12+

Prologue: Beckoning Ocean

by SummerBlues

Fall was a season of transience. It was a season of fading colors. It was the season of death. Blossoms fell onto the ground in disarray, and a chilly breeze blew by, lifting them to dance in circles. They swirled, fluttered, then fell again.

It was nature’s reminder that death was always a breath away.

Even the magnificent Nozash Palace looked dull, the ivory walls looked ashen, and the usually gleaming spires of the tower only reflected the gathering clouds above.

Someone was perched on the ledge between the spires, her erected silhouette almost blending in with the long spikes of the palace roof.

No one would want to climb up and risk a fall in this height, but this spot had the perfect view of the ocean.

Today, the ocean was a massive expanse of bitter blue, white and grey. The sea foams rose and fell, and the soft noise they made was like hushed spells one should not, but could not help, listening to.

She had been there all morning, doing nothing but watching the waves chasing each other, her eyes never straying from the horizons. It almost looked as if she was waiting for something to happen. Her expression, though, betrayed not a single emotion.

Her lips fell open to let out a low tune. She imagined the notes tumbling in the air, rising and falling and spiralling skyward, mimicking the movements of the waves. One note struck oddly — she frowned, and tried again —but still couldn’t get it right. It wasn’t that she couldn’t produce the right sound because of her lack of skill in singing, but that she had forgotten how it was supposed to sound.

Trifling through her memory for the right piece of memory that would bring her to finish the song, she came up empty.

It couldn’t had been more than a handful of years, and already, her memory was failing her. Humans were forgetful creatures — not that she was human— though it still applied to her sometimes. Deep down, she had always known that it was futile, trying to hold onto the dead and the loss, as though the memory of them could somehow bring them back to her.

The song was lost; it was only her breath upon the autumn breeze.

It was good to be oblivious for once, to be free from the constant guilt eating at her, to just let herself float in the void.

The gentle whisper of the ocean continued to lure her, it sang a beautiful lullaby beckoning her into their consoling embrace. For a moment, she thought she saw something sparkling in the dull mass of grey and blue.

She took a step forward, reaching out a hand to grasp the soft glow in front of her. It flickered once like coloured glass catching light.

Fly, a voice caressed her mind. Fly to me.

She leaned her body forward, relishing the pull of gravity that threatened to topple her over. Her fingers curling around one of the decorative spikes was the only thing that stopped her from falling.

You could fly, the voice spoke louder, almost urgent.

If she ended it now, there would be no more pain.

Her grip loosened slightly, her body tilting forward to feel the playful tickle of the wind.

Just then, she felt a small tug at her sleeve… it drew her back to the ground. She turned — half expecting to find someone there, but was greeted by air, there was no one. She was alone.

Her eyes returned to the pale blue ocean, the light was gone, and its whisper no longer tangible. It rolled on, an unwavering presence amidst the fickle and transience.

A brief serene sensation washed over her.

Stepping back, she retreated.

Nothing happened that year. Nor the next. Nor the one after the next. And so the years went by quickly with the same figure perching on the same spot gazing at the same sea at the Nozash port.

Her memories grew hazy, like someone had fogged the looking glass that was her mind — old faces blended together, important conversations faded into background noise, even the scent of the people changed — and she was left gazing at the crooked, intangible shapes and figures until they, too, were lost to the fog.

When night eventually fell, scattering the remnants of the daylight into the fading horizon, the figure moved to leave.

It was just another year in grief and darkness.

Hi! Here to leave a review!!

First Impression: Wow this is a lovely place to start things off. Its really capturing the emotions directly and building a ton of mystery around why this woman is doing what she's doing. It's a wonderfully written prologue and I feel like it would very easily grab readers if they chose to read it.

That's a very interesting little paragraph to start things off with. Definitely gives you some nice imagery to think about and that second paragraph starts with a really interesting line that really establishes quite the tone for this one.

Pretty nice descriptions there setting the stage for the scene that is to unfold. Definitely conjures a very vivid image here.

Well that's an interesting bit of development to start a story off with.

That sentence with the humans thing sounds a bit contradictory. Why would she even say that humans are forgetful if she isn't one. Maybe it would make more if she said something along the lines of "sometimes she could be as forgetful as humans" or maybe "whatever her species is, and then forgetful".

Bit of a weird choice of word in my opinion but okay.

I have a feeling this whole thing either has to do with some mysterious magic or her mind both of which would be amazing to see.

This is the sort of thing that tends to play to my emotions because I have a soft for things forgotten across time. I'm definitely starting to get invested in this.

Wow that's just a really sad place to end things. Now I want to know more about who this woman is and why she's standing here year after year. I'm definitely going to look for updates to this.

Overall: Like I said besides that one nitpick I had with the humans thing this is some really awesome work that you've got here. I really can't think of much that would improve this. Great Job!!

SummerBlues says...

Hi Harry thank you so much for your review, it comes at a perfect timing for me because just yesterday I was thinking if I should set aside this story :( I have doubts on whether it is a story even worth telling, and I struggled to finish the remaining chapters with the same touch as I have with this one. Anyway, thanks so much for leaving a review here it gives me a boost to keep going :)

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!!!
I for one think this is absolutely worth telling from what I can see here. :D
Good Luck with your writing!! :D

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:57 am
Shadeflame wrote a review...

Hello SummerBlues! I'm Shade here to review your work today.

I think that this piece was really well written. It made me feel like I was there with that girl, standing on top of the castle roof, staring out to sea. I could picture the scene in my mind, and not many books have made me do that before. I also love the metaphors you put in, like,

Her memories grew hazy, like someone had fogged the looking glass that was her mind

It is just beautiful.

Now, a few grammar problems.
For a moment, she thought she saw something sparkled in the dull mass of grey and blue.

I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be "she thought she saw something sparkling in the dull mass of grey and blue."

Also, your imagery is conflicting. In the part I mentioned up there, you said the sea was dull, and grey and blue. However, after she almost lets go, you say that the sea is light blue. In my experience, light blue and blue and grey are pretty different. I'm not sure if this was intentional or if it was not, but you might want to have a look at that.

Her memories grew hazy, like someone had fogged the looking glass that was her mind — old faces blended together, important conversations faded into background noise, even the scent of the people changed — and she was left gazing at the crooked, intangible shapes and figures until they too, was lost to the fog.

I think it should be "until they too, were lost to the fog."

These were all the problems I found, so good job writing and as I said before, this was a beautiful piece. I would loved to be tagged if you update this.

-Shade

SummerBlues says...

Hello Shade, thank you so much for leaving a review here, the problems you pointed out are very valid, I will make some changes on them later! About the conflicting imagery, I was hoping to illustrate the imagery of a spark against the overall dull colour of the ocean, a glint in the dark that caught the girl%u2019s attention. That %u201Cspark%u201D or %u201Cglint%u201D is like the calling of death, as indicated later in the voice she heard, it dazzled her and made her fell for the death%u2019s charm. I am sorry I am unclear in my deliverance, I will clarify it in the edited version, thanks for pointing this out :) And I hope my explanation makes sense haha. Since I am fairly new to here, I am still trying to play around with the tools, I will see if I can tag you in my future updates :)) thanks so much for the support <3

Shadeflame says...

Don't worry, I understand now that you've explained it. :D

mythh wrote a review...

Hello Summer, I'm Myth and I'll be reviewing this prologue to your novel today.

Fall was a season of transience. It was a season of fading colors. It was the season of death. Blossoms fell onto the ground in disarray, a chilly breeze blew by, lifting them to dance in circles. They swirled, fluttered, then fell again.

Even the magnificent Nozash Palace looked dull, the ivory walls looked ashen, the usually gleaming spires of the tower only reflected the gathering clouds above.

Someone was perching on the ledge between the spires, her erected silhouette almost blended in with the long spikes of the palace roof.

Today, the ocean was a massive expanse of bitter blue, white and grey. The sea foams rose and fell, the soft noise they made was like hushed spells one should not — but could not help— listening to.

I know this is a lot to quote, but I wanted to say that the imagery used here is just beautiful. It's almost like I'm there standing on the ledge, seduced by the waves' charm.

This piece was just so perfectly written. It's inspiring and I'd like to say that you really have a knack for this. You really have nothing to worry about when it comes to engaging your audience with your stories. You're honestly one of the best storytellers I've seen here and I want you to know that that's the best thing I can say about your writing and that means that I as a reader and a critic hold this kind of writing very high.

It wasn't just the imagery, but also the comparisons - the similes and metaphors.

You could lose the comma there, but that's not really what I quoted this line for. I quoted this line because of the comparison used here. It's just a very beautiful thought.

There's also one of the greatest qualities of a prologue right here in this piece.
Humans were forgetful creatures — not that she was human— though it still applied to her sometimes.

Keeping it mysterious. Revealing only enough. This, my dear, is a very hard thing to do, and this feels like you bull's eyed it with your secondary hand. It's just that great a piece.

I honestly loved this and can't wait till you publish the first chapter.

Please take care and keep writing.

Yours sincerely,
Myth :D

SummerBlues says...

Hello Myth, thank you so much for your review, it%u2019s very sweet and encouraging. I am so happy you enjoy this piece, it really eases some of my anxieties about writing:)) Again, thank you so much for your support, I would love to share more with you <3

mythh says...

I'm so glad to hear that. ^~^

Overwatchful wrote a review...

Hello, Stormblessed here! 👋

There is so much beautiful imagery in this story! You did a great job of painting pictures with words. With the story you put in just enough detail to keep my attention, but left out enough that it stayed vague and mysterious. It was very well written, and I can't wait for you to start working on the rest of the story.

Hope this helped! ( I would've put in grammar corrections, but StarlitMind covered all the ones I saw.)

Stormblessed242

SummerBlues says...

Hello Stormblessed! Thank you for the review, I was worried it wouldn't catch people's attention, and you know with prologues being the first thing people read in a book, to be able to hook readers in is very important, so I am very glad it catches your attention:)) Can't wait to share more with you soon!

starlitmind wrote a review...

Again you've shown that you are capable of such beautiful imagery! This was a lovely read, and the descriptions are wonderful. I can really depict images in my mind. You did another wonderful job!
I'd like to point out some grammar things, if you don't mind! :)

"Blossoms fell onto the ground in disarray, a chilly breeze blew by, lifting them to dance in circles."
Insert "and" after "disarray,"

"Even the magnificent Nozash Palace looked dull, the ivory walls looked ashen, the usually gleaming spires of the tower only reflected the gathering clouds above."
This is nice! Insert "and" after "ashen," so it becomes a list/series.

"Someone was perching on the ledge between the spires, her erected silhouette almost blended in with the long spikes of the palace roof."
I think this would be more correct if you said "Someone was perched on the ledge between the spires, her erected silhouette almost blending in with the long spikes of the palace roof."

"The sea foams rose and fell, the soft noise they made was like hushed spells one should not — but could not help— listening to."
If you have two sentences, you need to join them with a comma and a conjunction. I would add "and" after "fell," and I would personally also enclose "but could not help" with commas instead of dashes.

"Deep down, she had always known that it was futile — trying to hold onto the dead and the loss, as though the memory of them could somehow bring them back to her."
I think this would work better if you put a comma after "futile" instead of a dash.

"The song was lost, it was only her breath upon the autumn breeze"
Like before, you need a conjunction, or you can put a semicolon, so it would be like "The song was lost; it was only her breath upon the autumn breeze"

Same thing here:
"The gentle whisper of the ocean continued to lure her, it sang a beautiful lullably beckoning her into their consoling embrace."
And I believe you meant "lullaby"

"For a moment, she thought she saw something sparkled in the dull mass of grey and blue."
Change "sparkled" to "sparkle"

"Her grip loosened slightly, her body tilted forward to feel the playful tickle of the wind"
"Tilted" to "tilting" or you can add an "and" after "slightly,"

"Just then, she felt a small tug at her sleeve, it drew her back to the ground."
You can add an "and" after "sleeve" or just write "... sleeve, drawing her back to the ground."

"She turned — half expecting to find someone there — but was greeted by air, there was no one"
I'd put commas around "half expecting to find someone there" and put a dash after "air" instead.

"and she was left gazing at the crooked, intangible shapes and figures until they too, was lost to the fog."
This should be "until they, too, were lost to the fog."

I hope I didn't come across too harsh; I'm just trying to help! <3

You said that the rest of the chapters don't fit too well with the prologue. No worries! If you want, you can sort of treat this prologue as your "thesis," in the sense that when you have your thesis, it most often changes as you do more research and find more information. As you write your chapters, you can always go back to your prologue and adapt it to make it fit more with your chapters!

I hope this review was helpful. You are an amazing writer, are capable of such beautiful imagery, and I can't wait to read your story! <3

SummerBlues says...

Hello there! Thank you so much for leaving a review here. I find the corrections very helpful, I appreciate it a lot! I think the idea of treating it as a "thesis" sounds nice, I will see what changes I can make to deliver the story better! Your words also encourage me a lot, I can't wait to share my story with you :)

SummerBlues says...

I am struggling to find my writing style for this book that I'm working on, I feel like the rest of the chapters (hopefully i get to upload a few of them here too) don't quite fit well with this prologue. It's hard to write a fantasy story in a poetic way. Any feedbacks are welcome, would love to hear more on what you guys think :)

This looks like a really bad episode of Green Acres.
— David Letterman