The Secret Lives of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

by Spiritree

Wow!

A friend sent me a battered, dog-eared copy of this book with a lovely note saying she could only think of me while she read it. I must say, it was amazing. I later found out that it was Kidd's first novel, and I was floored.

The most remarkable thing was her language-- it seemed so simple and yet I couldn't wait to read what happened next. It reminded me, as a writer, to not let things like descriptions and dialogue get so wordy. It's unecessary.

The book is about a young girl's adventures to find out about the mother she never knew... that's all I'll say, except it's amazing and you should read it now!

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:00 pm
Ailam Remard says...

My aunt bought it for me at a garage sale and mailed it to me telling me about how good it was and how I should read it the second I got it!

I really loved it. I finished it in, like, a day? Lol. It was really good.

-Ailam

Luvzi12 wrote a review...

I really want to read it, but I'm terrified of bees! Like, I have a phobia, I liked watching Pushing Daisies until it had bees in and I had to watch it with a friend who told me when I could open my eyes/uncover my ears because I was so scared!

So, can anyone tell me how heavy a part the bees actually play in the plot? I want to read it, so if they're not an overly large feature, I definitely would consider reading it. I love Dakota Fanning too, but if the bees are going to be buzzing everywhere i might be the first of her films that I will have to miss...

Medusa says...

This is most definetly on me "to read" list. As is the Mermaid Chair, by Kidd.

Spiritree says...

I just found out they're making a movie that will be out later this year! It will have Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson, and Dakota Fanning. I'm so excited! It should be a book club event! :pirate3:

Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:32 am
bubblewrapped wrote a review...

I read it a few weeks ago, and like you I was struck by the simplicity and elegance of her prose. I'll add my recommendation to yours: definitely a must-read!

(PS: Welcome to YWS :))

have u ever noticed how ugly rosy-lipped batfish r? and not like in the “aw ur so ugly ur cute” way that like opossums r — no they’re just hideously ugly beasts that should never have existed and r the epitome of evolution fails. the stupidity, blank look, head emptiness. they’re horrible n everyone who likes them r horrible too. they truly have the worst fan-base >:[
— Shady