Music of the Night

by Tabithalillian

This is a story that shall kinda play out with a phantom of the opera-e feel. Well harsh reviews welcome, my grammer and paragraphing skill suck but it is a rough draft, I just had an urge to write and these are the words I came up with so enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I opened the door as quietly as I could. My mom may as well have been dead when she was asleep, but my dad would be up if I had so much as dropped a playing card in front of his door. I manage to shut the old door with out is squeaking. A miracle.

We had moved in three days ago. Yup that’s right moved right in the middle of no where, Fallston Maryland. There were some pretty thick woods behind our house and it was amazing I had waited this long to sneak out. If I was moving into the middle of nowhere then, I was gonna get to know it. Fall was just starting and I was so used to Florida’s hot temperatures I had my checked sweatshirt pulled around my tiny frame.

I looked up, trees. Actual pine and oak, taller than any other I had seen before. They actually were sorta beautiful. I walked a little more leaves crunched under my black plaid DC shoes and branches slapped my ripped up black skinny leg jeans. A gust of crisp air blew past me and I shivered again, tugging my sweatshirt even tighter.

I was wicked skinny, almost underweight. My boobs were a pretty average size for a 16 year old. I had ashy colored eyes with thin brows, hick lashes and shoulder length auburn curls, my mouth was soft and pink, shaped like an American Girl Doll's and just a tad to small. My eyes just a little big larger than the average gal, making my eyebrows permanently raised up. Giving me a perpetually suprised appearence. My hair curled out crazily and you could say it complimented my the oval shape of my face, but then again it's dark, rich color made my already fair skin take on the term 'pale'. I wasn’t beautiful, or even pretty. Cute was a more appropriate term.

I walked farther in to the woods, it was interesting you didn’t come upon a mini mart at ever turn. Just crimson and gold leaves and a few flowers still holding on though their stems and leaves were brittle and frost coated. The crack of twigs made me jump, I turned around and a small breeze whooshed past my face. But no one was behind me. Again came the sound of cracking twigs.

“I know your there, might as well just come out.” My voice was filled with more courage than I actually felt.

I stood still, not moving. It was most likley just an animal and I was scarring it. Yes, that was the only sensible explination. Who would be in the woods at one AM? I turned around again, scrunching up my nose, a habbit of mine. My heart was hammering in my chest, and I allowed myself a little nervous giggle. Of course no one was out here. I repeated the phrase over and over in my mind. Then I saw him.

He was dead sexy. Well, no, you could not call some one that looked like him sexy. He was handsome. Eighteen hundreds handsome. Long raven black hair fell to his shoulders, twigs and dirt were clumped in it, yet it still managed to seem and shimmer. He was crouched down on the ground like some kind of animal. He was thin, but not a creepy anorexic thin. He had some build to him especially on his chest. No shirt covered this man’s torso so a snowy white chest was showing in the pale moonlight filtering though the trees. His pants looked like they would have once belonged with a tailcoat but now were ripped and stained. His face was sharp and held a sculpted nose. It held two eyes so blue they were nearly white. His mouth was the perfect shape and size and redder than any thing I had ever seen. Those same lips were pulled back over teeth so white they seemed to glow. All were perfect rectangles all accept his canines. They were long and lethal, they belonged on one of those shark tooth necklaces that they sold in tropic gift shops.

I sucked in my breath and took a step backwards as a growl ripped out from between his teeth. But his beauty and primitive nature enthralled me.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:50 am
JC wrote a review...

Tabithalillian wrote:This is a story that shall kinda play out with a phantom of the opera-e feel. Well harsh reviews welcome, my grammer and paragraphing skill suck but it is a rough draft, I just had an urge to write and these are the words I came up with so enjoy.

Okay, let's get this party started then.

Tabithalillian wrote: I opened the door as quietly as I could. My mom may as well have been dead when she was asleep, but my dad would be up if I had so much as dropped a playing card in front of his door. I manage to shut the old door with out is squeaking. A miracle.

