A Bloodied Rose part two

by Tabithalillian

Ok before I start I want to thank every one who has given me constructive critisim! it really helps me and this is just my rough draft, I post on here so people can tell me things like "too close to twilight" or "I think you should tweak it a little here. . " and such! So thank you and post away! Please visit my website www.tabithalillian.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Can't I just have a little taste Ella, She really looks and smells like she would be worth just a few drops, or maybe I can get you her sister instead and I'll take her," He said, giving the woman who stood before us a twisted smile. It was then that the spell he had on me broke, we were not alone, we were in a clearing in the woods, and she was right behind us.

Ella!

What was she doing here? Then I saw the resemblance between the two. They were quite clearly related, possibly even brother and sister.

"What are you doing here?" I asked stupidly as I gawked at Ella. Her dress was a dark velvet, so red it was almost black. The neckline plunged down to her stomach, and there was a slit up the side of the skirt. Most immodest. Her fire red hair was tied back with a black ribbon, and she smiled.

Now out of the trance I noticed it all, the icy pale skin, the blood red eyes. The snake fangs, now glittering in the pale moonlight. She was a vampire, a creature of legends. the characters in the stories that Owen told Alice and me, to scare us.

"Well done, Katelyn." Ella applauded, her voice dripping with sarcasm as she seemed to hear my thoughts.

I couldn't put together why a vampire had brought me here. I couldn't put together that vampires were real.

"You may leave, Jackson, I have no further need for you. And you may not have the girl, she is mine." said Ella, is a low dangerously calm voice. She dismissed the boy called Jackson with a wave of her small, pale hand and he was gone as soon as I turned around.

Then it all happened so fast.

When I turned back to Ella she lunged at me. I fell back under the force of her jump, much stronger that I could have imagined for a slender girl about my age. Her fangs came out, sharpening themselves to needle points, and she leaned down. Fangs piercing the skin above my heart. I felt the sticky hotness of my own blood on my chest for only a moment, then Ella sealed her lips over the wound, and my vision blurred around the edges, then all went black.

I awake in a bedroom. The black curtains are pulled and I pull myself off the bed I have been sitting on. For a moment I can not remember who I am or why I am here. Then the memories come flooding back to me, the smell of my blood, Ella and her fangs. her piercing into my skin, the beautiful boy she called Jackson. Everything.

When I turned, Ella was smiling her nasty smile standing in the corner.

"Take a look in the mirror, Katelyn."

So I did. The girl in the mirror was shorted than I had been. curvier and thinner too. She had large gold eyes with flecks of red in them, dead white skin, delicate white lips and china doll features. She was all too perfect, and graceful. But when the girl opened her mouth to smile, two long fangs emerged with the perfect teeth.

It was me.

Ella had made me one of her kind. And I was filled with a brutal rage. "Why me?" I asked in a smooth velvety voice that was not my own.

"Why not you?" Ella retorted. "If I really hated anyone in the village it would be you. You and your brat of a sister told every one I was a witch, a demon, a creation of the devil. And they almost believed you... even though you were right."

She smiled again, a nasty sick smile that let her twin fangs come into view. And then I lunged, not thinking what I was doing, and with all the strength that a new fledgling has I was on top of Ella in seconds. I felt my fangs pierce her snowy white skin and I drank. Her blood was ice cold and coated my throat in a taste of immortality. I enjoyed it more than I would have liked to and I continued to drink the fluid that bubbled up into my mouth though it tasted like drinking ice.

But all too soon I was pushed away. I felt my head slam against the wall and then heard a crack. Whether it was my skull or the wall, it didn't matter. Ella rose up from the ground, a thick silver fluid dripped from the wounds I had made in the sides of her neck. She looked infuriated.

"You should not have done that," she snarled. "But now you may be some use to me...so I shall not kill you, yet. But this is to remind you that I am and always will have claim on you and your kin."

She advanced on me with a copper blade drawn. She cut my skin open from the corner of my eye to my jaw bone. The metal burned my flesh and I shrieked and writhed in pain. Ella left me there on the ground, the emerald liquid that was my blood dripped down steadily from my face, at the time I was in blinding pain and could not tell the difference from my blood or Ella's.

But there was a significant difference.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:11 am
RowanHowler wrote a review...

Comments-

I like that you have a more complex set of properties for the vampire blood. hat some is green and some silver is interesting and makes me wonder what the difference really is. It would be odd to see green blood, you could play that up. I didn't think this chapter was like twilight much at all, though maybe a bit like Amelia Atwater Rhodes' "in the forest of the night", some similarities are inevitable and it wasn't strong enough to worry about much I'm interested to se where you take this, but I think you really need to characterize your MC more with actions, thoughts, and dialogue. As is, she seems very boring in and of herself, though her situation is interesting. I think you should add a chapter in the beginning about her accusing Ella of being a witch and the trial. It would give the entire ordeal more tension. Just make sure you expand and describe more and I think you'll be fine. Good work.

Suggestions-

"Can't I just have a little taste Ella,- "Can't I just have a little taste, Ella?

The neckline plunged down to her stomach, and there was a slit up the side of the skirt. - this would be waaaaay immodest for the time you are describing. I'd expect more of a reaction from your MC.

She was a vampire, a creature of legends. the characters in the stories that Owen told Alice and me, to scare us.- this seems like quite a leap. I'd expect more confusion, more fear, or more of a build up. If I saw something like this I'd figure it was a cult with fake teeth.

I couldn't put together that vampires were real.- it seems like she already did.

You may leave, Jackson, I have no further need for you. - You may leave, Jackson. I have no further need of you.

How did she bite her chest, doesn't she have a dress on?

don't switch tenses. the second part should remain in past tense.

How did she get shorter, lol?

But now you may be some use to me...so I shall not kill you, yet. - this confused me. Why would she be of use now.

ashleylee wrote a review...

All right, Lillian. (is that okay if I call you that?). This was another really good chapter. I felt you kind of skipped over some major parts however. How does Katelyn feel? Does she fear Ella? Does she loathe her? Does she powerful? Weak? Is she disgusted with herself, of what she has become? Or does she relish the new her? You have to answer these questions, giving us an insight in who Katelyn really is. Try to experiment with that. :wink:

This was in the last chapter, wasn’t it? You don’t have to repeat things. Just start off right where you ended. You don’t have to repeat to help the reader. They know, believe me :wink:

The girl in the mirror was shorted than I had been. curvier and thinner too.

I would combine these two sentences like this: The girl in the mirror was shorter than I had been with surprising curves. Either pick thinner or curvier. Having them both together doesn’t make sense. Also, have Katelyn wonder why she is different. Why is she shorter? Why does that happen? Have her question these. It will make her more three-dimensional.

Other than that, I really didn’t see anything else wrong with this.

On to part three!

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:23 am
Tabithalillian says...

thank you for heavy nit-pickers! Thank you so much, I edited part three but it is early and I would only screw it up more so I shall edit it tonight! Thank you again!

Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:38 am
jasmine12 wrote a review...

SOOOO I noticed you posted part three and I was like OMG OMG OMG...then I realized that uhm I hadn't read part two yet....So I'm going to read it, I might review it, but it might suck because, well, I want to read!!! Haha But I will try. Here I go!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I already told you how to change this up a bit. It does sound a bit choppy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now out of the trance I noticed it all, the icy pale skin, the blood red eyes. The snake fangs, now glittering in the pale moonlight. She was a vampire, a creature of legends. the characters in the stories that Owen told
Alice and me,
to scare us.

The sentences are kinda combobled here. First after trance put a comma. After all put a period and then start the sentence the "The icy pale skin" and don't stop until after the snake fangs. Capitalize The
and it should be 'Alice and I'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I couldn't put together that vampires were real.

You might want to try 'Vampires were even real.' to make it seem more dramatic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You may leave, Jackson, I have no further need for you. And you may not have the girl, she is mine." said Ella, is a low dangerously calm voice.

I don't know about you, but I don't really find 'Jackson' a sexy name. If your set with it, then that's fine. But if you're set with it then go for it. I would rearrange what Ella says, having her snap at him for asking to have the girl then dismiss him. Also, comma after mine and end the sentence after Ella. Make the next part a sentence by itself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then it all happened so fast.

Comma after then for dramatic-y-ness :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Try something like, I turned to Ella's tall statue like figure, smiling her nasty smile. Or something along those lines.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But when the girl opened her mouth to smile, two long fangs emerged with the perfect teeth.

Awesome sentence, but don't start with a conjunction.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And I was filled with a brutal rage.

Hey, look! It's those conjunctions again!!! haha. Nice sentence.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Her blood was ice cold and coated my throat in a taste of immortality. I enjoyed it more than I would have liked to and I continued to drink the fluid that bubbled up into my mouth though it tasted like drinking ice.

OooooOooo! This is goooood! I never would have thought to make blood cold. Duh! haha.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple of things that I didn't mention:
You didn't go into much detail about when she was bitten. She didn't shriek in terror? She didn't cry out for help?
And when she awoke, the sentences are kinda all combobled again but I didn't want to correct them and seem like I'm nagging. Haha!

This was good. If I'm being to nit-picky just tell me and I'll lighten up...Well on to the next part :D

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and the shadows will fall beyond you.
— Walt Whitman