z

Young Writers Society


12+

Friends...?

by SpecialClodChild


What is wrong with me?

Why do I feel this way, so doubting of myself?

Do I have friends, or selfish enemies?

Why do I cry so much, like a waterfall of misery?

Can I change the direction of my emotions, or is it too late?

Do people care about me, or are they just sorry for me

and hate to see me cry?

Why does no one notice my suffering?

Is there a way to stop the spreading jealousy?

I don’t like the pain.

It has been too long and too much.

Please.

Show some compassion.

Don’t be like all the rest of them, so ignorant and selfish.

Didn’t you always want what’s best for the world?

Start small.

It might not seem like much, but it will help.

Or will it?

...

Am I worth it...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 134
Reviews: 21

Donate
Fri May 11, 2018 5:02 am
Eve wrote a review...



I agree a lot with what Fukase said; write an emotional piece in the moment then let it sit for a while before finishing and polishing it up.
I REALLY am into this 'lrycal' poetry that doesn't rhyme, the one thing that gave me trouble was that there really was no flow/ rhythm to the poem, even if it doesn't rhyme, give it a rythm to follow. :)




User avatar
173 Reviews


Points: 3187
Reviews: 173

Donate
Tue May 08, 2018 7:17 pm
View Likes
fukase wrote a review...



Hi,
I have no introduction; hitherto, I love your avatar. Cute.

In a skimmed read, your poem is so nice and honest and I really can't say this, but I understand your feeling painted in this poem. You wrote it simple and short, but still there were some points you could try to make it more understandable because you know, when we are expressing ourselves especially in writing poetry, if it is done in one seating, it is more like a self-read poem and not to be read by others because you might think your poem is clear, but for me, I am not in your shoe, so a piece of advice, after you'd done writing a poem in the moment, one day or even one week later, read back your poem and improve it when you have a better mood and make me feel like I am in your shoe.

Alright, sorry for preaching.

This poem started out in a nice flow with concrete words were used, and in the middle or in the climax (if this was a story), the flow started to run away which is for me was somewhat in an abrupt way which its pacing went off a little. I didn't mean you can't do the transition from a slow ride to a fast one; I mean you should be more aware of the transition done and don't rush things because poetry is a whole, if the beginning is okay, but the end isn't, it fails the readers. If you want me to point which part I meant, I put it in the quotation below.

Do people care about me, or are they just sorry for me
and hate to see me cry?
Why does no one notice my suffering?
Is there a way to stop the spreading jealousy?
I don’t like the pain.
It has been too long and too much.
Please.
Show some compassion.


Another point to ponder about, the bursting of questions from the beginning might be overdone. It is a nice way to start, and don't go overboard. The Please. there might be a word that brings a lot of meanings and one of it is a plea of something. I might be a little nitpick-y about words used, please is not a good word there because the whole flow of the poem just snapped at that point and the poem tried to end as quick as it could and left some things you might can add to tune the flow of the poem. In term of the mechanic, (I don't wanna touch on grammar by the way) the flow of the poem should be more better, revising it will definitely help you as I said in my preaching in the start.

Story&meaning-wise, again, anyone who knows the meaning of friendship, will know the meaning of betrayal. Sorry to make it personal; however, just a few days back, I had a quarrel with my really best friend (like we were inseparable in the past weeks), and now, I am having a flash of loneliness and regret of breaking a friendship that supposedly lasted forever. Sorry for my drama, but what a poem if not about life. Although I guess maybe your point in this poem is about you cannot trust anyone in the world, but the pain of loneliness and being lonely (same meaning, I know) are heavy even a poem is hard to relieve such a feeling.

Start small.
It might not seem like much, but it will help.
Or will it?


One word for above, expand. It doesn't really make sense in a fast read, show us more about this. I am not a psychic.

All in all, write more and never stop writing. Feel the breeze in the air, feel the calmness of the world, poem is something beautiful. Good luck.

~Memo




User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Tue May 08, 2018 7:53 am
Radrook wrote a review...



Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said:

The poem is grammatically correct and there are no spelling mistakes. I like the use of the simile “tears like waterfalls” and adding several more will help to make this piece more poetic. I like the clear way that of psychological pain the speaker feels is initially expressed. The yearning for compassion and self-understanding was moving as was the distrust in sincerity.

However, after this mood of uncertainty concerning motives is established the writer tells us that the people involved are ignorant and selfish and jealous.

"Is there a way to stop the spreading jealousy?"

"Don’t be like all the rest of them, so ignorant and selfish."

This made me pause to wonder, if the speaker knows that the people are selfish, ignorant and jealous, then why ask about their motives or express confusion about their behavior? Obviously they aren't friends.


Suggestion

The two parts of the piece contradict each other and need to be brought into logical harmony.
A person can’t know and not know the reasons for people’s behavior simultaneously.

Am I worth it...
[Am I worth it?]

The composition starts as a dramatic monologue directed at no one in particular and seems more like an introspection that the reader is allowed to eavesdrop on.

Dramatic Monologue
https://www.britannica.com/art/dramatic-monologue

Then at the end, it suddenly shifts to the second person singular “you”. It would be better for the poem to remain consistent.

The questions about ability to change left me wondering why the speaker has doubts in his ability to change. What extenuating circumstances are feeding this sense of helplessness?
What are the jealous people jealous about? The description of someone weeping in misery doesn't exactly inspire jealousy.

Looking forward to reading more of your poems.





The things you are passionate about are not random, they are your calling.
— Fabienne Fredrickson