The Teachers (a screenplay) [part 2]

by TDMitchell

Plot: After having a run in with another teacher, a British, arrogant teacher is forced to share the same class with the teacher he strongly dislikes. However when several deaths occur in each of the families of these teachers, their feelings for each other change as they learn to get along.

... ... ... ... ...

[from scene 17]

SCENE 18: CLASSROOM. AFTERNOON. INT.

SOUND EFFECTS

(song “You’re The Voice” fades out)

The student from scenario 10 finishes his test. Janet walks over to collect it, but Isaac beats her to it and takes the boys test himself. Janet snorts. Isaac takes the test up the front.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

OK. Now, we’re going to...

SOUND EFFECTS

(school bell rings)

Isaac waits for the bell to finish ringing.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Right. As I was saying...

JANET LINDSEY

Isaac.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(icily) What now?

JANET LINDEY

It’s second period. I take over now.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Janet, I have the whole two lessons planned! Can’t you do it next class?

JANET LINDSEY

(while walking towards Isaac) Isaac, we agreed that this double, you would take the first period and I would take the second one.

She is right in his face.

JANET LINDSEY

(icily) It’s second period. (pause) It’s my turn now.

There is a short pause.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I have the whole two lessons planned for today.

JANET LINDSEY

(quietly, calming) Well, we agreed that I would teach in the second period. You have already taught in the first period. You’ve done your job. And now it’s my turn to teach the class. (shouting) So, SHUT THE FUCK UP and let me do my job!

There is a short silence. Finally Isaac gives in.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(snorts) Fine. You take over.

He walks over to his table, sit behind it facing the class and puts his feet up.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(smoothly) Proceed, my dear.

JANET LINDSEY

(through gritted teeth, to Isaac) Don’t you freaking “My dear” me!

She turns to the class.

JANET LINDSEY

Right, everybody. We’re going to start the activities for To Kill A Mockingbird. Now I’m going to pass out a question sheet and you’re going to answer them providing you’ve read the novel. (pause) You’ve all read the novel, haven’t you?

STUDENTS

Ah...well...(mostly negative reactions)

Janet sighs.

JANET LINDSEY

(to herself, through gritted teeth) God, why don’t you kids ever read these fricken’ books?!

Isaac chuckles. She regains her composure.

JANET LINDSEY

OK. Seeing as you JACKASSES didn’t read the novel like you were SUPPOSED TO, I’ll hand out these work sheets and we’ll discuss the answers together. OK.

She gives the whole pile to a student down the front.

JANET LINDSEY

Pass these along, (student’s name).

STUDENT #7

Sure.

The student takes a sheet from the pile and passes the pile to the next student, and so on.

JANET LINDSEY

OK. Question 1: what was the name of the kid of whom Jem and Scout become friends with?

Silence.

JANET LINDSEY

Anyone?

STUDENT #8

We don’t know. We haven’t read the book.

STUDENT #3

That question isn’t even on the sheet, miss Lindsey!

JANET LINDSEY

(cusses under breath)

JANET LINDSEY

(normal voice) This is ridiculous, guys! I ask you to read a book, and you can’t even do that!

Isaac chuckles a little more.

JANET LINDSEY

You’re old enough to take responsibly of your education, so I suggest you do it! I should have to tell you twice!

Isaac is starting to laugh out of control. Janet looks at him sharply.

JANET LINDSEY

What is so God damn funny?!

Isaac continues to laugh historically, even falling onto the ground and snorting at some points. When he has finished, he gets up off the ground.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh! I am so sorry, dear Janet.

He sits back in his seat.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Please. Do go on. It’s rather entertaining.

Janet sternly turns back to the class.

JANET LINDSEY

Right. The name of the boy Jem and Scout meet is named Dill, or Charles Baker Harris.

JORDAN

Ah, how the fuck are we supposed to know that?

JANET LINDSEY

Language please, Jordan. Well, answering your question, you were supposed to read the book like I asked you to.

From here, Isaac is secretly picking his eyebrow hair and eating them whilst Janet is speaking. Some students see this and react accordingly. (We cut from Janet to Isaac, then to the class, etc.)

JANET LINDSEY

OK. Real question 1 this time: What was the story behind the Radley place? Now since none of you have read the book, I’m gonna have to give you this one. So make sure you write it down because I’m not going to repeat his. The Radley place was a mysterious old house, and that was where the Radley family lived. Basically the story goes that the son of Mr. and Mrs. Radley, whom the children called Boo, had been involved in a gang that performed, probably what I would call “minor crimes”, but it was enough to make the rest of the town really pissed off.

At this point, Isaac takes his shoe off, takes his sock off and puts it on his hand. (By now, both Isaac and Janet are in the same shot.) As Janet speaks, Isaac uses the sock as a sock puppet in mockery of her (but Janet does not know this is happening). Some students may find this funny and should react accordingly.

JANET LINDSEY

Because of this, Mr. Radley promised the community of Maycomb that he would indeed punish his son for his actions. But then there came a day, like, 15 years later, when Boo Radley was cutting up pictures from what could’ve been a magazine to paste into his scrapbook. And as his father walk past, Boo took the pair of scissors and drove them into his father’s leg. The police were notified and came to inspect the place, only to find Boo Radley cutting up pictures as though nothing had happened.

Students chuckle as a result of Isaac’s sock puppet.

JANET LINDSEY

(to Isaac without turning around) Isaac, stop what you’re doing and let me teach my class. (to class) Anyway, as a result of this, Boo was locked in the basement of the Maycomb County courthouse. But members of the county told Mr. Radley that if he didn’t take Boo out of the basement, he would die of mould from the damp.

Whilst she is saying this, Isaac flips her the birdie again. It is covered up by the sock, but it is a little obvious. Shortly after, Isaac slowly pulls his sock off his hand to reveal that he is indeed giving Janet the birdie. He then puts his sock back on his foot and resorts back to picking his eyebrow hair and eating it. The students react accordingly.

JANET LINDSEY

Mr. Radley agreed, of course. But exactly how they got Boo out of the courtroom basement all the way to the Radley place without Boo being seen is a mystery. Years later, there came a point in time when Mr. Radley was dying. So Atticus, Jem and Scout’s father, would often go around to the Radley place with Dr. Reynolds.

Whilst speaking, Janet realises that Isaac is doing something behind her back. So she slowly turns around.

JANET LINDSEY

(normally) And according to Atticus, Mr. Radley’s last words were... (immediately notices Isaac) OH, MY GOD! YOU’RE PICKING YOUR EYEBROW HAIRS AND EATING THEM!

ISABELLE

(taking notes) “Oh, my god! You’re picking your eyebrow hairs and eating them!” That’s a funny thing to say on your deathbed.

JANET LINDSEY

No, I mean it! Mr. Brushmore’s picking his eyebrows and eating them!

ISABELLE

Well, of course, he has, miss Lindsey. He’s been doing that all lesson! Didn’t you know that?

There is a long moment of silence.

ISABELLE

You...didn’t know that. ... Did you?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

You can see me after class, Isabelle.

