z

Young Writers Society



Enchantment

by TJEvans


It has been to my consternation that for the last year or so the internet has soaked up the time I usually give to reading. While it has taught me a lot, I do not relish relinquishing my close and personal contact with literature.

Enchantment really revitalized this, to an extent. It's difficult not to adore Orson Scott Card, but this is one book which brought me back to the all-too-familiar sleepless nights spent reading. People ask me, don't you fall asleep or get bored reading?

No! If you love reading, and the author is a good one, a book can keep you as mentally awake as physical activity at that time of night. Admittedly, my latest volumes have been stuff on

Thomism, Christianity, philosophy, and other such things. I like it, but even I have to admit, fascinating though it may be, it's not exciting literature.

Enchantment brought me back to this point. I'm very thankful to Card for once again producing a novel which drew me in so effectively, and I realize I should really insert some Heinlein or Koontz in there with all my educational volumes.

The book is essentially a modern-day fairytale, but if you know Card, you know that that hardly begins to describe it. To start off, it's not an American fairy tale--it's actually based on Russian mythology, where such stories tend to be of a darker, tenser sort. A young Russian, Ivan, discovers in his youth the equivalent of sleeping beauty. But, forced to Judaism in order to flee the collapsing country to America, he leaves just as he finds it. Of course, as most would, he attempts to rationalize away the discovery over the intervening years, which he spends becoming his father's star pupil of ancient Slavonic languages, and working towards a doctorate in Russian mythology. In order to finish this, he must return to his home country and study original texts. Six months later, he is finished, but there is something that has haunted his dreams since he was a young child. He returns to the place where he once ran in fear from a chasm of shifting leaves, with a woman lying on a pedestal at the center.

From here on out, it would best be your own reading to make the best impact of the rest of the story. I will only tell you that it is an enticing novel, and one you won't want to put down.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
98 Reviews


Points: 1155
Reviews: 98

Donate
Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:57 pm
chasingcolts21 wrote a review...



Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card was really amazing. It was on our Battle of the Books list this year, so I read the series. I have read Ender's Game quite a few times, like eight or so. I haven't read this one yet, I'll have to pick it up at the store sometime soon.




User avatar
94 Reviews


Points: 5588
Reviews: 94

Donate
Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:12 pm
Eliza:) says...



Card is such a good reader. I'm definitely buying Enchantment next time I go to the bookstore.




User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 7061
Reviews: 277

Donate
Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:51 pm
Master_Yoda wrote a review...



I know what I'm picking up next time I get to a bookstore. I can't wait to read this. I can't believe you didn't like Speaker for the Dead etc. Rebellion Lies. I loved them.

What a great writer. :)




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 7

Donate
Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:54 am
RebellionLies wrote a review...



I'm going to have to pick this up sometime, I've read Ender's Game by Card and absolutely loved it (though the sequels were very disappointing in my opinion). I must have re-read it at least five times. Two or three of the instances were in a two day period. But this book is in a long queue, I have about seven books lined up to be read.





Life's short; smile while you still have teeth.
— Tuesday