First of all, you change tense a lot in this single paragraph. Try to find some consistency in the way you want to write, know if it's going to be in present or past tense, and most importantly- stick to it.

Second: this has to to with the second sentence in the section. It sounds cluttered and hardly makes sense the way it is, you might want to try something different like:

"My mom might as well have been dead when she slept, but my dad was another story. If I so much as dropped a playing card in front of his door he would be awake..." or something like that. Jut try to make the section flow as well as you can. Secondly, this section brought up a question, do her parents sleep in different rooms? If so, why?

Tabithalillian wrote: We had moved in three days ago. Yup that’s right moved right in the middle of no where, Fallston Maryland. There were some pretty thick woods behind our house and it was amazing I had waited this long to sneak out. If I was moving into the middle of nowhere then, I was gonna get to know it. Fall was just starting and I was so used to Florida’s hot temperatures I had my checked sweatshirt pulled around my tiny frame.

Corrections:
Yup, that's right. [punctuation] Moved right in the middle of nowhere [one word].

If I was moving to the middle of nowhere then [no comma] I was going to [sounds better than gonna] get to know it.

Tabithalillian wrote: I looked up, trees.

This reads strangely. It almost stumped me for a minute before I realized what you were saying. This would do better to be said a little more formally, as in, using a full and complete sentence. Right now you have the necessary subject, noun, and verb, but then you add another subject and it gets weird. Go ahead and say something like. "I looked up at the trees..." or "I looked up and saw trees..."

Tabithalillian wrote: I walked a little more leaves crunched under my black plaid DC shoes...

Comma after 'more'.

Tabithalillian wrote: I was wicked skinny, almost underweight. My boobs were a pretty average size for a 16 year old. I had ashy colored eyes with thin brows, hick lashes and shoulder length auburn curls, my mouth was soft and pink, shaped like an American Girl Doll's and just a tad to small. My eyes just a little big larger than the average gal, making my eyebrows permanently raised up. Giving me a perpetually suprised appearence. My hair curled out crazily and you could say it complimented my the oval shape of my face, but then again it's dark, rich color made my already fair skin take on the term 'pale'. I wasn’t beautiful, or even pretty. Cute was a more appropriate term.

This is really unnecessary and just pulls the reader out of the story instead of doing it's job and bringing the reader in. You don't always need to stop somewhere in the beginning of a story and actually describe the character. There are better and more natural ways to do this without disturbing the reader. Just take this part out and save it for later, your story will survive, trust me.

Tabithalillian wrote: I walked farther in to the woods, it was interesting you didn’t come upon a mini mart at ever turn. Just crimson and gold leaves and a few flowers still holding on though their stems and leaves were brittle and frost coated.

It's awkward to read the "it was interesting..." part. You might want to try something more like "It was interesting not seeing a mini mart at every turn; just crimson gold leaves and a few flowers...."

Tabithalillian wrote: I stood still, not moving.

Still means not moving, pick one or the other for this sentence, not both.

Tabithalillian wrote: Who would be in the woods at one AM?

Replace AM with 'in the morning', or just keep it lowercase.

Tabithalillian wrote: Long raven black hair fell to his shoulders, twigs and dirt were clumped in it, yet it still managed to seem and shimmer.

shine and shimmer, is what I imagine you meant.

Tabithalillian wrote: He was crouched down on the ground like some kind of animal. He was thin, but not a creepy anorexic thin. He had some build to him especially on his chest. No shirt covered this man’s torso so a snowy white chest was showing in the pale moonlight filtering though the trees.

Overuse of the word "He", along with slight over description. You could say all of this in a few simple sentences and get the same point across without cluttering the piece with something like:

"He was crouched low to the ground like some kind of animal. His bare chest gleamed in the pale moonlight." See, same point, but leaving out the unnecessary details.

