z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Madly: Chapter 2

by Steggy


A/N: I tried writing in a different way. Hopefully, you guys enjoy it. ^^

Have you ever noticed something? Like, something that just catches your eyes and you never know how to feel about it until it’s gone? A welcoming smell that reminds you of your childhood. A TV show that preserves some feeling in your heart. When we see, hear, or smell these things it gives us that reason worth living. That one thing that can keep you stable in any sort of environment.

Ryan woke up earlier than usual. The alarm clock ticked away the hours as he spent looking at the ceiling. Outside, in the dark, there was a myriad of cars, whispers, and drunken laughter. He sighed. Sleep seemed impossible, a small piece of his day that slipped away. Everytime he had tried to close his eye, a nightmare that was filled with a middle schooler being laughed at. It made his stomach turn and had then decided to just stay up. He knew it was silly, rehashing a wound that he longed forgotten but his brain had other plans.

Ryan ripped his view from the ceiling to look outside. His bedroom had a window, which was opened due to it being warm, that gave him the perfect view of the stars. The only problem was the moon. Though he liked looking at the moon and how it had given him a great light for reading, there were times where it was downright annoying. If he laid wrong, the moonlight was spill across his face, brightening his dreams like the sun. And when he would turn over, he felt that someone was watching him from the corner of the room.

Also, living in the city ruins the view of the stars. It’s like you pay for a show that you heard is really great but it turns out it is just like any other show out there. Full of props that hardly fit on the stage. Actors who speak too fast. The lights are too bright so you can’t see the actor’s facial features.

So, he laid there, completely touched by what thoughts he was thinking and what his thinking made him thought. There were moments where he went back to what he saw at the psych ward. The heart shaped lollipops that were on the front desk. Matthew’s right shirt sleeve creased exactly seven times. Water residue on the cement blocks. The sounds from each door, holding a monster within. The feel of the paper on his finger tips, the rush of disappointment of a new patient. He had then stopped at Tad. Of course, how could anyone forget the crazy look in his eye? The faint tint of red that lined his cheeks when he smiled or the yellowing shade of his teeth. The oily hair that sprung up in different directions.

And it was a recurring thing. Ryan had always noticed things that most people didn’t see. Careless to just push it aside like last month’s garbage or something. Thoughts like these gave him such anxiety that he often shut down his brain for a second or two before rethinking.

Ryan sighed angrily, watching the morning sun rise. The light slowly fogged up the window before glowing on the carpeted floor. His alarm clock kept ticking as he got up. It was slow movement as if he was hoping that the workday could go by and he wouldn’t have to go. Sure, he could’ve called in but he didn’t want to deal with the questioning of the assistant manager, Rebby who spoke so loud and squeaky that Ryan was sure his hearing had deafen slowly.

As he drove to work, the same events from yesterday happened. Drunken people walking sluggishly in the streets. Homeless people huddling in cardboard boxes. It made him feel horrible, not because he couldn’t do anything, but he didn’t like see them suffering. He turned on the radio ignoring the scene around him.

Matthew was waiting for him in the parking lot, holding two cups of coffee. Ryan sighed.

“Hey, Ryan, how’re you doing?”

“Fine,” Ryan said as he slammed the car door.

“I brought you coffee. Well, no, I didn’t. I was accidentally given the second coffee because the lady working at the shop was like ‘buy one, get two free’ or something stupid.”

Ryan muttered as Matthew handed him the cup of coffee.

“So yeah. My mornings off to a great start.” The two began walking to the door, Matthew making complementary on the people he saw driving here. Ryan made noises as relation to whatever he was talking about but he didn’t care. The coffee tasted bland, he noticed. Not enough sugar, Ryan thought as he took another gulp. Matthew continued to talk, but it seemed boring. Instead, Ryan found himself looking at the building. He hadn’t noticed before but it was turning brown from rainstorm that had four days ago. There were trees around the perimeter that needed water. Pink flowers were planted near the entrance in curvy clay pots. All of these go unnoticed by other people but why? He sighed, throwing the coffee cup into a nearby garbage can.

Ryan went to his desk, picking up the file for today. He had another meeting with Tad but it seemed to run longer because after that meeting, he was free to go home. Luke doesn’t need to be seen? That’s weird.

So, waiting for time to past, Ryan fiddled with his thumbs, wrote a two-paged report on how the human mind works, and ate a footlong sandwich. When it was time to meet with Tad, there was a slim realization that he should’ve done something more with his life. He walked slowly to the cell, matching the steps with his breathing, a practice he had done since a child. The downside of it was time seemed to go faster as he had nothing to do so he spent his time looking around him. Noticing all of the little things like sounds of distance patients yelling, running water echoed off the cement walls, and the fluorescent lights that dimmed before having that sudden blink of light. Ryan sighed, tucking the file under his arm as he reached Tad’s cell.

When he opened the door, Tad was on his bed, head bent and drawing with charcoal on a piece of paper. From first glance, it almost seemed like a decapitated person dancing.

“Good morning, Tad. How’re you?”

Tad looked up and smiled. “Great! I’m just drawing something. How’re you?”

“Fine. Let’s begin.”

Tad nodded, placing his piece of paper in the corner of his bed. “Okay.”

“So, do you know why you’re here?”

Tad thought for a moment, biting his lip and looking at the ceiling. “Because I’m incurable.”

“Do you remember anything before you came here?” Ryan asked. Tad frowned, eyes glaring at the floor.

“My sister and parents being brutally stabbed in front of me,” Tad calmly said.

Ryan gulped silently. “Do you know why they were stabbed?”

Tad narrowed his eyes. “Payment.” He then regained composure by looking up at Ryan, smiling. “How long have you worked here, Dr. Manhattan?”

Ryan raised an eyebrow. “This isn’t about me, Tad. We’re here for you.”

“Change of topic is always good,” Tad mused, threading his fingers together.

Ryan sighed, frowning at the paper in front of him. There was a small silence between the two men, of course, Ryan couldn’t help hear Tad’s muttering. He glanced up from his paper to stare at the nineteen year old. He didn’t mean to think such things but Tad looked remarkably handsome in the sunlight. Like, in a friendly way. Even though he noticed it before, the freckles that ran along the bridge of Tad’s nose seemed to be darker in the sunlight. The way his eyes scrunched up when he was thinking or whispering under his breath. He scowled, resuming to look at the paper.

Tad sighed. “Do you know when I’m getting fed again?”

“Are you not being fed here?”

Tad absentmindedly shook his head. “Nearly every day I’m fed but it’s tasteless oatmeal. I feel like I’m a prisoner.” He then looked at Ryan, pleading with his eyes. “Is there anyway you could see if the cook can sweeten my oatmeal?”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that, Tad. I’m only a doctor.”

Tad sighed sadly. “It was worth a shot.” Then got his piece of paper, licked his thumb and started to smudge the charcoal to shade in the headless figure. Ryan watched him, letting the pen rest of the paper pad he held. The movement of Tad’s thumb reminded Ryan of a moment in his life. His brother used to be a street artist that drew people before going to school to be a lawyer (“a sudden change,” Ryan had said). But, Ryan would spend hours on end watching his brother draw. He had enjoyed how the charcoal darken then lighten, like a shadow on a spring day. At one point, his brother had offered Ryan a chance to learn but he turned him down. Decided to stay studying on his own thing than learning about a new thing.

Ryan, in short, was a afraid of change.

Tad had stopped drawing and looked at Ryan with wonder in his eyes. “Are you okay, Dr. Manhattan?”

Ryan shook his head and nodded. “Yeah, sorry.” He then looked down at his watch, scowling. “It looks like our meeting is done. Well, see you tomorrow, as usually Tad. If you need anything, let one of the nurses know.”

Tad nods and smiles. “Okay!” And Ryan left, quietly closing the door. He walks a couple of steps into the hallway when a stammering blonde walked besides him.

“Hello Ryan, how’re you?"

It wasn’t eleven in the morning and Ryan knew he was going to have a headache.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 am
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Hey there!

Okay, I don't at all mind narrator-talking-to-reader (and am shamelessly using it in my own project since sometimes it just makes things flow easier), but that first paragraph felt bizarrely out of place with everything else. I think it was just because there wasn't a tie-in between the first paragraph and the second, at least not an obvious one.

This one was done much better, if that helps.

Ryan ripped his view from the ceiling to look outside. His bedroom had a window, which was opened due to it being warm, that gave him the perfect view of the stars. The only problem was the moon. Though he liked looking at the moon and how it had given him a great light for reading, there were times where it was downright annoying. If he laid wrong, the moonlight was spill across his face, brightening his dreams like the sun. And when he would turn over, he felt that someone was watching him from the corner of the room.

Also, living in the city ruins the view of the stars. It’s like you pay for a show that you heard is really great but it turns out it is just like any other show out there. Full of props that hardly fit on the stage. Actors who speak too fast. The lights are too bright so you can’t see the actor’s facial features.

So, he laid there, completely touched by what thoughts he was thinking and what his thinking made him thought.


Except watch out for the tense change!

This sentence, though.

The sounds from each door, holding a monster within.


First of all, the rest of the details in this paragraph are details, but this is incredibly general, so it stands out. Second of all: Ryan is a psychiatrist????????? He thinks of his patients as "monsters" even though he studied all this and talks to them and is supposedly there to help?????????

I mean, I remember from the first chapter he doesn't seem to actually like his job, but man, dude, that's cold. I'm not a big fan of Ryan right now - I'm interested in the story, obviously, I like the style, and I find it interesting to read about Ryan anyway, but I do not care for the guy. I don't know if that's intentional, if he'll soften up throughout the story, or what. But there it is, anyway.

Random, stupid thoughts:

Ryan had always noticed things that most people didn’t see. Careless to just push it aside like last month’s garbage or something...He hadn’t noticed before but it was turning brown from rainstorm that had four days ago.


Irony.

He didn’t mean to think such things but Tad looked remarkably handsome in the sunlight. Like, in a friendly way.


No homo, bro.

Which is ironic again since I'm actually pretty sure yes homo, bro. But that's what "like, in a friendly way" sounded like. You might be trying too hard to put us off the trail of impending romance, there.

“Are you okay, Dr. Manhattan?”


"Ryan Manhattan" sounds like a name better suited for certain slightly more clandestine professions than psychiatrist...

Okay, I'm done. Poke me again if I don't get to chapter 3 tomorrow or Saturday, but hopefully I'll remember on my own.




User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:27 am
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello again!! :D Focusing on the big picture once again...

I like introspective chapters where characters notice things and think a lot. I already feel like I'm getting to know your MC which is great. More on him in a second. My only qualm with the writing itself in this chapter and all of the lovely introspective stuff, is that you switched into second person in a few places. Second person is fine if you're planning on spending the whole novel that way, but it's not so great when it slips in unannounced because it can actually end up distancing your reader :)

So this MC. He's an interesting man. I'm not quite sure what his role is in this hospital, but he really doesn't seem too motivated to be there. Referring to his patients as "monsters" behind closed door and feeling disappointed when he gets a new patient and wishing he did something else with his life. I'm really curious to learn more about him and learn why he's here if he clearly isn't happy.

I really like Tad. I love an underdog and I love someone with a past and with complicated history and with some complicated stuff going on. His little admission about seeing his parents and sister die! I want to know so much more about that!! Part of me wonders if he's the one that did it and he's in denial because of the significance of the trauma, but I also feel like he really did witness it. But then why was he spared? Why did he see it? And who did it? *strokes chin*

Like the last chapter, I wasn't really feeling the conversation between Ryan and Tad. I didn't really understand where he was going with his line of questioning or what he was hoping to gain out of the conversation. It felt short to me too. I know that this is your first draft and you're just getting it out there and not necessarily going for 100% accuracy on what a doctor might say in a mental health institution and that's fine, just something to be thinking about for the next draft or as you continue :)

Writing wise there are some typos and little grammatical things but I'm pretty confident you'll be able to find much of that on your own :) Going forward, I'm very curious to learn more about Ryan and what his deal is. I'm also very curious to learn more about Tad. I think I'm more excited to learn about him than I am Ryan. I'm also curious to see how this plot is going to develop. Right now we have an interesting situation and some interesting characters, but I'm waiting for the hook or the catalyst. What's the goal and what's the conflict?

I'd love to be tagged as you keep working on this if you'd like some more of my reviews! I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this, but in the meantime let me know if you have any questions or if there's something you'd like feedback about that I didn't mention! :D




User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 2620
Reviews: 81

Donate
Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:46 am
View Likes
skylnn00writes wrote a review...



Some small errors:

1. "Outside, in the dark," I believe you do not need the first comma after outside.

2. "Sleep seemed impossible, a small piece of his day that slipped away." Maybe you should rewrite this into two sentences? Or put a semi-colon in between instead of the comma. It looks to me like a comma splice. (I could be wrong...)

3. This is a very powerful sentence, "Everytime he had tried to close his eye, a nightmare that was filled with a middle schooler being laughed at." except that it is a fragment. Maybe you could try 'He had tried to close his eyes many times, but a nightmare that was filled with a middle schooler being laughed at played in his mind.' (also everytime should be every time)

There aren't a ton of errors in this part, but a revision wouldn't hurt. Some of the sentences I feel have some typos, but this story is intriguing. I was captivated once I started reading and I almost forgot to write reviews :3 The connections to life are so deep and meaningful, especially the first paragraph. It grabbed my attention right off the bat. This is all written very beautifully.
I loved the city paragraph towards the beginning, about it being a show. I thought it was a very clever metaphor. I hope there is more to this story soon because I am very curious of this new, blonde character. I like your comparisons with life, too. Keep writing, you're good at it. Hope this review is helpful (:




Steggy says...


Thank you for the review! It definitely helped. I'll be sure to use what you suggested when I revision this later. ^^



User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:28 pm
View Likes
erilea wrote a review...



Hey, Steggy! Lupa here for a review! :D Let's begin.

1) "He knew it was silly, rehashing a wound that he longed forgotten but his brain had other plans." I think you either mean "rehashing a wound that he longed to forget" or "rehashing a wound that he had long forgotten." Either way, you need a comma after "forgotten."

2) "Rebby who spoke so loud and squeaky that Ryan was sure his hearing had deafen slowly." Here, I definitely think you meant "Ryan was sure his hearing had deafened slowly."

Oh, and speaking about all these grammatical things... I saw a lot of occurrences where you left out a word or misspelled something. I suggest you go through this again more attentively and find those spots. ;)

3) Whoa, that meeting was super short! The doctor asks Tad, like, two questions and then tells him the meeting is over. Why don't you draw it out a bit? Shouldn't he be trying to get more information about Tad? The lack of length for the meeting kind of confuses me.

4) The ending isn't the best. You introduce a new character at the second-to-last line, which is a bit jarring and doesn't flow very well. If need be, you can put the blonde in the next chapter, but in chapter numero dos the blonde isn't adding anything to the chapter except for the fact that the doctor is going to have a headache.

I'm sorry I couldn't have helped more, but I hope what I said did at least help a little bit! This story is turning out to be pretty interesting, and I would like to see how this turns out. Keep writing, Steggy!

XOX,
Lupa22




Steggy says...


Thank you for the review! Yeah, I was trying to make the ending a bit 'suspenseful' I suppose but I agree, I didn't exactly execute it well.



erilea says...


You're so welcome!




Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau