z

Young Writers Society


12+

World Within - Chapters 1-4

by SugarApple, BlindingSun


Chapter 1: Erise

“Courage can be as dangerous as a butterfly hovering over a flame.” - Nancy B. Brewer

A girl sat on a chair near the window in her room. She was bored to death, since her mother wouldn’t ever let her go outside after the snow had started. The girl kicked the window. It was so unfair. Erise Stone did not belong inside. She was practically a wild animal. She was starting to doze off, when she suddenly saw a blur.

Erise smiled. Nice to see someone enjoying the cold weather. Her smile quickly turned to a frown after realizing she could be that person. The blur morphed into a girl, probably her age. Erise got up from the chair and leaned closer to the window. The girl turned to face her, her blue eyes piercing through Erise. Erise gasped and jumped back. That was so strange. Even though that girl was very creepy, Erise had this feeling that this girl was...special, different. Maybe even like her. There were no girls in their village who really loved doing adventurous things. Especially none who would play outside when they could be having a tea party with all their friends. Personally, Erise thought snow wasn’t the best thing, but it was at least better than a tea party.

The girl had turned back around, her crimson cloak fluttering in the breeze. Erise had this gut feeling that meeting her would be really amazing. It would probably be more fun than sitting inside also.

Erise tiptoed to the door, careful to avoid her mother, sister, and brother sleeping on a cot near the stove in the kitchen. She put on her leather jacket and boots on, and pushed open the door. It creaked noisily and Erise winced. Why did her house have to be so old?

Erise leapt outside when the door was only half-open, and closed the door cautiously. The girl had not moved at all, standing exactly where Erise had seen her last.

Erise approached her.

“Hey, um, hi.”

Erise smiled at the girl and held out her hand. The girl

looked confused , but shook it. Her hand was oddly delicate like a flower floating in the wind, her grip was strong though.

“Nice to meet you. My name is Erise. Girls typically don’t

play outside in this weather.”, Erise said, trying to start a conversation.

The girl shrugged and looked at the sky. She wasn’t a

talker then. Erise was still determined to find out about her.

“Where…”, Erise started.

The girl had disappeared, vanished into thin air. Maybe she

had gone when Erise wasn’t looking. Still, it seemed unearthly, not to mention rude. Even her little brother, Timorhy, wouldn’t do that.

“Erise Woodvine! What are you doing out there? Get in this

instant!”

Erise groaned. She had known sneaking outside would

receive punishment, but she had thought it would be worth it. Of course, the ‘special’ girl had vanished, without a trace, without saying anything. Erise now had more questions than answers, and, of course, her mother’s future punishment to deal with.

She ran to the door, where her mom was standing,

shivering from the cold. Strangely enough, she was smiling, even though Erise had just disobeyed her.

Erise ducked behind her mother and entered the house.

Timorhy and Erena had lit the candles, illuminating the lavender walls. They usually only lit a few, unless they had company.

Company! Erise’s eyes brightened. It had been years since they had had company. Actual company, not just the nosy neighbours. The door closed, and Erise’s mother put her hand on Erise’s shoulder.

“Erise, I would reprimand you, but Toran from the

Far Lands is coming, so I do not want you want to ruin the mood,” Erise’s mother said, looking her in the eye. “Put on your white fancy dress and then come and help Erena, set the table and arrange things.”

Erise nodded, delighted, and ran to her room. This was so exciting! A person from the Far Lands was always full of riveting stories, and in a boring town like theirs, stories helped anyone get through a long day. Sure, you could make them up, but real stories are never forgotten and never lost their charm.

She opened the closet, revealing many dresses hanging on hangers. Erise didn’t own any ‘manly’ clothes because her mom absolutely forbade them. Erise picked out the dress her mom had been talking about and was about to put it on when she realised the windows were not covered and door was wide open. Erise blushed, closed them, and peeled off her jacket, which she had forgotten to hang. Her dress was untouched by the snow, but still felt damp. Strange. Erise quickly put on the white dress and admired herself in the mirror. The dress was simple, adorned with just a dainty yellow bow. It wasn’t really “fancy”, just neat and sensible, two things she was supposed to be.

Erise opened the door and rushed out to drop dead in her tracks.

The visitor had arrived.



































Chapter 2: Vatessa

“A simple hello could lead to a million things.” - Unknown

The bleak weather filled the air with a feeling of remorse. Wind howled around the empty grounds. Suddenly, the wind died and was replaced by a strange humming sound. Three seconds later, a girl appeared, standing calmly on the ice. Vatessa Evans. Her turquoise eyes scanned her surroundings, taking in everything in an instant. Her eyes rested on a figure at the window of a nearby house.

With a start, Vatessa realised the person, or whatever it was, was watching her, curiously. Vatessa kept her stature, staring back. Immediately, her surgery-enhanced tech-eyes pierced into the figure’s mind, as she took in every detail: practically lives the wilderness; hates synthetic anything; short-tempered; and, of course a dark secret that everyone Vatessa had scanned before kept: ever-protective of a mother, but why so?

Vatessa’s connection was cut short when the figure moved. As the faint sunlight hit the person’s face, Vatessa’s eyes sparked again. It was a girl, who looked a lot like a vampire. Vatessa shuddered. The figure disappeared from the window. Minutes later, Vatessa saw a form moving hesitantly toward her. She stiffened. She was unfamiliar with with the ways of socialising and making acquaintances, and had always remained to herself, a recluse.

The girl came closer and spoke quietly, ”Hey, um, hi.”

Vatessa blinked, unsure how to respond,”Um, hi yourself.” She desperately tried to find a way to escape from a conversation when the girl stuck out her hand, ”Nice to meet you. I’m Erise. Girls don’t typically play outside in this weather.”

What a lovely and unique name, Vatessa thought, still panicking inside. How was she supposed to teleport if this Mortal was standing right in front of her?

Ugh, Vatessa thought to herself. She would

have to teleport. It was the only way to get out. Vatessa closed her eyes and pictured the cold, steel walls of the Compound. In a second, she was whisked away, landing lightly on a metal staircase, the same exact spot from where she left in the morning.

Sprinting up the steps, she pushed open the metal door near the top, let herself inside, and flopped onto the simple, white bed in the middle of the room. She pressed her fingers against her temple, feeling the hard pulse of her heart beating there. She felt confused. Why had TeleScan sent her to that...that barren land, where Mortals lived. Or, were they really Mortals? They could have been the Ancients in disguise.

Vatessa leaned back and sighed. Her life before age seven had been a dull and normal life. She’d gone to school, ate, and basically lived as a Mortal would. Then, the day after her seventh birthday, her life had taken a sharp turn. She still remembered very vividly that day. Everyone, her family and friends, had just finished singing “Happy Birthday” to her, while she beamed as any person coming of age would. Soon after, she’d watched the knife her mother was using to cut the cake slice thru. Immediately, for some strange reason she did not know, visions of killings, stabbing, blood, and murders came into mind. Vanessa shuddered, as she recalled the scenes. She had tried to shrug those gruesome images off. They couldn’t mean anything, right?

She’d returned her attention back toward the large slice of cake in front of her. Eagerly, she took a bite. Immediately, she felt woozy, seeing stars as she swayed back, falling into someone’s arms. Then the world had gone black.

She’d awoken to a pounding headache and in a strange metal room. Machines whirred with life around her. Taking in her surroundings, she sat up slowly. A hand pushed her down gently. Gasping for air and with fear, Vatessa struggled against the force.

“Shhh, young one. You have yet to learn and understand, but now we must give you a drug. It shall only last for a few hours, but those hours are imperative. We need you to calm down and cooperate with us. Please,” a gentle, female British voice said, softly into Vatessa’s ear.

She opened her mouth to make a remark, but was cut off when a bitter taste filled it. Still trying to resist, she fell into darkness once more.

When she had awoken, her eyes felt strangely fiery, snapping from time to time, as did her heart. She reached her hand up to feel her face, but was met with a cool hard metal. Panicking, she felt the other cheek; it was fine. What was going on? Was this a nightmare? Why was she like this? As far as she recalled, which wasn’t much, she’d never been made of metal, only flesh and blood. Was anyone going to explain to her what was happening?

Vatessa zoned back into the present and groaned, still reliving the horrors of that day, so many years ago.

Just then, her wall crackled to life. A hologram of a handsome face, with familiar piercing emerald eyes appeared.

“Hey, Toran. How’s it going?” Vatessa mumbled.

“I’m doing great! Tess, there’s a girl coming to you. Remember, this is your first time as a Mentor. This is just a trial run, so take it easy, but still make sure you cover the key points. I’m sending her to the East Wing, so be there in five,” Toran replied, with a mischievous glint in his left eye.

Vatessa moaned and stood up. “I’m coming. Now, shoo!” She gestured toward Toran to sign off and waved. Immediately, the wall shut off.

“Well, here goes nothing,” Vatessa said, heading toward the East Wing.

























Chapter 3: Erise

“Present opportunities are not to be neglected; they rarely visit us twice.” - Voltaire

The visitor, Toran, was only 15. That’s what Erise thought at least. Toran had emerald green eyes and brown hair. His face was scarred on one side, but otherwise, he was the image of handsome. He was also currently staring at her.

Erise felt color creep into her cheeks and curtsied. Toran

tipped his hat and winked, sending Erena and Timorhy into giggles. Erise shushed them and sent them to the table.

“Umm, my mother…”, Erise stuttered.

“Ohh, sorry, she didn’t come. The door was open and I knew this was the house, so I just came in.”, Toran apologized. “That was rude, wasn’t it?”

Erise tried to come up with a response, but her mother came over just in time to save her.

“Toran, how nice to see you!”, Erise’s mother said, rushing forward from her room and hugging the boy.

Erise sighed and joined Erena and Timorhy at the table.

“Hehe! Toran and Erise, sitting in a tree! K-I-”, they started, in perfect harmony.

Erise shushed them quickly, because Toran and their mom were approaching the table. Erena and Timorhy laughed but kept quiet. Toran took the seat next to Timorhy, and Erise’s mom sat next to Erise. Silently, Erise groaned. It was so annoying since her mother would criticize everything about her during the dinner, afterwards.

“I believe I haven’t properly introduced my family.”, Erise’s mother said, smiling. “Erise, Erena and Timorhy.”

Toran smiled at everyone politely as their name was spoken, and hesitated for a moment before actually speaking.

“Noella, I am sorry, but I must get going. I fear that my Far Lands colleagues will think that something is amiss if I stay too long,“ Toran announced with a sad smile. Erise’s mom looked disappointed but got up.

“Why have you come then?”, she said, threateningly.

“Noella, I must take on an apprentice, and Erise…”

“No, I will not go!”, Erise cried, standing up as well.

It was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for Erise, but apprenticeships in the Far Lands were dangerous. Most didn’t ever return. Erise couldn’t even imagine leaving her family and going. After all, there had been one incident when someone she loved dearly had been killed by a few Far Lands people…

Erise’s mom got up, walked around to where Toran stood,

took him by the shoulder and marched him over into Erise’s room. The door slammed abruptly behind them.

Erise looked to Erena and Timorhy. Erena was frozen, her

eyes tearing up. Timorhy was too young to understand anything, but he could sense that something was wrong. He was pulling at Erena’s sleeve, his brow furrowed in confusion,

“Erena, don’t worry, nothing is going to change. I am not

going. “, Erise said, boldly patting Erena’s shoulder from across the table.

Erena grabbed onto Erise’s hand and gripped it tightly.

Timorhy had gripped onto it as well, his hands were clammy.

Erise turned her head at the sound of the door opening, as

did Erena and Timorhy. Toran was following Erise’s mother to the door. Tears streaked across her cheeks like war paint. Erise started to get worried. Had her mother won? She couldn’t be going, right?

Erise’s mother opened the door, and Toran walked towards

Erise, stopping 1 foot away from her. Erise didn't blush though, because she was furious.

“I am not going, you hear me?”, Erise cried, with a mixture

of madness and sadness. “I am not leaving th…”

Toran was holding a cylinder, the end of which had latched

on tightly to Erise’s forearm. He regretted doing this to Noella, taking her daughter away from her, but no one else could be substituted.

“Drug # 783, a strong sedative.” , Toran mumbled under his

breath. “Good bye.”



















Chapter 4: Vatessa

“You don’t drown by falling in water, you only drown if you stay there.” - Zig Ziglar

Vatessa sprinted down the corridors, dashing around

corners and to the East Wing. Nearing her destination, she slowed and paused to catch her breath and regain her composure. Taking a deep breath, she pushed through the heavy aluminum doors and strode toward where Toran stood.

“Hey,” Vatessa greeted him with a smile. “Where’s the

newbie?”

Toran pointed his chin to a metal door in a

southeast direction. “She is waiting for you in there.”

“Thanks,” Vatessa said, and walked

hesitantly toward the door. Cautiously, she tapped three times and called out,“Um, hello. May I come in? I'm your Mentor.”

A muffled voice responded,“Come in.”

Ok, Vatessa. Control your nerves, Vatessa

thought to herself. Then, she pushed the door open, prepared to say,“Hi, I am Vatessa, your Mentor.” But she stopped short when she recognised the familiar black-haired, pale complexioned girl she’d run into that morning.

“Hey, you’re the one I saw this morning.,”

the girl said, extending her arm out yet again. “Thanks a lot for stranding me.”

“Sorry, for leaving you like that. I wasn't

trying to be rude or anything, but I just, um, realised I had to go and, um, do something.” Vatessa said, awkwardly.

