Home » Literary works » Script » Romantic

The Drug in Me - Act 1, Scene 1

by SquishyNinja

Dramatis Personae:

Lilith: all sorts of drugs in human form; a figment in Rhys’s mind he calls Lilith

Rhys: Main character

Ivy: Rhys’s Mother

Olivia: Rhys’s old friend

Cameron: Rhys’s Love Interest

Ezra: Rhys’s father

Daniel: Ezra’s close friend

Act I, Scene I:

If music be the food of love, play on.

A pub in England, 1898

Enter Ezra, Ivy, and Daniel

[Setting takes place in a small pub in England. There are many people drinking here, but the lights focus on a young girl twirling on the dance floor and another light on Ezra. Ezra sits at one of the tables, staring at her.]

Ezra: Oh, does she not have such a fine frame? A splendid girl with such a big heart I hope can hold all my faults. The way she smiles and dances and moves leave me in a bed canopied with flowers.

Daniel: You shouldn’t contemplate on a girl such as herself. Look at her now. She is far too beautiful to be true. I know for a fact that women who are immortally stunning will leave you heartbroken. She does not deserve a man of your nature.

Ezra: A man of my nature? And what exactly is my nature?

Daniel: A man of your nature is a man who is compassionate and kind. A man who does not let sadness take his heart, and definitely will not rely on a woman of her reputation.

Ezra: And what if I am not the man you speak of? What would that make me then if I were to go to her now?

Daniel: It would make you foolish. [Ezra laughs and takes another drink, even though he is drunk.]

Ezra: I am not the fool here, Daniel, for I think the fool is you!

Daniel: And how am I a fool?

Ezra: You are a fool for falling for my faulty disguise. I am indeed not the man you think of, and even if she has a bad reputation I am sure I will be able to open her like a present.

Daniel: The words you say are too vulgar for me to even stay here with you now. So go on, pursue her. But just don’t expect me to sit here and watch.

[Exit]

Ezra: Such a man of small words. If he beckons me to pursue the lady, then pursue her shall I. Not one man can ignore her exquisite beauty, and the only way I could be labeled a fool is if I walked away right now. He fails to see that I am not who I show myself as. I am a devil in disguise, a creature born under the world, and it is fine human skin I wish to consume.

[Ezra gets up and joins Ivy on the dance floor. As soon as he reaches her, they dance. It isn’t until the song is over did she look at him.]

Ivy: And who might you be, man?

Ezra: My name is Ezra. And may I ask your name?

Ivy: I am called Ivy. Such a fine dancer, you are. I have never danced like that in my life.

Ezra: Then today is your lucky day. I am dumbfounded by the way you move, sweet temptress. I seek to pull you with me to my slumber, and show you more moves I have never shown any other woman before. [Ivy laughs]

Ivy: What a subtle approach you use on me. I normally would have shunned you away already, but there is something in your eyes that I can’t bear to say no to.

Ezra: Then don’t refuse. If you do refuse, I shall chase you forever. Even if you run to a cliff and jump, I will jump with you. I shall never let you fall in another man’s arms.

Ivy: Why do you want me with such haste? My name is impure, and no man has ever loved me the way you speak right now.

Ezra: Then allow me to love you. Allow me to plant in your womb and make a beautiful fruit that we can raise together, as one. [Ivy pulls away from him.]

Ivy: You talk like a fool.

Ezra: If a fool is someone who adores you, then a fool I am. No matter who laughs or shuns me, my love will never falter. Come, sweet Madonna, and follow me to my chamber where we can make a new dance.

Ivy: I have never heard such words of love and content. I thank you and trust you, so, lead me on.

[Exeunt.]

starlitmind wrote a review...

Hey there! This is old but has less than two reviews, so I decided to check this out! :D I'm going to start with critiques and conclude with my thoughts.

We haven't started yet and I'm already intrigued!

The way she smiles and dances and moves leave me in a bed canopied with flowers.

Ooh, cool description! I believe "leave" should be "leaves."

I'm not that familiar with scripts, but in the scripts I read, the description was on a line by itself. I could be wrong though or this could be a different format; I just wanted to point it out just in case it was an error!

I am indeed not the man you think of, and even if she has a bad reputation I am sure I will be able to open her like a present.

I believe you need a comma after "reputation."

And who might you be, man?

To me, this sounded a bit weird, calling Ezra "man" with the old style you're going with.

I seek to pull you with me to my slumber, and show you more moves I have never shown any other woman before

You don't need a comma after "slumber"

Allow me to plant in your womb and make a beautiful fruit that we can raise together, as one.

Wow, this progressed really quickly! Maybe a bit too quickly, for my taste at least haha. Their love doesn't seem that realistic to me, but that could be because of the time period as well! Just a thought : )

And that's it! It was an interesting way of opening this play up with the meeting of the main character's parents. The way they met was definitely interesting xD I like how you stick to one way of speaking throughout the script. You're quite consistent, which made this enjoyable to read! There isn't much to comment on, as not much happened in this scene of Act I, so I'm excited to see where this goes. I hope this helped! :D

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:50 pm
JourneyGirl says...

I love this! Its a really great idea to start with the parents meeting. I love how the fathers word are almost like poetry. I cant wait to see wherethis goes!

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:39 am
Picklesole says...

I like how you started with Rhys' parents meeting, and I also love the almost poetic vernacular. Please, when you have the next part posted, tell me!! :)

“All stories are true," Skarpi said. "But this one really happened, if that's what you mean.”
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind