Barna and Mala are actually two different Bangla words which together form the compound word Barnamala, meaning Alphabet. You see, Karim Khan is a teacher of Bangla literature, and such exceptionally creative naming wasn’t odd at all on his part. Mala is younger than by Barna by three years, but they get along so well that the difference of age is hardly perceptible. They are cheerful kids. They love to play outside, ride bicycles around the campus, rock back and forth in the swings of the park. It’s been difficult for them since the lockdown. Barna has learnt to listen to and understand his mom and dad, but Mala is stubborn. Every afternoon she brings down hell in Karim Khan’s house, yelling, swinging her arms and legs. She wants to go outside and play.

Karim Khan took Barna, Mala, and Tamanna to the building’s rooftop last week despite himself, especially to calm Mala down. They walked for thirty minutes. The sky was white. The breeze was pleasant. The comfort was deep.

Maybe I shouldn’t have taken them there, Karim Khan thinks now. It was a bad idea.

That has been the trouble for Karim Khan. No matter how meticulous he is, the anxiety is always there. There’s always something that keeps biting at his mind.

When he took the polythene bag of Dhal from the supply van yesterday, he held at the bag at the body, not at the tip of the bag where it was tied with a small elastic. He thought that tip is where many hands had already touched the bag at, so he avoided it.

Hand gloves, Karim Khan suddenly remembers. I should’ve used gloves. I have some gloves in the wardrobe. Shit! How did I forget them?

Just like that, apprehension takes over his mind again.

***

“It’s too bad we’re not getting any games.”

Shamsul says, “Dude, don’t say that. It fucking hurts.”

“Hurts? It’s killing me!” Mahdi barks. “No games. Man, the one thing that keeps us alive in this shithole is the games. Can’t believe we’re not playing football for five days. Five days, man!”

Shamsul finds nothing to say.

“They took away the one thing we loved so much.”

“You can’t blame the authority, dude,” Shamsul says. “They had to do this. It’s a lockdown, remember?”

“Fuck the authority! Will it kill us if we had games for just forty minutes?”

“If they allow us to do that, it won’t be a lockdown at all.”

“Why not?”

“God, are you nuts?” Now Shamsul was barking. “If you play football, you’ll be running into people. You’ll be tackling, pushing, sliding, fighting for the ball. All that contact will kill you, man!”

“Oh, now you’re talking about contact. I’ll tell you what, we’re staying in the fucking House, we’re watching movies in that crammed common room, we’re having meals in the dining hall together. Where’s your contact then, huh? Where’s all that distancing shit?”

Shamsul wants to counterattack, but he doesn’t find any logic. He’s defeated.

Mahdi spits out the window. “Fuck, man. Fuck. Fuck everything.”

Right then, Ishraq runs into the room. He pants, “Guys…. Good news!”

“What?”

“We have games today.”

“WHAT?”

Ishraq screams happily, “WE HAVE GAMES, MAN!”

Mahdi and Shamsul get up from their beds and start dancing with Ishraq. Soon many of their batchmates join them. The room that was quiet and soulless not too long comes entirely alive.

The school authority, after a long meeting of thorough discussion, has decided in the morning today that the Games time of the Cadets will be resumed once again. The Games time usually lasted fifty minutes, but now it’ll continue for thirty minutes. The authority wants the Cadets to enjoy themselves as much as possible and not get bored.

Because boredom invites anxiety, and the last thing the school authority would want is the Cadets having some kind of panic attack.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22098
Reviews: 455

Donate
Fri May 01, 2020 11:13 pm
View Likes
Hijinks wrote a review...



Hello Tawsif! I'm here for Part 2!

What I really love about this part is the dialogue and the characters.

Barna asks as Karim makes his way inside, “Dad, why the shoes?”

“Well, we can’t take any chances. I just came home walking at least half a kilo. I’ve walked on roads. I might be carrying the virus under those shoes. Who knows?”

“Come on, dad. Under the shoes?”

The interactions between the father and son feel very lifelike and realistic, similar to how well you wrote the dialogue between Mahmud and his wife and son. I would say dialogue is definitely one of your strong points!

My main critique is that you've introduced two new storylines (though I'm sure we'll find out how they're connected later), and haven't continued any of the three previous ones. It makes it hard to keep track of all the characters. I'm sure the next parts will return to the other stories, and explain how all five plots are connected, but at the moment it just feels a bit disconnected and hard to follow.

The other thing I want to mention (similar to the previous part), is not being too matter of fact.

