Labels

by SushiSashimi333

"Hey, I'm bored. Oh wait! I have a great idea! Do you see that girl over there, wearing what she's wearing? She's just asking to get picked on today. I hope someone dumps their lunch on her. She has no fashion sense.

Oh, do you see that boy over there flirting with that girl? He's such a player flirting with everyone he sees. And that girl, don't even get me started! She's such a whore! Those two totally belong together. Maybe they'll get a disease and die together! Wouldn't that be lovely! HA!

Ugh, did he really dye his hair the color I think he dyed it? Blue is so not a color to dye your hair, what are you? Emo?! Not talking to him again. He was totally gay anyways."

This is our society that we live it. All these fake labels, generalizations that tag others as something we see as negative before we even meet them. You may not meet anyone at all like this on YWS or even in your school, but they do exist. Just because you wear all black does it mean that you're emo and you self-harm? If you self-harm does that mean you hate God?

All these little assumptions are made. Once someone asked me if I was Emo or self-harmed because my nails were black. People always assume I'm super smart because I'm Asian and that I know the answers to all of their questions. People think that my friend is stupid because she's a blonde. Sure, I may be smart, but my blonde friend, she's an entire math grade ahead of me! Two whole grades above what she would be if she were an average student.

If you diet, does that mean you think you're fat? If you listen to screamo does that mean you're suffering on the inside? If you're adopted do you constantly feel pain from missing your parents? If you're Muslim does that mean you agree with what Osama Binladin did? In fact, I know people that diet just because they want to be healthy. To diet doesn't mean to eat less, listening to screamo doesn't necessarily mean you're hurting, being adopted isn't painful unless others start pitying you, Muslims actually believe in non-violence.

Just because you hear something, doesn't mean you should believe it. That boy talking to the girl earlier, they're in a steady relationship and plan to actually do it AFTER they get married and graduate college. They're actually both virgins.

That boy who dyed his hair? He was tired of being mistaken for his twin and decided to become unique in his own way. And yes, he is Emo. Just like you, he cries and laughs and screams and shouts. Emo is short for emotional, yes, he is, in fact, Emo.

That girl wearing the strange clothes, she prefers comfort over appearance. She knows that people will judge her, at least she's brave enough to wear something that SHE likes. And you know, she's HAPPY. Actually, she's thrilled, that this makes her. Nothing. Like. You.

So why do we label those that we can't understand? Because we're cruel awful beings known as humans. Go agains't the tide for once in your life and do what isn't built into your system. Don't judge. And if you don't, then spectacular! But you still do, even if you don't think you do. If you're truly certain though, then by all means, please, spread the word and stop this awful side of humanity to spreading to the next generation, because soon, we're just all gonna kill ourselves.

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 am
FromWithin wrote a review...

Hello there :)

Nice work ! Truly inspiring and empowering . I think from reading your piece of work, everyone can find that they relate, at least in some way.

Like me for example, because I'm a nerd, ace classes, and wear glasses people assume they can force me to do their homework for them. Which really sucks. And I think your writing reaches out to all people.

Society can truly be horrible, and from the very begging I think that you did a good job showing it's flaws.

Congrats on this strong essay ! :D

AryanaJade says...

thank you its stupid the things people go through.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:51 am
scseaturtle7 says...

That was amazing!!! Thank you so much for writing that!!!!!

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:15 pm
SelenaCraig says...

Really empowering, I think everyone should read this so they can learn to think about things a little harder because nothing is ever what it appears to be.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:19 am
LordGreenleaf says...

Really neat, I agree wholeheartedly!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:14 am
Pompadour says...

Muslims actually believe in non-violence.

I heart this. <3 The truth has just been waiting to be heard.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:53 am
BitterRosemary says...

This is brilliant. I toatlly agree. This happens alot in my high school as well and I agree that it needs to stop. Well done, very strongly worded.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 pm
GreenLight24 says...

I really wanted to read this and I was most certainly correct in my excitement! This does very well to speak towards a large and every inconvenient truth within our society: the existence of labels.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:42 pm
Messenger says...

You got featured? So good! This was so nice and true. It had heart behind it Sushi!

That girl wearing the strange clothes, she prefers comfort over appearance

Dat's me ;)

~Messenger

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:19 pm
Sonder says...

Featured! See, you are awesome! :)

Thanks XD

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:05 pm
Gravity wrote a review...

I agree with this to a point. I think that at some points you go off topic. First you talk about labels, then you go into things about your friend being blonde and how you're asian but she gets better grades than you.

What you started talking about is called stereotyping. Not labeling. The thing about stereotypes is that they are made based off of the majority of a group of people. For example, people assume Asians are smart because countries like China have made lots of advances in technology. The dumb blonde thing is old and outdated, and people don't actually believe that anymore. People assume that all black people are ghetto because that's how many of them act. Not all, but many.

People assume that all Muslims are extremists because sadly, most of them are. The religion Islam itself teaches nonviolence. However, I know people that have gone over into third world countries and have met the Muslims over there. I also know several people who have lived in neighborhoods made up of mostly Muslims. As far as religion goes, their beliefs are fine. As far as their culture goes, they have a history of mistreating women and children. I've seen this first hand and heard the stories from friends. That's the way things are.

Labels aren't right. Stereotypes aren't always correct. I know this better than most. At one point I was on the edge of suicide because of people bullying me. My mom labeled me then. "Crazy". She threatened to put me in an institution if I ever harmed myself again. When I needed my mother, she labeled me. So I get it. But this isn't an essay or a narrative. It's a rant. So I'll review an essay, but I don't see a reason why I should review this. It's not a piece of literature. It is your thoughts.

Sometimes you just need to get your thoughts out there. That's perfectly fine. That's what this site is for. I'm not saying that this not being any particular genre of literature is wrong, I think that just makes it more powerful. I'm just saying that I liked your points although many of them are misguided. So yeah.

Keep Writing.

-Gravity

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:48 pm
Fizz says...

Hey

I'm not going to label this as a review, because I just want to say a couple of things that aren't really related to the writing.

This piece is angry, and I think that what you're talking about is important, but I think you're missing the depth and truth to the whole situation. I think the thing which comes through the most here is your age.

What I would like to know is how you would feel if those stereotypes were true. What would it mean if that couple had had sex? What if they weren't virgins? The point you've made here is that your judgements can be misguided, and that's a good point, but I also believe that whether your judgements are true or not you have no right to make them. I guess what I'm saying is that there are plenty of people who have done stupid things, or things we don't agree with. Judging them is bad regardless of what they have done.

The other side of this I would like to see, is what drives people to be so judgemental? Is judgement really built in to our systems? What is happening inside for the people who judge people so harshly, or take action on their judgements?
You're just skimming the surface here. You write well, and I'd like to see you search deeper, past the anger.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 pm
TheShauzer wrote a review...

Hey sushi :) Shauzer here reviewing,
Was very glad to read another one of your works, and I didn't know you did opinion pieces :) Listen, if I knew how to give that digital thumbs up then I would, but I don't so just know I'm really doing the thumbs up as I type ;)
This piece was nice, no, it wasn't nice. It was exactly what it was meant to be, it was hard hitting, truthful, powerful. It was hitting humanity in the face with your words :) I really enjoyed how you brought back the characters from the start, I guess that's the storytelling part of me :') I liked how you didn't care what you said, it was what you really thought and I can respect that. As this is a review, I will point out a few things I didn't like. I'll warn you, I am a nit-picker when it comes to truly good works. I did not like the way you sometimes used two words too close together. 'spread the word and stop this awful side of humanity to spreading to the next generation' I might have said something like 'spread the word and stop this awful side of humanity FROM passing on to the next generation,' I can tell that you were in a rush as there were some silly amateur mistakes you don't usually make. Like the way I changed TO to FROM... just watch those little things, make sure to read back over. Other than those silly little mistakes and the rarest of sentences that sound just a little bit off - I'm sure you'll find them - this was, as I've already said, a great piece. Not to mention it lets your fellow YWSers know you're a good person!
I liked how you picked a topic almost anyone can relate to, even if we haven't come across any of these people - which I'm certain we all have - we all know of some. I commend you on this piece, well done.
Keep writing, yours in ink.
TS.

I'm so glad that you liked it! In all honesty, I just wrote this from and explosion of passion XD I felt this thing in my gut and wrote this in like, five minutes because I started to get mad. :p I'll definitely go back and fix those things that you mentioned, I don't like using words too closely either XD Glad you found that :p Thanks again for the review :D

TheShauzer says...

No bother :)

You have light and peace inside you. If you let it out, you can change the world around you.
— Uncle Iroh, Avatar the Last Airbender