z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

Defying Fate- Chapter 2

by TNCowgirl


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Okay, so I'm really not sure how many chapters you can post a day etiquette wise. I have finished this story, but I'm going back through and editing it. So any critique good or bad helps. Again please don't sugar coat it. I'm going to post this up then go back on my document and try and catch everything else. I tried reading through this for any of the same mistakes, though I may have failed epicly at it. :D Hopefully this will tag properly for @ChocolateCello and @artybirdy . 

Pain was all Piper’s mind could register when she woke up. Pain searing through her right shoulder where the claws of the mountain lion had mauled her arm. She tried to push her eyes open as she fought to push the pain aside. Pain was nothing new to her, it was something she could handle. She just needed to convince her mind that it wasn’t as big of a deal as it thought it was and after a short while it would heal over.

She opened her eyes and found herself staring up at an unfamiliar ceiling. It looked like one of those ceilings out of a fancy cabin up in the woods that people would rent for a weekend. It was made out of real woods, almost like someone had just walked out to the woods and cut the wood themselves to make the ceiling.

I’m alive? She thought as she felt the pain in her shoulder start to dull. How am I alive?

“Well, looks like our guest is awake.” A deep voice said from her left. She quickly whipped her head around to see who had talked. It was a guy that looked about a year or two older than her. He had short brown hair and the brightest blue eyes she had ever seen. His shoulders looked twice as wide as hers and his shirt seemed to strain to fit on him.

She felt her heart rate pick up as she tried move away from the stranger. Her head started to feel light and she stopped moving trying to steady her breathing. She watched as concern and confusion crossed over the strangers face.

“I wouldn’t suggest you try and move.” Another voice said from behind the first man. She glanced behind blue eyes and saw an older looking gentlemen with a kind looking face. “How are you feeling?”

Piper wasn’t sure if she should reply. She glanced around the room trying to figure out a way of escape, or even a clue as to where she was. The room looked like it was straight out of an ad for a log cabin. Everything look hand crafted and well cared for. There was only one window in the room and one doorway. She wasn’t going to be escaping with the two men in the room.

“Sore.” She replied her voice hoarse and scratchy sounding. She tried to push herself up to a sitting position and accidentally putting too much weight on her right arm in the process. Pain surged through her body and she sank back down on the bed tears threatening to push from her eyes.

“I’d imagine so, that cougar sure did a number on you. Course from the carcass, I’d say you returned the favor. It would’ve died from that stab wound you gave it.” The old man said as he studied her face a little. She avoided eye contact with him as she glanced around the room again.

“What about the wolf?” She asked curiosity getting the better of her. The wolf had saved her life, she wanted to know what had happened to it. She glanced towards the two men to just barely catch them exchange a glance she couldn’t read. Blue eyes was about to say something when the door to the room opened and an older lady walked in carrying a tray, that from the smell, held a bowl containing the most heavenly smelling soup she had ever smelled.

“Look who is up.” The lady smiled as she carried the tray over and set it on the table that was beside the bed. Piper glanced at the tray and then the open door. She didn’t know what laid on the other side of it even if she was able to get up and take off. “How are you feeling, sweetheart?”

“Fine.” Piper replied as she glanced back at the two men who didn’t look ready to give up any information about the wolf that had saved her. She tried to replay the last few seconds of what had happened before she passed out, but her mind wouldn’t give her that.

“I’m sure you are hurting pretty bad, I’ve got some pain pills here if you would like one. The doctor looked at your arm and said it will heal just fine, you just can’t use it for a little while.” The older lady smiled apologetically down at her. She glanced over at blue eyes and the older man her face getting serious. “You two should’ve hollered the second she woke up, poor thing must be in a world of pain.”

“She just woke up, Darlin’, I was about to come and get you.” The older man smiled at her as he walked over and kissed her temple.

“Uh-huh, I’m sure you were.” The lady laughed shaking her head a little. She turned her gaze back to Piper with a smile on her face. “Men, I swear are so absent minded sometimes around a pretty woman.”

Piper felt her cheeks warm as she glanced away from the lady unsure as to what to say. She didn’t know if it was just a sweet comment or if there was malice behind it. But in Piper’s experience nothing was ever just good. There was always some hidden motive or distaste. She glanced over at the bowl and saw what looked like chicken noodle soup, her stomach let out an uncanny growl and she felt her cheeks start to burn even more.

“Oh my, you must be starving.” The older woman blushed a little as she grabbed the tray of food. “Cedar, help the poor girl sit up.”

Piper swallowed hard as blue eyes, Cedar the lady had called him, stood up and gave her a questioning look. Piper tried in vein to sit herself up and ultimately had to allow the giant of a man help her to a sitting position. She didn’t feel the normal feeling of fear roll over her like when Jeremy was near her, but she still wasn’t comfortable with the strange male being so close.

He seemed to pick up on her feelings and only stayed close to her long enough to help her to a sitting position. Once she was sitting Cedar sat back in the chair next to her and the older lady set the tray down on her lap. Piper’s stomach growled again and she wished she could hide beneath the covers.

“How long was I asleep?” Piper asked as she slowly picked up the glass of water and took a slow sip. She felt the liquid slowly ease past her parched lips and into her dry mouth.

“Cedar found you last night, so I would say about twelve hours or so.” The older lady smiled. “Now, is there anyone we can call for you?”

No!” Piper said a little more firmly than she had planned. “No, there is no one to call.”

“Alrighty then, how about you eat your fill and then get some more sleep. Rest is the thing your body needs the most right now.” The lady nodded. “If you don’t mind, I’m going to steal my husband for a few minutes. Cedar can get you anything you need.”

The older lady steered her husband out the door closing it gently behind them. Piper glanced nervously at Cedar who was still sitting in the chair next to the bed she was on. She glanced back around the room quickly, at least now there was only one person in the room to get passed, albeit a very large person. She glanced down at the food and felt her stomach rumble a little. She hadn’t eaten in a while so staying to eat wouldn’t hurt.

“Clem can be a little forgetful sometimes.” Cedar said from beside her. She glanced over at him and saw a gentle smile on his face. It was a sweet looking smile that made Piper want to smile back, though she fought the urge to do so. “Alon was the older gentlemen and I haven’t been officially introduced. I’m Cedar. You should really try that soup, Clem makes the best soup anywhere around. Heck, she’s the best cook in general.”

“You didn’t answer me earlier. What happened to the wolf that killed the mountain lion?” Piper asked as she held his gaze. She saw something flicker across his face again and then shift in his seat just slightly. The chair groaning a little under his weight as he shifted.

“It’s fine.” Was all he said as he looked at the bowl of soup on her tray. “You really should try that soup.”

Piper looked down at the bowl of soup and carefully used her left hand to scoop up some of the liquid with the spoon. It wasn’t an easy task since she wasn’t used to using her left hand to eat. But she somehow managed to get the spoon from the bowl to her mouth without spilling a drop. He hadn’t been kidding when he said that Clem was a good cook. The soup was the best that she had ever had. Something about it made her feel comfortable, which was something she wasn’t used to feeling.

“What’s your name?” Cedar asked leaning forward a little in his seat as she lifted another spoonful to her mouth. Piper hesitated for a split second before looking down at the bowl in front of her. She wasn’t sure she wanted to tell him her name. What if he knew Jeremy or her father and would lead them to her. Cedar had been nothing but nice to her, the least she could do was tell him her name.

“Piper.” She pushed out as she studied the soup on her lap. Her mind slipped back to everything that had happened during the past couple of days.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Piper, I have to tell you something.” Jeremy said pulling Piper’s attention from trying to pick out a movie for their weekly movie night. She partially liked their routine, even if she hated being around him. Maybe if she had gotten to pick him instead of being forced to date him she wouldn’t mind it so much. At least he didn’t expect anything from her, for the time being at least.

Piper glanced up at him as she held the case to a new action movie he had gotten. She had been taking her time to pick out the movie so that she didn’t have to sit on the couch next to him for just a little while longer. He had a very serious look on his face as he motioned towards the couch with his hand. She swallowed hard holding the dvd case a little harder as she slowly stood up and sat down on the couch.

“To start, we are going to go out to eat tonight instead of tomorrow night, so don’t worry about the movie we’ll watch it later.” Jeremy said as he moved to where he was standing right in front of her. Piper felt her eyebrows furrow a little. They never changed their routine.

“O-okay.” She said as she scooted back a little on the couch to move away from him, even if it was just a few inches. “What’s up?”

“I’m a shape shifter.” He said his face completely serious. She couldn’t help the laugh that came out of her mouth. She quickly covered her mouth with her hand trying to stifle it. “I’m not joking, Piper.”

Piper managed to stop her laughing as she looked up at him again. His face was still completely serious, that wasn’t possible though. Shape shifters didn’t exist, they were just a fictional species made up to get people to read books or watch more movies. She was about to tell him he was crazy when he stepped away from her a little.

One second Jeremy was standing there in front of her, the next a giant grizzly bear was there on it’s hind legs. She screamed as she jumped over the back of the couch and scrambled backwards until her back hit the wall. He shifted back to his human form a smirk on his face as he walked towards her. Piper fought to get her breathing under control as she moved away from him. The smirk left his face replaced by a scowl.

“Don’t run from me!” Jeremy hissed grabbing her wrist and yanking her towards him. Piper tensed up as she kept her eyes on his fingers that were wrapped around her wrist tight enough that she knew there would be a bruise.

“I-I’m sorry!” She whimpered as she tried to pull her wrist away from his grasp. She didn’t know why she thought it would work, it never had before. Jeremy pulled her wrist up and kissed the back of her hand pulling her eyes to him.

“Good girl, now there is a fancy dress in the guest room you should go change into.” He said glancing at her wrist before he finally released it and cupped her cheek. “You always were good at listening when given a little incentive.”

Piper fought to keep from pulling away from his touch. She felt him pat her cheek softly and then his put his hand on the back of her neck and pulled her head forward so he could kiss her forehead. She didn’t know why he refused to kiss her on the lips, not that she wanted him to. But her whole life keeping her purity until she married had been ground into her, even kissing was forbidden.

“Now, go get dressed, we have a big night ahead of us.” Jeremy smiled down at her the glint in his eyes making her want to turn and runaway. To be able to digest everything she had just seen. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 3819
Reviews: 93

Donate
Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:42 pm
Lefty wrote a review...



Hey, there! Lefty here to review chapter 2!

I like how you're slowly releasing more information into her life and how you go back and forth from the "present" so to speak, and her remembering her past. Lots of interesting information was introduced in this chapter which gives us even more insight into Piper and her life.

The people in the cabin are intriguing. With the way the wolf attacked the mountain lion and the way they would act strange when she asked about it, it makes me wonder if they are shapeshifters just like Jeremy! I like how you're giving us little hints without coming right out and saying it, which makes the reader curious and intrigued. It's also fun to put the pieces together as you offer them. I don't see this done super often and it can be a difficult thing to do, so great job on that!

Onto some nitpicks...

It was made out of real woods, almost like someone had just walked out to the woods and cut the wood themselves to make the ceiling.

This is fine, but I noticed that the word "wood" is used three times in this sentence. You might be able to switch one or two of them out to make it less repetitive. Like, instead of wood you could say log or board, and instead of woods you could say forest.

Sometimes when you're describing how she feels, you actually use the word "felt", which is fine but not always necessary. For instance:
She thought as she felt the pain in her shoulder start to dull.

Could be: She thought as the pain in her shoulder started to dull.
or
She felt her heart rate pick up as she tried move away from the stranger.

Could be: Her heart rate picked up as she tried to move away from the stranger.

When you call Cedar "blue eyes" before she knows his name, it should be capitalized because it's the name she has given him: Blue Eyes.

Lastly, the end part with Jeremy was really interesting, but it also felt a little odd. Kind of out-of-the-blue and a little rushed. Maybe you could have him start to explain some stuff to her about shapeshifting, then when she still doesn't believe him, he could shape shift. Maybe instead of just shifting, then shifting back, he could walk up to her as a bear on all fours, cornering her, then shape shift back to give him more to do instead of him being a bear one second and a man the next. Just a few thoughts.

And that's about it for the nitpicks! I think you have a good start going and I'm really curious to learn more about the world they live in. What roll do shape shifters play in society. What kind of clan is Jeremy and her father a part of. Are the people in the woods shapeshifters. Are there good ones and bad ones. Is Piper a shapeshifter and doesn't know it. The possibilities are endless at this point which is exciting! Who knows what will happen next!

I will keep an eye out for chapter 3! Keep up the great work and have a wonderful day!

-Lefty




TNCowgirl says...


Now I feel bad because the next chapter it is all kind of exposed rather quickly which makes me almost want to completely rewrite it so it's slower. But then I feel it may be way too long. Course I'll probably end up taking parts out. Hmmmm, gotta think on that.

Thanks again for the review. I'll go through and catch as much of it I can. Though Jeremy left parts out because he doesn't exactly wanting her to understand it all just yet. He isn't really all that thoughtful.



User avatar
97 Reviews


Points: 114
Reviews: 97

Donate
Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:29 pm
acm wrote a review...



Great chapter! I'm really enjoying the story, especially with the flashbacks at the end. It almost feels more is falling into place each chapter. Just a few fixes:

1.

Pain surged through her body and she sank back down on the bed tears threatening to push from her eyes.

Here, you just missed a few commas. I think it would read better like this: "Pain surged through her body, and she sank back down on the bed, tears threatening to push from her eyes."

2.
“Men, I swear are so absent minded sometimes around a pretty woman.”

I think that this sentence needs another comma after the "I swear". The "I swear" is being inserted, and the sentence without it would still be a proper sentence, so it needs a comma. With it, the sentence would read, "Men, I swear, are so absent minded sometimes around a pretty woman."

3.
Jeremy smiled down at her the glint in his eyes making her want to turn and runaway. To be able to digest everything she had just seen.

I had a few things I would fix about this. First, runaway should be run away. A runaway is a noun and run away is a verb. Second, I think the two sentences would flow better together if they were combined. Third, I think there needs to be another comma after the part, "Jeremy smiled down at her."

In the end, it would look something like this: "Jeremy smiled down at her, the glint in his eyes making her want to turn and run away-- to be able to digest everything she had just seen."

You don't have to use my changes, so feel free to ignore them. I really thought this was great, and the descriptions were wonderful. Great job!




TNCowgirl says...


Thanks so much for the review it means the world to me. I've gone through on my copy and hopefully can avoid some of the problems in the future, though we'll see. :D Thanks again so very much!



User avatar
177 Reviews


Points: 1093
Reviews: 177

Donate
Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:09 pm
Chaser wrote a review...



I haven't read the first chapter. Sorry.

But anyway, wow! Shape-shifters! Where to begin, well...hm. The emotions throughout the chapter seem logical to the situation, and the flashback definitely flowed in smoothly. Not a lot happens, but that's fine and a nice change of pace compared to the previous (which apparently had something to do with mountain lions.) I can't quite understand why Jeremy switching their date plans mattered so much, but that might just be something I missed.

Beginning with style, while it isn't the top priority, I feel like it's missing the proper word choice. A few powerful words can reinforce a story, its conflicts, and its environment. "Dark" could be "abyssal," pain could be agony; these words can revitalize the action and keep the reader reading, sucking them into the scene and story. Alternatively, a few literary devices could also suffice. Similes and metaphors are suggested.

As for the characters, Piper seems like a relatable protagonist, understandably freaked out by the circumstances. Of course, it'll be fun to see her develop into a person who supposedly "defies fate." As for the others, they seem mysterious enough to be interesting, and allow us to share Piper's distrust. Putting the audience into the main character's position like that is a clever feat.

Overall, it's a nice plot with some excellent characters, hampered a bit by a slightly drab style. All in all, a decent read. Cheers!


-Chaser




TNCowgirl says...


Thank you so very much for the review. So you said drab style at the end. I take it that if I was to work maybe using the more powerful words it wouldn't be so drab? I'm just trying to figure out how to fix that. This is the first time someone has critiqued my writing style and I'm very glad you did. It gives me something to help make this better, hopefully.

Again, thank you so much for reading and reviewing this chapter!



User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 14468
Reviews: 214

Donate
Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:59 pm
artybirdy wrote a review...



Hello, I’m here to review! :)

You can post as many chapters as you like; that’s entirely up to you. I’ve seen that people usually update their books once a week to give their reviewers time to review.

You have used the word “pain” a lot throughout the chapter. It’s repetitive and . . . dull. Instead, you could describe her actions to imply she’s in pain. For example: She groaned as she moved her arm. If you prefer to use synonyms, use thesaurus.com for help. It’s an awesome website!

“Well, looks like our guest is awake.” A deep voice said from her left.

Here, and in a lot of other places, your dialogue was formatted incorrectly. There should be a period/full stop before the closing speech marks as, without it, the sentence is incomplete. I’m not good at explaining, so I’ll refer you to this blog: http://theeditorsblog.net/2010/12/08/pu ... -dialogue/

Pain surged through her body and she sank back down on the bed tears threatening to push from her eyes.

I also noticed the lack of commas; it made some sentences impossible to read. Take a look at the above example. Without the pauses, I don’t understand what you’re trying to say. Try: Pain surged through her body and she sank back down on the bed, tears threatening to escape. I removed “push from her eyes” because I felt it wasn't needed.

Tip: Read your work out loud, and wherever you feel you take a slight break, add a comma there.

“Men, I swear are so absent minded sometimes around a pretty woman.”

It sounds . . . awkward, to say the least. Try: “Men! I swear, they can be absentminded around pretty women.”

In the flashback, though it was great you gave us the necessary details, I felt as if you rushed it a little. You could have taken the time to describe his transformation, e.g. clicking of his bones as they rearranged, fur sprouting, claws lengthening, etc. You didn’t give us enough imagery. Moreover, try to make her fear stand out from that point onwards. I can’t really tell if she’s scared or not. For example, she could struggle to breathe, her heart races, sight blurs, etc. There’s so much you can do!

Overall, another great chapter! I’m interested to see where Piper’s fate takes her. I have a feeling it was Cedar who saved her. Well done, and keep writing!




TNCowgirl says...


So I have to say that website has to be the best thing I've ever read. I know I have always had a problem with dialogue punctuation. Though I was never really able to find a place that explained it so that I was able to fix it. That site actually is the best I've seen. Though that's going to bring up so much editing it's unreal. :D One big thing to help me get one step closer to my goal.

Thank you so very very much! I'm sorry I'm just now getting to this, I've had a lot going on.



User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 1844
Reviews: 110

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:33 pm
TNCowgirl says...



So I don't think it worked in the main part of the document. Let's try here. @ChocolateCello and @artybirdy





A thing of beauty is a joy forever; its loveliness increases...
— John Keats