12+

the sky gardens

by StellaThomas

The sky stretched out for a million years ahead of her. The stars gathered in clusters, pale streaks of the galaxy against the perfect black that glued the universe together. They surrounded her on all sides except for the wasteland underfoot.

Each step she took cracked new lines in the tough, impacted pavement. She wondered how long it had been since someone walked across her tiny section of the expanse. A hundred years, or maybe more.

There was no one in sight. There were no trees, no breaks on the horizon, just cold hard ground and the stars, gazing down on her.

She adjusted her pack, and continued to put one foot in front of the other.

This dead place had no surprises when it came to her footing, it was easier to travel at night and build her shelter against the blistering, unrelenting sun during the day. Days were even lonelier, only her and the parent star, admonishing her for her sins.

Forty-seven days, they told her. The wasteland had once been a jungle, but since a war centuries ago, any growth here had shrivelled up and died and left the dry, cracked skin of the earth bare to the sun. If you were insane enough to try to cross it, it would take forty-seven days.

It transpired that she was exactly insane enough. This was her twenty-eighth day. Every purple dusk, the sky gaping in the most glorious array of colours, she sat cross-legged on the cracked earth and convinced herself she could manage another day.

Every day her pack got a little lighter, her muscles a little leaner.

It was a pilgrimage, in one way. She was atoning as she walked. But she was also walking towards something better.

The stars that shone the brightest were the constellations she learnt in her childhood, birds and heroes and kings and queens, joined here by a million others whose stories had never been deemed important enough to tell. She would spend the middle portion of every night making up the stories for the lesser beings of the sky: the subjects of celestial monarchs, or choirs serenading them. Her favourite thought was the tiniest stars were bees, pollinating the sky gardens, keeping the brightest and most beautiful stars glimmering. 

Stars dipped right down to the horizon on every side. The moon was a bright white crescent, high up above her. The exact same moon as had been hanging over her village when she left.

She would miss her mother and father. She would miss her sister – but her sister wouldn’t miss her. The village would quickly forget her and her reputation would be solidified: a wanderer, a girl with too much stardust in her eyes.

So be it. She was off to find a new life. A new village, maybe, or a city, or a ship.

She liked the idea of living on a ship, on going on those five, ten, fifteen year voyages through the galaxy. Starlight was peace. It was simple, it didn’t ask anything of you.

Everything else was chaos.

It was time for a break. She spread-eagled herself on the flat, fingers digging into the bone dry dust, staring up and the indigo of the sky transformed itself into a whole new colour spectrum of purple and blue and pink, the pinpoints of light scattered on its surface like droplets of white paint.

She had always felt so lonely at home. That was probably why she did what she did. But here, she had millions of friends. Every star had its own system. There may be people living on any of those planets. Billions upon billions of opportunities for her to make new connections, if she felt like it. Fathomless possibility stretched tight over the dome of the sky. She reached her fingers towards the horizon, imagined brushing against it.

She hadn’t spoken a word in twenty-eight days. She had groaned and grunted taking her boots off at night, rubbing the blisters for the first week, until her feet learnt to bear weight of her sins. Now they were hard and calloused, and filthy, and they made her smile

The tiny hydration pills she spent most of her money on had meant she didn’t waste valuable pack space on water. But she was looking forward to a shower, to wiping the grime and sweat from her body.

Not yet.

She ate a little, then stood and stretched and tramped on.

She thought that a month in, surely she would be bored, half-ready to turn back were she not already halfway to the other side of the wasteland. But the truth was, she never wanted it to end. She never wanted to say goodbye to this sky, to this perfect vastness where there was nobody else to bother her. No parents to disappoint. No brother-in-laws to seduce.

No mistakes to make, because there was only one choice. Put one foot in front of the other.

A port shrugged up to the wasteland on the other side of the map. She could wash up there and get a ship to the city, where she would seek transportation off-planet. She estimated that it would be another ten days before the silhouettes of jungle and mountain appeared on the far horizon.

She wasn’t sure how that would feel.

A part of her just wanted to stay here forever. To be alone.

This part of the night, no matter how hard she tried, devoted itself to unwanted memories.

His breath had been hot on her neck as he whispered how she felt like an adventure.

(It was an accident, the first time, she still solemnly believed that. But the third time, the fiftieth time, it was harder to explain).

She wasn’t certain who kissed whom first, only that they had collided in a messy, desperate, passionate way without warning.

(Over time, it only got messier, more desperate, more passionate, and she spent more nights awake, staring at a blank ceiling, wondering how to defeat this monster they had created).

She was certain, however, that she was the one who fell asleep first the day her sister came home early, and found them in a tangle of sheets and sleep and regret.

(If he fell asleep first, she would sit up and keep vigil, read a book or a map or watch the sky, making sure nothing as horrible as her sister walking in would happen).

They banished him from the household, of course. She was a bigger problem. She was still their daughter. They still loved her, even though she heard her father say to her mother, but my dear, you can hardly blame her. You know her. There’s nothing between those ears but space.

So space was what she was setting out to find.

One foot in front of the other. Each step was one further away from the messiness of humanity, and deeper into the wonderful sterility of space.

She had forgotten what it was like to talk, to form words on her tongue and sing them into being. She would have to learn again when she reached the other side, if she planned to get passage on a ship. Hopefully a quiet one, hopefully in a position that didn’t need her to talk too much. She could be a good navigator, she liked maps, and numbers, and they just keyed their findings into the ship mainframe.

Perhaps she would find someone she liked to talk to. Perhaps she would find someone with whom she liked to be silent. Perhaps it would be someone who didn’t find her so alien, who didn’t think wanderlust a sin, or a love of the unknown an exotic thrill. She considered, briefly, what it would be like to make a new friend, or a new family.

She didn’t know. People were unpredictable.

Stars weren’t. Stars were history lessons from light years ago – a constant, unchanging, distant. Stars didn’t care when you slept with their husbands. The stars welcomed you with open arms anyway.

She turned in a slow circle and appreciated her surroundings again.

Yes. Perhaps there were new people waiting for her to finish her atonement, who would forgive her.

Or perhaps there were just stars, and she was entirely content at that notion. 

fantasywestern wrote a review...

First of all, I love your writing style, it's incredibly smooth and beautiful, and you don't use too much description to bog down the story. It fits in with the story itself, considering the content of it, and the loneliness the protagonist is facing. Not using dialogue in a piece like this make it work ten times better than if you had included dialogue at some point.
Another thing I really enjoyed about this piece was the idea of atonement and the walk across the wasteland as a confession of sorts. It's a unique feature I haven't come across before, it's really quite refreshing in a story like this.
There isn't really much to critique in the piece, just that there is perhaps too many sentences beginning with "she". Reforming your sentence structure every now and then helps avoid repetitiveness and feeling like you're re-reading the same sentence over and over again.
All in all, a descriptively and narratively stunning piece with a beautiful story and a clear, set goal in mind for the character. Kudos.
Keep writing, you have incredible talent.

Tue May 23, 2017 12:48 am
papillote wrote a review...

Hi, Stella. I loved this story. There wasn't much happening but it was just enough. Perfect.
You make small mistakes here and there, especially when it comes to punctuation :
« Every day[,] her pack got a little lighter, her muscles a little leaner. »
« The stars that shone the brightest were the constellations she [had] learnt in her childhood, birds and heroes and kings and queens, joined here by a million others whose stories had never been deemed important enough to tell. She would spend the middle portion of every night making up [] stories for the lesser beings of the sky[, those] subjects of celestial monarchs, or [like?] choirs serenading them. »
« The exact same moon [] had been hanging over her village when she left. »
« She liked the idea of living on a ship, [of] going on those five, ten, fifteen year voyages through the galaxy. »
« It was time for a break. She spread-eagled herself on the flat [the flat what?], fingers digging into the bone dry dust, staring up and the indigo of the sky transformed itself into a whole new colour spectrum of purple and blue and pink, the pinpoints of light scattered on its surface like droplets of white paint. »
« There may be [might have been?] people living on any of those planets. »
« Now[,] they were hard and calloused, and filthy, and they made her smile. »
« The tiny hydration pills she [had] spent most of her money on had meant she didn’t waste valuable pack space on water. »
« She [had] thought that[,] a month in, surely she would be bored, half-ready to turn back were she not already halfway to the other side of the wasteland. »
« (It was an accident, the first time, she still solemnly believed that. But the third time, the fiftieth time [were] harder to explain).
« She wasn’t certain who [had] kissed whom first, only that they had collided in a messy, desperate, passionate way without warning. »
« (Over time, it [had only gotten] messier, more desperate, more passionate, and she [had] spent more nights awake, staring at a blank ceiling, wondering how to defeat this monster they had created). »
« She was certain, however, that she was the one who [had fallen] asleep first the day her sister [had come] home early, and found them in a tangle of sheets and sleep and regret. »
« They [had] banished him from the household, of course. She was a bigger problem. She was still their daughter. They still loved her, even though she [had] heard her father say to her mother, but my dear, you can hardly blame her. You know her. There’s nothing between those ears but space. »
« She turned in a slow circle and appreciated [admired?] her surroundings again. »
I love how everything you wrote about your main protagonist was both very generic and enough to develop her into a fully fleshed out character. I especially like what she remembers about sleeping with her sister's husband. It's obvious that she regrets it but she doesn't get all emotional about it and she didn't let it eat her up.
And I can relate with her love of her family and the way it's not enough to make her feel like she fitted there.
I hope you will write more about this protagonist and her adventures.

Snoink wrote a review...

Hi Stella!

My favorite part of this story is the descriptions of the rugged terrain that she is traversing across. It's really cool and very much science fiction and I kind of adore it. I think my favorite part of it is how much color you infused with this, which makes it seems all the more wild and vivid and strange. So, really cool!

I think the thing I would probably expand on is the background story. She seems... oddly detached from the entire backstory of this? If that makes sense. Like, the brother-in-law's motives are clear: he was looking for adventure. The sister's reaction is kind of to be expected. But, other than her admitting that she is carrying these her sins in some sort of a pilgrimage, her thoughts about the whole incident are a bit unknown.

Also, her motives for continuing the affair are a bit strange. Why does she continue to persist in the affair? Is he forcing her to do it? Does she like the feeling? Is she utterly unsatisfied in her own life and thus this is as welcome of an escape as anything? Does she like him personally? Does she think he's super hot? Does she hate her sister and want to get revenge? Is she as spacey as her parents say so that she really doesn't know why she's doing something that clearly makes her upset?

Anyway, interesting science fiction story! :)

Cadi wrote a review...

Hey Stella!

So, I really liked this. The first half of it, just describing the journey through the desert, and the stars, and the emptiness, really captures a mood and a feeling that I love. I can really picture the vast expanse of the wastes, and the sheer volume of stars sprinkled across the sky. There are some beautiful images, like this one, which is perhaps my favourite line in the whole thing, because it's an absolutely lovely image:

the tiniest stars were bees, pollinating the sky gardens, keeping the brightest and most beautiful stars glimmering.

(There's a piece called Your Faces, O My Sisters! Your Faces Filled of Light by James Tiptree Jr/Alice Sheldon/Raccoona Sheldon, which is a sci-fi short which I simultaneously love and loathe. I loathe it because the twist/conclusion features a whole load of awful involving sexual assault and "actually she was mad the whole time", but I love the earlier parts because they paint a wonderful image of a woman walking - just walking - across a futuristic wasteland of America. The point of this perhaps unnecessary side note is, I am all about walking philosophically across sci-fi wastelands, and you've done this awesomely.)

When the backstory comes in, we start to see that the arc here is sort of about atonement, or possibly walking away from a problem, and about finding peace in solitude. A couple of bits of the backstory feel a little more clumsily inserted than others. So, this bit feels like it works for me:

but this part felt a bit clunkier:

which I think is because the first one lets me picture the memory she's having (unwelcome, in the night), whereas the second one, especially the first sentence of it, feels a bit more 'tell-y' and a bit less like a reflection in the mind of the character.

Overall, this is a really nice piece - the more impressive because I know you wrote it after a rough shift! - and I like it a lot. Especially your last line, which really captures the serene peace of solitude that the character is experiencing:

Remember: the plot is nothing more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations.
— Ray Bradbury