Home » Literary works » Poetry » Culture

Being Bilingual

by TJJProductionsGirl

A different language isn’t científico

Its magnífico 

It isn’t like literature, you can barely read

It in a book, it is culture

It is life, even though learning it

Takes a bit of strife

It can make dreams come true

Through and through

A few words pass my mouth,

They flow like the wind

It is second nature

I met a family once, Out in the street

Nothing to eat

No place to call their own

There was barely even a home

No roof over their heads

Nothing soft like a bed

Stomachs growling,

A line so long to even take a shower

Who knows,

it might even take an hour

I went up to that family so poor

A mother and her two children, it made me feel sore

A boy so weak, that when he ran

He fell before he got his sandwich bag

He stood up not saying a word

Nothing heard, We handed him a bag,

Without so much as a thank you

He ran to his mother and sister

The mother smiled and waved as we left

“Gracias! Que dios mira sobre ustedes”

The others smiled and turned away

I don’t think they knew what she said

But I did, yes I did indeed which made me smile happily

Some time later after we did our rounds

They were still there,

He still didn’t make a sound

The elder sister and her mother

looked at her little brother

She shook her head, even then

I knew what she had said

I went up to them with a paper bag

“Quieres más?” Out went my hand

The look on the mother's face was shock

We talked and talked

In that language that we both spoke

My sister stalked behind me listening in

When is was time to go I said goodbye and

Gave her best of my hopes and luck

Now I can really say

What happened that day

Was no luck, but fate that had made me able to speak this way

In the end my dream came true

Who knows, next time it might be you.

Radrook says...

I tried to add Romanian to my Spanish and English and started getting a weird accent which people kept asking about so I stopped. But I agree that it can be fascinating.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:16 pm
Mathy wrote a review...

Hola! This is bilingual-but-not-spanish ZeldaIsShiek here to decipher this poem and tell you that I like it but make the sentence really long and insert comedy like this for extra points! Hehe... Now, let's begin!

The first thing I would like to say about your poem is that it is absolutely correct in saying that you can not learn a language simply by learning words or letter, but you have to understand its slang, emphasis, meaning, and its origins. You can not simply "know" English, or "know" Spanish. This is why I will never truly learn Japanese or French without spending 1-2 years there and speaking to others every day.

Another thing I loved about your poem is how you portrayed yourself as being so generous and kind, and how the mother was in shock when she found out that you could speak her language. It truly is a gift to be able to communicate in multiple ways with multiple types of people, but language is a muscle; the less you use, the less you'll have to use. It goes without saying that learning a second, third, or even fourth language is as difficult as climbing a mountain with nothing but a hammer while sitting in a cauldron; it's possible, but it takes a lot of trial, error, and ragequits.

Another thing that I loved about your poem was the ending. I feel like it really allowed the readers to understand that if they learn another language as you have, they too may experience something like you did in this poem.

Regardless of whether the poem is a true story or a fabrication brought about to explain the use of a second language, it truly helped me understand why learning a second language is so useful and inspired me to write this review. That is all for today, and remember to keep writing always! ZeldaIsShiek- OUT!

The story about the mother and her children is actually true. Some friends, my mother and my sister all went out to a place where homeless people lived and we gave out sandwich bags.

Mathy says...

That's great! :3

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:45 pm
AlexNoelle wrote a review...

I will start this off by saying that I'm bad at English despite it being my native tongue, and my reviews do not have to be taken seriously, though I try my best. :)

I really like this poem, you were really creative with the topic you chose and the way that you executed it. I had a little trouble with the rhythm in several places, but still, you did better than I could have done.
There were a couple of grammatical errors, for example; the line "The look on the mother's face WAS IN shock." should be "The look on the mother's face WAS shock," there weren't a ton of those errors though, only a couple.

I thought this was really clever overall, though the rhymes didn't quite match up sometimes and I got a little confused with the rhythm, I really liked it. You should definitely keep writing and I can't wait to see more from you. I hope this review was helpful and you didn't take offense.
- Anne

No offense taken and thank you for telling me about that I will see what I can do.

My culinary streak is in everything that I write.
— LadyBird