z

Young Writers Society


12+

Smile

by Sylar


Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxlkaGVj2itcdmpmdzkzUVM4Q0k/edit?usp=sharing


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:12 am
Demeter wrote a review...



Hey, icannothearthings! A fellow Salsa member ;)

Firstly, I have to ask: does the script not go on after page 6? I was sure my Google Drive was being silly, because it didn't feel like the ending. I'm going to feel horrible if I just assume that was the ending if it actually isn't!

However, I hope you bear with me when I'm going to review this like it ends on Page 6 after Raina's mum says "I'll send the invitations" and Raina says "Sure", because that's as much as I can speak for.

With that said, I wasn't really sure what the actual story was. There were lots of little moments - the scout meeting, the accident, the school class, the car drive - but none of it seemed too connected. If the point of the story was for Raina to have her teeth knocked out, I wasn't sure why suddenly she was alright again and the cast was taken off like nothing had happened :o

I was also interested in whether this is a film or a play script and how old the characters are. The fact that Raina started "bawling" after the accident and that the girls were chattering and asking her about it made them seem much younger than when Raina talks about liking a teenage boy? It was just a bit confusing to me. Perhaps before the actual script begins, you could add a page with all the characters needed (like it's often done anyway) and their ages or something to give the reader a bit of a headstart.

One thing that I really liked was the bit in the class were the girls were hustling around Raina trying to find out about the accident. Even though none of the other girls really stood out as their own character, you captured that sort of atmosphere very well. And the end of the scene when the girl asks "That's it?" was very funny! I think that was your strongest scene.

I'm not really used to reading scripts, so hopefully I could still make some sense!


Demeter
x






Okay, so I have the next part of the story in this folder, ( "Birthday Make-over" a scene from SMILE )

Now, the bawling was a joke, and girls still chatter about accidents and other stuff in my school, and I'm in 8th grade. These girls are supposed to be 12-13 yeas old (you can watch the finished film on my wall).

Thanks for the review!



User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 11196
Reviews: 254

Donate
Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:31 am
Sonder wrote a review...



Hello, icannothearthings! Night for a short review.

I enjoyed this. Is it based off of something or an original work? I thought it was based off of something but I'm not sure what because what you wrote at the beginning confused me. :) I connected the situation of a girl being made fun of for something as shallow as teeth. When I was younger I knocked out my two front teeth, and couldn't eat things forever. It was horrid, so I can connect with your character.
However, despite an interesting plot, I felt you could have added a lot to the script. The characters felt pretty shallow. Even if you are re-narrating an already-written scene, you could add some more flare to make it more interesting or demonstrate what you want the actors to do in the actual play. For example, when she looks in the mirror and sees the teeth cast, she could gasp, stare harder, shriek, just gape in horror, anything that gives her more depth. It would make the script more interesting, but perhaps you don't want to do that because those character embellishments are usually the director's decisions. I also think this script would make a perfectly fine story, that is, if it isn't based off a story. I really need to know what it is based off of to make a better review, sorry.

I also think that there are too many cuts and not enough meat to the story. I feel like if this is for a short movie or a trailer, there should be more talking and action for character development so it's not all fades and cuts. Just my opinion.

Overall, great job with a well functioning script, and a reasonable backbone for a good story. Hope I helped improve this some, and great job!

Keep writing and being amazing!

~NC






In short films, the scenes are short and snappier then feature-length films. That's why the scenes are so short.

The reason I was a bit dry with description is because I already know how I need my actors to move throughout scenes. And yes, this is based off of "Smile" by Raina Telgemeier.

Thanks!



Sonder says...


Great! That's what I was checking with. Are you planning to record this, then?





Yes! Filming tomorrow and Wednesday actually.



Sonder says...


Wow, nice! Will you post it somewhere? I'd like to see how it turns out.





Yeah. I'll put the link up in my "about" section. I just need to shoot it!



Sonder says...


Great, thanks!




It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
— Mark Twain