z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence

Bruising Bone

by TGS


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and violence.

(Sorry I don't know how to wright song lyrics) I would really like some feed back on these lyrics :) thanks (sorry for the bad spellings)

Bruising Bone!

Chorus

You were the blade,

You were the blaze,

You left me in a haze,

You made me craze

Your still not done,

For you this is just fun, but

Your bruising bone,

And don’t you date say that your not,

You know what you did to my,

Heart,

Its like you tore back the skin,

Took one look at within,

And beat it with in an inch of my life,

I would have preferred,

If you had used a knife

It would have been cleaner,

It wouldn’t have made such a mess,

I wish I had never seen her,

But some times I think I am blessed,

To have you by my side,

Even if you took my pride.

No one told me it was going to be this way,

That when you find the one you love,

You have to pay,

But not in money or cash form,

No. Its got to me a shit storm,

Why did I have to listen to that voice,

So silky smooth but still I made the wrong choose,

When I was there in your time of need,

You repaid me by letting me bleed,

Why were you the blaze,

And not the safety net,

I have not figured that one out. Yet,

Why were you the blade,

And not the band aid,

Its cos you change, Change your shade,

From what you were,

To who you are now,

I spend sleepless night just wondering HOW!

Your bruising bone,

And don’t you date say that your not,

You know what you did to my,

Heart,

Its like you tore back the skin,

Took one look at within,

And beat it with in an inch of my life,

I would have preferred,

If you had used a knife

It would have been cleaner,

It wouldn’t have made such a mess,

I wish I had never seen her,

But some times I think I am blessed,

To have you by my side,

Even if you took my pride.

You took it, you stole it,

You took it, you stole it,

You took it your stole it,

You left me empty,

But full of bruising!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:13 pm
View Likes
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hi TGS!

I will start off with what I liked about the song, assuming the first seven lines I think are the chorus, I thought that was quite a solid chorus. You want the chorus to be short, snappy, catchy, because that's the hook that your listeners will be singing along to. Generally, I thought the song used some really good imagery, and it was different, but I liked it.

You have to pay,

But not in money or cash form,

Okay so I was reading the whole thing and generally it flowed quite well, then this second line up here ruined it in terms of flow and what was actually said. I mean, most people realise 'you have to pay' doesn't mean in cash form, especially from what the rest of the song is saying, so it's kind of just pointing out the obvious so I wouldn't really include it.

So silky smooth but still I made the wrong choose choice,


Right so with specific things out of the way, I must say that I disagree with a previous review on here, if you want to make it more vivid with the imagery, I say go for it! You've still managed to make it rhyme and give it a rhythm which is what is important in a song. I'm assuming you don't intend for this to be a pop song, in which case this is not appropriate, and stick to simplicity. However you say it's for your band, right now I'm picturing sort of heavy distortion on instruments, and some screaming kind of vocals. It's all very dark so it just reminds me of lyrics similar to the lyrics of bands like that.

I found the whole song quite repetitive, and I didn't really understand what was going on. Obviously the narrator is feeling some hurt towards someone. I'm not saying you have to explain the story, because you already kind of start to, but the whole song kind of repeats the same thing, in interesting ways, but still the same thing, not very interesting. It also doesn't help that the layout is so confusing, and I'm not sure where the verses start, and is there a bridge? Anyways, to even this ratio out you could talk more about how it makes the narrator feel, rather than what they want to do to this person.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. I'm glad you kind of went away from conventional songwriting and added an edge to yours, making it quite dark and grim. Just remember that you still want to keep it fresh throughout the song, so rather than repeating the same thing in different ways, write about something else related. I hope this review helped, feel free to ask me any questions or if you'd like another review on anything. Also if you have a recording of this, or plan to record it, I'd love to hear it.

Keep writing,
~ArcticMonkey x




User avatar
374 Reviews


Points: 1147
Reviews: 374

Donate
Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:46 am
View Likes
tgirly wrote a review...



Hello and Happy Review Day!

I like this song; it's very emotional, but not quite your typical romantic song. I'm getting more of a rock feel from it than pop? (If it is pop, that could work really well too; kind of like the dissonance similar to the upbeat tune of 'You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog'.) But there are a lot of grammar mistakes. Thankfully, people can't hear grammar mistakes for the most part, but it still wouldn't be bad to go back through and catch those.

Next on small-scale revisions would probably be your use of pronounce. In the chorus, it says, "You beat IT within an inch of MY life" and while I get what you're trying to say- like s/he beat the heart within an inch of the person's life, but maybe find a different way to say it so it doesn't seem off and I don't have to stop and think about whether or not that makes sense/works.

Also on pronouns, I'm not sure who's being referred to in the line where it says "I wish I had never seen her". Is it referring to the 'you' that was a blade, a blaze, etc.? (Really catchy intro there.) If it is, I would encourage you not to switch pronouns for just one line like that. Is it referring to a girl that maybe the you is cheating on the 'I' with? In which case, that really needs to be expounded upon more so we get the story as opposed to this one-liner sort of kind of referring to it.

The only other thing that seemed a bit off was "You should have used a knife." I thought he was a blade. That's not a big deal, but in just my opinion, I might use some other sort of imagery to avoid the contradiction.

Good luck to you and your band! Rock on! (or pop on, if that's a thing people say. ;) )

Hope this review helped,
-tgirly




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 511
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:58 am
View Likes
JaBurton wrote a review...



WARNING: I realize that I sound really rude below so I'd like to tell you that when the Creative Writers did a colab. with the Singer-Songwriters here at my school (majors), this is basically what they tried to convey to us. Were we good at it? Not at all, so I'm passing the knowledge forward with a bit (okay, a lot) of my own observations in there. Also, you are a very dark song writer....


Words... So. Many. Words...

Let's start here: a song is not a story. It's not a poem. This means it doesn't have a ton of words or visuals and in reality isn't that long. The beauty of a song is it's simplicity. It took me a minute to actually figure our what your chorus was because you don't have it labeled at the chorus in here (that would be über helpful by the way, even for yourself). Also the chorus is 18 lines long. I know you label that first past as the chorus but a) it's only at the beginning, b) it's at the beginning, and c) it's smothering me with rhyme.That said, you might be trying to use the repetition as the meat of the song, which is a no-go. The chorus should be short (max lines 7 I recommend) and the verses not super repetitive.

I know that I said this isn't a story, and it's not, but remember that you are trying to tell something with a song. I have a suggestion here. Rewrite what your trying to tell as a story or poem and then turn it back into a song. This will help you see what your trying to show the person who's listening to it, or reading it on their laptop, and make it so that the point (known here as the Chorus) is short and sweet and story focus.

My one big tic is the rhyming. The beauty of music is the ability to write words and force them to rhyme. Side and pride are easy and so having a bunch of similarly rhymed words makes it drag a little. Things like fizz and mist though... even reading them now, I'm sure you can hear the lack of rhyme there, but they can be fit together in the song simply because of the closeness (or even if the pronunciation was changed to fit your needs; it's allowed here).

BE BRAVE WITH THE LYRICS! You're trying to stay safe and write without putting to much into the lyrics in terms of variation but that's the only thing that's really hurting this song. Put too many words at first! You can always take some away, but it's a lot harder to find room to add some in. I know I'm saying start from scratch back in this review somewhere, but that's not even needed. Take what you have and write the long version. That's all. Then cut out the over-the-top repetition and I guarantee this will have improved quite a bit.

It's such a strong start and I want to see where you can take it. I love the ending especially because it wraps up what I think you're trying to convey with the lyrics. I read that repeating "You took it your stole it," as a kind of (well) pathetic admission at the end which is great. Not pathetic bad, but as in you're on your knees and coming to accept something. Then those last two lines. Nice. I think they should be your main focus...

Wow this is long.




TGS says...


Thank you both, your comments and advice will help a lot :)




"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns