z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Certain Life - Chapter 2 [Macy]

by Steggy


I think that not everyone wants to think they have a chance. Instead, they have this sort of doubt that overcomes their chance of wanting to live, and they begin to negatively or positively ask themselves what’s their worth. They have hopes and dreams, and they want to try to accomplish them, but doubt acts like a thick curtain, blocking out the possibilities to reach these hopes and dreams.

There are two groups: the ones who take their doubts and use them to motivate themselves or the ones who use their chances to ignore the doubts around them. I’m part of a secret group, one that ends up taking their doubt for granted and afraid of taking chances.

My trip to Harrisburg happened due to an occurrence of a letter and an affair. My dad was madly in love with my mom and believed my mom felt the same way. They married and had me as their only child. I was granted with my mom’s green eyes and my dad’s brown hair. My height was lacked compared to my friends but I made it up with my athletic ability in different sports.

The affair happened because my mom got a little too cozy with our neighbor. How my dad found out was through a letter of pictures taken with my mom and the guy. When he had told me about it, I couldn’t believe it. I trusted my mom. I told her secrets. I expected her to be the normal mom, the one who to give me advice for boys or to buy me dresses. I never expected her to cheat on my dad.

To this day, I never once believed my mom. She tried to apologize and explain to my dad several times but it seemed like their marriage was already over. I moved with my dad and left my mom a month after the affair had happened.

The ride to Harrisburg, which wasn’t far from where we were living originally, was tense for the first few miles. Then my dad decided to make some light conversation about what I had plans for in the future or what the school might be like there. We moved before I started my freshman year of high school and I could shake off the feeling of being like an alien.

I was worried that my friends would forget me and only remembered as a girl who was a class president through middle school. I wanted to go back home, not to my mom, but to my friends. I didn’t want my dad to baby me into saying that everything would be fine.

I needed to go home but I didn’t have a plan or anything. This was just a daydream that I was becoming too lazy to follow forward with. So, I decided I’ll leave when I need to leave.

Harrisburg wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It kind of reminded me a bit of Chicago with a small town feel mixed into it. Shops lined the road and further down the street loomed the business buildings. I had mixed feelings about heights and when looking at these buildings, I felt dizzy and small.

My dad turned down several roads before we reached our new two-story house. It had peeling yellow paint around the outside, wooden stairs that lead to the front door, a stone walkway, dead and yellowing grass, driveway where we could park our car. I began to feel unsure about this place as my dad drove into the driveway.

“This is our new home. Help me bring in these boxes and once we’re done, we’ll go get ice cream,” my dad promised as he got out. I stayed in the car a little bit before hopping out. Bringing in the boxes only took an hour but unpacking them seemed to take the whole night away from me. As promised, my dad take me out to get ice cream and we chatted a bit, but it felt kind of forced. Like, he was trying to make me realize that he wasn’t doing alright while hiding it behind our chats.

I decided to leave Harrisburg after my dad had told me he wanted me to be homeschooled, a week after we moved.

“I think it’s for the best. I don’t want you messing with what the dangers of boys or gangs out there so I’m going to teach you what I know.”

I didn’t want to be homeschooled. I needed a life where I can explore, make friends, and enjoy what it could bring me. But, I didn’t reason with him or his decision. That night, I made a plan. Since I didn’t have any cash, I would take some of my dad’s money and use it to buy a train ticket. I also needed to change my appearance, in case there were missing child posters, which meant cutting my hair shorter.

So, I went into the bathroom and took a pair of scissors, snipping away inches after inches of my hair until I had a bob. Most of the brown chunks were in the sink or on the floor and the ends of my hair looked like I took a chainsaw to it. But, I looked reasonably different. While my dad was sleeping, I grabbed a few twenty dollar bills and some coins. I then decided I should write him a note so I did, explaining what I was doing and why.

Heading back upstairs, I began packing until I couldn’t pack anymore inside of my bag. Grabbing my hat, I took one look in the mirror and nodded. No turning back now.

I left the house and ran towards the train station, now not afraid of the chance it might hold. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 7955
Reviews: 109

Donate
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 pm
View Likes
neptune wrote a review...



Hey Steggy! Finally have the time to review this -- sorry I've been so busy. Anyway, let's get on to the review.

I found multiple grammar mistakes throughout the chapter but I think some of them have already been mentioned in the review below. I do encourage you to go back and edit them, though.

Did my dad tell her we were leaving?

This was very sudden. I didn't really know that they left her mother until this point in the chapter; more than half way. Maybe you meant for it to appear this way but it could've been clearer when they were leaving. I think this was the part that confused me:

A few weeks after the letter incident, my dad announced that we would be moving.

This was baffling because you said her father announced that they were moving, so I thought that included the mother. (And are they moving to Harrisburg, or is that a pit-stop?) Using the phrase "letter incident" is a little awkward and stretched, too, right? Could it possibly be rewritten? Something like: A few weeks after the letter occurrence, my dad told me that we would be moving.

Speaking of clarity, things could have been less rushed and quick feeling. I noticed that this was only the first part of the second chapter, but you shouldn't feel inclined to write so little. There was a lacking of detail, in my opinion. The backstory you included at the beginning seemed a little unnecessary seeing as it didn't cover a lot of the important bits. We learned about Macy's school life but I think a general cover of her outside-school life would've been nice too. For example:

I was liked by most of the students in school and later, went on to be the class president.

This might have been something you used to link to the rest of the paragraph, but it doesn't affect the story or really our relationship with Macy.

It started with a letter that I wasn’t supposed to found.

Why wasn't Macy supposed to find it? Was it something personal? Was she not supposed to know about it? And how would she know if she was allowed to know about it or not?

I'm not sure why you wanted this chapter to be split into two sections. I think it would work just fine as one, especially since this part wasn't that lengthy. I'll wait for the second part to confirm, but it would probably flow well combined. I mean, perhaps Rhett and Macy meet in the next part, I'm not sure. Anyway, the main issue with this for me was the transition throughout the chapter. It felt like it was all over the place. All of it had the same general topic, but it ranged from a backstory about Macy, a mini "interrogation" with her mother, then leaving with her dad. The transitions were a little wacky. It's a rush for a first perspective with Macy, to be honest. I would just like it to be slower paced so we can get to know her personally. There was no one on one introduction-like part with the reader and main character, like I was hoping.

Macy's relationship with her parents is fascinating. Why does she forgive her mother so easily, and why is she closer to her than her father? I'm really hoping for more information about her family, but also her. This mainly focussed on her parents, rather than elaborating on her (one of the main characters). I'm really much more intrigued with her perspective than Rhett's, simply because you included much more about her complicated story than Rhett's simple looking one. I feel closer to Macy, almost. I think next chapter with Rhett you should work on giving information and details about him, and his backstory.

But. They are in Harrisburg! Rhett and Macy are going to meet. I'm wondering who the man is though, mentioned in the prologue? Her father? Someone else? I can't wait to find out! It would be cool to see why they went to Harrisburg, of all places. Were they drawn in by something? Otherwise, I guess it could just be a coincidence that they are going to the same town.

There's definitely a lot of mystery here. I guess we'll see in the next part of this chapter what happens, huh? I hope my suggestions helped. If you have any questions please ask!




Steggy says...


Thank you for your review! Now that you mention it, I might rewrite this chapter so it can have the two parts. It was kind of rushed because I didn't really understand what was going to happen and when I was writing this, I felt kind of horrible with my writing.

Hopefully, once I edit it, it'll make some sense.

Thank you again!



Steggy says...


*not two parts, but one chapter



User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 73
Reviews: 53

Donate
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm
View Likes
jamgalloway wrote a review...



Hey, there! Just popping in for a short review.

To start off, we didn't need the backstory up top. Most of that was stuff we could infer, or maybe find out in pieces as the story goes on. A bit of an info-dump. I think this would be great if it was more in the moment, and less explaining what had happened. Like, starting with Macy finding the letter in the mailbox and going from there. Also, I didn't realize until Macy specifically thought about what her mom was feeling at the end that she and her dad had left her behind, so I'd make that a little more clear.

A few grammar mistakes I'll point out:

It started with a letter that I wasn’t supposed to found. - found should be find here.

I hoped that these good things would stake up... - stack, not stake.

Or, dad surprised her again. - Dad should be capitalized here since it's used as a name. My dad would not be.

Her face was twisted in something sinister and in his fist was the letter from earlier. - her fist, not his fist.

The italicized parts here, besides the one up top, would work just fine as regular text. Like, they're not really *specific* thoughts and work with the paragraph they're in without being italicized.

There's a few things that could probably we worded better, but for the most part this is pretty good.

I think the plot with the letter and then the dad and daughter leaving the mom is really interesting. I'd like to see what the heck that's about.

But basically, my suggestions here are to cut out the info-dump at the beginning, and make this chapter more in the moment--more showing, less telling. This has a very interesting premise that would be interesting to see where it goes.

Anyway, if you need help with anything, want me to review something, just want to talk, whatever, just let me know and I'd be happy to! I hope my review helped somehow, and have a lovely day!





cron
We are not to simply bandage the wounds of victims beneath the wheels of injustice, we are to drive a spoke into the wheel itself.
— Dietrich Bonhoeffer