JANET LINDSEY

(to Isaac) You are such a PIG!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

You are the most boring teacher God ever breathed life into! (to students) And if any of you stick up for her, you’ll all be kept in at lunchtime!

JANET LINDSEY

Oh! This is not a competition, Isaac!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I never said this was a competition!

JANET LINDSEY

Well, you act like it! You and your...stuck up, pommy accent, your...smartly dressed suits, your correct grammer, your (bagging him out).

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, at least I have principals and morals, which is more than I can say for you, ya pathetic fuck-hole!

JANET LINDSEY

DON’T YOU DARE USE THE F-WORD IN MY PRESENCE AGAIN!

Isaac posses with a karate pose with his hands out ready to defend.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Bring it, sister!

She slaps him hard in the cheek. Isaac is astonishment.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

You slap like a girl!

Without warning, Janet knees Isaac in the crotch. He then collapses to the ground.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh! Oh, cock!

Janet strongly picks Isaac up by his collar and lifts him up so that she can look him in the eye.

JANET LINDSEY

(fiercely) I am a girl!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Are you sure about that?

Janet punches him in the face. (Isaac’s POV - Janet punches camera)

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 19: COUNSELLOR’S OFFICE. MORNING. INT.

Isaac falls on his face on the floor of the counsellor’s office, as if knocked out by Janet from the previous scene.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Oo! Are you alright?

Paul helps Isaac get up.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, I should survive. Ta. I only just tripped over. It’s not there was a bed of nails waiting her for me.

They both sit down.

PAUL WILLIAMS

So, Isaac. What’s on your mind?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, nothing. Nothing at all.

Paul gives him a queer look.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Just some bitch teacher getting on my nerves, but life is good, and...

PAUL WILLIAMS

(interrupting) Whoah, whoah! Isaac! You said something about a teacher who was annoying you?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, yeah, I guess you could put it like that.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Well, without telling me her name...

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, hang that! It’s Janet Lindsey! (chanting) Name and shame! Name and shame! Name and... Sorry.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Well, what’s been happening?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

2 months ago, I was cooking up a good education to a bunch of year 10 students. And she comes and tries to take over! And now for the last 2 months, I’ve been sharing the same English class with her, and it’s just been plain hell!

Paul nods.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

She has just been a nightmare to work with! We never get along. For example, just 2 days ago, I know we agreed that I’d take the first period for a double and she’d take the second. But I had both lessons planned, and she just pushed me out of the way!

PAUL WILLAIMS

Isaac, you did agree with her.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Yes, I know. But... it’s... that was my English class! And she thinks she can just take over whenever she feels like it!

Paul continues to talk to Isaac, and Isaac talks to him. This can be improvised.

Finally....

PAUL WILLIAMS

Isaac, I know you’ll not want to do this. But I want you to try and be nice to her from now on.

Isaac is in shock.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

What? Me? Be nice to her? I’d rather eat playground dirt! She needs to change!

PAUL WILLIAMS

Isaac, if Janet’s going to change, then you need to change as well. Your ego can easily get in the way something. This week, I want you to put your ego and your profession aside and try to be nice to her. Try to help her, support her, be her “shoulder to cry on”, so to speak. I just really need you to get behind her.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(sigh) Must I?

PAUL WILLIAMS

Principal Brookshore said this was so you two could learn to get along.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I don’t see why I have to suffer with her! I’m a good person! I pay my tax. I visit an elderly man named Russell in the old people’s home. I respect my friends. I haven’t done anything wrong. I’m a virgin, by the way. I respect everybody!

PAUL WILLIAMS

Everybody?

Isaac thinks about this. He realises what he has just said and understands.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh. I see.

PAUL WILLIAMS

From now on, I want you to try and support Janet. Do for me. Do you think you can do that?

There is a shot pause while Isaac makes up his mind. Finally he smiles.

SOUND EFFECTS

(synth quietly and soothingly starts)

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I’ll do it.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Good man!

(CLOSE UP:) They shake hands.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Thanks, Paul.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Anytime, Isaac.

SOUND EFFECTS

(music “The Pursuit Of Happyness”)

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 20: VARIOUS SCHOOL ROOMS. RANDOM. INT.

(Montage of various incidents. They will be numbered. All dialogue is muted unless noted.)

1) STAFF ROOM. Janet is sitting at one of the tables of the staff room. There are not many people inside the staff room. She is drinking a cup of coffee. She also has a pile of papers (possibly tests) next to her.

SOUND EFFECTS

(school bell rings)

Janet notices the school bell, finishes her cup of coffee, get up, takes her papers and leaves, throwing her foam coffee cup on the way out. As she goes out the door, Isaac walks past her into the staff room. He almost bumps into her like last time, but he stops.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oops! Sorry.

JANET LINDSEY

You should be.

She walks past Isaac, who enters the staff room.

2) CLASSROOM. Isaac is teaching in class. He is talking. After while, Janet notices that he has says something wrong. She gets up and interrupts him. They both look at each other. Isaac beckons her to proceed. She steps forward and continues to teach, whilst Isaac steps back.

3) CLASSROOM. Janet is writing a bunch of words on the whiteboard underneath the heading “Spelling Words”. The sixth word she rights down is “center”. Noticing this, Isaac slowly approaches her and informs her of this mistake, changing the e and the r around. Not satisfied, Janet snatches the texture off him and rewrite it as “center”. Isaac shrugs and retreats to his seat.

4) CLASSROOM. Janet is teaching up the front of the class. Some students are writing down notes. Isaac is standing to the side of the class with his arms crossed. He is just standing there listening. Janet occasionally looks at him to see if he’s doing anything behind her back, but he isn’t. At one point, he beckons her to go on.

5) STAFF ROOM. Janet is reading a novel, preferably Night. She then picks up a 3/4 full bottle of diet coke and drinks from it. She then puts it down and continues to read. Whilst she is reading, unbeknownst to her, Isaac comes and swaps her 3/4 full diet coke for a full bottle of diet coke. He then walks off. After reading a while, Janet reaches out for the full bottle of diet coke sauce and drinks from it. She realises that there is lid on it and it has never been opened. On it is a not which reads “Courtesy, a fellow staff member.” Janet reads this, shakes her head and rips the note off and chucks it away.

6) CLASSROOM. Isaac is teaching in class. The student listen to him. We see a separate shot of Janet biting her fingernails. After doing this for a while, Isaac holds out his hand with the file that he confiscated from her. She looks at him, and then takes the file and uses it. Isaac continues to teach.

7) LIBRARY. Isaac goes over to the photocopier. He wants to photocopy the Australian Identity worksheet. When he arrives at the photocopier, he puts the test in the feeder and types in 20 as the number of copies he wants. He then realises that Janet has lined up behind him and wants to copy something as well. Isaac then cancels his copying job. He takes out what he wants to copy and lets Janet go in front of him. Janet is not too sure at first, but then she goes ahead. She copies what she needs to and goes. Another staff member comes up and tries to copy something in front of Isaac, thinking that Isaac will let them in front as well. But Isaac calming passes them aside and does his copying.

8) CLASSROOM. The students are doing a test. One by one, they finish. Isaac collects the test on one side of the class and Janet collect the test on the other side. They then come to one student. Isaac persuades Janet to take the test. Janet takes the test. They bring the tests to the front.

9) STAFF ROOM. Janet is sitting down on one of the cushiony seats reading a Harry Potter book. A while after, she picks up an empty mug and tries to drink from it, but it is empty. She pouts. Isaac comes along with a fresh cup of hot chocolate. He offers it to Janet. Janet is not too sure at first, but then she takes it and thanks him for it. Isaac leaves. Janet takes a sip and like the taste. She then gets back to reading the Harry Potter book, but finds the content unsatisfactory. She then puts the Harry Potter book down, picks up the Bible and starts reading it from passage containing the Beatitudes. She is more satisfied with the content.

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 21: COUNSELLOR’S OFFICE. MORNING. INT.

Isaac is in counsellor Paul’s office again. They shake hands again and sit down.

PAUL WILLIAMS

So, how’s your life been since we last met?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, I must admit that it was tough trying to be nice to that bi...

Paul clears his throat. Isaac acknowledges his mistake.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

...that other teacher. I don’t really think I’ve been making any progress with her.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Yes, but what about progress with yourself?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

What do you mean?

PAUL WILLIAMS

How do you feel no teaching with her than what you did several weeks ago?

Isaac thinks about this.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, I actually have felt a little better. Um...it’s been ages since we last cussed as each other, so... yeah. I think every thing’s fine.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Not quite, though.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, yes, you’re right there. There’s still a little more work to go on with. But,...I think I’m probably making more progress with myself than in her life.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Oh, you don’t know that.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

What do you mean?

Paul thinks of an example.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Remember last time you came to me? You said that you occasionally when out to the old people’s home and visited an elderly friend.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Yes, that’s right.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Tell me about that.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, the man I go out to see - his name’s Russell. Ah...he was an old friend of the family. Still is, I think. He was teaching in England when I was there as a small child. He was actually my teacher. And, I can’t remember what year it was. Was it ’75 or ’76? I...yes, it was! 1976, he came out to Australia and taught secondary students, retired 5 years ago, and he’s been my mentor with teaching, as well as a friend.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Well, how is he now?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, he’s very, very sick at the moment. But he’s always been a battler.

PAUL WILLIAMS

What do you think you’ve achieved in his life?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

You mean educationally, or...?

PAUL WILLIAMS

I mean, socially. Mentally. Does Russell by any chance get other visitors?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, not really, apart from me. He hasn’t actually seen anybody since his wife died. She was a beautiful woman. A very beautiful woman. (pause) But I have no right to say that! That would be lustful!

PAUL WILLAIMS

So, you’re his only companion. What do you do out there when you go to see him?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, we talk, we might...play cards, I make help him get around the place, brink him food or drinks or...I’m sorry, Paul. But what does any of this have to do with Janet?

PAUL WILLIAMS

What I’m trying to get at here is that by doing all the things you’ve done to Russell whilst you’re visiting him, you’ve created a friendship with him. A bond, as it were. Now with Janet, being nice to her is just the first step. If you keep treating her as you would like to be, she may see the light.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, I haven’t seen any of her kindness yet.

PAUL WILLIAMS

You have to take a lot of baby steps, Isaac. People don’t just (snaps fingers) change like that overnight. You’ve got to give it time.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, how much time?

PAUL WILLIAMS

Oh, only God knows that.

Paul looks at his watch.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Goodness me! It’s almost 2nd period.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, god! I have a class next.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Really. Is it with Janet Lindsey.

Isaac thinks about this.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(as if doomed) Fuck, it is too!

PAUL WILLIAMS

Take it easy, Isaac. Take it easy.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh God, help me!

PAUL WILLIAMS

Baby steps, Isaac. Baby steps. Who knows? This could be the final one!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, it is for me! If I don’t see any change in here today, I’m throwing in the bloody towel!

Paul chuckles.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Besides, she’s taking the lesson. I’ll just sit back and relax.

Paul extends his hand of friendship.

PAUL WILLIAMS

Keep in there, Isaac. Keep in there.

Isaac smiles and shakes his hand.

SOUND EFFECTS

(music “The Pursuit Of Happyness” main theme)

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Thanks, Paul. Thanks for everything.

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 22: SCHOOL GROUNDS. MORNING. INT.

Isaac walks out of Paul’s office. He walks through the school to his classroom. (The camera follows his journey from several angles.) Later, he finally gets to his classroom.

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 23: CLASSROOM. MORNING. INT.

Isaac gets to his classroom.

SOUND EFFECTS

(school bell)

He enters the class and receives a shock. There is Janet sitting at the desk crying her eyes out. She is not making any noise, except for quiet sobbing.

SOUND EFFECTS

(all music/sound effects, if any, mute) (silence)

There is a moment of silence.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Janet?

Janet looks up at him in surprise.

JANET LINDSEY

(blankly, no expression) Oh. It’s only you.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(harmlessly) I know.

Janet puts her head down again. Isaac walks over to her. He sits down on a table near by. There is a moment of silence.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

What’s wrong, Janet?

Janet looks up at him.

JANET LINDSEY

(pulling herself together) I’ve just received word that my father has died.

There is another moment of silence as Janet sobs again. After a short while, Isaac hears steps approaching. Isabelle walks stands at the door way.

ISABELLE

(happily) Hi, Mr. B! How are you?

She notices miss Lindsey crying.

ISABELLE

What’s wrong with miss Lindsey?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Isabelle, could you just give us a minute? Please?

ISABELLE

Oh. No problem, Mr. Brushmore.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Tell the rest of the class as they arrive to wait for me under the cottonwoods.

ISABELLE

(confused) But I thought you said miss Lindsey was taking the lesson...

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(almost a shout) Go! I’ll meet up with you later.

Isabelle shrugs and waits outside for the others, closing the door on her way. Isaac then turns his attention on Janet, who is still crying.

SOUND EFFECTS

(music “I Need A Shoulder To Cry On”)

Not knowing what to do, he moves to one side of Janet, knees down beside her and starts patting her on the back comfortingly. But he has no idea if he is doing the right thing or not.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

There...there...?

Janet slowly turns her head to him. Isaac, thinking that he did something wrong, stands up and retreats back to the table where he was sitting before. Janet gets out of her chair, comes and sits next to Isaac on the table, and throws her arms around her. Isaac is astonished, not knowing what is going on. Janet still sobs. Isaac then manages to embrace her (that is, hug her back).

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(comfortingly) It’s alright. It’s alright.

There is a moment of silence as Janet sobs a bit more. Eventually, a group of students gather at the window and watch Mr. Brushmore hugging miss Lindsey. Mr. Brushmore tries to shoo them away, but they keep watching. Eventually, the students outsides see a staff (off screen) approaching, and disappear. The staff member comes on screen and shoos away the last of the students and then looks into the class to see what is going on. The staff member is the counsellor Paul Williams. He recognises Isaac and Janet. Isaac recognises him. Paul smiles. Isaac smiles back at him understandingly, as if Paul had told him that this was the “baby step” and the change they were talking about.

PAUL WILLIAMS

(quietly) Well done, Isaac. (pause) You broke through in the end.

He leaves. Isaac then concentrates on Janet.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Janet,...

Janet stops hugging him and look at him.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

You probably shouldn’t be at school.

JANET LINDSEY

I thought I should come, or you’d yell at me.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I think I can make an exception just this once.

JANET LINDSEY

But what about the lesson? You haven’t planned anything.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I’ll come up with something.

JANET LINDSEY

You’re not just doing this just to get rid of me. Are you?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I’ll let you decide on that one.

Janet hugs him one more time.

JANET LINDSEY

(quietly) Thankyou.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

You’re welcome.

They continue to hug. Janet occasionally sobs, but with a smile on her face.

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 24: COTTONWOODS. MORNING. EXT.

The whole class is waiting for Isaac under the cottonwoods. Isaac shows up.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Good morning, everyone.

JASON

Mr. Brushmore! Where the hell have you been? And why are we out here under the cottonwoods?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Some things I don’t have to tell you, Jason. But I’ve decided that because it’s such a loverly day,...

(WEATHER SHOT:) A cloudy sky.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

...I thought we’d go outside. Now, if I’m not mistaken, we’ll be working on chapter 3 of To Kill A Mockingbird next class. Has anybody read up to chapter 3 yet?

The class responds in a negative way.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I thought not, which is why I’ve decided that we’re going to start reading the novel in class. I’ll be reading the novel out loud so you all can hear it.

JORDON

Yeah, but there’s, like, 3 people away today.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, they’ll just have to catch up, won’t they? Now...

JORDON

You can’t teach if those 3 people are away! They won’t know what we’re doing! Besides, it’s not like they’re gonna come and see you during lunch!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Jordan, Australian teachers are wooses. If a student fails English because they didn’t see us during lunch, Aussie teachers will always say: “Better luck next time.” Now, I’m from Great Britain. And if a student fails English because they didn’t see us during lunch and complain about it, we say: “Suck it up, princess!” (pause) Of course, unless you’re a female teacher. But, back on track. I’ll going to start reading from chapter 3 of To Kill A Mockingbird, and you’re all going to be quiet and listen to me unless you want to be chained naked to the flag pole out front.

Isaac picks up his copy of To Kill A Mockingbird and starts reading from chapter 3. But as he reads, he realises it’s so quiet without Janet, and starts to miss Janet. (For filming, Isaac only reads the first page of chapter 3. One camera is filming him, another is filming the students. Another shot is taken of all of them together from a distance.)

SOUND EFFECTS

(whilst Isaac reads: song “King Of Glory” by Third Day)

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 25: STAFF ROOM. LUNCHTIME. INT.

Isaac is siting my himself with a cup of tea. He is thinking about how peaceful the 2nd period was, and how much he misses Janet’s ‘interference.’

KERRY DICKSON

Excuse me, Isaac.

Isaac ignores her unknowingly.

KERRY DICKSON

Isaac.

Isaac ignores her again.

KERRY DICKSON

Excuse me, Mr. Brushmore?

Isaac ignore her again. Kerry then clicks her fingers in front of his face.

SOUND EFFECTS

(click) (any music and/or interfering sound effects mute)

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(suddenly realising she’s there) Huh?

KERRY DICKSON

Mr. Brushmore, can I please talk to you for a moment?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, I’m sorry. Yeah, sure.

Isaac moves over and Kerry sits next to him.

KERRY DICKSON

Um...Janet Lindsey isn’t here today, and we need someone who can take her year 10 Boys PE class. We were wondering if you’d be the one who could take them.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Let me take a look at the cover sheet.

Kerry gives Isaac the cover sheet and he reads it.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

“Students must split into teams and verse each other in a game of American football. Teams may be uneven, so teacher must play.”

KERRY DICKSON

Now, I know you aren’t the sporty type, Mr. Brushmore. But...

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Me? Not the sporty type? I am from England! We literally fucked your team in what you call ‘soccer’! Don’t tell me I’m not the sporty type!

KERRY DICKSON

So then you’ll do it?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

It’s American football! How hard can it be?

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 26: SCHOOL OVAL. PERIOD 5. EXT.

Isaac has the football in his hands.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(screaming/yelling)

A group of 3-4 year 10 boys run towards him and tackle him to the ground. Isaac hits the ground hard and groans.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

That was definitely off-side, God damn it!

The students get off him. One of the students help him up.

YEAR 10 STUDENT

Are you alright, Mr. Brushmore?

Isaac brushes himself down. He then address the group of boys who tackled him.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I shall report your names to Student Services for striking a teacher!

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 27: ISAAC’S HOUSE. AFTERNOON. INT.

SOUND EFFECTS

A caption reads: “3 weeks later”. Isaac is sitting in his living room. He is sitting at a wooden table correcting test. He also has his laptop near by. He is a little tired and stressed. Whilst correcting English tests, he occasionally flips through To Kill A Mockingbird to find the answers, in conjunction with looking at additional answer sheets.

SOUND EFFECTS

(door bell)

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Whatever you’re selling, I don’t want any!

SOUND EFFECTS

(anticipated door bell rings numerously)

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(quietly) Doh, bloody hell!

Isaac stops what he is doing, gets up and answers the door. He receives a surprise. Janet is standing at his door.

JANET LINDSEY

Hey.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

How the hell did you know where I live?

JANET LINDSEY

School directory.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Ah! That’s alright then. For a moment, I thought you were stalking me.

He chuckles.

JANET LINDSEY

(not to innocent) Yeah. Funny that. (forces laugh)

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

So, how have you been?

JANET LINDSEY

OK. I guess.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Mm.

JANET LINDSEY

Well, aren’t you going to invite me in? Or are we going to stand out here looking like ass holes?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, you can stay out here. I’m going inside.

JANET LINDSEY

(offensively) Oh!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Only kidding! Come on in!

JANET LINDSEY

You’d better be.

Janet walks in. They both walk into the main part of the house.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, make yourself at home, Janet.

JANET LINDSEY

Thankyou.

Janet goes over and sits in the armchair. Isaac enters the kitchen.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Anything you’d like to drink?

JANET LINDSEY

(makes a request)

// Time passes by, and Isaac places Janet’s order on the small table next to the armchair. He then sits on the couch facing her. Janet takes a sip of her drink and likes it.

JANET LINDSEY

Oo! You are a good cook.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I live alone. I have to be.

Janet puts down her drink.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

How have you been?

JANET LINDSEY

You’ve already asked me that!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I did? Oh, I did, didn’t I? Yes. Sorry.

Silence.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

So what, may I ask, is the nature of your visit? Eh...without being rude, of course.

Janet thinks a bit.

JANET LINDSEY

I don’t know, really. (pause) I was just at the cemetery, looking at my father’s grave. And I found out you were the only one I knew who lived around. So I thought I’d pop in...if that’s alright.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, no! Not at all! Not at all! (pause) (quietly) Yeah.

JANET LINDSEY

Can I just ask something?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Certainly.

JANET LINDSEY

Why were you being so nice to me 3 weeks ago? Are you trying to suck me up or something?

Isaac chuckles.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

No. Um...as it happens, after you and I had our last row, I went to see Paul, out student counsellor. And he suggested I should...eh...try and show a little bit of niceness to you. I had no bloody idea why on earth I should do a thing like that to you, of all people. But... (shrugs) I was desperate for a way out, and I thought I might as well try something!

Janet nods in acknowledgment.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

So, when you were crying,...I didn’t really know what do to. (pause) But I will say this: I’ve missed you for the last 3 weeks. It’s been quiet. It’s also been very busy.

JANET LINDSEY

How so?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Students have been doing more work that when you were here, I had to correct it all. They have a test tomorrow and I haven’t even made it yet.

JANET LINDSEY

Well, let me give you a hand.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, no, no, no! Please don’t! Just relax. You’ve had a tough busy 3 weeks and I don’t wanna have to put pressure on you.

JANET LINDSEY

Pressure? I am an educator. It’s what I do. //

SOUND EFFECTS

(song “Sweet Child O’ Mine” by Guns N’ Roses)

Isaac and Janet enter Isaac’s living room where he was working previously. They stand at the door way and inspect the pile of work that Isaac has to do. They then look at each other.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Are you sure you want to do this?

Jane looks at the pile of work again.

JANET LINDSEY

I’ll correct the worksheets, you type up the test.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

OK, then. Let’s get it on!

They approach the table. Isaac sits down at the laptop and Janet sits next to him. Janet looks on the answer sheet and corrects the tests like that. // Meanwhile, Isaac is opening Microsoft Word on the computer and starts creating a test for To Kill A Mockingbird chapter 3.

JANET LINDSEY

(whilst working) What’s the test about?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

What you’ve been doing is testing the students after every chapter of To Kill A Mockingbird because the little smegs won’t read it at home.

JANET LINDSEY

And what’s this?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

That’s another exercise I got them to do with To Kill A Mockingbird.

JANET LINDSEY

Oh. What about?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I cannot remember now! I have been so heavily laidened with work, I just correct whatever the hell’s in front of me.

Janet chuckles. They go back to work.

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 28: CLASSROOM. PERIOD 3. INT.

(Shot 1) Isaac is handing the tests out. He then tells all the students to commence. (Shot 2) Several shots of students doing the test. (Shot 3) Students putting their hands up and Isaac or Janet collecting their test. (Shot 4) When the last student’s test has been collected, Isaac addresses them. (From shot one to shot 4, it’s supposed to look like 90 minutes of work in about 30 seconds.)

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Now, everybody. Over the weekend, I want you to read chapter 4 and onwards, if any of you are smart enough. We’ll be starting work on chapter 4 regardless of whether or not you dumb asses have even bothered to a) read the book, or b) complete all of the work from the previous chapters.

(Music fades out.) The class groans.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Now, last night, miss Lindsey and I have corrected your exercises from To Kill A Mockingbird, and I have to say that I was appalled at one question you all got wrong. None of you could name at least one character from the book so far! So, what I’ll do is read out the answers for that question now.

He searches for a piece of paper on the desk. // Whilst he searches, Jordon gets Luke’s attention. He holds up the real answer sheet that Isaac is looking for. They both giggle.

LUKE

So what did you put in its place?

JORDON

Well, I did a bit of research on Wikipedia last night, and I found some good names. Listen!

Isaac thinks he has found the answer sheet and gets ready to read it.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

OK. The characters from To Kill A Mockingbird so far are as follows:

He clears his throat and reads from the paper.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

“Mr. Dumas, Steve Cock, Pat McGroin, Mike Oxlong, Phil McCracken, Master Bates, Mike Hawk, Mike Hunt, York Hunt,” they’re all related.

Some students and Janet tries to refrain from laughing.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

“Heywood Jablome, Hugh Jacoc, Hugh G. Rection, Dick Hertz, Harry Wang, Hugh Janus, Jack Mehoff, Dixie Normus, Moe Lester, Wee Tard,...”

Throughout this, the students are laughing.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

... “Ima Gaiman,”... What is so damn funny?

JANET LINDSEY

(whilst laughing) That’s not the answer sheet?

Isaac looks at the list.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

It isn’t? (to students) OK. Who the hell has my answer sheet? Give it to me now, and you won’t get detention. (pause) Oh, who am I kidding? You’ll get detention either way!

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 29: STAFF ROOM. LUNCH TIME. INT.

Janet and Isaac are sitting together. They both have phome cups of tea.

JANET LINDSEY

That was some crazy turd you pulled off last class!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, don’t get me started about that, Janet! That was so embarrassing. All those gay name I didn’t even know what they meant.

JANET LINDSEY

Tell me honestly. Which one of those names were your favourite? Which name did you like?

Isaac thinks about this.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well,...I would say...I personally like the “York Hunt” name.

Jane laughs her head off.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

What is so funny?

JANET LINDSEY

The name that you like from the list!

She keeps laughing.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I don’t see anything funny about that! All I said was that I like York Hunt! I don’t see...

Janet keeps on laughing.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, come on, Janet! What does “York Hunt” mean anyway?

Janet whispers into his ear what it means. Isaac is taken by surprise, and then faints at its graphic nature.

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 30: ISAAC’S HOUSE. EVENING. INT.

Isaac is working away in his office. He is writing a few things. The room is of natural light, probably dark. The only light Isaac has is the lamp on the side of his desk. He wears glasses as he works.

SOUND EFFECTS

(telephone rings)

Isaac stops working, takes his glasses off, turns on the office light and answers the phone.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Hello? Isaac Brushmore speaking.

ALCHARINGA RECEPTIONIST

Ah, yes. I’m looking for Mr. Isaac Brushmore. Is here there?

Isaac roles his eyes.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Yes. I’ll just go and get him.

He holds the phone away from him.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(yelling) Isaac! It’s for you!

Isaac rustles the phone around, trying to make it sound like the phone is being passed to another person. He then talks into the phone again.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Ah, hello. This is Isaac Brushmore speaking. Who is this, may I ask?

ALCHARINGA RECEPTIONIST

This is Judy from Alcharinga, the old people’s home.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, Judy! How nice to hear from you! Ah, not to get off track with your call or anything, but how’s my friend Russell been going lately?

ALCHARINGA RECEPTIONIST

Well, that’s exactly what I wanted to talk to you about.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

What are you talking about?

ALCHARINGA RECEPTIONIST

(fading out) Mr. Brushmore, I have some terrible news for you...

SOUND EFFECTS

(music “Soul Longing”)

Isaac listens to what “Judy” has to say (audience doesn’t here what she says to add to the tension/drama). Throughout this conversation, Isaac’s face drops. It is depressing news.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(quietly, getting louder) No. No. That can’t be! No. No! No! No! (yelling) NO!! (pause) THAT CAN NOT BE!

The receptionist talks again.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

No, it cannot be! Are you completely sure? For god’s sake, are you completely sure?!

The receptionist talks again. Still in shock, Isaac arm drops. He also drops the phone onto the floor (the floor is carpet).

ALCHARINGA RECEPTIONIST

(whilst phone is on the floor) Hello? Hello? Mr. Brushmore? Are you there? Excuse me, Mr. Brushmore? (continues)

Isaac ignores the phone call (which slowly fades out). He is in great shock and sadness. He then buries his face in his hand and sobs for the remainder of the scene.

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 31: CLASSROOM. MORNING. INT.

Janet enters the classroom with her equipment. She enters to see Isaac standing in front of the class with his hands in his pockets and looking over the empty classroom as if there were people there. Janet realises something is wrong.

JANET LINDSEY

Hey.

Isaac looks at her.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Hey.

Janet places her stuff down on a table and goes over to Isaac.

JANET LINDSEY

What’s wrong, Isaac?

Isaac turns to her. There is no life in his face at all.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

My elderly friend, Russell, in the old peoples home, passed away on Friday night.

Janet looks concerned. There is a long silence. Isaac wipes his eye/nose with his handkerchief.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

His funeral’s today.

JANET LINDSEY

You should go and pay your last respects.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(trying to keep it in) Don’t be silly. I’ll be fine.

JANET LINDSEY

Are you sure?

SOUND EFFECTS

(song “True Intimacy” by Eoghan Heaslip)

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(forced, fake, nervous laugh) Yeah!

Isaac doesn’t seem able to control himself, and starts to get teary, and breaks down.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I’m sorry! I just can’t do it anymore.

Janet puts her hand on his shoulder in comfort as Isaac sobs.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I’m sorry!

JANET LINDSEY

Go. See him for the last time. I’ll take care of the class.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Janet, you only just got back! I can’t leave you with such a burden!

JANET LINDSEY

Hey. I’m a teacher. Burdens are part of the job. It’s what we do.

Isaac looks up at her. Janet hugs him and kisses him on the side of the cheek.

JANET LINDSEY

Go.

Isaac hugs her back. They hug for a while. Isaac is crying. Janet is comforting him - patting him on the back, offering comfort words.

SONG

♪ With all of my heart,

I hunger for You.

All I want and all I seek

is true intimacy ♪

They stop hugging.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Thanks, Janet.

Isaac hurries out of the classroom. Janet just stands there.

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 32: CEMETERY. MORNING. INT.

We see archival footage of the funeral for Russell at the cemetery.

MINISTER

(voiceover) Ashes to ashes, dust to dust...

SONG

♪ ...All I want and all I seek

is true intimacy with You ♪

Later, Isaac wonders over gravely to the grave of his friend Russell. He looks at the grave stone for a while. His face is sad. (We may need several shots - Shot 1: a landscape shot, Shot 2: a close up of Isaac’s sad face, Shot 3: a separate of Russell’s grave stone.) (Optional: Isaac may cry/shed a tear.)

SONG

♪ Here I stand waiting, Lord

Touch me now like never before

Let me change and be transformed

True intimacy is what I’m longing for ♪

Isaac turns and walks away from the grave. He then goes over to a bench somewhere in the cemetery and sits down. While sitting there, he sits there motionless. He misses Janet and some flashbacks may appear of him and her from earlier in the film. He just sits there remembering.

SONG

♪ With all of my heart,

I hunger for You.

All I want and all I seek

is true intimacy ♪

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 33: CLASSROOM. MORNING. INT.

Whilst this is happening, the students are doing a test in class. Janet is standing and looking out the window. She too is motionless and is missing Isaac. Some flash backs may appear.

SONG

♪ With all of my heart,

I hunger for You.

All I want and all I seek

is true intimacy with You ♪

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 34: CEMETERY. MORNING. INT.

Isaac sitting on the bench. He is still upset. In combination of missing Janet and the death of Russell, he breaks down.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(sobbing)

SONG

♪ Here I stand waiting, Lord

Touch me now like never before

Let me change and be transformed

True intimacy is what I’m longing for ♪

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 35: RANDOM. RANDOM. RANDOM.

(Throughout the song, there are switches between more than one day/instance/scenes, indicating that some time has gone by. They will be numbered. All dialogue is muted unless noted.)

1) ISAAC’S HOUSE. AFTERNOON. INT.

Isaac walks into his house. He goes and slumps down in his armchair.

SONG

♪ Here I stand waiting, Lord

Touch me now like never before ♪

2) STAFF ROOM. AFTERNOON. INT

Janet sits motionless by herself on one of the seats of the staff room.

SONG

♪ Let me change and be transformed

True intimacy is what I’m longing for ♪

3) ISAAC’ HOUSE. EVENING. INT.

Isaac is sitting in the shower with the shower running. He is fully dressed in his clothes that he had previously worn. (This is similar to a scene in Casino Royale.)

SONG

♪ Intimacy is the longing

Of my heart, Lord

Of this heart ♪

4) SCHOOL COURTYARD. AFTERNOON. EXT.

Janet sits motionlessly, staring at the reflection of herself in the small pond at the front of the courtyard at school. (Our camera view first views her reflection in the pond and slowly pans up to Janet.)

SONG

♪ Intimacy is the longing

Of my heart, Lord

Of this heart ♪

5) ISAAC’S HOUSE. NIGHT. INT.

We briefly see Isaac get ready for bed.

SONG

♪ Intimacy is the longing

Of my heart, Lord

Of this heart ♪

Isaac gets into his bed, but struggles to sleep.

SONG

♪ Intimacy is the longing

Of my heart, Lord

Of this heart ♪

6) JANET’S HOUSE. NIGHT. INT.

Janet lies in her bed. She is motionless and misses Isaac.

SONG

♪ Here I stand waiting, Lord

Touch me now like never before ♪

7) ISAAC’S HOUSE. NIGHT. INT

Isaac is sitting on the side of his bed. His face in his hands, weeping.

SONG

♪ Let me change and be transformed

True intimacy is what I’m longing for ♪

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 36: SCHOOL COURTYARD. RECESS. EXT.

As the song fades out, we see Isaac sitting by himself sad again. He is on his own. (The song is fading out.) After a while, a former student approaches him.

LEVINIA

Hey, Mr. Brushmore!

Isaac notices her. Levinia sits down next to him.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Levinia! How nice to see you! I haven’t seen you in years! How have you been?

LEVINIA

Mm... not too bad. How come you’re not teaching me this year?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Why would you want anyone like me to teach you again? (pause) Come to think of it, when did I last teach you?

Levinia stares at him.

LEVINIA

You serious don’t remember? It was year 7...

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Year 7! Has it been that long? Oh, my goodness! You haven’t changed a bit!

Levinia motions to her breasts. Isaac acknowledges this.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Right. Aside from pubertal changes, of course.

Awkward silence.

LEVINIA

So...what’s been happening?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh. Not much, really. How about you?

LEVINIA

Mm, well, I have this science teacher who is a real bitch, but...

Isaac frowns at her choice of words, but Levinia doesn’t notice this.

LEVINIA

...yeah, life’s not too bad.

Isaac acknowledges this. There is another awkward silence.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Levina?

Levinia looks at him.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

How do you know if you love someone?

Levinia smiles at him.

LEVINIA

Mr. Brushmore, I’m flattered!

SOUND EFFECTS

(music “At Long Last, Love”)

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I don’t mean you, Levinia. I mean someone else. It’s just...I’ve been, kind of, starting off on the wrong foot with this person, and...just some simple advice from the counsellor, “Just be nice to her.” That’s what he said. (pause) And so, I did. And now I long for her presence.

There is a long silence.

LEVINIA

Did you practise that in front of the mirror before you said that?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Yes, I did, to be quite honest.

LEVINIA

So, you like this teacher?

Isaac nods.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Yes, I do. Or, at least, I think I do.

SOUND EFFECTS

(music starts to swell, as if beginning a song)

LEVINIA

Well, I won’t say much, Mr. B. But I will give you this little piece of advice:

She takes a breath like she’s about to start singing, but Isaac cuts her off.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, god! You’re not going to start singing now, are you?

LEVINIA

Yes. Yes, I was.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

You sing to me, and I’ll ask your singing teacher to fail you.

LEVINIA

Fucking hell!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(about her language) Eh...can we please try and keep this G rated?

LEVINIA

Oh, snotty-gobbles?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

How about PG rated?

LEVINIA

Holy shit?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Uh...I think I can live with that.

LEVINIA

Well, how can I tell you this tip if I can’t sing?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Easy. Just tell me the song name and I’ll get it from iTunes.

SOUND EFFECTS

(school bell rings) (song “You’re Beautiful” by James Blunt)

Levinia gets up.

LEVINIA

Well, that’s the bell. Gotta run!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, have a good day, Levinia.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

You too. Take care!

Levinia leaves. Isaac still sits on the bench. He is still very unsure of his life. (We have different shots of him from different angles.)

SONG

♪ My life is brilliant

My love is pure

I saw an angels

Of that I’m sure

She smiled at me on the subway

She was with another man

But I won’t loose no sleep on that

‘Cause I’ve got a plan ♪

Down the steps further up, Janet comes. Isaac is looking at her in his peripherals. We occasionally see Janet walking in slow motion. Isaac does not turn his head to her, but eyeballs her. Janet notices him, but does not turn her face to him. She eyes him to.

SONG

♪ You’re beautiful, you’re beautiful

You’re beautiful, it’s true

I saw your face in a crowded place

and I don’t know what to do

‘cause I’ll never be with you ♪

As soon at Janet has walked away (she cannot walk into the staff room or to Isaac), Isaac gets up and walks into the staff room because this is his free period. He goes to make himself a cup of tea. But he stops hesitantly either in the process or after.

SONG

♪ Yes, she caught my eye as I walked on by

She could see from my face that I was fucking high

And I don’t think that I’ll see her again

But we shared a moment that will last ‘till the end ♪

He immediately walks out of the staff room and walks to the counsellor’s office. He walks into the counsellor's office and they talk. (All dialogue is muted. This bit doesn’t have to re-filmed - it can be a montage of earlier footage with Paul.)

SONG

♪ You’re beautiful, you’re beautiful

You’re beautiful, it’s true ♪

He walks into the counsellor's office and they talk. (All dialogue is muted. This bit doesn’t have to re-filmed - it can be a montage of earlier footage with Paul.)

SONG

♪ I saw your face in a crowded place

and I don’t know what to do

‘cause I’ll never be with you ♪

Isaac then walks out of the counsellor’s office and walks back to the staff room.

SONG

♪ La la la la, la la la la,

La la la la, la-a la ♪

He arrives back into the staff room and sits on one of the soft seats. He is about to drink his “half-made” tea, but realises he does not have it with him.

SONG

♪ You’re beautiful, you’re beautiful

You’re beautiful, it’s true ♪

// Back in the counsellor’s office, Paul Williams notices that Isaac has left his “half-made” tea on a table. Paul picks it up, thinks what he should do with it, and drinks it.

SONG

♪ There must be an angel with a smile on her face

When she thought I should be with you ♪

// Back in the staff room, Isaac makes himself a new cup of tea, sits down on a soft chair and drinks it. He may even pick up a newspaper/magazine and read it.

SONG

♪ But it’s time to face the truth;

I will never be with you ♪

Isaac is just sitting there doing what he was doing previously.

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 37: STAFF ROOM. NOON. INT.

SOUND EFFECTS

(school bell rings)

Isaac hears the school bells, looks at his watch, gets up, throws out his foam cup decides to head to his office. He opens the door and on this way out, he bumps into Janet. They look at each other. There is an awkward silence.

JANET LINDSEY

Hey.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Hey.

JANET LINDSEY

Heading off to a class?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

No, I was just heading to my office. Just to tidy up some minor loose ends.

JANET LINDSEY

Can I please talk to you for a minute?

Teacher #1 trying to get out stands in line behind Isaac.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Of course. Can I say something too?

JANET LINDSEY

Of course.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

First of all, I just want to say that...

Teacher #1 waiting behind Isaac finally speaks.

TEACHER #1

(interrupting, very bad tempered) Hey! You’re holding up the God damn door way here!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(politely) Oh. Sorry.

Isaac moves out of the door way and lets Teacher #1 through.

TEACHER #1

Jesus, you British people!

He walks away. Isaac smiles politely. When he is sure Teacher #1 can’t see him, Isaac flips him the birdie. Janet, realising that is inappropriate, drags him inside.

JANET LINDSEY

Come along, Isaac.

Janet and Isaac both go inside. They sit down together. There is a brief pause.

JANET LINDSEY/ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(together) Look... You first. No, I insist. OK. I’ll go first. Alright, then. You go first. No, I insist. You go first. Alright. I’ll start. (say things completely different) Alright. You go first.

TEACHER #2

(nearby) Oh, for god’s sake! One of yous start already!

Insulted by his comment, Janet and Isaac respond with the following.

JANET LINDSEY

(questioning) Are you single like us?

TEACHER #2

No.

ISAAC LINDSEY

(tough, bouncer-like) Then, hit the road, Butch!

Isaac jerks his thumb over at the door. Teacher #2 shrugs and leaves the staff room. Jane and Isaac then turn back to each other.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

What a cockhead.

JANET LINDSEY

Totally!

Awkward silence.

JANET LINDSEY/ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(together, as before) Look... You first.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Oh, god! We’re not going to start that again, are we? Fine, then! I’ll start!

JANET LINDSEY

OK.

Isaac gets ready to tell her.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I just want to apologise for my attitude when we started out teaching the class. I’ve realised over the last couple of weeks, even months, that I may have been a little harsh on you at the start.

Janet smiles.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Ah...this next part isn’t so easy for me. Ah...miss Lindsey, (pause) we’ve known each other for a while, and...w-we’ve been through thick and think, both together and separately. Ah...and over the course of time, I...I f...I feel like my perspectives of you have...eh, somewhat began to change. (babbling) I guess what I’m trying to say is...that...

Janet waits in anticipation. Isaac tries to say something but he can’t. He sometimes uses his hands. He’s acting like he’s about to throw up.

JANET LINDSEY

Isaac?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(relieved) Yes?

JANET LINDSEY

Can I say something?

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Of course.

JANET LINDSEY

OK.

Janet takes in a deep breath.

JANET LINDSEY

I think I love you.

Isaac just looks at her. She looks back at him as if she is expecting a punch in the face. There is a long silence.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Why do women find it more easier to say things, and men struggle to even bring it up in conversation, even in they are the exact same things they want to say to each other?

Janet chuckles.

JANET LINDSEY

Well, according to research, men tend to try and impress the opposite sex by coming up with elegant ways of saying something. Women don’t even bother! They just tell it like it is!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I know a few other women like that. My mother. My aunt. My sister. (pause) The school principal, Mr. Brookshore. (pause) But, you know, seriously that is a load of cock tease! It’s not true at all.

JANET LINDSEY

Oh, really? Well, let’s make a little scenario. Let’s just say that we don’t like the tops we’re both wearing today. What would you say?

Isaac thinks about this.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I’d say “Pardon my French, Janet. I really don’t mean to intrude, but the top you are wearing today doesn’t really appeal to my kind of individual licking.” Now, what would say?

JANET LINDSEY

3 words: “You...look...shit!”

Isaac looks at his shirt.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

What’s wrong with this?

Janet chuckles.

SOUND EFFECTS

JANET LINDSEY

So tell me, Isaac. What were you going to say? And don’t try and filter anything through! Just tell me straight out!

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

I like you, too.

Janet kind of takes offence to this, but keeps it in.

JANET LINDSEY

Oh. You like me then. That’s cool. You like me.

Isaac shields his mouth with his hand from everyone else, just so Janet can hear him.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(casually) Well, this staff room isn’t empty, so I can’t say “I love you” out loud.

Janet realises that he has just told her he loves her. In joy, Janet hugs OR kisses him happily. They both hug each other for a while.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(eventually) Wanna go over to Busters?

They look each other in the eye.

JANET LINDSEY

Gee, I don’t know. It’s against the rules to go over there during school hours.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

As a fellow employee, I would advise you to follow the rules.

JANET LINDSEY

What about as a friend?

Isaac smiles.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

To feck with the rules.

Isaac gets up, heads for the door, opens it and holds his hand out for her to go through.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Well, shall we?

Janet smiles, gets and heads for the door. They both walk out the door together, down the steps and walk through the school off into the distance. As they are walking, words appear on the screen:

ON SCREEN TITLES

After 7 months of not seeing eye to eye, Isaac Brushmore and Janet Lindsey finally learnt to get along with each other.

They went out for 3 months before Isaac proposed to Janet. They were engaged until 31st January the next year, which was when they married.

... ... ... ... ...

SCENE 38: CHURCH. MORNING. INT.

At the wedding, Isaac is up the front of the church with the minister. The congregation, who are standing up, consists of Mr. Brookshore and everyone from the former English class that Isaac and Janet used to teach together (they no longer teach that class because it is a new year). Janet walks slowly down the isle. She wears a white (if not, really pretty) dress and carries a bouquet. She finally reaches the front and stands next to Isaac. The congregation sit down.

JANET LINDSEY

Now, if any of you need have any problems, just let us know.

ISAAC BRUSHMORE

Mr. Brookshore, I know how much of a hard time you have in crowds. So if you need to fart, just try and keep it in.

PRINCIPAL BRUSHMORE

Relax, Isaac! I should be fine! Just go ahead and get married already!

Isaac and Janet chuckle, and then turn to the minister.

MINISTER

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness of joining of Sir Isaac Graham Brushmore and Janet Louise Lindsey in holy matrimony, before this crowd of witnesses, and before the Lord God Almighty.

MR. BROOKSHORE

(whispering to Jordon) Uh, oh! I suddenly need to fart.

JORDON

(whispers back) Keep it in there, Mr. Brookshore.

MINISTER

As it is written in the Holy scriptures...

The minister is about to recite the passage by heart, but has forgotten what it says.

MINISTER

Oh, bugger it!

The minister opens his Bible to 1 Corinthians 13 and reads from verse 4 onwards.

MINISTER

“Love is patient, love is king. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.”

MR. BROOKSHORE

(whispers) I don’t think I can hold it!

JORDON

(whispers) Keep it in there, Mr. Brookshore!

MINISTER

“It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”

MR. BROOKSHORE

(whispers) Oo! It hurts so badly!

JORDON

(whispers) Well, go outside and let it out!

MR. BROOKSHORE

(whispers) No way! I’m not missing out on this special event!

MINISTER

“Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”

The minister closes the Bible.

MR. BROOKSHORE

(whispers) Here it comes!

JORDON

(whispers) What are you going to do? Jump up and tell everybody?

MR. BROOKSHORE

(whispers) I think I might have to! I just can’t hold it in!

MINISTER

If there are any objections of why these two should not be joined, speak now!

Mr. Brookshore jumps up.

MR. BROOKSHORE

(talking about his farts) I’m sorry, but I can’t do this! I just can’t keep it in! I can’t go through with it!

JANET LINDSEY/ISAAC BRUSHMORE

(thinking he doesn’t want them to get married) Mr. Brushmore!

MINISTER

What is the reason for your objection of this marriage?

Mr. Brushmore farts long and hard. The congregation acts accordingly.

STUDENT #3

Oh, that’s gross!

The minister leans towards Isaac and Janet.

MINISTER

(to Isaac) Did you bring your gun?

Janet and Isaac look at the minister, and then they look at each other. The screen then cuts to black.

SOUND EFFECTS

(song “I’m No Superman” by Laslo Bane)

The end titles with some bloopers.

SOUND EFFECTS

(song “Up And Up” by Relient K)

End credits roll onto the screen.

Company logos. Black screen.

THE END.

Okay, so I don't have time to read this right now, but I thought I'd give a review anyways because I did read the first scene and it seems promising.

First of all, when Janet's like, "With your suits and your whatnot" she says "with your good grammer," which should be "grammar." So, minor spelling thing there.

Also, she tells the students to watch their language, and she tells Isaac not to use the f-word in her classroom, but unless I'm misremembering - she has already used the f-word at that point. In front of the students. Is she hypocritical on purpose? Or did you just not realize you did that? I could call you out on that fact that EITHER teacher is using the f-word, but I guess the point is that they're both horrible teachers, so never mind that.

I don't know how it normally is in screenplays, but in stage plays, the stage directions are almost always in italics. Obviously this doesn't matter quite as much when it's right in the speech, because you've got something like this:

JANET:
Hi there. (pause) What the hell are you doing in my classroom?

(I know, she didn't say that at any point, I just needed to come up with an example.)

But when it's a longer stage direction outside of the text, it's just easier to see on the page if it's in italics. Such as:

ISAAC:
Fine, just go ahead and have your class and see if I care.

ISAAC begins picking his eyebrow hairs and eating them. Several students notice and react accordingly.

Also, it might be nice to know what "react accordingly" specifically means, but I'll leave that one up to you.

I think that was all the comments I had to make... Otherwise, like I said, this seemed very funny. So good job, and I hope this helps, even though I didn't read the whole thing.

~Blue

But there was no goat man, there was NEVER any goat man!
— OSP Red