z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

Madly: Chapter 3

by Steggy


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

“Hello Ryan, how’re you?”

It wasn’t even eleven in the morning and Ryan had a headache. He mentally prepared himself for the long speal, consisted of ramblings and stuttering. The blonde nurse, Elly Washington, had been sneaking up on Ryan since he began working at the psych ward and even then, she annoyed him. It was also painfully obvious that Elly had a crush on him that even the patients, after a certain amount of time, realized this.

“Fine, Elly. Thanks for asking.” Ryan preceded to walk a little faster to outpace Elly but it was useless. She seemed to pause for a moment before regaining composure, matching Ryan’s pace.

“How was the meeting with Tad? You don’t have to tell me.” Elly added a laugh at the end. Ryan internally groaned.

“It was fine. How’re your rounds going?”

Elly giggled. “Good, I suppose. I mean, not good. I don’t know. I think they’ll good.” She stopped talking, pressing her lips together. Ryan almost-hint ‘almost’-rolled his eyes. Instead he veered left towards the elevators, heading to leave the psych ward. And Elly still followed, like a lost puppy. Her blonde hair was tied back into a ponytail. A white cap placed neatly on her hair, the flaps tucked behind her ears. She wore a faint red lipstick, elegantly placed on her lips. Ryan didn’t know why he noticed these things or anything for that matter. How her nails were painted pink and her thumbnail was chipped. The small freckle on her right hand.

“Don’t you have to be somewhere?” Ryan asked suddenly. Elly blinked a couple of times.

“Uh, no? I don’t think so. Wait, I think I have to be somewhere at two. I’ll have to check my schedule. Hey, where’re you going? Ryan!”

-0-

It was five in the afternoon and Ryan was rushing to the psych ward.

He was about to take a nap, lazily counting the ceiling lines when his phone rang. Elly had called, wailing. Tad, from the few words Ryan could understand, was screaming about his sister and parents. When someone would try to comfort him, Tad would scream in their direction. What chance would Ryan have? Tad seemed uncontrollable and Ryan supposed since he had been seeing Tad recently could try to bring him down. He didn’t know much about the boy, only his love to draw and his sudden switches of emotion. Ryan couldn’t form the right words to ask how he was or what he was feeling that exact moment, even if he was a doctor. The human mind, he remembers someone telling him, is a complex puzzle riddled with traps and unsure answers. We haven’t figured out why something happens. Or why we feel things. In fact, we hardly have a clue why we think. It’s natural.

The sights and smells of the drive to the psych ward seemed to be like an abstract painting to Ryan. Cluttered. Unrecognizable. Hard to place. When he reached the psych ward, a dizzying sensation traveled to his head. Breath seemed to pause in his throat. He blinked, glupping. Anxiety formed a bubble over his head. He sighed, stopping in front of the elevator doors. There was a impending feeling of what to do. What kind of thing would happen if he didn’t make it in time. Ryan, as his years working here, didn’t deal with this type of situation. The upper doctors would come to the rescue, bribing the mentally insane with kind words and harsh smiles. The wrong move, everything tumbles. Light jokes. The impending fear was covered with light blankets.

When Ryan finally made it down to the third floor, Elly raced up. Her blonde hair was now falling out from under her white cap. Brown eyes pleading.

“Thank god.”

Ryan followed Elly as she explained what had happened.

“So, Robin was passing through when she heard the banging and wailing. And when she peeked through the window, Tad was curled up in a ball. Tad saw her looking and scrambled up, screaming cuss words. His fingernails were bloodied. Matthew tried to calm him down but was scared due to Tad’s compulsive behavior. That’s just what Robin told me, so I don’t know the whole story.”

As they made it to the door, Ryan could hear the faint whining. Ripping open the door, Tad looked up, his brown eyes wildly looking around.

“Tad, it’s okay.”

“No! It’s not! They’re gone! And it’s my fault!” He cried out. Ryan mentioned Elly to leave as he quietly stepped in and closed the door.

“Who’s gone?”

Tad sniffled, uncurling. “M-my parents. My sister, Wendy. Everyone! It’s my fault they’re dead! My fault!”

“No, it’s no-”

Tad stood up abruptly, grabbing Ryan by the collar. “Yes, it is. That bastard. He-he came into my house. Robbed. Stabbed. Killed. My only family! You don’t understand! You never will!”

Ryan gulped. He could smell the sweat, the distance smell of oatmeal, and tears. The bloodied fingernails stained his white collar. Dirt lined Tad’s eyes. Tears made paths on his cheeks.

“This is why I’m insane! Because I-I,” Tad sobbed, falling forward into Ryan’s chest. The natural thing to do was wrap arms around the sobbing person and comfort them. But in this situation, this wasn’t the case. Ryan sighed, awkwardly hovering his arms. Tad continued to cry, his fingers still curled around the thin fabric of Ryan’s collar. The cries seemed to come in short heaps, rolling over like heavy waves.

“Tad, look,” Ryan began. “I know it’s hard. There are going to be days where you have no idea what to do. You’ve been in this mindset for so many years. I know. I’m here to help you. Try to cover those feelings. It’s going to be hard, I know, yes, but together we can figure out. I’m your doctor and as your doctor, I’ll do whatever I can to help.” He pried Tad off and sighed. “So, let’s try one step at a time to do so. Starting now.”

Tad nodded sadly, rubbing his nose. He then looked up, slightly smiling.

“Thank you.”

Ryan nodded and turned to leave.

“Hey, Ryan, could I talk to you? I think it might calm me down.”

“Sure.” He then sat down on a stool as Tad sat cross legged on his bed.

“So, Tad, why are you here?”

“Because I saw my parents and sister killed in front of me, traumatizing me to the point of insanity,” Tad coolily said.

“Why were you parents and sister killed?”

“My house was robbed. The robber shot my family while I watched from the stairwell. I, of course, felt anger so in return, I went to the kitchen and stabbed the robber eight times in the chest. My next door neighbor found me when they were returning a kitchen dish my mom had given them. I was soaked in blood, still holding the knife in my hand.

“They then called the police. I screamed since, you know, I needed to be with my family. A sense of panic had rolled over me. And that’s why I’m here. Blaming myself for what happened because I knew if I had stopped it because beforehand my parents were fighting about bills and stuff. My sister, only 12, tried to get in. Wendy. She was something else. Strong willed. The opposite of me. Wendy cared more about people than she did about herself. I loved that about her.

“And even before that, I had asked my mom about something and the last words I remember her saying. Smiling, raising her hand against my face. ‘Someday all the love you’ve given away will find its way back to you and it will finally stay’.” Tad paused, his voice cracking. Ryan watched intently, somewhere along the way, placing his chin in the palm of his hand.

“And please, don’t say sorry for your loss. I’ve heard that too many times and it is all fake. Even though the people who speak it, they don’t actually know what to do so they say ‘I’m sorry’. Almost like they’re babying you. Forgiving. Who knows it anymore?”

Tad stopped, looking down at his lap. “So yeah, that’s my life in a nutshell. Messed up like me.”

Ryan cleared his throat, leaning back. “What do you feel when you kill someone? What do you see?”

Tad blinked. “I felt a rush. Like, doing something bad. The kind you get when you go on a rollercoaster. Afterwards, it is just bliss. Then it slowly decreases. Regret. Opening up a wound. I killed an innocent person, runs through your head, you know.

“I remember watching the life struggle out of their eyes. Seep through your fingertips like sand. Their blood stings your skin. There is a form of power in your system.”

Ryan nods slowly. “Basically, you’re saying, as you killed the robber, that power went to your head. When you did so, a sense of relief had washed over, right?”

Tad nodded as Ryan continued. “I’ve only known you for a few sessions and I can already tell you, we’re making progress. Well, you are. I’m merely a doctor who is here to help make progress by asking questions and such. But anyway, like I said, we’re going to try together to help you get back to your original state. It may take a while but that’s a risk I’m willing to take because I see potential in you, Tad.”

“Can I ask you something, Manhattan?”

“Sure.”

“Have you killed anyone?”

Ryan blinked. “What’s with the sudden question?”

Tad shrugged. “It seemed fitting for the mood.”

“Once but they had killed themselves.”

“What happened?”

“This is about you, Tad. Not me.”

Tad sat forward on the bed, glaring with his brown eyes. “Tell me.”

“W-well. I was with this woman. She was kind. We dated for four weeks. A-and I thought she was the one. But something happened. I guess we got into a fight over something stupid then I snapped. The only thing I can remember is throwing vases and screaming so loud, the neighbors had to call the cops.” He paused for a moment. He could feel Tad’s eyes staring, pressuring him to continue. The hole was already dug. The only person who knew this much info was a close friend, Arthur, who was a therapist and had helped Ryan through most of his troubles. He was there when this happened with open arms and promising hopes that everything was going to be okay. But it wasn’t because nothing really isn’t going to be okay. We, as people, have this perception that if something goes wrong, we should just assume for the best. He had known this; mainly because Arthur had shown such a fakeness towards him in such a situation that Ryan played along, hoping for a better outcome.

“Continue on,” Tad said, breaking Ryan from his train of thought.

“Right, uh. After a week or two after the fight, I came home and saw her with another man. In our bed. I walked out, headed to a bar, got drunk, and slept with someone else. I don’t remember, exactly. A week later, she calls me again, pleading for forgiveness but I reject. The heartbreak someone gets from that is forever.

“Anyway, when I rejected, I hadn’t heard from her since then. It wasn’t until last March, I believe, that she h-had. I’m sorry I can’t do this.”

Tad licked his lips, a hunger in his eyes. “What happened to the girl, Ryan?” he asked, leaning forward.

Ryan took a deep breath, his fingers pressing deep into his pants. “She had killed herself. Gun to the head. And to this very day, I blame myself for it. Just like you do with your problem.” 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:40 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Okay, so I like how Ryan is able to relate to Tad in this chapter, but...

First of all: Tad is like so ridiculously aware that he's "insane" and precisely what brought it on and et cetera. Like, okay, I'm not a psychiatrist myself, but...I'm having trouble explaining this, exactly, but it bothers me that Tad keeps calling himself "insane" and saying things like "and I was traumatized to the point of insanity." I think it might be the term "insane/insanity" itself. Or...I'm not sure. I can't explain it. It just feels unrealistic, maybe because Ryan never puts a name to what Tad's problem is, even though as a psychiatrist I expect him to have better terms for it than "insane."

So sorry about that, because I can't even put my problem into words well enough to tell you what it actually is, let alone make suggestions.

OKAY ANYWAY I also took issue with the "cover those feelings" coming from a psychiatrist because it smacks of repression and no? shouldn't he *not* be repressing these feelings? like he should be dealing with them or something?

Again, not a psychiatrist, but...it bothered me.

That said, I liked that Ryan and Tad both acknowledged that it's not really helpful when people say things like "sorry for your loss" and "everything will be fine" and how Tad specifically says that it's just because they don't know what else to do. I think it's another, very subtle thing they have in common, less obvious than their traumatic experiences and a nice addition.




User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:10 am
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello again! Thanks for tagging me! :D

I appreciated the little love interest you threw in there at the beginning. I love me a love story of any kind and I like that someone likes this Ryan guy (although I'm still looking for his redeemable qualities :p). I also like that he doesn't seem to care that she likes him or return the feelings. Nothing is more fun than when someone realizes way later on that they have feelings for the other person! No idea if that's what you're planning on doing here, but a girl can hope :P (i always root for a cute love story).

I want more of that interaction between him and her at the beginning. I want to see her trying to flirt with him and him not caring. If there's going to be chemistry later, you can start planting those seeds now even if he doesn't reciprocate yet. If there's not going to be chemistry later, I would show her trying really hard and the clear lack of chemistry between them. I think you have a nice start, but you could go deeper (which is what second drafts are for after all! :p)

Then we have the emergency. I was a little confused at first that the time had changed and now it was an emergency. Maybe include a little more of a transition in there about how his day passed, going home/whatever he does after work, so we know that when he's called in it's out of the ordinary. I'd still love to know what his role is in the hospital and why he's called in for such emergencies. He mentioned that there are people higher than him that he feels are better at calming patients down. Why is he called in instead of him? Is it just because that girl likes him?

I thought you did a nice job of capturing his thoughts and emotions as he enters the scene and tries to figure out what he's going to do. After that, I think everything moves too quickly. The calming down is way too quick and easy and then they both spill their life stories.

I would love to see more of the process of calming Tad down. He's spent very little time with Ryan so far, so I'd be pretty surprised if he calmed down super quick and if he then shared his whole sad story. Is there rapport or trust yet? I would also save Tad's big reveal for later. It's sad and it's dramatic and I think you could make it even sadder and even more dramatic by saving it for later (I love sad and dramatic by the way :p). That way, the reader can stay in suspense wondering what really happened and what Tad's role in everything was.

I would also save Ryan's confession for later too. Therapy 101 (after never have sex with a patient...) is that therapy isn't about you (you being the therapist) and 99% of the time self disclosure is not beneficial to therapy. This was a pretty big self disclosure. And just like with Tad's story, I think it'll be more dramatic if we get a big reveal later in the story. I'm imagining him starting to become close to this Elly girl and pulling away and being scared because of his past and it all coming out that way. As much as I loved learning this background information (because so many things came into light for me!) hold off as long as you can! Keep your reader in suspense!

I'll leave things there for now and keep it pretty big picture, but if you have any questions or if there's something you'd like feedback about that I didn't mention, let me know! I'm looking forward to reading more and seeing where you take this story! :D





I was promis'd on a time, To have a reason for my rhyme: From that time unto this season, I receiv'd nor rhyme nor reason.
— Edmund Spenser