z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

bittersweet

by Steggy


they say wrath is patient
picking up the weakest souls, 
casting them like 
stones in water. 

i beg to differ--
patience is wrath
ticking on a eternal clock.
it waits
for the best time.

patience turns bitter
wrath only turns sweet.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:45 am
View Likes
Aley wrote a review...



Hey Steggy,

So I picked this one.

Overall I really like the voice you're using, but I think you do need to go backwards a bit. There's a pendulum in poetry as we try to find a balance between too much and too little, and I think you finally hit the too little so you need to swing back towards too much.

Basically what I'm saying is you don't have a lot of data, cold hard facts, tangible objects, things like that, in this poem. You're being really wishy washy and you're not really giving your reader something to hold, so you've got to go back towards metaphors that make your lines longer, and your thoughts deeper.

Over time your poetry has transitioned from something where you're in the very tangible world of wind storms and romance, to something more ethereal and soft. You're talking about wrath in a very gentle way, you're not describing things with metaphors that are very long. If you do have metaphors, they're just three lines, max, and then they're gone again. This loses some of the detail that you might want to really analyze a piece of poetry.

When I had you read "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost, the reason you could get so much out of it was because he was discussing the way the sunrise plays with nature in a way that was visible and tangible enough that you could grasp any metaphor you wanted from that. He was talking about how just for a moment, there is Eden on earth, the Holy Garden, everything is perfect. Once that moment is gone, a leaf is just a leaf and nothing is as beautiful as it once was. How you picked up on the greed of wanting it to stay beautiful, and that it's things you're happy about, or just happiness in general, is because of the suggestions and lean towards expanding an idea in a poetic way.

Here, you have an idea, but you're not showing it. You're doing the second part of Frost's poem, and writing the stuff we analyze rather than writing the poem. This could be because of several reasons, you're not interacting with nature as much as Frost did, you're not writing in Frost's era, or simply because you're being conversational like Collins. No matter what the reason, the problem is the same, we don't have enough depth to really follow you in the metaphor.

When you're creating an argumentative paper, you have to choose a point, and then enforce that point with showing evidence. When you show the evidence you have to relate that evidence to the point you're making. Right now I jumped from talking about one subject to another without relating the two causing a break between what you're reading, and what you understand. You may be able to follow how these two things relate, you may not. The point in writing it this way is that you need to see that sometimes people don't follow your train of thought. It's your job as a writer, to guide them down the path to agree with your train of thought as you develop it in your writing. This goes for novels, poems, essays, short stories, and even just plain old songs. You can't say a nutcracker is an ant and expect everyone to be like Yeah! I feel you! because they're not going to be. They're going to disagree. A nutcracker is a toy that comes out at Christmas and is creepy. The Nutcracker is a play. A nutcracker is an evil beast that sleeps under my bed. All these things are different paths that all your readers may get distracted with as they reject your conclusion that a nutcracker is an ant.

You have to start out by saying, while you might know of a nutcracker as these other things, one of the features of an ant is to be a nutcracker. They actively go seeking nuts and have to crack them in order to break them down and bring them into their tiny ant hills. [No idea if this is true.] This makes them more of a nutcracker than the tall wooden toy which people call Nutcrackers which can't actually break nuts. [Again, I don't claim any of this is fact].

You have to interrupt their random direction that their connotations drag them towards, and bring them back to you, collect them into your writing, and make them believe and follow. You, as a writer, are their Shepherd, and they are really, really, obnoxiously easily distracted, sheep. To get them from point A to point B, you have to draw out their path, connect all the loops you jumped through, and then astound them when you repeat yourself in a new and unique way that yes, an ant is a nutcracker and you never knew it.

In Novels, this happens because of plots. If you started a book and found out the end early, then you have to follow the plot to understand how that writer got there, you can't just assume. You'll never know if you're right. You might be able to figure it out eventually, but you won't know their lives, how it happened, or why it happened. In a poem, you have to do this with your metaphors. You have to draw out your metaphors in a way that makes them clear and crisp, and deliciously delectable so that when your reader reads them, they understand how you got there, and why you're disagreeing with what "they say" because really, no matter what you're writing, you're in a conversation.

That conversation has two sides, at least. There's always someone playing devil's advocate, and you have to convince those people to come along with you for this journey just like those who are willing to follow because you wrote something in words.




User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:00 am
View Likes
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there Steggy. It's just lizzy dropping by real quick, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.

I never review that much poetry and only recently did I start reviewing it again. Most of the works in the back of the green room are novel chapters so that might explain it. I barely know how to review poems and I almost never write them but for some reason I signed up for NaPo. My chit chat at the beginning of reviews may seem unnecessary but it wakes me up makes me analyze the work more closely. So enough with the introductions because this is where my actual review begins.

Insert the two lines where I go crazy about grammar, spelling, typos and miscellaneous junk that doesn't fit anywhere else.
-My first comment is more of a question about how you ended one of your lines.

i beg to differ--

Did you place the two hyphens in place of a comma because it felt like a pause was needed there? Or was it for some other reason that is right there in plain sight that I am not seeing.
-Second comment also has a relation to how the poem starts, stops and pauses.
patience turns bitter
wrath only turns sweet.

To me after the "bitter" it should have been a full stop instead of just a pause. If it was a full stop, there would have been a lot more emphasis on those last two lines. Currently, there are almost rushed together and the reader doesn't have the time to really savour the thought.
-I don't have anything else to say as far as spelling, grammar, and typos. Well maybe the actual review begins after this line, I'm not sure.

When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be in someway a sappy, romantic type of poem. I was wrong and I apologize for that but it was the title that made me think that. I believe there was a poem a couple months back that wasn't titled "bittersweet" but talked about bittersweet tears. That may have tainted my opinion for a bit. I think the best way to describe what I just read is something of a philosophical nature. You took an idea that was already pretty philosophical and then you turned it inside out line by line until you disproved it. Sorry if that sounded a lot like an equation but I'm working geometry proofs this month. I can recognize the fact that the lack of punctuation and capitalization is purely stylistic so hey, at least I am getting a little better at reviews. You left an idea, a concept in the reader's mind and I guess that is what you were aiming for.

That actual review isn't in this paragraph so it must be one up. Well that's about all I have for this review. Sorry if I couldn't offer anymore advice but you have written quite a few more poems than me. I have gotten in the habit during my last couple of reviews of thanking the author. Thanks for posting your poem and it's my 132nd review. This review is part of my crazy goal of achieving my fourth star by the end of the month.
Anyways, have a nice day.
Lizzy
The Queen of the Book Clubs




User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 2722
Reviews: 44

Donate
Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:35 pm
Tammi wrote a review...



Hello!
So, cool poem..i would say!
The intelligent play of words enchants the reader!
keep it up!
Besides, the whole poem is ironical.
Because if wrath is not patient it is sudden but also patience is wrathful!
It is tough to be patient.
the oxymoron in the opening is awesome!
I hope i got a bit specific in using these poetic terms and hope my review proves to be useful..
Loved the concept and presentation..
lots of love and wishes...





No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf