12+

Light Shines Even In Darkness

by Storygirl95

The smooth movement of my hands is soothing, almost compelling me to continue it. The pile of clothes beside me is slowly growing, pastels and pockets peeping out from under the layers. I finish folding the shirt with the tiny dinosaurs, his favorite, placing it to the side. It has to go on top; it’s how it is. I reach for a pair of duck pants, barely even flinching when I hear Ben's voice.

"I knew you'd be here," he says, like nothing could be more true. "You knew I'd be here eventually too."

Of course. Each year it's the same. I'm never anywhere else. It's always this room. The room at the end of the hall. It's locked almost every day, all except for one. Today.

"You should be out with the girls," I reply, ignoring Ben's words. "They'll get bored and start harassing the neighbor's dog again."

"Alicia went home. Izzy’s watching a movie in the living room. She won't move for hours, I can pretty much guarantee."

I don't speak, tucking the hood of a jacket behind the fabric and folding it as well. I pull a plaid shirt from the pile of laundry that hasn't been dirty for three years.

Ben stares at me, and I do my best to pretend he's not here. I don't want to crack. He always makes me crack. I can hold it together when he's not around, fake it enough for Izzy and my family, but not once he shows up. He knows me too well. He can see everything. And the worst part is, he understands. If he couldn't, if he told me to get over it, I could stay strong. But he doesn't, because he feels it too. I can't handle both of our pain.

He doesn't interrupt my folding, knows from past experiences that I need to do this, but he does move to stand next to me. He peers up at the sign above us, made lovingly by my uncle. I hate that sign. It's too perfect. Carved out of beautiful wood and customized blocks, it was a favorite of his. He loved that his name was up there. Jace.

I want to take it down, but I can't. I want to tear the whole room down, but I just can't.

The only thing I can do is tidy up the mess that isn't there, run my fingers across the toys coated in dust, and refold the clothes.

Next is a soccer jersey. The memories of backyard dirt cling to it, the joyous essence of a game now lost and faded.

Ben catches sight of the jersey, and his eyes plead for me to hand it to him. I do, swiftly moving onto a hoodie with cars on it. Ben fingers the smooth fabric, no doubt trying to grasp the images that work desperately to fade from our minds.

If we lose the ephemeral glimpses of the past, I'm not sure we can keep up with the future. I regret not taking more pictures. More videos. I regret not doing more of everything.

Ben's arm brushes against mine as he gives back the jersey, and I hate him for being here. I hate him for always knowing that what I need and what I want are two different things. I want to be alone. I need to be with him. I hate myself for both of those things. For a lot of things.

"We can't keep doing this," he says in a broken whisper. "We can't."

He knows that's not true. That if we stop we'll never be the same, because it'll feel like we let go for the second time. He doesn't even mean his words, but it's what we tell each other since it's what everyone else says.

Time doesn't heal the way people think it does. It may take away the agony of the memories, lessen the nightmares, and allow you to breathe again. But it never stops you from hurting all the way. It can't, and it won't.

My breath hitches, and I stop folding to grasp onto the bedside table. The seemingly mocking stuffed animals on the comforter swim in my vision. It's starting. I knew it.

When Ben's eyes drop, the saline coming from them like it's coming from mine, I clench the wood even harder. I can see the scratch marks from previous years. Guilt begins to overwhelm me, as it always does.

It had been a minute. Just one stupid minute that I'd been distracted. Ben and Izzy were out in their blow up rafts in the reservoir, singing songs. I went to take a video of them. My husband and six-year-old, what could be cuter? I didn't know Jace was awake from a nap on his towel. I didn't know he'd see us out in the water, and want to join us as anyone who's three is bound to. There are so many things I didn't know, all things I should have.

I thought I had it right. I slathered sunscreen on them, made sure Izzy had water wings in the water and that she was with Ben. I even knew CPR because it was something I thought I should be able to do. It didn't help me in the end. It was too late.

"Don't," Ben breathes, startling me. "I know you're thinking about it. Don't."

"If I had just been there," I reply, feeling as if water is invading my lungs too. "If I turned around even a little quicker. God, there are so many things-"

"No," Ben interrupts harshly, and I can hear him choke on his words. "It wasn't you. Not just you, at the very least. We were the reason you were gone. I called to you about our singing. It was me who-"

"No," I answer, repeating his sentiment. "Don't, Ben."

We both know it's foolish to blame ourselves. We know it's not our fault. But with nobody to turn against, we're lost. We’ve never found what it is we're looking for. We don't ever have answers. There is no why for what happened. It just is.

I turn to fold the last few pieces of clothing, setting the dinosaur shirt on top as it should be. I carry the clothes back to the dresser, putting them away with care. Ben watches me as I adjust the stuffed animals on the bed once more, making sure they're "comfortable" as Jace always did.

The silence is deafening. I hate that, too. It only serves to remind me that what was once lively is now crushed. There is no laughter. There are no silly voices reenacting scenes. There's no calling to me to find lost things or to inform me of hunger. Nothing.

"Jace," I finally say, allowing his name to slip from my lips.

This is it. It's where I break. Every time.

"Jace," Ben repeats, his voice shattering too.

I find myself being crushed against a sternum, a ribcage, a neck. I despise it like I do every year, but, even as my stomach churns at my need for Ben's touch and for my vulnerability, I can't stop myself from returning the embrace. Every part of my body molds around Ben's, an attempt to hug away the pain. My arms curl around his neck, my fingers burying themselves in his hair. His face burrows into the top of my head, and I can feel the wetness there as surely as he can feel it in his shirt. There's no point in caring to let go or not anymore.

Time passes. I'm not sure if it's seconds, minutes, or hours. Time doesn't often make sense in this room.

Slowly, carefully, Ben's arms slip from my body. His hands shake, and so do I, but one manages to tilt up my face. His fingers reach up to wipe the tears from my face, my own hands moving to mirror the action for him. The warmth in his eyes drives away the chill I feel in my core, and he presses his forehead against mine with a sense of relief. We've made it through the hardest part once again, survived another year. I let my eyelids fall down as I cherish the moment of solace found in the simple gesture.

The door squeaks, and I immediately become flustered when I see Izzy standing there. The little girl's eyes seem too calm, not confused enough, and she doesn't greet us even after we turn to her and wipe at our eyes in a frantic attempt to hide our sorrow.

We've always tried to keep the dark parts of our lives away from her, to bear the burden of her feelings so she doesn't have to experience them. There's only so much we can do. She was close to Jace, naturally, and I know for a fact she still remembers him even though she won't talk about him often. I think she's worried she'll upset us, even though we've encouraged her to express herself. She's only eight, and it kills me that she carries that with her.

Still, she always manages to bring a sort of vibrancy to our lives. Almost every day of the year, we don't have to feel the despair we do on this one. She brings us joy. She keeps us going. She is our beacon of hope.

I hope she finds those things with us, too. I think she does.

She brushes past us, approaching Jace's bed. She's clutching something in her hand. It's a plastic dinosaur. She places it on his pillow, smiling like she knows something we don't.

"I'm going to give you this," she chirps, seeming excited. "I know dinosaurs are your favorite. Alicia's mom went to the store with us, and I saw him for a dollar in the front section. So I bought him for you. I figured you were getting tired of playing with the same things."

She places a delicate kiss on the dinosaur's head, looking satisfied. She turns to us.

"He's happy now, I know it," she announces, patting both Ben and I on the arm. "You don't need to be sad anymore. We'll all play together again someday."

She beams up at us again, then skips away down the hall.

"Our nine-year-old daughter just gave us grief counseling," I say in disbelief. "I can't even . . ."

"I guess that means we're raising her well?" Ben asks, the faintest hint of a smile on his face.

"I guess so," I answer.

We're silent for another moment.

"She's right, you know," Ben says. "It's pretty sad when someone not even half our age knows more than we do about what to do when grieving."

"I have a feeling she knows more than we do about a lot of things."

"I think so too."

I sigh, feeling the waves of melancholy recede back once again. I'm returning to normal, a much needed change since this morning.

"Come on," Ben suggests gently, wrapping his fingers around mine. "We have things to do still. Lives to run. We can't hang around here much longer before Izzy scolds us about making dinner."

"Yeah," I agree, taking one last look around the room before I close the door. "You're right."

Goodbye, Jace. Next year I'll bring the dinosaur, and hopefully cry a bit less.

Ben places a kiss on my cheek before tugging me along, and I know he's thinking something similar.

"Mommy, I'm hungry!" I hear Izzy call from the living room.

"I'm coming!" I reply, laughing along with Ben at how perfect his prediction was.

I can't help but smile at my family as Ben goes to tickle Izzy for complaining.

I'm not sure I'll ever stop folding Jace's clothes, or being sad on this day, but I think I'm finally starting to see that what I was looking for to find peace all the years is here. It’s right in front of me. It seems to me that as long as I keep my family in my heart, I can get through anything. The way I feel when I hear Izzy's continued laughter mixed with Ben's only serves to solidify that point.

This is my reason for living. My reason for holding each day dear to my heart. My reason for just about anything I do that shows my love for them.

This is my light.

Orange wrote a review...

Sorry for the extremely late review, I had some issues with the internet and I was a little busy with a concert at school! :)

Wow! Your other stories are really humorous and I couldn't help myself but laugh every time Ben gets teased by his amazing and funny wife. And as you master the way of writing humorous stories, I thought you only write humorous stories. But this story...it's beautiful. It's sad and mixed with emotion. It has a sweet side too. The two parents are still grasping hold of the memories of their lost family member. They're still lamenting about the small child's death. It's sad, but the way you bring it out is truly amazing. Your dialogue, characters, and descriptions really suited the sad and dramatic aspect of your story.

I really feel sorry for Ben and his wife. I know they're amazing parents. I know it because I was there to see how fun and caring they were in the other stories.

And I also learned something else from your stories too. Sometimes I just want to be a character in a humorous book because they're always happy and they don't have many problems in life. But you showed me that I was wrong. When I first read your stories about Ben and his family, I thought everything was perfect and they had a really fun life. But as I read the other stories, little by little I understood that they also have problems.
And this story really brought that out in an amazing way. Ben and his wife lost someone really precious to them but they're still trying to act strong. And little Izzy really made the ending amazing and heartwarming.
What I'm trying to say is that we all have amazing times as well as sad times where we just regret the mistakes we did in the past. :) And your stories helped my 12-year-old self to understand that perfectly. I'm going to try to have fun times while I can and also deal with sad situations without running away from them in the future!

Thank you so much Storygirl95, you're stories are truly amazing and I really love to read them! Not only do they give me fun and enjoyment but they also help me to understand about life and our daily tasks.

:D If you ever post a new story, let me know!
Keep writing,
Orange

Storygirl95 says...

Sorry sorry sorry. I'm so latttttttteeeeeeee. Not latte. Late. :P
Don't worry about having a late review. I'm happy when you drop by at all. Besides, as is evidenced above, I'm late in replying haha. School has been both your enemy and mine. :D
Okay! To the review!
In terms of humor, it's usually what I do. Sappy stuff or funny stuff or both. It's almost foreign to me to write sad things, but Ben's family told me I had to write this to help them out. I felt so bad for them. :( You're right, they're good parents. I tried not to write it because it was too sad haha. They made me.
But thank you! I was worried when I wrote this that it wouldn't do the experience of grief justice, so it's wonderful to hear my writing suited the situation.
I can't tell you what it means to me that you've learned something from my stories. I try to make them realistic, but I'm steal very much learning as well. My characters teach me things everyday. It's quite humbling to hear you say that though. :D :D
I think that sometimes we, as people, only see certain aspects of people's life and assume they are always that way. I also think that everyone has good and bad times, and they're always more complex than we see the to be. Life is about getting a mix of good times and problems. You're right in so many ways with what you're saying. We all make mistakes and have sad times, but it's those that make us who we are.
I think your philosophy is a great one to live by. I can tell you when I was 12 that I hadn't figured that out yet. You're ahead of the game. :)
You've got plenty of time to work out the mechanics, you've got the right idea.
Sorry, I'm rambling and getting mushy. It's kind of a problem of mine haha. I'm just really grateful for your support and for how you're willing to share your thoughts with me.
So thank YOU for standing by me and reading my stories. And for your much undeserved but thoroughly appreciated compliments. And now that I'm back in the game, I'll certainly write something soon! I'll let you know as soon as I post.
Thanks again! I love you. <3
P.S. Not in a creepy way haha. :P

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:17 am
InfiniteRectangles wrote a review...

This review is brought to you by InfiniteRectangles

Wow! This story was so beautifully written! I love the symbolism and the way you described things in such a way that I felt like I was there in the room with them. You're very talented at not telling the readers too much at once. You start slow and then build up, and I absolutely love it. However, since this is a review, I feel I should find some constructive criticism for you (you really didn't make this easy :p)

I'll first point out just a couple of grammar errors.

It has to go on top; it’s how it is.

The reason you use a semicolon here instead of a comma is because you are separating two independent clauses, rather than an independent and a dependent.

While you are very skilled at plot development, your sentence structures had a tendency to be the same for long periods of time. This can make your work sound choppy, or not read as smoothly. For example, your fist paragraph consisted of sentences that were of almost identical structure. This can get boring pretty quickly and make the reader lose interest, despite the riveting plot. If you're having trouble knowing what sentence structures to use when, try reading the paragraph out loud. If you have too many pauses or it doesn't read very smoothly, then I would try playing around with your structures a bit.

Alrighty, that is all I have for you. I apologize if this review was not as thorough as you'd have liked. I've been super busy lately. If you need any help with anything, such as sentence structures and such, you can PM me or something, and I can help you out when I have more time (I've been rehearsing for a play! :D)

Anyway, you're quite talented! keep writing and have a wonderful day/night! :D

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:53 am
RubyRed wrote a review...

Hello, Storygirl95. I know you requested a review a while ago but my life's been crazy lately. So, sorry for the late review. I thought this story was so touching. It was focused mainly on the parents and their sorrow for losing their only baby boy. Now on to criticism.

First: The writing style you have is choppy and very modern. I feel like you could change this easily by just adding some conjunctions, gerund clauses, or prepositions at the beginning.

Second: The mother and father don't seem very close. She's very distant from him. If you still want her to be like that I'd make her think something like: "I know I shouldn't be pushing him away but every time I see his face I think of Jace. It's too painful for me to have those memories come rushes back time and time again." Some thing like that so we know she loves him but she's avoiding him because it's painful.

Third: (Which is the last) I'd change the ending like Ellstar said. I'd make it "Light shines even in darkness." just like your title that way it gives it a great kick.

Other than that I'd say this was very good. Just try making things less choppy or if you want your writing to be like that then add a dash instead of a period when you want speech to be interrupted. Anyway, keep writing so I can keep reviewing!

~Keepwriting

AmazingAida wrote a review...

Wow!
This is...amazing.
Your vocabulary is so rich and this story is so well written, I am awed by the sheer ammount of talent in this work, good job!
You've got no grammar or spelling mistakes, so that's good.
I like how you describe every last detail, yet make it short enough so it's not heavy. I also admire the way you reveal the events without straight-on telling, but rather made a slow reveal through the dialogue and the narration.
All in all, I don't think I need to make any major suggestions, good job, keep it up!
I'm not very good with these yet, bear with me.

Storygirl95 says...

Thank you so much! You're very nice to me haha. I've never awed someone before.
I swear, it's everyone's intent on this website to make me emotional with their praise. It's a conspiracy. :P
I'm glad you liked those things! I tried extra hard to keep the slow reveal going without telling you too much at once.
And don't worry about being "not very good" at reviews. You're doing just fine! I'm not that great at reviews either, though I try.
Anyway! Thanks so much for your support and kind words. :D

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:58 am
Sujana wrote a review...

