z

Young Writers Society



A Rainy Soundview-Something Street (Revised)

by StoryWeaver13


It’s a rainy Soundview-Something Street upon Gig Harbor,
a swollen sky of a semi-precious greys that
clouds of steel wool have woven, shrinking in the wet sky and
pulling them closer to Earth’s shivering skin.

Silly, I think of what you would have said, that this day is
“lit’rally wonderful,” but this was years ago, when we were
somewhat-more-than-almost-friends, in the mind of
a sunny day when I turned sixteen andfrowned upon
my capacity to miss you, despite all efforts.
We stitched together ill-fit smiles and said goodbye.

My watch and chilling coffee tell
that time is lingering hesitantly,
and perhaps I’m just impatient with the fear
that the you I knew exists no more.

The sky rains down see-through sterling diamonds
that wash into condensed pools in the sidewalk’s divots,
creased corners like the edges of your smile.

And there, I see you coming, looking older, a stranger with
your hair dripping with precipitated jewels of the sky,
and beneath this, your side-creased smile sways -
and I ask you how and who you are, and as you whisper 
“Lit’rally wonderful,” our stitched-up smiles accidentally unfurl.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 pm
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Hullo StoryWeaver!

This is a lovely little poem! It’s a little clunky in bits and I think you need a look at your wording, but you've got a veritable something here, there’s not even a skerrick of a doubt about that.

First stanza: I dislike “Soundview-Something Street” intensely. It just sounds silly, is it really “Soundview-Something”? It shouldn't be, make your people name things proper names. I don’t mind the alliteration at all in this stanza, I didn't even notice it until my eye caught Aley’s review. I do think you should drop “a” and the s on ‘greys’ though in that second line, they mucks up the rhythm of the line. I’d also lose “them” in the fourth line because it’s unnecessary and your flow works much better without it.

Second Stanza: second line should use “that” rather than “this” the second use of this indicates the present still and we need to make the break clearer for the slow folk like me. Fourth line “and frowned”.

Third: A good solid stanza, nothing to add here. Though you may want to nix “the” next to fear in the third line and add a comma to the end, in the interests of rhythm.

Fourth: Just lose this completely you’re you’re using the space and filling it with pointless guff. I understand the purpose of the guff but that doesn't make it any more tolerable. I know you want to show a little bit more waiting and much more random angsty worry. And that the rain and his smile are both so connected, but it’s far too over done. The diamonds, the condensed pools and creased waters are all just too much to bear, really. Absolutely nothing is lost from taking this stanza out of your poem.

Fifth: No, precipitated jewels, just no. That’s not how people talk or think. Remember your narrator is just a person like poets are just people, use real words that real people use for images. The ending is beautiful. Other than the jewels which seriously must go, this is very straightforward and lovely.

You have done wonderful work on this poem as a whole. I enjoy the way you've set this story out, I think you've got a really sweet poem. I do think you want to consider your line breaks, but otherwise its lovely.

Thank you for the read. Hit me up if you’d like to talk,
~Pen.




User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:00 am
Aley wrote a review...





It’s a rainy Soundview-Something Street upon Gig Harbor,
a swollen sky of a semi-precious grey[u]s[u] that
clouds of steel wool have woven, shrinking in the wet sky and
pulling them closer to Earth’s shivering skin.
For an open of a poem, this is a lot of important things to have that many things with the same starting letter. I have been told before that my work does the same sort of thing and I was reminded, as I will now pass along to you, too much of a good thing is still too much. This will be my only comment on alliteration.

I can't say I completely understand where you're going with the second stanza. We have a person who is missing someone who has an obviously unique dialect to the speaker. The speaker is frowning at her ability to contain her missing the leaving individual. Then at the end there is this beautiful line which draws me right back into the poem after feeling like an outsider to this world.

When I read the last line of the third stanza I completely missed the in front of you. My brain is programmed to miss these determiners ('the, a, etc.), and it makes the sentence confusing. I would suggest marking the phrase "the you" off with something else extra to draw attention to the fact that it is not just you.

So we have steel diamonds? Diamond is harder than steel, so which is it that you want? Pick one and avoid mismatching things which are related so closely like diamonds and steel. It is a little jarring here. The rest of the stanza goes wonderfully back into the poetic voice you have.

Ah, now there is an appropriate use of alliteration. She stopped smiling? I would think that instead of unfurling, they would unite.

Alright, those are my reading comments. Now for the the hard things.

First thing first, it is a pain in the butt to say 'Gig' when you have no reference for if it's supposed to be Jig, Gij or Jij, or gig. If you don't quite understand the differences, I'd be happy to explain them later. Either way, this piled on top of the slippery sounds of the succulent steaming esss is a bit too much. I would suggest changing the name of the street, and the town. It will be easier for a reader to understand a name that they are more familiar with, along with getting rid of some S's in the first paragraph.

The points I underlined in the first paragraph are things that don't quite fit together. A and grays doesn't sound right. "a semi-precious greys" To break this down linguistically speaking, we have a determiner, adjective, and because we have a determiner we need a noun, which in this, is grays. The determiner a refers to a single item. It could refer to a single set of items, if the items are considered a set, but the set is singular, like a group. Putting the plural S on grays does describe the sky better, but you have to change the determiner, or, as I would suggest, take it out. Steel wool is a little awkward because my brain automatically thinks steel is the noun, but steel is being used to complement wool, the real noun. Personally, I don't really like the picture of steel wool weaving anyway. I weave and having something floppy and pokey like steel wool weave would be very difficult. It would constantly be getting caught on the yarn. Having steel, a smooth substance, weave, is actually more relate-able for me in that case.

The other thing about the first paragraph is it doesn't seem to be saying much. It's almost like you're just writing for the S's benefit. We have a town, and in that town there is a beautiful gray sky. The gray sky is raining. It's a great set up, but it doesn't bring us into the story. It just tells us about the setting. I would think with your talent, you can do that while putting some form of action into the same stanza.

I don't like the second stanza's open. I love the end, but the opening few lines don't make much sense to me. I stop disliking this stanza around the time when you have "and frowned" because I read "A-frowned" and have to reread it, which breaks me out of the original train of thought. What I dislike about it is probably one of the things you wrote this poem for. "lit'rally wonderful," Now I don't pick a fight with that you're expressing his dialogue as literally as you can, what I pick a fight with is where you put the ', Personally I say "li'rally" and cut out the T, but you're having this individual keep the T, and slur the E out. To me that makes it awkward. You could even do Li-rally to show a pause in the word. The first time I read it, I read lit rally, like a rally for literature. It took me reading wonderful to pause, go back, stare at the word for a while, then move on shaking my head. Also, why do you choose to say the rest of the sentence like that? Tacking everything together in one sentence makes it seem like the only time he ever said that was when the speaker was sixteen while it was sunny. It isn't sunny today, why would he say the day was wonderful if he only said it on sunny days? Do you see my conundrum? I love the way you express the relationship, but there need to be a separate idea for when he says that, and make sure you're sure about how he says it, and when you are beginning to talk about the past.

The next paragraph doesn't bother me too much, but there is something I don't understand about your symbolism and I'd like to know if it is my thought process which messes this up. If her coffee chills while she's thinking about this, then time has left her in the dust and it has had time to chill, so why is time lingering? Why is time hesitating when it has long since passed her by to chill her cup? It seems like time would linger if she was thinking back on something long and it has really only been a few seconds, not that it has been a short memory and a long time has passed.

I already talked about the sterling diamonds. It really is a unique image, but confusing. I already talked about the end as well.
So there you have it, a long review for your work. I hope you enjoyed my comments, or at least I hope you liked the feedback about your beautiful work. It really is a well said piece, it just has some glitches where I think you might have gotten carried away with the words instead of the meaning behind them. I know I typically will have that problem with things when I am too engrossed in the story. I hope you revise it so that it doesn't pause other readers too, and keep writing. I love your imagery.




User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 520
Reviews: 30

Donate
Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:37 am
constantia says...



Gosh, this was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I'm a sucker for metaphors and analogies, and this was done so wonderfully. There was a lovely balance between descriptive narrative and descriptive metaphor, making your poem flow easily.

I don't know if you'd intended it, but the way in which you maneuvered the cloud/sky metaphor throughout the poem made it almost seem like this was going to end prettily for the subjects. Which it didn't. And I love the contrast in that.

Jeez. I think you've reduced me to an embarrassing puddle for this poem. Haha I would go into giving some sort of constructive criticism, but I'm too enraptured to even want to look at it so keenly. Haha

Keep it up! I loved it. (Obviously.)

xo gummies.





Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
— Mark Twain