Karim Khan is particularly careful about the supply since it’s the only thing that comes from the outside into the campus. First, he washes his own hands before touching anything in the supply. Second, he takes the all the supply from the ground floor to his apartment in the second floor by himself and doesn’t let anybody come anywhere close. Third, he takes the supply to the kitchen, drops it all on a massive black bowl filled with Soap Water. Fourth, after exactly five minutes, he takes everything out of the bowl and washes it all with water. Only after that does he allow his maid to touch the supply. The maid, Rahima, discouraged Karim Khan to wash the supplies with Soap Water since it could make the food smell like detergent. Kamrul Khan didn’t listen to her, and it turned out he was right; the food hasn’t smelled at all so far.

There are a couple parts where it feels like an information dump, though not as many as part one.
Also, a minor grammar detail -
Second, he takes the all the supply from the ground floor to his apartment in the second floor by himself and doesn’t let anybody come anywhere close.

"The all the supply" should be "all the supplies", and "in" should be "on".

Hand gloves, Karim Khan suddenly remembers. I should’ve used gloves. I have some gloves in the wardrobe. Shit! How did I forget them?

Again, because there's some language, I would recommend rating this 18+, especially since there are f-bombs in the second part.

Again, your dialogue is very realistic and unassuming, how people actually talk:
“It’s too bad we’re not getting any games.”

Shamsul says, “Dude, don’t say that. It fucking hurts.”

“Hurts? It’s killing me!” Mahdi barks. “No games. Man, the one thing that keeps us alive in this shithole is the games. Can’t believe we’re not playing football for five days. Five days, man!”

Shamsul finds nothing to say.

“They took away the one thing we loved so much.”

“You can’t blame the authority, dude,” Shamsul says. “They had to do this. It’s a lockdown, remember?”

“Fuck the authority! Will it kill us if we had games for just forty minutes?”

“If they allow us to do that, it won’t be a lockdown at all.”


Just one more minor grammar thing -
The room that was quiet and soulless not too long comes entirely alive.

I think you mean to say, "... not too long ago"?

Overall, this is another well-written chapter! I'm interested to see how these different stories come together.

I hope this review was helpful, if you have any questions please ask! And again, thank you for requesting this review!

Keep writing!

Whatchamacallit




Tawsif says...


Thank you so much for being so caring and meticulous in the review. I'm grateful.



Tawsif says...


Also, thanks for pointing out the typos. I don't know how missed them!
I'm starting to think it was a fantastic decision to request review from you.



Hijinks says...


You're very welcome! I'm glad my reviews are helpful!



Tawsif says...


They really are.



User avatar
114 Reviews


Points: 6228
Reviews: 114

Donate
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:59 pm
View Likes
Necromancer14 wrote a review...



So, this is part two!

Here's my review:

It's quite interesting, though I don't know exactly what's the point yet. Is there even a main character? There doesn't seem to be, and there doesn't seem to be any antagonist either, other than the virus. I would maybe explain what this is all about better, (besides the obvious, such as that it's about a Covid-19 lock-down in a cadet school.) Other than that, I liked how you're getting everybody's frustration across nicely. Plus, since Covid-19 is actually happening, I'm sure we can all relate. Though, since I'm introverted, I don't mind as much. Plus I'm not into sports.

“Well, we can’t take any chances. I just came home walking at least half a kilo. I’ve walked on roads. I might be carrying the virus under those shoes. Who knows?”


That's actually a pretty likely place.

This is one of those moments when Barna can’t understand his dad. Karim Khan is naturally a very amiable person, but when he gets serious, there’s an air of severity about him that almost frightens Barna.


This was nice and descriptive!

Will that be enough? Soap water?


Soap water is actually the most effective thing for killing viruses that people have found yet. More powerful than any alcohol or cleaner/bleach. Also, this line shows that he is more on the worried side, so good.

the anxiety is always there.


You did a good job getting his anxiety across.

Shamsul wants to counterattack, but he doesn’t find any logic. He’s defeated.


Well, that was a good argument.

Because boredom invites anxiety, and the last thing the school authority would want is the Cadets having some kind of panic attack.


Panic attacks are never good.

Well, that's my review! I hope it was helpful.




Tawsif says...


Thanks for the review. Also, you'll get to know the story better if you read the next parts in the series.
And I hope you'll read the next parts!!



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 700
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:22 am
Xerphrox wrote a review...



Hey Tawsif!

Actually read this yesterday while I was in line for the ATM. The queue was terrible. Then before we enter the building, there's a mat in front of the building that you supposedly have to step on for 30 seconds so your shoes are sanitized. People didn't seem to bother. I merely did it for just 5 seconds. I could imagine Karim Khan being paranoid about this. Hahaha. Onto the review!


STORY 4

This is actually a very funny story, especially with the ending. I've mentioned story 2 and story 3 is lacking in actual plot. I feel story 4, though having the same thing going for it, makes it up for its cleverness. And it's not at all bad, its lack of plot is not at all an issue. This is interesting slice of life with a particularly interesting character. It's fun to discover his quirks come together. I could imagine a Karim Khan existing out there in the real world.

bottle gourd, pumpkin, potato, papaya, ladies’ finger, bitter gourd, pepper, capsicum, carrot and Malabar spinach


I assumed some of these vegetables were translated into English? This is just my opinion, but I'd go ahead and use their Bangal counterparts, especially the ones that are more famous in your native language than if they are translated to English, it'll add a certain texture to your work. Like let's say lady's finger. I think one would use the term more if they haven't heard the word okra, but if you're more used to hearing okra, then by all means, use okra. But that's simply me, and I'm not even sure if I'm assuming correctly. I'm also not sure you use okra for lady's finger.

Soap Water


Why are they capitalized?

He has kept a sanitizer in his car, just beside the gears so it doesn’t escape his eyes.


Doesn't escape his eyes doesn't make sense if a driver needs to always look ahead. Why not place the sanitizer on the dashboard?

The sky was white. The breeze was pleasant. The comfort was deep.


This sparked my imagination very much. The image in my head of a family stuck in their house and going up to the rooftop to enjoy the air is really nice to think about. But I feel that these three lines could have been massively improved to enhance your imagery.

This would just be my opinion, cause I really see the potential. You could bring the windows aspect of the story much nearer in the start of the story so there's greater release of satisfaction when the family goes up the rooftops. You could start the story with Karim Khan going home and as he sees the open windows, gets all anxious about them. This way, right from the very start, we know the aspect of the story about how nervous his kids get, how they want to play out, how Karim wants the windows closed, but how he decides to open them anyway for his kids. This way, when the story goes to its climax with them going up to the rooftop, there is more satisfaction, as it fully circles back and provides a resolution to their conflict. Afterwards, you'd end it with your ever so witty ending about Karim getting anxious at a time he's supposed be having fun and what you have here is a really great story.

Just like that, apprehension takes over his mind again.


A great ending to this little story. But I feel you could have phrased it to sound better. Apprehension seems to be the wrong word rhythmically. Keep the sentence simpler. And you'll have a sharper rhythm to your very witty ending.


STORY 5

I think this was the shortest out of all the stories, huh? This is very similar to story 2 as it is again about cadets and it is about them complaining because of the way things are again. Back then I mentioned about your expositional paragraphs as a possible issue. I think you could have divided all those information between these two stories. For instance, you talked about the Houses in story 2. I feel you could have explained the concept here it instead. Like what if this was another House. This would have given a brighter sense of location for your story.

Shamsul wants to counterattack, but he doesn’t find any logic.


Counterattack and logic sounds off though they are the right words to use. I think you could make this sentence better.

[quote Because boredom invites anxiety, and the last thing the school authority would want is the Cadets having some kind of panic attack [/quote]

This could have been the entire premise of story 5. Well I guess you did show that this was an issue with their dialogue, but I feel you could have written more about the cadets being bored as they were being angry instead in their dialogue. I think you missed an opportunity here to really talk about boredom.


FINAL THOUGHTS:

You seem to have let go of the your military-esque style of narration as you were writing story 4 and story 5. Which is a shame as I was starting to get fond of it. I guess you'd rewrite all the stories so they are tonally congruent if you have the time. Again, thank you for sharing these stories. They've given me an interesting preview of military life amid the pandemic. If you're going to continue writing about these stories, make sure that each story is as interesting as story 1 and 4. As each stories are independent from one another, it would make sense that each story is able to stand on its own. For that to happen, you just need to make sure that every story has enough going for it. Story 3 and story 5 has potential. Story 3 being the unfairness of duties allocation and story 5 being about boredom. But I feel their story structure couldn't support the ideas it had. I get what you're trying to do are rather quick glimpses of conversations, but even dialogue in film or tv is structured. Dialogues too have conflict, climax, and resolution.




Tawsif says...


Thanks for the expert review.
I'll look into everything you told me. But I think you'll enjoy this story in the end if you read all the parts. Just wait for the next parts and probably I'll amaze you!



Xerphrox says...


Oooh i see. I thought it was just part 1 and 2. I assumed it that way since part 2 ended with just stories. Excited to see where part 3 takes the story and characters.



Tawsif says...


I'm excited too.



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 700
Reviews: 6

Donate

User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3050
Reviews: 174

Donate
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:54 pm
JesseWrites wrote a review...



This must be set in another country based on the names. I think that is a brilliant idea and ethnicity should have more recognition. This is my first work from you, so I know your style now.

"The Games" I doubt that games is capital based on the placing. You didn't capitalize it before either.

~S.M.Locke~




Tawsif says...


Thanks for the review, mate.




Once you have people's attention, you have a greater responsibility to tell them something of value.
— Tobias Forge (Ghost B.C.)