z

Young Writers Society



Crawling

by Tamora


this is my final edition of this story, as in this is the one that i've handed in, however, I am willing to edit it from now on as I want to submit it for another competition as well. so please, views are welcome.

________________________________________________________________

I crawled. It was the only action my body allowed. Fear had paralysed me, trying to shut out the stench of horribly burning flesh. I felt harsh concrete cutting into my hands and legs through the thick cloud that surrounded my mind, but it was only a feeling. All my senses were crushed under the terrifying reality that he was gone.

Dead.

I knew that somewhere nearby trees were being blown with the smoke and the grass was turning black from the flames, but they didn’t seem to permeate my brain. The small thoughts that I could sense wouldn’t move further than that simple fact. No true sound, taste or smell; just the clashing, bitter tang of fear.

Dead.

The single word resonated through me again and again, latching onto the few things that would keep me sane and standing.

Dead.

As I crawled through the enclosing chasm I remembered this numb feeling had happened before, but somehow I knew that it had never been quite like this. It was when I had been happy, or at least as happy as I’d ever been. My mind suddenly showed me that moment, and the feeling…

…He crawled. The soft carpet greeted his tender hands and knees. No pain and no hurt were in the action, only freedom. My son’s first movement without my support. I could only look on as he moved away from me, escaping my grip, finding his place in a world that had been so cruel to me. The numb feeling came from my fear of losing him then rather than the fear of knowing I already had. Back then my life had so many difficulties. I was alone in so many senses of the word, but my child had given me something that took it away. I couldn’t lose him.

“He’s the image of his mother,” Jason smiled at us from the doorway.

I grinned back at him, my eyes hesitant to leave my child’s small body, “I know.”

He sighed, and kept standing away from us, “I got a letter, Louise.”

I raised my eyebrow, my small signal for him to continue.

He cleared his throat, “There’s a problem with the adoption.”

I finally tore my eyes from my son, “What do you mean?”

The panic in my voice made him step forward, “Not with him. It’s me. They found out about my time.”

I felt the pain then; a fierce darkness arose around my heart, anger and fear spilled into my nervous system, “But you were acquitted, you were found innocent. How can they do this?”

“They figured there must have been some reason I was charged.”

“Like what?”

“Like the fact that my record was against me,” He just looked at me, “My reputation precedes me everywhere I go, Louise.”

“He needs a father, Jason.”

“I know.”

“And I love you, Jason.”

“I know.”

I stood up, moving to a chair, my focus on the boy shuffling across the apartment floor. Jason sat down beside me, his arm creeping around to encompass my shoulders, a comforting warmth, and I relaxed into his embrace. I had known Jason for so little time, and yet I trusted him almost completely. Even after my experiences, I knew that this was a man that could help, if he was given the chance.

Leaning against him, I gazed lovingly at my son. Jason smiled down at the child as well, but sadness crept into his green eyes.

"I know he isn't yours," I said, "But you will come to love him, I promise."

Jason looked down at me tenderly, "I already do," he gave me a squeeze, "We'll be a family soon, don't worry."

I sighed at his words, we’d had so many problems, "I hope so."

"They can't deny us...

…I was brought harshly back to the present as hands reached around and held me tight, but they weren’t the arms of Jason. When I looked up I saw a smiling face that I couldn’t recognise, a man that had come to be my saviour, but I knew that my saviour was already gone. As they pulled me towards an ambulance, the memory went around in my head.

“We will be a family,” he'd said.

He’d sounded so sure then, but as the years passed and my son crawled away from me, the harsh reality of truth crept into my mind; they could never have let it happen, they knew our pasts too well. And my heart was wrenched in sadness and fear. I had known I could never have left him alone. Not for Jason, not for the whole world. When his father left me broken, a baby on the way and no one there, I was alone. When Jason left, I was alone again, but my son - my son was my support. The government hadn’t helped; no social workers had come to counsel on how to look after a growing boy alone. I could never leave him.

But now he was alone. I had left him, and look what it had done. I knew that he was older now, that he could take care of himself, but I had sworn I would never leave him. And now he was gone.

Dead.

I had relied on him, his own instincts, and then failed him when he needed me. I had promised to always be there for him. I couldn’t forgive myself now, as I half-gaze at the fire and smoke around me. I’d left him alone.

Dead.

When I saw the devouring flames, and felt the savage heat, I’d just known. It was him. No one was there to tell me; I couldn’t recognise the mangled car, I just knew. And I collapsed. My legs gave way, my mind went blank, and I fell.

Dead.

As they move through the wreckage, I know they’ll never find him. He wasn’t there any more. Not really. He was gone, crushed…

…unable to crawl


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 29

Donate
Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:49 am
laura claridge wrote a review...



I thought it was good, but you know that already. umm... feedback is probably the same as in class.. the whole Trigger thing and all that. But another thing,

and the feeling…

…He crawled.

This is a flashback, aye? Maybe you could add a different type of break instead if just the dots, because i'm an idiot and people like me need more obvious flashback... breaky... things.

yeah, anyway, nice job




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 12

Donate
Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:10 pm
unsterblichkeit36 wrote a review...



i have to say that its not the best. I wish you told us where you were and how come they ould never find your son under the debris
were you in a forest?
a house?
a car?
If you had told us why she was crawling and where it would have been so much easier tounderstand




User avatar
280 Reviews


Points: 794
Reviews: 280

Donate
Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:13 am
Nutty wrote a review...



As I crawled through the ever-decreasing chasm

Huh? ever decreasing chasm?
....
what does that mean?

The numb feeling came from my fear of losing him then, rather than the fear of knowing I already had.

Okay, I know you're trying to get the trigger sorted out. But this is a flashback, yes? Hence, in the flashback, she would be unaware she was thinking about "The" numb feeling. Make it "A", no?

and stayed standing away from us,

.... I discussed this. Very awkward.

fear spilled into my nervous system,

...Not a description I see used often. ...Good job on the originality.



…unable to crawl


I still feel as though you're getting something significant and thought provoking and proceeding to beat us around the head with it. Good Idea, but could do with some tweaking, maybe?



Overall, it's better then the other versions I've read. Still edgy about the trigger, and I can't help thinking that baby would have got in more trouble while crawling around, but that's beside the point hehe.

Maybe if you re-use it, fill it out with more discription. It's good for now, but it's still not the clearest picture in the world.

But anyway, good job.




User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 5577
Reviews: 672

Donate
Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:52 am
Squall wrote a review...



As I crawled through the ever-decreasing chasm I remembered this numb feeling had happened before, but somehow I knew that it had never been quite like this.


Decreasing? Hrmm sounds a bit out of place here. Try to find a word that fits better with the sentence.

The numb feeling came from my fear of losing him then, rather than the fear of knowing I already had.


Omit the comma to make it flow better.

Back then my life had so many difficulties, I was alone in so many senses of the word, but my child had given me something that took it away. I couldn’t lose him.


Back then, my life had so many difficulties. I was alone in so many senses of the word, but my child had given me something that took it away. I couldn't lose him.

Btw, what do you mean by "alone in so many senses of the word"? Be more specific.

As they pulled me towards an ambulance, the memory went around in my head,


“We will be a family.”


Grammatically, that is incorrect. You can't use a comma at the end of a line then have it follow through on the next line.

When his father left me broken, a baby on the way and no one there, I was alone. When Jason left, I was alone again, but my son - my son was my support. The government hadn’t helped; no social workers had come to counsel on how to look after a growing boy alone. I had relied on him, his own instincts, and then failed him when he needed me. I had promised to always be there for him. I couldn’t forgive myself now, as I half-gaze at the fire and smoke around me. I’d left him alone.


You might want to try to link this aspect into the story better. It's kinda presented in a info dump sort of way.

Much better this time. Try to take these comments in and make it even better so that your chances of getting excellence are high as.




User avatar
157 Reviews


Points: 3015
Reviews: 157

Donate
Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:34 am
alwaysawriter wrote a review...



I liked it, as I had the first one. I only noticed a few things.

smoke, and
No comma.

smell,
Try a semi-colon.

just freedom
Maybe replace Just with Only?

And now
Don't start sentences with interjections.

to tell me,
Semi-colon.

…unable to crawl
I love that line.

The story is sad but its an improvement from the first. Its an awesome story and I'm sure you'll get a good grade on it. :D

-Always




User avatar
157 Reviews


Points: 3015
Reviews: 157

Donate
Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:04 am
alwaysawriter says...



I liked it. Andy and Clo got everything so I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help. -Always




User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 5577
Reviews: 672

Donate
Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:32 am
Squall wrote a review...



Hello Tamora.

I crawled. Nothing was right anymore, everything had changed in that one moment, and all my body would do now was crawl. The darkness was almost complete, light was trying to reach through, but my mind wouldn't let it. As I crawled through the chasm, my mind thought back to a time when I didn't have this pain, when my body was free...


I think this would have been a more effective if there is sensory descriptions to help reinforce this.

But him-he was something else, a being that thought quickly, and figured things out easily. Maybe it's just a mother's love, but he was my favourite over them all.


I'm not entirely convinced by this. How does the MC believe this? Did he did some sort of comparision between her baby with others? Did he gossip with other parents and bragged about how her baby is crawling already? What actions does the baby do that represent this idea of "crawling"? Examples and specific details will help you make this more convincing.

"You haven’t left him alone since he was born," Jason smiled at us from the doorway, "now that he can move by himself can't you stay with me?"


I grinned back at him, my eyes hesitant to leave my child's small body, "Very funny Jason. You know I could never leave him."


I still don't get why the MC is so protective of the baby.

"I know he isn't yours," I said, "But you will come to love him, I promise."


Jason looks down at me with love in his eyes, "I already do," he gives me a squeeze, "We'll be a family soon, don't worry."


I sighed at his words, "I hope so."


From the dialogue, I can only imagine that there was some sort of conflict between them regarding the baby. What was it? I want to know. You should really figure out how to integrate that with the piece.

"They can't deny us..."


Who is "they"?

As my son moved away from me, exploring the room full of toys, my heart was wrenched with a fierce joy and pride, and I knew I could never leave him alone. Never...


I'm under the impression that the MC has experienced a tragic past and seems quite confined to her home, but there isn't much characterisation to support this (clothing, objects in setting etc etc).

Overall impressions:

I think one of the biggest flaws of the piece is due to the lack of descriptions and characterisation to help support your ideas. We don't really get a good picture of what the MC is or where she is living to help the audience understand her as a character. Consider this: If she is living in a dirty apartment in the city, then it helps show the audience several things. 1. She is not financially well off as people would rent apartments to live in if they lack the money to buy a proper house. People who are normally poor are unable to buy the goods necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle. This explains why she is so protective of the baby, as she could rely on him/her to provide her with the needs necessary to continue living. 2.She was bullied in her childhood and throughout her teenage years. Therefore, she wants someone who will respect her as a person or that would not put her down. A baby helps with that, as they are born neutral and relies on the upbringing of the mother.

Another thing is the lack of specific details. I didn't really see the relevance of the husband. What would had made him more relevant with the narrative is if you try to integrate a time where there was conflict among them that is related with the baby. That could explain as to why she seems more bonded with the baby than the husband.

The concept of the piece is actually quite good and I like the "crawling" metaphor, it just lacks specific details and perspective understanding needed to get an excellence. Right now, I would give this a merit.

I hope this has helped. PM me if you need more help.

Andy.




User avatar
402 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 402

Donate
Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:32 am
Clo wrote a review...



Hey-o Tamora!

The second paragraph is a big change from the first. I think you should a transition between the two, instead of jumping right into that topic. Even something as simple as a space or a dash, followed with a transition sentence.

Though he was only a few months old, I couldn't help but feel as though he was getting away from me

"Getting" is such a plain word. Try dazzling the sentence up with a substitute word here. :D

All the others had taken so long; they hadn't developed so far so fast. But him...

Comma here: "so far, so fast". And get rid of those ellipses, replace them with a dash.

"very funny Jason.

"Very funny, Jason."

Leaning against him, I gaze lovingly at my son

You switch to present tense here. It should be "I gazed" to keep up the past tense you've got going.

"I know he isn't yours," I say,

"I said". Fight the present tense urge! Fight it!

Aw, now this is sad. :( That poor woman. I like this story, and I just have one more thing to point out - you're quite ellipses-happy. There's too many ellipses in this story, and these typically don't look good in abundance.

Well, I can't wait for more. Good luck!





It's easier to come up with new stories than it is to finish the ones you already have. I think every author would feel that way.
— Stephanie Meyer