z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Your mirror of 2016

by TahaT11n


*well, a very big thanks to @RadiantShadow for giving an awesome topic to write about. Now, I have sat to write it and I have to finish it asap. Also, this is for @chhlovebooks, @mialynire and all other members of YWS. also, i am writing it at a fast speed. so this is not probably a good writing.*

Hi, readers-sama. You may not know me and I may not know you either. But I assure you that I am a teenager. The probability of your being a teenager is very high,too. So, we are the same on the measuring table of "being teenagers". That's why, in spite of being unknown, we know a lot about each other. Thus, I know that most of us think that "I am strange/weird" . Yeah, I do that,too. But I don't think that what we think is right. This is why I am about to write this.

Strangeness is a part of personality. Being strange is being human. This is true. No doubt about it. But not all of us think or know that. That's why the word "strange" gives us goosebumps. For a moment, we stare at the usual cloud of the sky and think or just feel it, in stead of chatting with our friends, we start to think we are "strange". And why we think that? Cus our 'dear' friends tell us that it's weird.

There are more examples...

We go to a library and pick a book. Our companion, brother or sister or friend, sees the book and unfortunately it happens to be out of his taste. Without any hesitation, the person standing beside us tells, "Your choice is weird".

Or,

We go to the music shop and choose the favourite CD. Same thing happens again and the same words spoken, "Your choice is strange."

Or,

We go to a party or just in the cafe, canteen or even in the corridor. Friends are talking and we can't really fit in their talking. The same thing buzzing in the head- "You are strange."

Well, some of these happened to me. I know, you may have experienced something like this,too. Or you may not. If you have gone through this, you will definitely think that you are weird. And if you haven't gone through this, you will think that, too. If you don't think this, you are a great person, buddy, cus you believe in yourself.

But at some point, somewhere, you have thought and felt too, that you are strange. Maybe someone very close to you told this. Or, maybe you thought it yourself seeing that you are not so popular, you can't talk with people of your age freely, you feel shy, you can't express yourself well. When something like this happens to you, you see only "yourself" being vulnerable. Don't worry, it's not only you. All teenagers feel that. And even ADULTS. 

Because, THIS IS BEING HUMAN!!!!

I don't know the scientific explanation to this. I could know via Google but I didn't search it. Cus I wanna tell you exactly the things that I FEEL!!!

I am one TahaT11n. You are one whoever you are. You are not the person standing next to you. Even not the one sleeping with you. You are YOU. You are unique. The way you are. You are you not being popular. You are you being shy. You are you not talking much. You are you not expressing yourself much. You are you with a weird music choice. You are you with a strange book choice.

You are best the way you are. Then why do you feel sad and depressed when you see these things happening to you?

Cus you feel sad?

Well, I guess, you already know- feelings are just HORMONES!!

Your letting your hormones of sadness flow. Sounds to me, like it's all in your brain. Then I must do something with your brain.

Do you know that we can convert your emotions?

Well, I don't know what scientists will say. But I think, this is possible. I do this all the time. My sadness is my strength, my inspiration.

But, I am talking about "sadness" here. This thing puts us in a battle way more dangerous than the one with aliens....Still, every cloud has a silver lining. We can win this battle. Even most of you win this everyone. Salute to you.

Yet, pain hurts, sadness hurts, being strange hurts.

Let's see. Someone, or maybe many ones told you that you are strange. Well, it's true you are strange. We all are strange to each other. I love cucumber. This may seem strange to you. But someone may like it. Again, I don't understand or know "love". You may think I am no human being. Again, one may say, " No one knows love."

Well, you say or do something based on your perspective and others do the same. So, how can all think the same? And how can they be right when they say that you are strange?

Actually, the ones who think that you are strange are the ones who are the STRANGEST. Because they don't even realize that strangeness is nothing to point out. It's in everyone. It's being us.

Being strange is actually being normal.

This is true. I don't think I will write more about it. My dad is already getting angry. I should leave the PC. But still I have something to say.

I know, you have heard this from others. And I also know that my writing is the most boring thing that you have ever read. Still, 2016 is coming. It's a new chapter in your life. A new chapter may bring sadness or happiness. Whatever comes, embrace it. We, writers, do terrible things with our characters, too, right? It's alright.

And stop thinking that you are strange. Cus you are not. Think through. Go to a place you love. Be with the things you love. And try to see. DON"T WEAR GLASSES. Not the spectacular glasses. The glasses of your heart that is restricting your view.

Be honest with yourself. Be you. Even if it means not to be popular.

And if you want to change, well, then do it when you "feel" to be different. Not because someone says that you are strange.



Go to the future room. Stand before the mirror of 2016. Imagine yourself the way you wanna be. If you listen to your heart, I know you will see the right reflection. Cus all may lie to others, but hearts don't do this to their owners.

And remember, being strange is being human. You are a human, right? Not an alien, are ya? Then, of coarse, you can look strange on your mirror of 2016.

*I know the writing was tooo bad for you to read. But if you have read, I heartily thank you. I am sorry for such a bad writing. I didn't plan to write it. It was unplanned. Just did it for some awesome dudes I have found here. I can't really hope that you like it. But I just hope that you understand it. Again, thanks and sorry*


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:47 am
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy hereee

Okay, so even though this piece has been removed from the Green Room, I'm still going to review it for you. <3 You deserveee it.

This does feel like it could have been a blog post rather than a literary work, as it fees more like a release of opinion and emotions rather than a constructed essay meant to deliver a message. One thing I do love about this piece, though, is that it was written on the spur of the moment and you did no planning! While that can create a scatter-brained piece sometimes, I thought it brought out quite a bit of your artistic talents and some truly beautiful sentences that might not have been if this hadn't just been a release from your mind to paper. I love this. ^^

First note: You use the word strange too much. Look up synonyms or just use those words less. If you use the same word over and over again, you lose the affect it may have had in the beginning. So, especially in places like this, use that word seldom so you retain the effect. c:

That's why the word "strange" gives us goosebumps


This might be a slight exaggeration of the point you're trying to make here. Always keep things in perspective while writing; your readers can tell when you're stating a fact and exaggerating one.

"Your choice is weird".

Or,


Nope. I know this was basically just you writing whatever that came to mind, but remember to keep a strong format while writing. Odd choices like what you did above stick out in a piece quite a bit, especially as this is still an "essay". It should have the format of one. I love how this came to you, though - just writing whatever comes to mind. Your creativity truly shows throughout this. :)

If you have gone through this, you will definitely think that you are weird. And if you haven't gone through this, you will think that, too.


Is this a case of doomed if you do, doomed if you don't? The second sentence contradicts the first, as you say that they're weird if they've gone through this... but also weird if they haven't? So you're just calling everyone weird, are you? :P I think you need to rewrite this part and make it more clear what you're trying to say. Again, I understand that this was a spur of the moment thing, unedited... and that's amazing <3

THIS IS BEING HUMAN!!!!


Okayyy, now that you've finished shouting at us... xDD A general rule in writing is no capitals at all. The same applies for using bold, as a rule. What you should do if you need emphasis on a certain word or phrase, instead of capitalizing you should simply italicize it. Much neater and is the correct way of doing things. c:

And I also know that my writing is the most boring thing that you have ever read.


Ouch. This is the perfect way to destroy your own writing, which had me intrigued before this sentence. If there's one thing you should never do, it's critique your own writing in the middle of the piece! Not only does it take our attention from the story or message you're sending us, but it also takes us away from the piece to critique what you're writing. We may have not noticed anything before this, but now we're certainly going to be looking at your piece in a different light. Never do this. Allow your reader to be caught inside your story or essay and present them no reason to think anything other than that your piece is wonderful. c:

Then, of coarse,


*course ;)

So what you have here is a wonderful idea: a heartfelt message to people that being strange isn't a bad thing, to chase their dreams, and to look at themselves in the mirror tonight and imagine what they want to be in 2016. Perfect - I love this! <3 Buuuut what you have here is as rough of a draft as you can get with an essay, especially since you wrote this on the spur of the moment, with no planning and written more as a blog post. I actually think you should rewrite this, because the message you're presenting is amazing and I love it. Also, many different sentences and ideas within this piece are inspirational. If you do rewrite this, please tell me? I'd love to review it. c:

By the way, this is my 1000th review. You should feel speciaaaal.
~Darth Timmyjake




TahaT11n says...


Yeahh, I am SPECIAL and LUCKY! Congrats on making it to 1000th. :D And, the review was really very helpful. Thank you very much.



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:57 pm
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there TahaT11n! Niteowl here to review this essay this fine review day.

Overall, I agree with the previous reviewer that this felt more like a blog post. It does discuss a lot of relatable emotions, but it feels extremely informal and I feel like I've read these ideas elsewhere before. The use of slang like "cus" and the all caps and exclamation points didn't really help either.

I think you do start off strong, with all the examples of how someone could be pointed out as strange or weird. Honestly, almost everyone feels this way at times, even adults. For example, last week I had a job interview. I felt okay during the interview itself, but then afterwards I grew anxious, wondering if I'd said something wrong or done something strange with my body language that could cost me the job.

You are best the way you are. Then why do you feel sad and depressed when you see these things happening to you?

Cus you feel sad?

Well, I guess, you already know- feelings are just HORMONES!!

Your letting your hormones of sadness flow. Sounds to me, like it's all in your brain. Then I must do something with your brain.

Do you know that we can convert your emotions?

Well, I don't know what scientists will say. But I think, this is possible. I do this all the time. My sadness is my strength, my inspiration.


As someone who's struggled with depression and mental illness, this is the section I took issue with. "Converting your emotions" might work for run-of-the-mill sadness or "the blues", but when your depression and anxiety get so bad that you can't get out of bed or leave the house and you're struggling with suicidal thoughts, these ideas (often offered by well-meaning loved ones) become extremely dangerous. People with mental illness hear this and feel even more hopeless and reluctant to get proper help.

Going back to the essay, it comes back strong with the idea that being "strange" is actually pretty "normal". This is hardly a new idea, but it can be a powerful realization for those who do feel strange and weird and just want to be normal. Man, if I could have all the time I worried about this kind of stuff back, that would be awesome.

This ends with the idea of tackling the challenges of 2016 and working on yourself. This is a great idea, but I think the transition could be stronger.

Overall, there's some good ideas here, even if this felt more like a casual blog post. Keep writing! :D




TahaT11n says...


Thank you so much for the review! :D :D It's helped me a looot.



User avatar
377 Reviews


Points: 119
Reviews: 377

Donate
Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:32 am
Snazzy wrote a review...



Hi!
First off, I must say I am terribly sorry it took you this long to get one review. It's a horrible thing, really - I would know. But, I'll try to give you a decent one now!

Thus, I know that most of us think that "I am strange/weird"


Saying "strange/weird" out loud is kind of, well, strange/weird. :) I would just write it out as "strange or weird".

Without any hesitation, the person standing beside us tells, "Your choice is weird".


When I was reading this, I found this sentence to be quite awkward. It doesn't make sense for a person to tell "your choice is weird". Rather, someone would say "your choice is weird". Just a little bit on how word choice can really affect the way writing is 'interpreted'.

You are you not being popular. You are you being shy. You are you not talking much. You are you not expressing yourself much. You are you with a weird music choice. You are you with a strange book choice.


Alright. A bigger nitpick here: what if, we are popular? We have a fantastic book taste that everyone likes? We were the first ones to pick up that Piano Guys album (sorry about my complete lack in 'today's music' xP ), and everyone else thought it was 'sweet'? There are those people out there who seem really cool or popular, and actually are, but people think they're 'fake' because they go with the flow - even if "the flow" is what they enjoy. They are them, even if they do have some of the same music or book tastes. Sorry, that was more of a rant than anything, but I just thought I would point that out. Not everyone has a "strange" book choice - some like the popular stuff. (Just a note that none of that applies to me, I have a very strange book choice, and an even stranger music one.)

Anyway, on an ending note, I feel like this was a blog-ish post more than anything. I liked the informal way you wrote. It connected more, I think. I would recommend recollecting your thoughts on this piece, and then writing them all back down (errors not included, of course). If you want to make this an essay, then do the same thing - this time making it more formal. But anyway, overall I really liked this!

"That's why, in spite of being unknown, we know a lot about each other."

Despite something in the back of my head telling me there is something don't like about this sentence, I love it! (see what I did there...?) But yeah - it's a nice sentence, and I wanted to point that out.

Good job and keep writing!

~Snazz Pizzazz
Happy Review Day!




TahaT11n says...


nah, dude. it's not actually sad. cus it is not even worthy of getting a review! this piece is a crap. But, really very much thanks for reviewing it.
Good point! Well, first thing, I myself am very much popular in the place where I am.I just mean,my school and a bit of the local. But, the idea didn't cross my mind cus I was actually writing for one person who was not popular. That's why the popular ones were excluded.
And the thing you did, well, I couldn't get it 100% clearly..gomen for that.
Anyways, thank you soo sooo much for reviewing the "worthless" work.:)



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 2061
Reviews: 54

Donate
Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:35 am
View Likes
chhlovebooks says...



Greetings kohai, thank you for all of the kind words you have written here for all of us YWS users. This is really inspirational, and even if you wrote this quickly, the over all topic is amazingly inspirational! I, like all humans, have at times thought of myself as a strange, but I am glad to know that I am not the only one out there who is considered "odd". Thank you again for these inspirational words, and happy new year to you as well! Sayōnara!




TahaT11n says...


Thanks, senpai.
Is kohai referred to someone who is younger?



chhlovebooks says...


I think it means "prodigy" and sempai is "mentor", but I am not sure. We are technically the same age (I think) and have around the same skill level, so I don't know if me being "sempai" and you being "kohai" is correct if we are equal.



TahaT11n says...


We are equal. But who cares about that? I'll keep on calling you senpai and at some times sensei. And I want you to call me Kohai. It sounds weirdly cool.



chhlovebooks says...


Okay kohai! >w< I really like having a kohai, so I shall definitely continue calling you that!



User avatar
77 Reviews


Points: 58
Reviews: 77

Donate
Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:22 pm
View Likes
RadiantShadow says...



Dear @TahaT11n

you captured things perfectly. You are absolutely right WE ARE HUMAN and yes feeling strange is normal. Sometimes we just have to hear that we are not from a complete strange because we tend to appreciate their opinions more.

Thanks for writing this, I found it useful and I know many others will too.

~RS




TahaT11n says...


Arigato




i exist in a constant state of confusion so its ok
— veeren