Inwardly, she cursed herself for her lack of social ability.

“Oh, what was it?” The girl, Erise, inquired,

curiously. “Why did it involve you suddenly disappearing? I mean, no offense, but, like, how did you vanish so quickly? Sorry for grilling you, but I absolutely need answers right now. These last few hours have been pretty hectic and chaotic, and I'm tired of going after what I desperately need to know.”

Vatessa looked at her for a moment,

unaware that her surgery-enhanced eyes were making Erise uncomfortable. The girl in front of her fidgeted.

“I understand how you feel,” Vatessa said,

finally. “I can especially relate to you the first time I got here, and was confused. But, unfortunately, we have to cut the chat. Your first day here needs to be an adjustment one from your previous ordinary life to the one you will be living from now on. I need to gather my bag, and I'll meet you back here in five, ‘Kay?”

Erise nodded.

Vatessa slipped out the door and slumped

against the wall, taking in gulps of air. This had been the first time she'd had a “real” conversation with a living person other than Toran.

“Hey, Tess, how was it?” Toran asked,

coming up to her.

Vatessa groaned loudly. “Nerve

wracking. God, I could barely keep from barfing from my nervousness. Oh, stop laughing, Toran, you oaf!”

Toran was kneeling on the metal floor,

clutching his stomach and laughing hysterically.

“Gosh, Vatessa, you make me want to barf!” Toran replied, gulping air.

“Fine, you can do that, but I’m out of here.

One thing I learned during all these years together is that no one wants to be three feet away from you when you vomit.”

“Hey!”, Toran protested, slowly standing up.

“I only barfed that one time…”

Vatessa rolled her eyes and vanished.


























Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 1983
Reviews: 176

Donate
Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:01 pm
sheysse wrote a review...



Hey there! Shey here for a review!

So you've got four chapters here. I understand why, because why waste more points, but it's still weird. It makes reading it odd, since it's not what the reader is used to. So, I suggest uploading them seperately next time.

I think you should work on detailing things more. Description is key to great literature, and it will also make your chapters longer and have more substance. As it stands, a lot of your storytelling is through dialogue, which is okay. However, you need to find the perfect balance.

You also had some grammatical errors, but I think those can be blamed on typos. Happens all the time. XD

Overall, great piece! I look forward to seeing more from you! Keep up the great work!

-Shey




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 190
Reviews: 5

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm
ElikiaKay wrote a review...



This looks very overwhelming all at once maybe split it up so that, you can get the most amount of reviews. Anyway just saw a work with 0 reviews and decided to give my take on it. This will probably mostly be opinions. Because since their is 2 authors I will not be excepting too any errors. :-)

Chapter 1

Starting it off with a qoute is good in my opinion, it gives the reader a hint into the plot, a bit.
The second paragraph for chapter one seems it could use some more writing. Maybe add which room Erise was in or what it looked like outside. Help the reader picture the setting of the chapter. Right now we know about the setting is that their is a girl looking out a window and their is snow outside. I think adding a few things could make the start more captivating.

[Quote]I do not want you want[quote]

I don't think that is written how you meant it.

Throughout the chapter I don't really know what room she is ever in, which makes picturing the story hard. Maybe just at the starting and ending paragraph, add what room she is in.
Overall good chapter. Small but still captivating hook at the end. I like how you (you guys ) left Torah still a bit of a mystery.

Chapter 2

Another good quote at the start. The last one really fit into the story.
Switching around, from character to character can be tricky. But so far you seem to be making it work very well.

[Quote]Sprinting up the steps...[quote]

This sentence is very long and hard too reading. Maybe split it up.

Their seems to be a lot of the work 'said' maybe add some different words in other parts, but just my opinion.

Loved chapter 2 also Torah is now more cryptic then before. A small hook at the end, but still captivating. Half way through I forgot I was writing a review, it was so captivating it kept my attention. Loved this.

Chapter 3


I could not find any thing wrong with this chapter. It was AMAZING I loved it so much! It is by far one of this best thing I have ever read on here! Quote worked so well with the chapter! Amazing work.


Chapter 4

As I said earlier some description. Maybe add a description of the room Erise is in. Or a small description about the size or color of the east wing.
Erise is a bit rebellious so the fact that she just listened to what vettesa and went quite, seems out of character but it's your character. Again just my opinion.
Loved this chapter, the seems like a great start to an amazing story. One of the best I have read on here.

Overall this is the best thing I have seen on here. I had few things to say,but most of that is just my opinion. Great story can't wait for next chapters. (But don't rush them)





Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.
— George Burns