z

Young Writers Society


12+

Honour.

by StoneHeart


Never seen and never known,

ever hated to the bone.

One will see and know it well,

one will see and in it dwell.

I have fought and I have killed,

but always there is something there,

something I knew, I felt, I breathed like air.

It tells me when to go,

when to stop, what to know and what to not.

Once I saw another man,

a mind-less, heartless, boundless man.

Had he not, what I now held?

Hid he not where I now dwelled?

“Burn in fire! Burn in fire!”

He screams and rants with endless ire.

Why is there something of which there's no need?

In a world where you find no weed?

Do we now you?

Do we not?

Without, I feel my soul will rot,

I guess that I'm alone now, lost to hold a dying vow.

Lost to stagger and to scream,” why cannot you see what I mean?”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
433 Reviews


Points: 13351
Reviews: 433

Donate
Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:47 pm
TakeThatYouFiend wrote a review...



Love the old English! (*hums Rule Britannia*)
O.k. I may be slightly bias to old English-what with my Shakespearean/Dickensian writing style, but I still like it. The rhyme scheme is good-generally something I would find harder than say ABAB. The only time it seemed at all forced is the fourth line. I think that may be due to slight underpunctuation, so you may want to add a couple of commas.
Very well done, hope this helps,
Take That You Fiend!




User avatar
69 Reviews


Points: 893
Reviews: 69

Donate
Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:21 pm
WillowCutz wrote a review...



Hey it's me Willow C.
I apologize in advance for my personality.
First off I found this poem a little weird. I mean what was with the screaming crazy guy, and the old english? I mean I guess that's your style, but I think I made it really hard to understand.
Then there's the rhyming sceme is a little off putting. I don't really like rhyming on a general basis, but to realy make a good rhyming sceme you need to have a regular pattern. Not rhyming where ever it feels fit.






Ha, you're not the first to say that XD But thanks.

>> and I'm so weirder than you <<





Ha, you're not the first to say that XD But thanks.

>> and I'm so weirder than you <<





I could win in a weirdness competition.



User avatar
159 Reviews


Points: 2117
Reviews: 159

Donate
Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:05 pm
Skydreamer wrote a review...



Hey, here to finally do that review! I hope it's worth the wait. :P

So I'll try to use more quotes this time!

First Stanza

This was an interesting start, the two feelings that I got from it were curiosity, and wonder. I wonder how someone can dwell in something they had once hated, but I guess once one sees something in the right light I guess it changes everything. That's how I took it.

If you didn't mean that I would suggest you change the last two lines quite a bit. I don't know how it fits in with the rest of the stanza.

Second Stanza

I felt, I breathed like air.


I have a suggestion for this one, just the word in. "I breathed in like air," -- I suggest this because the person is breathing in the air, and reading it it contributes to the flow. But this is subjective to my view because it could work as just "breathed" that said though, I do suggest you read it over and see for yourself.

It tells me when to go,

when to stop, what to know and what to not.


I think that some lines could be tweaked a little bit. Here are my suggestions:

"It tells me when to go,

and when to stop,

what I can know, and what I cannot."

Again the ultimate decision is up to you, but I just felt "what to know and what to not" was a little strange and I tried to keep up with what I felt you were trying to say.

Overall though on this stanza, I thought you did a great job! It held a lot of meaning, the person was being controlled, that gives some insight on the situation.

Third Stanza

Hid he not where I now dwelled?
(Note: I don't think that dwelled is a word, but I am not so sure because sometimes this spell-check doesn't know all the words.)

Did would be my correction.

Why is there something of which there's no need?


I don't exactly know what you mean by this. Also, mainly I felt this was too jutted. It stuck out way too much and had no rhyme with what you had written previously. Remember poetry has a lot to do with rhyme. And I think it's important you take another look at it.

And again the last line is quite difficult for me to understand, especially what it has to do with the poem. For so far you've been talking about someone who was "bad" because of something telling him what to do. Weed, usually has a connection with something bad, and that said, there should be weed, no? I am just not sure exactly what you meant, sorry!

Overall though the first half of this stanza was well written. I liked especially how you put quotes in there because I am the type of person who likes putting quotes. I find them entertaining. They sometimes take poetry to the next level, and personally I felt it did that for your work here, so good job on that.

Fourth Stanza

Do we now you?
I believe you meant know but it was probably just a typo.

Without, I feel my soul will rot,
I would suggest: "Without you"

But that's up to you, I just felt that you meant a specific person due to your start "Do we know you?"

The ending was quite fascinating, and actually I like it. The mystery in it is not too confusing, yet confusing enough. I understand it, and the flow is nice, and the words you used were nice as well. I have no suggestions for the last part. But I do have to say that a quotation mark is not on the right word (the "why") and the "Why" needs to be capitalized. Other than that I really liked this stanza and deem it my favorite.

So, overall, I really liked this poem! I understood it more than the previous one, and the flow especially towards the end was good. Great job on it, and please do let me know if you have anything else that you want me to review. I'd be glad to do it. Also, take what you want, is my motto, but I do hope you take some of my advice.

--Don't stop dreaming, or writing! [Edited]






Another super-review. You are the best!



User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:59 pm
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hey Neth! Here to review as requested (sorry for the delay!)

What I liked about this poem was most of the language you used as I thought it contributed towards some fantastic imagery. Also, from the language I can tell there is quite a strong message here; now I've never been good at analysing poetry but I think that the message here was really good and quite dark.

What I thought could be improved is that firstly, my first impression of this poem was that it was a bit too fast-paced, and when read it seems there are quite a few forced rhymes. I personally think there is nothing wrong with having rhymes in a poem, but I think these are a bit too forced. Also, it is very obvious that the flow is messed up. To sort this out, I'd say read it out loud to see where it doesn't really read very well, then count the syllables in each line and try and make them similar, I've found that this has really helped me in the past :)

Another thing, there's a line I'd like to pick up on.

I have fought and I have killed,
but always there is something there,

The twp 'there's in this don't actually make sense. As in the line doesn't make sense, and it really doesn't read that well! I thought it was something I should mention.

Lastly, I really liked the layout! I thought the fact all the stanzas weren't the same length was really cool and really added to the poem.

I hope this helped! Poetry reviews aren't really my strong point but I tried my best! PM me if you have any questions or if you'd like anything else to be reviewed.

Keep Writing!
-Arc x






lol arc, it was a great review, thanks! The first suggestion I shall, of course take! The second one I'll look into as well :P

Thanks again!





lol arc, it was a great review, thanks! The first suggestion I shall, of course take! The second one I'll look into as well :P

Thanks again!





lol arc, it was a great review, thanks! The first suggestion I shall, of course take! The second one I'll look into as well :P

Thanks again!



User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 261
Reviews: 23

Donate
Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:11 am
pensword wrote a review...



Hi, a very nice poem, a really creative idea to personify honor. Nice job, I think the last two lines were my favorite. They had a lot of violent elegance that not many people can capture in two lines. I have to admit, I'm a sucker for the AA BB rhyming scheme, and you did very well with it. However, you changed it every other stanza, and it kind of tripped the flow up a little bit.

Really nice poem, keep up the good work.






lol, the tripping up was intentional!



User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 pm
dark wrote a review...



Nice poem. The rhymes were executed very well. Its perfect flow and meaning with this poem has capivated me. You have talent where that is concerned for sure. A truly "Honourable" poem you have created. Then comes the man out of nowhere screaming "Burn in fire," Where does he come in? What's his purpose? Why does he exist? When a poem has enigmas contained within it, it always makes me love a poem more than before. Keep up the great work!
~Dark






O.o Thanks.



User avatar
122 Reviews


Points: 249
Reviews: 122

Donate
Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 pm
aouther2b wrote a review...



Hi there. What an interesting piece you have written. I like it a bunch so I am excited to review it.

What I liked:

1. The rhyming. Though you jump from rhyme scheme to rhyme scheme I am actually not bothered, but rather captivated by it. It drew my intrest and helped with the flow and meaning of the poem.

2. The imagery. Like the rhyme its inconsistancy draws me in. I love the images you put out about the man and sitting there. Though there could be more I think you did really well with what you have put in.

3. The diction. The words you chose to use and the order you wrote them in is very unique and it works well because you don't go switching back and forth.

What I didn't like:

1. The inconsistancy with the stanzas. I am not saying all the stanzas should be of equal length at all, but the way you have formated this the flow is disrupted as your stanzas get longer. Some lines here and there should have been split up. For a smooth flowing poem the stanzas either need to have a creative way of dealing with length or need consistancy, otherwise the flow is disrupted.

2. The man. I am not sure what the purpose of the man you brought up in the poem is. I have mulled it over in my head for a while and I still can't place a finger on it. Why bring in this character if you cannot have him symbolize something that every body can see. He may mean something to you in the poem but you may need to work a little bit more on conveying his purpose to the reader.

Overall:
This poem is very unique, you don't find many like it on this site. Keep the reader in mind when your writing though. Great job and Keep Writing!




dark says...


You can't jump to different rhyme schemes in a single poem. A rhyme scheme is the pattern of rhyme of the whole poem, and each poem can only have one.





<3 Thanks author!

For your objections . . . well.





Usually I'd be with you on the first objection, but I was feeling random. Don't take it as part of my style.

For the second . . . well, what's a killer without honour or code?




This report, by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read.
— Winston Churchill