Tabithalillian wrote: His pants looked like they would have once belonged with a tailcoat but now were ripped and stained. His face was sharp and held a sculpted nose. It held two eyes so blue they were nearly white. His mouth was the perfect shape and size and redder than any thing I had ever seen. Those same lips were pulled back over teeth so white they seemed to glow. All were perfect rectangles all accept his canines. They were long and lethal, they belonged on one of those shark tooth necklaces that they sold in tropic gift shops.

Same thing here. I helped you with the last one, so I'll let you unclutter this one yourself. Just take out all the repetition and less than useful descriptions and you're in business.
_____________________________________________________________________
Overall, you seem to be off to a good, if slightly shaky start. For the most part you did fine with all the descriptions and scenes, but there were a few things I feel I should point out to help you make it that much better.

:arrow: Watch the comma use. You're either overusing or missing commas, but in either case it's misuse.

:arrow: Don't forget emotion!!!! This was an emotionless section with a hint of fear. But for the most part you completely ignored the narrator's feelings. What were they going through? Excitement of being in a new place, fear over what she might find? What is she going through?

:arrow: Remember the five sense and use them wisely! All you use so far is partial sight, but what about the other senses? What does she hear or smell? What does the air taste like? What does she touch? There's no sense of adventure so far, no feeling like I might be the character herself. Nothing that pulls the reader in and keeps them there.

:arrow: Find something that makes this a story on it's own, not a story to please an already established group. Color outside the lines with your writing, and it will add to your story.

This is good so far, keep it up!
-JC

ashleylee wrote a review...

Okay, Lillian, you have a good start here. I think you might want to go into more detail at the beginning about why she moved and more of her thoughts on that. Was she sad? Happy? Stuff like that.

I manage to shut the old door with out is squeaking.

Should be “it” instead of “is”

I walked a little more leaves crunched under my black plaid DC shoes and branches slapped my ripped up black skinny leg jeans.

This is an awkward sentence. Try something like: I walked a little more, leaves crunching underneath my black plaid DC shoes while branches slapped my ripped skinny jeans shaded a dark black. Or something like that.

I had ashy colored eyes with thin brows, hick lashes and shoulder length auburn curls, my mouth was soft and pink, shaped like an American Girl Doll's and just a tad to small.

I think you mean “thick” instead of “hick”, right? :lol:

It was most likley just an animal and I was scarring it. Yes, that was the only sensible explination.

Some spelling errors here. Should be “likely” and “explanation”

I turned around again, scrunching up my nose, a habbit of mine.

Should be “habit”

They were long and lethal, they belonged on one of those shark tooth necklaces that they sold in tropic gift shops.

Should be a semicolon instead of a comma after “lethal”. Also, I love your descriptions here. Very realistic! :D

Otherwise, I’m sorry I can’t be more of help. I really have no other complaints.

On to chapter two!

KailaMarie wrote a review...

We had moved in three days ago, yup that’s right moved right in the middle of no where, Fallston Maryland.

i would make this two different sentences. "We moved in three days ago. Yup, that's right..."

There were some pretty dang thick woods behind our house and it was amazing I had waited this long to sneak out.

I would take out the "dang" because it just doesn't read very well. And I would put a comma after house.

They actually were sorta, beautiful.
you don't need the comma after sorta.

branches slapped my rip up black skinny leg jeans.
did you want to say ripped instead of rip?

My boobs were a not fully developed, never mind the fact that I was 16 with breasts like a 13 year old.

this is repetitive. I would only say one half of that sentence.

I was wicked skinny, almost underweight. My boobs were a not fully developed, never mind the fact that I was 16 with breasts like a 13 year old. I had ashy colored eyes with thin brows and thick lashes and shoulder length auburn curls, my mouth was soft and pink, shaped like an American Girl Doll's and just a tad to small. My eyes just a little big larger than the average gal, making my eyebrows permanently raised up. Giving me a perpetually suprised appearence. My hair curled out crazily and you could say it complimented my the oval shape of my face, but then again it's dark, rich color made my already fair skin take on the term 'pale'. I wasn’t beautiful, or even pretty. Cute was a more appropriate term.

this wholw paragraph i dont think you really need. Most people don't go around thinking about what they look like unless they're looking in the mirror or something.

I would take out the "But his beauty and primitive nature enthralled me." part. it doesn't sound as good as if you just left the first sentence as the last line.

characters
Make sure you don't get too cliche with the vampire guy.

the main character could be good, but I didn't really have a good feeling of her personality. Try to think of who she really is. What are her likes, dislikes. what are her little quirks. just try to make her more distinct.

other than that, it was pretty good. a little predictable so far, but if you keep going with it, you could make it origional.

good luck!
-kaila

shadowed_mist wrote a review...

That's cool. What she before me said, you need to make paragraphs. I'm not a big fan of them either, but they make the reader think that the words are easier to read. So its like this: A kid picks up a book and sees that it has no paragraphs but one big clumped up thing. So he screamed in frustration and puts it down. He picks up another book and sees that it has nice, sensible paragraphs. Paragraphs make books easier to read. So WORK ON YOUR PARAGRAPHS!

jasmine12 wrote a review...

Ello, Ello again!
Sha boom sha boom!!!
ahahaha!!! Immature moment there
:smt003

Okay okay Back to topic here. Before I even start, your paragraphs are ginormous!!! haha. Usually a new paragraph is when you change topic. Like in your first paragraph, you start telling the story, then start talking about Florida and what not. Space it out a bit, darlin. Okay, so I said that, I wont say it again haha.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A gust of crisp air blew past me and I shivered again tugging my sweatshirt even tighter.

Comma after again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was wicked skinny, almost underweight. My boobs were a not fully developed, never mind the fact that I was 16 with breasts like a 13 year old.

Is she seriously complaining?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!? GAH! SKINNY PEOPLE THESE DAYS!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had ashy colored eyes with thin brows and thick lashes and shoulder length auburn curls, my mouth was just a tad to small and eyes just a little big larger than the average gal.

Chop this up a bit into different sentences. Tell me, how does her hair compliment her face shape, or does her hair make her look pale and blah blah idk! You get my drift though, right?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“I know your there, may as well just come out.” My voice was filled with more courage than I actually felt.

*gasp/hyperventilation!!!!* Might instead of may, maybe?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I stood still not moving.

Comma after still for dramatic pause.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes that was the sensible explanation.

Yes, that was the only sensible explanation, I told myself
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He was handsome, the perfect man back in the 1800’s
.
Uhm, does that really describe him? Maybe go for this later, when he speaks to her (if he speaks to her) because it would show he was a gentleman, or not? Or you could keep it here, up to you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Long raven black hair fell to his shoulders, twigs and dirt were clumped in it but it still managed to seem and shimmer.

Long, raven black hair fell to his shoulders. Twigs and dirt were tangled in his luscious locks, yet it seemed to shimmer in the moonlight. Meh?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He was crouched down on the ground like some kind of animal but I could tell he was tall.

I wouldn't keep the 'but i could tell he was tall.' there wouldn't be a way to tell. Besides the fact that it's dark, when crouched, you can't estimate how tall a person really is, can you? But if you keep it in, I'd put a comma after animal...dramatic pause and all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He was also thin, but not a creepy anorexic thin, he had some build to him especially on his chest.

I'd take out also and make 'He had some build' it's own sentence.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
His face was sharp and held a sculpted nose, and two eyes so blue they were nearly white.

Make the eyes into a different sentence...different thought different sentence.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I sucked in my breath and took a step backwards as a growl ripped out from between his teeth
.
Gasping...hyperventalating....GAH!!!! WHAT HAPPENS NEXT???????????

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien