Night - TSun

by TSun

***i struggled at which section this would belong to, but decided it told a story more than being a song

Night
TSun

TSun
(Verse 1)
Tired, i quickly crossed the red lights,
it was ten fifty three, young was the night,
i grabbed my mp3, tuned myself to a peaceful song,
i sat myself down at the train station bench,
thick was that night's mist, like cigar ashes that've been flung,
dark was that night, the sparrows had already finished their song,
a light flickered in the distance,
no signs of life, that path was too long,
i questioned the arrival of the train,
has tonight's service not been prolonged?
just then, a shrill scream in the far abyss
alarmed, i snapped off my earphones and
listened to see if the scream persists
abruptly, a set of footsteps broke through the dark,
a young lady rushed into view, out of breath
what escape had she just embarked?
she sped past me, and i followed,
just to catch her by the shoulder, she turned
slowly, her face was of horror and her eyes widened,
she was terror striken, and she bellowed
staring past me, the words "GO AWAY",
carved into my memory even till this day,
cas when i turned to see what was behind...

(Chorus)
Night, if it catches you by the hand,
rip away before it swallows you, there is no end,
it will find you and isolate you,
corrupt you and tear you apart, how can you defend?

TSun
(Verse 2)
Enraged, i stumble to the bus stop,
working late was never my liking,
if some drunk idiot forgot his shift, why must i top?
took a look at my watch, already twenty past one,
i swore, waiting for the bus was the least fun,
tonight's mist was must've weighed a ton,
nothin' but a streetlight that shone above me,
the darkest hour of the night had only begun,
then a rumble of wheels penetrated the mist,
the long awaited bus broke through the abyss,
as i walked up to pay for my fare,
a cold silence rung through the bus,
perhaps it was a new one i thought,
that didnt creak under the mounds of rust,
as i sat down and grabbed yesterday's news,
no one else was present, and soon i began to lose trust,
soon after we departed, the lights began to dim,
a sudden weight seemed to have grasped the bus' rims,
and the lights blanked out, the driver called for help,
he talked on the receiver with assistance on the other end,
i began to panic but tried not to show it, thus i pretend,
all of a sudden, the driver fell off his seat,
knocked out by a force that i could not see,
and a voice came through the receiver,
"La nuit dure aujourd'hui"... (today, the night is long...)

(Chorus)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:16 pm
Mars wrote a review...

Hello TSun! I'll begin to really review your piece in a mo, but I do have to agree that grammar is important. I know, I know, I hate being bothered by that stuff too, but it does affect your piece. And, we are writers, right? So I think the capitalization issue should be cleared up.

Phew! That's out of the way. Let's begin.

First of all, since this is a song, I don't know if you had a tune in mind? I can't really think of one (and I'm no musician) so I'll just review this like a poem. So if any of my comments about flow and such don't fit with your tune, they wouldn't be applicable.

I like that you associated the night with cigar ashes. It makes the poem (song) more real, I think. It's a good image. However, when I read the line again, I'm not sure what you meant. You're comparing thickness of mist to ashes, and ashes are not thick; they are very fine particles. So, while it's pretty, it's not a good analogy.

I think this line would be better if you got rid of the negative. It seems to me that the line is saying, "The train isn't late?" instead of "The train is late?" and it makes it seem like the train is always late. And, if that's what you were going for, I think it could be worded better. Easily fixable. The other issue is teeny, but I feel I should mention it: has should be [/i]had[/i] since the rest of the piece is past tense.

I think this tense-mix up happens other times too, like persists should be persisted, so try and keep an eye out for that.

I don't...like this. I like what came just before, eg, the new bus and the silence, I think that was really nice. And, I think I know what you're saying-the narrator began to believe that something weird was going on? But it needs to be clearer. I don't know how this would work with your tune, but I would consider adding another line something to the effect of that all was not well. Just so we know. (Of course, what I wrote wouldn't fit, but something that would convey that).

I love the ending. I'm not sure why it's French, but it works, so well done, you!

And well done you for the whole thing as well. I love this concept of an unseen force of Night; it really makes the poem (song) seem mysterious and scary. Very original, and fairly well done, though there is definitely some room for improvement. I wonder if you've thought about a bridge or a third verse? If so I'd like to see this continued...anyway, overall, good job. I hope you'll consider my suggestions.

-Mars

TSun says...

quietloud798 wrote:For starters, I really, REALLY love this peice
It takes everyday things that we all have to deal with and puts it all into context
Personally, I love the deepness of it all
Your writing is really raw, and it's amazing the emotion it can convey
My only problem is at the end when you use that phrase
If it was put into a song, I don't think it would work
But as I said before, I love it
You have a great voice and I can't wait to read more from you

thanks for your comment =)

quietloud798 wrote a review...

For starters, I really, REALLY love this peice
But as I said before, I love it

TSun says...

random.thoughts wrote:Hello, before I begin there is just something I have to get off my chest. I have a little pet-peeve about people not capitalizing the letter “I” and you seem to have not throughout the entire passage. Was there a symbolic meaning to it? Or just not thinking about it? I’m not speaking for others here, but I know it at least gives me a negative impression right off the back, like you didn’t spend enough time revising or something to change it.

I really love the first verse, the only thing I would suggest would be one word, in the last line from “cas” to “and”

Overall, I really love it! I think you did a great job with the entire thing, and the word choice was fantastic! The mixture of sentences, adding question and commas to parts worked quite well!

haha well sorry i got on to ur pet peeve, im more of a lyricalist, so i dont fuss so much about little things like "I", perhaps it may leave a negative image to you, but seriously, isnt the main message more important?

and thanks for the compliment!

random.thoughts wrote a review...

Hello, before I begin there is just something I have to get off my chest. I have a little pet-peeve about people not capitalizing the letter “I” and you seem to have not throughout the entire passage. Was there a symbolic meaning to it? Or just not thinking about it? I’m not speaking for others here, but I know it at least gives me a negative impression right off the back, like you didn’t spend enough time revising or something to change it.

You know what the big problem is in telling fantasy and reality apart? They're both ridiculous.
— The 12th Doctor