I once said that I would one day wish that I would find a work on here that I couldn't review because it was too good. Either I'm getting much too soft on my expectations of short stories in the ripe old age of 15 years, or God does exist and I've been granted my wish three or four times these past few days. (probably the former, but still.)

In its essence, you have almost no grammar/spelling mistake on this, so I commend you for that. That's fantastic.

This story reminds me of the one short film I saw with one actor in it (Andrew Scott) telling a story one could call similar to this one, and if you'd like to know that short film is also probably in my top five favorite films anyway. What I'm saying is I think I have a reason for balling up and bawling on the floor because of your story other than because I've become feeble and weak in my old years. Still, even if I didn't, I can't for one-second praise this any less than I am now, which is probably annoying you because you need a critique and not a crazy person screaming "OMG UR SO GOOD WRITE MOR PLZ!!!1". But really, thats just how it is. The pace was wonderfully slow yet never boring, the mystery of what happened was revealed beautifully, the show don't tell elements scar the reader for life, the main couple are fantastic and always feel close even though they only share a couple of words, and when revealed the tragedy is absolutely devastating, making the hope spot in the end all the more satisfying. This was perfectly done, so what I'm going to say below here are only suggestions and not anything I think are problems in this story (because we have to have a review and I must say something that'll at the very least give you some insight to your work).

The first minor suggestion I had is probably limit the children here in the picture. You mention two daughters if I'm correct, Anastasia and Izzy, but only Izzy seems to appear in the end and even then she played her part more as a figure of hope rather than an actual character. I've read briefly on your wall that this might've been a continuation of another short story (which I'd adore to read but will probably not review if it's as good as this), so maybe they played a bigger role in that one rather than this one, I honestly wouldn't know. Still, worth mentioning.

The second and last minor suggestion is that theme you're using by the ending--light shines even in darkness. While I will admit that's a little cliched, the story justifies it, yet at the same time it's doing that by completely ignoring it. There's no mention of it in the middle of the story, no character monologue saying "I feel like a blind woman with working eyes; I can see the sun, yet I can't remember it's color" or something along those lines. It seems to have only appeared in the ending, which somewhat cheapens it, makes the last line less powerful.

But less powerful doesn't mean weak. In fact, this wasn't at all weak, even when it drops slightly at times.

Wonderful work,

--EM.

Storygirl95 says...

You know, I'm not even sure what to say here. It really frustrates me that I can't convey to you just how grateful I am for this comment. You're making me tear up a little. I'm not joking. You're so incredibly kind. To say such a thing in your opening line . . . well, it makes me overly emotional for sure.
To be honest, I was a bit worried about this story. They say to "write what you know", and that makes me nervous because I only know random animal trivia. I wanted to give their story the writing it deserved, to show what this meant to them, but I was worried I couldn't do it justice. You greatly relieve me, and I thank you. :D
You're certainly not annoying me, so don't worry about that haha. But I really like critiques too, so I don't get annoyed by that either.
I've been working on my show don't tell too haha. I'm so so happy you think it's beautifully done!
I'm sorry I scarred you for life and made you cry? I mean, it's kind of a good thing too. Still sorry. :P
About the Anastasia thing, I meant the animated movie. But since it's not imperative I use that one and can totally see why you thought that, I just changed it to "watching a movie."
Anyway! Really, truly thank you sooooo much for stopping by to read this and for being immensely sweet. You've more than made my day, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that!
P.S. I can't tell you if the others are as good, I'm never sure, but I can say they're much more light-hearted if that matters.
P.P.S. Can you tell me the name of the film? I'm interested in it. :)

Sujana says...

Sea Wall, I think. It's only set in one room with a guy telling a story, but it's pretty cool.

Storygirl95 says...

Cool! I'll be sure to add it to my movie list. :)

Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato