Wildest Dreams.

by StellaThomas

Disclaimer: This is obviously not all my own original work. 

We were both young when I first saw you. You should take it as a compliment that I got drunk and made fun of the way you talk. I know a saw a light in you, it was enchanting to meet you. As we walked we were talking, but I didn't say half the things I wanted to. 

You've got a smile that could light up this whole town. I sneak out to the garden to see you - I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home. Say you'll remember me: I'm standing there, on a balcony in summer air.

I can see the end, as it begins. I knew you were trouble when you walked in.

--

You and me, we've got big reputations. You come back each time you leave. Screaming and shouting and kissing in the rain, dancing round the kitchen in the refrigerator light.  You make me want to dance in a storm in my best dress. 

I'm a nightmare dressed like a day dream. I've got a long list of ex lovers, they'll tell you I'm insane. I don't like your little games. 

I remember thinking, "Are we out of the woods yet?" 

When you started crying, I did too. Up in your room and our slates are clean, just twin fire signs, four blue eyes.

--

All I know since yesterday is everything has changed. I brought a knife to a gunfight. The world moves on; another day, another drama. But not for me. 

"Who is she?" I get drunk on jealousy. I'm sure she's beautiful - she wears high heels, she's cheer captain. Soon she's going to find that stealing other people's toys on the playground won't make you many friends. "I'm going to find someone, someday, who might actually treat me well."

We've had our very last kiss. We are never ever getting back together.

--

It's 2am and I'm cursing your name. It was so nice being friends again, but now we've got bad blood. Soon you're going to find there is nothing I do better than revenge.

Call it what you want to, I've got a boyfriend, he's older than us. He's so tall, and handsome as hell. He is sensible and so incredible. Walking with his head down, I'm the one he's walking to. He said, "Let's get out of this town." 

This is a big world, that was a small town. It's too late for you and your white horse to catch me now. 

AnoCannotUserName wrote a review...

This is really good!!! I loved it!!It had a poetic aspect to it due to the lyrics and references you made to the songs. This is one of the most creative things I’ve seen by far and the way you connected everything together made it flow really well. It was, as I said before, poetic, but you could still understand the story and see what’s happening, especially since the songs themselves are their own stories too. There were a couple places where the information provided was really vague or it didn’t lead so smoothly into the next thing as your other lines did, so maybe just make it a little clearer. However, you as a writer, to be able to take those stories and have it run smoothly and seamlessly into one, if that makes sense, you impress me and dazzle me and inspire me. I really hope you make more of these and I want to read more soon. :)

Elinor wrote a review...

Stella,

I don't remember the last time I've read any of your writing/something you've posted, but this is great. This reminds me in a way of blackout poetry, although I've definitely done other make something new out of existing work type of exercises. I thought you really managed to tell a cohesive story out of these Taylor Swift lyrics. There's an arc there about a young woman who naively falls for a man who turns out to be not who she thought he was, and yet, she is will be okay.

I especially like how the story continues on after the narrator said "We are never ever getting back together" ie, she's over him, but not really. It's been a while since I've followed Taylor Swift so I don't recognize all of the lyrics -- are they from her newer songs?

Thanks for the fun read. :)

Ellie

LakeOfCancer wrote a review...

I used to LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE Taylor Swift! I mean, I still do! But This was fantastic! I love how you tell a story of a girl who met a guy so nice that it was worse sneaking out to see him, and during a period of the relationship, things start to go bad and then you guys split up and you're friends again, but you aren't as good as before. I especially liked all those lyrics in it! Very creative! Suggestion: I don't know of you listen to MCR or not, but could you do something like this with their lyrics? I think it would be pretty cool!

alliyah says...

Yes!!!!!!!!
11 out of 10.

I laughed so much reading this, and you got an impressive amount of references in there!

*cries into coffee*
— LadyLizz